Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

Well, drat. We always do R&C for Illuminations, but with 2 adults and 2 13-year olds, that's not really a good value for us. For the 2 adults, it would be fine, since we always get a bottle of wine, but I am not a huge fan of the entree choices. I'll wait and hear experiences before I cancel our July reservation, but it is kind of a bummer that one of our favorite traditions is probably a goner. Should've known it would only be a matter of time before there was a premium on it! Honestly, I would do it for the 2 adults and have a nice, relaxing dinner were there different entree choices. I don't eat seafood. I don't eat eggs. That's not leaving a lot for me, personally. If they just let you pick off the menu, I'd totally do it.

I’m find with the concept but the menu would not work for me. I cannot eat dairy. I’ll be looking for reviews and to see how accommodating they can be.

Also regarding alcohol - can you order anything from the bar or is it house wines and a “special cocktail”

I'll wait and hear experiences before I cancel our July reservation

Why would you need to cancel a reservation?

This package is specific to the patio, and prior to 1/17, it was and is impossible to reserve seating on the patio.

The inside-the-restaurant menu is not changing.

Why would you need to cancel a reservation?

This package is specific to the patio, and prior to 1/17, it was and is impossible to reserve seating on the patio.

The inside-the-restaurant menu is not changing.

Because we always sit outside for Illuminations. In the, I don't know, 20 years or so that we've been doing this, we had to take an inside table one time. I never demand it, just ask for it when we check in and let them know we are willing to wait for the outside table, instead of taking the first available. Sure, it isn't an outside reservation, but we really haven't had an issue with it and as FL residents, we do this pretty often. If they are using the majority of outside tables for this new package, then that cuts down on the available outside tables. I don't have any desire to sit inside again and then go stand somewhere for Illuminations. Defeats the purpose. The food isn't that great, lol. We like the whole experience of sitting out there, having our wine and dessert, and watching the show. But, like I said, I'll wait and see what experiences people end up actually having. It isn't going to ruin my vacation or anything, but I'd miss our little last night before we leave tradition.

There are only two of us, and I really love Illuminations, and I once had a wonderful view of Illuminations from the outside seating, down a level or two. I am going to sign up if it’s available.

Am I the only one who thinks $85 is not a bad price point compared to everything else? An app, entree, dessert, and let's say an average of two cocktails (maybe that's just me :drinking1) is going to run close to $75. Guess it's a big jump if you're only planning an entree, but for me it seems like a better value than most dessert parties :confused3

Nope I agree too compared to the dessert parties. For those it seems like you are paying the premium and getting really not great desserts. While we loved the Plaza Garden Seating for HEA in MK the kids ate maybe 2 things and husband and I were full from dinner. Here at least you are also taking care of a meal, and drinks for us! We've been waiting for the FEA dessert party to open up for June 2019 but strongly considering this now instead. Was actually planning on Fish and Chips for dinner that night anyway!

I did make my 7:50 PM dinner reservation in early June in the hopes that we could get good Illuminations viewing, but I am still going to keep the reservation because I truly want to try this restaurant and we (our entire group of 12) can always eat and then go outside to find a spot to watch the show. We are already spending tons of money on dining so I don't want to change our booking to this new package.

I'm going to try to book this for our trip in June, although I'm leaning towards the dessert party. We have a toddler who will be free, but then a 15 yr old who will not eat anything off the adult menu. I'm not even sure he'd eat anything off the kid's menu. However, desserts, he'd eat. Since the dessert party probably won't drop June dates until at least March, I will book this as an option if I can't get the dessert party. The toddler also has a peanut allergy, so have to factor that in.

well that sucks. I have a reservation there for 8:00 so we can watch the show. I am not paying $85 to go there. The food is good but not that good.

Same here. I just booked an 8:00 for our summer trip and I was so proud of myself. Bummer! The best laid plans of mice and men....

(The MOUSE had the good plan on this one - hahaha - little joke for any Steinbeck fans out there.)

I may still try to book the package, as it does sound like a special farewell to the show, and with unlimited drinks it makes a *bit* more sense financially.

Two questions:
  1. Are they likely to offer a vegetarian option? (Unlike some folks, I do NOT consider fish "vegetarian." Eyeballs and mouth = animal.)
  2. Does anyone know whether reservations for things like this open at midnight or in the morning online?

Last edited:
1. Would be really nice, and it would only make sense, if they allow the vegetarian entree to be ordered.I

Does anyone know whether or not this will be able to be booked online or if it must be called in?

Very interested to see what is being offered for the "unlimited drinks" Highly doubt it means ordering anything from the bar.

Super curious what the drink selections will be! I'm very interested in booking this! Can't wait for a January 18th review!

We are one of those dreaded families that camp out at a table for a couple of hours. But over those hours rack up a sizable bill and I alway tip 25% so I spend $300+ (4 people).

So Disney is proposing an even higher cost with a limited menu in a shorter amount of time.

I love R&C but this is not a good deal.

Because we always sit outside for Illuminations. In the, I don't know, 20 years or so that we've been doing this, we had to take an inside table one time. I never demand it, just ask for it when we check in and let them know we are willing to wait for the outside table, instead of taking the first available. Sure, it isn't an outside reservation, but we really haven't had an issue with it and as FL residents, we do this pretty often. If they are using the majority of outside tables for this new package, then that cuts down on the available outside tables. I don't have any desire to sit inside again and then go stand somewhere for Illuminations. Defeats the purpose. The food isn't that great, lol. We like the whole experience of sitting out there, having our wine and dessert, and watching the show. But, like I said, I'll wait and see what experiences people end up actually having. It isn't going to ruin my vacation or anything, but I'd miss our little last night before we leave tradition.

Same! We had this down to a science and probably did it 6 times over the past 10 years with a perfect patio dinner and view each time. Bummer. Not worth it to me. We’ll eat elsewhere and just find a spot to watch from 15 minutes ahead.

We are one of those dreaded families that camp out at a table for a couple of hours. But over those hours rack up a sizable bill and I alway tip 25% so I spend $300+ (4 people).

So Disney is proposing an even higher cost with a limited menu in a shorter amount of time.

I love R&C but this is not a good deal.
Same here. We looked for the 7:15 ADR, ordered apps, entrée, and dessert. Dessert was served either just before or after Illuminations.

90 for a two course meal, and 1.75 hrs for a three course meal is our average (from actual ADR time to walk out of restaurant).

Granted, we have an allergy in the family, so we need to speak to the chef, which slows things down a bit. But, not by that much.

This is really disappointing for our family. We've always booked Rose & Crown on our Illuminations night, asked nicely, and gotten a seat outdoors. Honestly, the kids and I really aren't even fans of the food - but having a good view without being smushed by those around you or having people in front of you blocking a clear view of what's happening on the water made it way worth the price of an entree. But having an upcharge for it with extras I have no interest in being added on? Nope. There's 6 of us - it would be cheaper for me to book an Illuminations cruise than this package! And since I care more about the view than the food that might be the better option now. But I hate how much Disney is charging extra and squeezing out all the money they can for every little thing these days. Ticket increases beyond the norm, food increases beyond the norm, expensive packages for things that used to be open to just about anyone, resort parking fee...will they ever stop adding to the list?

And for those of you saying this is a bargain - maybe it is for you, but that's not the case for the average guest. And Disney knows it. It's just like the dining plan - they offer it because it makes them extra money. They make it sound like a value when for the average guest it is not a value - it is a way for them to squeeze even more out of you. I'm over it to the extent that for the first time ever, we'll be staying off-site on our 2019 trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter