• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Illuminations hx question

snyderla

<font color=red>DVC Lori<br><font color=navy>DH lo
DH asked me a question about the history of Illuminations this morning & although I don't know the answer, I know where to find it!!:D He wonders if the show has always been the same. I seem to remember more of a light show the first time I saw it, in 1995, and I don't remember the earth being there. Anyone able to help us out? Has it always been the same show?

thank you!
Lori

I don't have very good answers to this, but this is what I know. Before Illumnations the firworks and laser show was done to the 1776 Overture and it was a totally differrent show. Yes there were more lasers in the sky then> I loved that show and when they announced they were going to change it, I was so sad. Then I saw Illumnations and I totally love it.

I think, if I am wrong I know someone will get you the correct info, that Illmnations and the TON parade came in at the Millimuem celebration.

The current version of Illuminations premiered in October 1999. It was revamped for the Millenium Celebration.

The first show to appear nightly on the World Showcase Lagoon was 'Laserphonic Fantasy" Eventually the show was updated and the name changed to "IllumiNations" There have been a few changes since then, generally every 5 years or so. Prior to 'Reflections of Earth' (the current show which debuted for the Millenium Celebration) the show was 'IllumiNations 25,' which debuted for the 25th anniversary of WDW in October of 1995.

Thanks, Safari Steve. Just one question-can you help me with dates on those? When did the first Illuminations show begin (the Laserphonic Fantasy show) and how long did it last before it was replaced? I don't think there was any nighttime fireworks show for our first, maybe second visits-1987 and 1989. Also, little trivia question-since it began (what is it-about 14 years?), how many times has Illuminations ever been cancelled, whether for weather or another reason? I think it's amazing that such a beautiful, elaborate show is done every night in Epcot and that I never have had to worry about missing it.

Edit!
June 9, 1984: Laserphonic Fantasy debuts at EPCOT Center.
January 30, 1988: IllumiNations officially debuts at EPCOT Center.
October 3, 1996: IllumiNations 25 debuts at Epcot.

Here's another interesting fireworks-related fun-fact:
Tinkerbell began flying over the Magic Kingdom as part of Fantasy in the Sky on July 3, 1985.

Thank you very much safari steve & everyone for your help. It always so fun to learn more interesting tidbits about the place we love!

Lori

Simba's Mom-I believe the only reason Illuminations is ever cancelled is because of very high winds.I believe it has only been cancelled a very few times.I understand that once the charges are set,they have to be released,so they do not cancel the show.I saw it one night this past April during the middle of a VERY intense lightning storm!It was UNBELIEVEABLE!There was lightning,thunder,wind and torrential rain serving as an amazing backdrop for Illuminations.There is really no way to describe what it was like-you just had to be there!:D

Thanks a lot! Also, don't they say that there's some gas release after Illluminations, around 10:00 or so? I'd love to be around to hear that some day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter