Illuminations Viewing from Rose & Crown??

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
I hope this is the right forum for this post!

I have only ever seen Illuminations from around the lagoon and never been able to get an ADR at R&C or at the Mexico pavilion during Illuminations. I have an ADR at 7:45PM for my next trip in May. I have dined for lunch at Rose & Crown once but never in the evening.

Is there a thread somewhere that gives standard advice for this? Should I request a table somewhere in particular? I thought I read there is dining on a patio? If I have a table where I cannot see the lagoon do guests typically move somewhere at 9PM to get a view?

Any and all advice is welcome on how to make this work to get a good viewing spot! Thanks!

:wizard:

Last edited:
I hope this is the right thread for this post!

I have only ever seen Illuminations from around the lagoon and never been able to get an ADR at R&C or at the Mexico pavilion during Illuminations. I have an ADR at 7:45PM for my next trip in May. I have dined for lunch at Rose & Crown once but never in the evening.

Is there a thread somewhere that gives standard advice for this? Should I request a table somewhere in particular? I thought I read there is dining on a patio? If I have a table where I cannot see the lagoon do guests typically move somewhere at 9PM to get a view?

Any and all advice is welcome on how to make this work to get a good viewing spot! Thanks!

There are very few tables with a good view of IllumiNations.
The "standard procedure" is that most guests simply pause their dining, go outside the R&C building, watch IllumiNations, then return to finish dining.

I hope this is the right thread for this post!

Lat Oct. we had a 8:20pm ADR at the Rose and Crown when Illuminations was scheduled for 9pm. We did get a seat on the outside patio, but it was close to the building, so the overhang prevented a clear view of the show, especially the fireworks. (I understand it's really luck of the draw if you can get a table close to the water or not.)

However, the cast member serving us let us know the folks at a table closer to the water had just left. He let us move to that table right before the show started and served us our desserts there! It was some nice pixie dust!

Even sitting outside the canopy hides the higher fireworks. And there's no guarantee you'll be able to get a seat out on the patio. We were able to get a seat out there when we went but still had to get up and walk down to the bottom by the lake to see.

There are very few tables with a good view of IllumiNations.
The "standard procedure" is that most guests simply pause their dining, go outside the R&C building, watch IllumiNations, then return to finish dining.
It sounds like from your post and most of the others, if you actually want to see Illuminations, then a Rose & Crown ADR is not that helpful in the end. Heck, if folks go outside the R&C building to watch Illuminations then you have gained very little in that regard. Is it pretty much the same at the Mexico restaurant?

A few weeks ago I had a California Grill ADR and they made it easy to see MK fireworks. I guess I thought R&C was similar.

I will be a first time visitor that night and do want to see Illuminations. Maybe I should cancel R&C?

It sounds like from your post and most of the others, if you actually want to see Illuminations, then a Rose & Crown ADR is not that helpful in the end. Heck, if folks go outside the R&C building to watch Illuminations then you have gained very little in that regard.

1. Is it pretty much the same at the Mexico restaurant?

A few weeks ago I had a California Grill ADR and they made it easy to see MK fireworks.
2. I guess I thought R&C was similar.

I will be a first time visitor that night and do want to see Illuminations.
3. Maybe I should cancel R&C?

1. You have no control over where you sit, and very few tables have a clear view of IllumiNations.
2. It's not.
3. The two things do not have to be related.
Dine where you like (at a time NOT close to IllumiNations)
and then see IllumiNations from one of dozens of great viewing spots around WS Lagoon.

There are so many places to view IllumiNations at Epcot's World Showcase
that are wonderful in each of its own way that its futile to try to list them... so I will. ;)

• Bridge between UK and France
• Norway area
• Upper level (outside front terrace) of the Matsu No Ma Lounge in Japan
• Italy, near the Gondolas
• Mexico, bridge to the right of the Cantina (as you face the lagoon.)
• UK, the Rose & Crown outdoor dining area (ressies required.)
• UK, just to the left of the Rose & Crown (as you face the lagoon.)
• Many, many more great spots.

Be sure to avoid any tree branches that block your overhead view,
and watch out for any "islands" in the water
that block your view of the "center" of the lagoon.

On a busy evening, arrive at your chosen spot 45+ min. before show time.

Most Important Tip:
Don't stand down-wind of the fireworks.
Their SMOKE will ruin the show.

So, If the wind is blowing into your face as you look towards the Lagoon, you are in the wrong spot.
;)

-----------------------

Epcot-WS-GE_040916_zpsdz271kit.jpg

------------------------

We have watched Illuminations from the Rose and Crown quite a few times.

Generally we try for a 7:30 - 7:45 ADR in order to see Illuminations.

The only tables that are good for watching the show are the ones outside, in the rear area of the patio.

There of course, is no guarantee that you will get one of those tables, but asking politely, and offering that you would be happy to wait in order to have one might give you the best shot. We have wound up with the table we wanted more often than not.

The view may not be the best view in the park, but if you get a decent table, it is pretty good, and certainly quite a relaxing and enjoyable way to end the evening, watching Illuminations, enjoying your desert, and a drink.

We had reservations at Spice Road Table in February and watched Illuminations from their patio. It was a decent view. Although for a first time seeing it, it might not be the best.

Brutal honesty time.:)

IMHO R&C and IllumiNations viewing receives way too much "hype".

There just aren't enough Patio tables to go around and some of them even have obstructed views.:)

There are a few tables in the "open to anyone" area to the left of Rose & Crown Patio with excellent ROE views.

1. 17395797965_534d658501_z.jpg

Brutal honesty time.:)

IMHO R&C and IllumiNations viewing receives way too much "hype".

There just aren't enough Patio tables to go around and some of them even have obstructed views.:)

There are a few tables in the "open to anyone" area to the left of Rose & Crown Patio with excellent ROE views.

1. 17395797965_534d658501_z.jpg

So when folks post about the viewing area for R&C that folks can move to that can't see from their table ............. where is that? I've never been able to figure out where that is that wouldn't have tables in it. Your last picture "open to everyone" has always been open for us to use. We have a couple times but we still prefer other spots.

IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2866.JPG We had a 6:50 reservation and we had a good view from the patio

I think we got pretty lucky as it was downpouring right before our reservation and stopped just as we checked in and it looked as if they hadn't been seating people on the patio. no one else was out there as we were seated. It was amazing. :lovestruc

We watched Illuminations from the Rose & Crown patio with friends last July and it was wonderful. We requested a table on the patio and didn't really wait too long to get it actually. We were not up against the railing, but at the second row of tables, but the view was wonderful. Possibly a bit obstructed, but we didn't really notice.

Is 7:15 too early? I'm hoping it may help with getting a good table. Even if you have to move from the table it seems easier and more pleasant than staking out a spot 45 minutes early.

Is 7:15 too early? I'm hoping it may help with getting a good table. Even if you have to move from the table it seems easier and more pleasant than staking out a spot 45 minutes early.

Our ADR was at 7:35, we waited about 15-20 minutes. We were dining with friends and took our time. Ordered appetizers, entrees, then dessert. And we were finishing dessert when the fireworks began.

It sounds like from your post and most of the others, if you actually want to see Illuminations, then a Rose & Crown ADR is not that helpful in the end. Heck, if folks go outside the R&C building to watch Illuminations then you have gained very little in that regard. Is it pretty much the same at the Mexico restaurant?

A few weeks ago I had a California Grill ADR and they made it easy to see MK fireworks. I guess I thought R&C was similar.

I will be a first time visitor that night and do want to see Illuminations. Maybe I should cancel R&C?

Viewing from the outside MX quick service also requires getting a seat over along the edge of the railing - or else you have to go over there & stand next to the tables to watch - the roof cuts off the higher fireworks. The view from inside La Hacienda is OK - but of course you're watching through windows so it's not 100% perfect. But the windows are very tall and therefore it doesn't cut off the higher fireworks.

So when folks post about the viewing area for R&C that folks can move to that can't see from their table ............. where is that? I've never been able to figure out where that is that wouldn't have tables in it. Your last picture "open to everyone" has always been open for us to use. We have a couple times but we still prefer other spots.

I believe it's #8 on Robo's map above. Not 100% sure.

We are 3/3 in getting a good patio table for Illuminations at R&C. All ADRs were between 7:10-7:20 with 9:00 show. We asked politely for a patio seat for Illuminations, and said we didn't mind waiting. Got seated between 7:30-7:45. Ordered apps and finished entrée around 8:50, and served dessert after the show.

I believe it's #8 on Robo's map above. Not 100% sure.

We are 3/3 in getting a good patio table for Illuminations at R&C. All ADRs were between 7:10-7:20 with 9:00 show. We asked politely for a patio seat for Illuminations, and said we didn't mind waiting. Got seated between 7:30-7:45. Ordered apps and finished entrée around 8:50, and served dessert after the show.

Not either of the #8's on the map.
Those are reserved for private parties and are not available to walk-up guests 75% of the time (or more.)

The standing area(s) for R&C guests is much closer to 9a.
There are paved walkways that approach the fenced-in R&C patio tables.

This was our plan in 2015, had a later ADR and asked for the patio, waited for a spot. We didn't have a good view but they have a small standing area for their guests only. We watched from there and then had dessert while the park emptied out. Worked great. It beats wasting time lining up way early to catch the show. Our time was spent eating a nice dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter