Ignore. Just practicing posting pics

Discovery Island 1975 I'm the little speck on the boat. :goodvibes
KSCN00052.jpg

The old Teepees and totem pole 1977 (Thats me on the totem pole)
KSCN0006.jpg

The famous Bobcat Bend sign
KSCN0008.jpg

Inside a FW TT...BEFORE there were cabins. Who remembers that! 1977 Dad was really rockin' those plaid pants at the Fort! :lmao:
KSCN0009-2.jpg

Outside a FW TT...Before there were cabins. 1977
KSCN0010.jpg

KFK and boys w/the Munks! 2008
04723d57.jpg

A special thanks to those of you who dropped by to ignore me! LOL!!!!!!

My family also stayed in the travel trailers. It was our 2nd visit to WDW. Our first was in 1972 and we stayed at a Days Inn. Fighting the traffic everyday was not fun. My parents decided the next time we went it would be at FW.

:earsboy::earsboy::earsboy::earsboy:We stayed in one of the Fleetwood "cabins" for the 25th Anniversary. My parents decided that since we had been there in 1972, the whole family need to be there for the 25th and they were paying. How can you say no to that.

We stayed at the Contemporary in 1980 for our honeymoon. Our room opened onto the beach. You could swim and there was someone walking around taking drink orders.

In 1989 my parents had a MH and we stayed with our 3 kids at FW. I have pictures of them playing at the beach and swimming. Will have to invest in a scanner.

Fort Wilderness has definitely changed over the years, but I still get that excited feeling as soon as I get on Disney property. We will be spending our 30th wedding anniversary at The Fort in August. People think I'm crazy. They don't understand why I wouldn't want to stay some place else. I tell I wouldn't want to stay any place other than The Fort. I Love It!!!

Thanks for all the pictures.

Oh, I know it was good old lake water in there! Some day, I will have to re-tell my River Country water moccasin story.

Who? ;)

What? ;)

OK, I bit my tongue, as you requested. I am sorry for dissing your burger wrapper. I actually really do want to see it. My apologies to KFK's Mom, too.

I think when that burger wrapper scan gets posted, I am going to designate this thread as the best thread of 2010!

We are almost to 100 posts, here.

All on a thread that we were told to ignore.

Only on the camping boards!

TCD

I saw a snake in RC too! How cool is that? Not very....we were scrambling to get away from that thing!

You know who and what! :rotfl2: My sides are still aching from laughing at that!

I really wasn't offended about the wrapper.....and I didn't even tell mom. ;) Besides, I know you'll be back on board the KFK train when I post that one! :laughing: It will be tomorrow before I can get over there. Mom and Dad are keeping the kiddos tomorrow for our date night....whatever the heck that is! :rotfl: I forgot! When we drop the kids off, I'll try to go ahead and scan the greatly anticipated wrapper at their house before DH and I leave. I really hope it is not a letdown after all of the buildup! :scared:

I never would have believed this thread would have gone this far. I expected a few wise cracks over the title, but I didn't think it would make it past 10 or so posts......and it's my first time starting a thread too! How exciting. Maybe I'll title my TR in July ... "Ignore this it's only KFK's TR". :goodvibes

KFK, LOVE all the old pictures! I have tried to find all our old pictures, unfortunately my family is not as "organized" as your mom! I guess at the time they're taken you don't realize how valuable they will be years from then.
I love the picture of baby "reading" and makes me think of one our my family's funniest memories of the fort. My son was just learning to read, and we were at the beach for the EWP when he sat in front of a sign for some time before declaring " I know what this sign says!" And proud as a peacock, read "NO FISHING FOR DUCKS!!" In reality it said No fishing from docks, but he was close, and I was proud! :love: Fun memories!

No fishing for ducks! How precious is that! I'd have been proud too! That's so cute! Not sure how far back you went, but there are some really old pics at the beginning of the thread. Discovery island, RC and the FW TT's from the 70s.
BTW, thanks! Glad you enjoyed them.

My family also stayed in the travel trailers. It was our 2nd visit to WDW. Our first was in 1972 and we stayed at a Days Inn. Fighting the traffic everyday was not fun. My parents decided the next time we went it would be at FW.

You're the first one I've found who also stayed in a FW Fleetwood TT. I've only stayed off property once.....never again....I remember that and I was only a kid! Dad also said never again! The only reason we did that time was because a friend of dad's and his family went with us and they didn't want to spend a little extra to stay on property. Stoooooooopid!

:We stayed at the Contemporary in 1980 for our honeymoon. Our room opened onto the beach. You could swim and there was someone walking around taking drink orders.

In 1989 my parents had a MH and we stayed with our 3 kids at FW. I have pictures of them playing at the beach and swimming. Will have to invest in a scanner.

Fort Wilderness has definitely changed over the years, but I still get that excited feeling as soon as I get on Disney property. We will be spending our 30th wedding anniversary at The Fort in August. People think I'm crazy. They don't understand why I wouldn't want to stay some place else. I tell I wouldn't want to stay any place other than The Fort. I Love It!!!

Thanks for all the pictures.

Yes, I remember swimming in Bay Lake too. Unfortunately, mom didn't get any pics. You said you stayed in a "cabin" during the 25th anniversary. Was that in one of the more residential type Fleetwood trailers? If you saw the brochures, you may have noticed that FW started out with TT campers, then more residential looking trailers and now the log style cabins. I never stayed in the residential trailers....only a TT once and the cabins they have now once. All other times at FW were in dad's camper or our camper now. Stayed at WL on our honeymoon. It was beautiful! Fifth floor, facing the pool and Bay Lake!

FW has changed a lot, but I still love it! I do wish they would bring back a lot of the things that have been laid to rest. I hope to goodness they NEVER stop the campfire and movie! We may have to gather our torches and pitchforks! If given a choice between Fort Wilderness in my TT or a suite at the Grand Floridian, I'd choose the Fort every time! I love having my coffee under the awning during a good afternoon shower, hopping on a bike or going for a spin in the golf cart. My boys are still young enough to ride the ponies and we're going to let my 6 yr old fish this year. Can't do that at a hotel! I don't like long winding hallways when I can open my door to nature!

In case any of you didn't pick up on it......I love the Fort!!!!

OK, the time has arrived.

The moment you've all been waiting on.

I don't want you to wait any longer.

So without further adieu.......

The FOOD WRAPPER FROM 1975! AS AN ADDED BONUS I HAVE ALSO LOCATED A FRENCH FRY BASKET FROM 1973! HOPE IT IS ALL YOU'D HOPED IT WOULD BE!
Foodwrapper75.jpg

FryBasket73.jpg

It was worth the wait! Love how the wrapper says Happy Birthday Mickey 50 Years. But as cool as that it, the french fry basket is even better in my mind! The design, the colors...that's the early 70's!

I saw a snake in RC too! How cool is that? Not very....we were scrambling to get away from that thing!

You know who and what! :rotfl2: My sides are still aching from laughing at that!

I really wasn't offended about the wrapper.....and I didn't even tell mom. ;) Besides, I know you'll be back on board the KFK train when I post that one! :laughing: It will be tomorrow before I can get over there. Mom and Dad are keeping the kiddos tomorrow for our date night....whatever the heck that is! :rotfl: I forgot! When we drop the kids off, I'll try to go ahead and scan the greatly anticipated wrapper at their house before DH and I leave. I really hope it is not a letdown after all of the buildup! :scared:

I never would have believed this thread would have gone this far. I expected a few wise cracks over the title, but I didn't think it would make it past 10 or so posts......and it's my first time starting a thread too! How exciting. Maybe I'll title my TR in July ... "Ignore this it's only KFK's TR". :goodvibes

No fishing for ducks! How precious is that! I'd have been proud too! That's so cute! Not sure how far back you went, but there are some really old pics at the beginning of the thread. Discovery island, RC and the FW TT's from the 70s.
BTW, thanks! Glad you enjoyed them.

You're the first one I've found who also stayed in a FW Fleetwood TT. I've only stayed off property once.....never again....I remember that and I was only a kid! Dad also said never again! The only reason we did that time was because a friend of dad's and his family went with us and they didn't want to spend a little extra to stay on property. Stoooooooopid!

Yes, I remember swimming in Bay Lake too. Unfortunately, mom didn't get any pics. You said you stayed in a "cabin" during the 25th anniversary. Was that in one of the more residential type Fleetwood trailers? If you saw the brochures, you may have noticed that FW started out with TT campers, then more residential looking trailers and now the log style cabins. I never stayed in the residential trailers....only a TT once and the cabins they have now once. All other times at FW were in dad's camper or our camper now. Stayed at WL on our honeymoon. It was beautiful! Fifth floor, facing the pool and Bay Lake!

FW has changed a lot, but I still love it! I do wish they would bring back a lot of the things that have been laid to rest. I hope to goodness they NEVER stop the campfire and movie! We may have to gather our torches and pitchforks! If given a choice between Fort Wilderness in my TT or a suite at the Grand Floridian, I'd choose the Fort every time! I love having my coffee under the awning during a good afternoon shower, hopping on a bike or going for a spin in the golf cart. My boys are still young enough to ride the ponies and we're going to let my 6 yr old fish this year. Can't do that at a hotel! I don't like long winding hallways when I can open my door to nature!

In case any of you didn't pick up on it......I love the Fort!!!!

Yes, it was the residential type cabins. They actually were really nice inside and the maid service was nice too. A 55 and over community soulth of WDW bought the cabins and have them for rent. It's The Village of La Casa Del Sol.

Wow! Love how much more this thread has been ignored and all the great pics!

We stayed in those residential type cabins on our first trip to the fort in 2000. Here are a few pictures. I think the next trip in 2001 they had all been replaced by the current cabins.

Here are some pictures of that trip. A few I posted on another thread, but if this gets declared the best thread of 2010 I want them here too. :rotfl:

Amazing how much has already changed in 10 years since that first trip.

DCP00526.jpg

PIC0001_5.jpg

DCP00645.jpg

DCP00646.jpg

Unknown-4.jpg

DCP00647.jpg

Unknown-5.jpg

Unknown-1.jpg

Unknown-2.jpg

Wow! Love how much more this thread has been ignored and all the great pics!

We stayed in those residential type cabins on our first trip to the fort in 2000. Here are a few pictures. I think the next trip in 2001 they had all been replaced by the current cabins.

Here are some pictures of that trip. A few I posted on another thread, but if this gets declared the best thread of 2010 I want them here too. :rotfl:

Amazing how much has already changed in 10 years since that first trip.

DCP00526.jpg

PIC0001_5.jpg

DCP00645.jpg

DCP00646.jpg

Unknown-4.jpg

DCP00647.jpg

Unknown-5.jpg

Unknown-1.jpg

Unknown-2.jpg

What truly AWESOME pics !:thumbsup2

Wow Keep Swimming Dory! I agree with Frank! These pics are AWESOME! Those pics of all the signs of FW past are fantastic! I wish we'd gotten some like that too! Priceless! Glad to have you aboard the Best Thread of 2010, but it won't be official until TCD views the wrapper pic....I think the french fry basket from 1973 may put it over the top! ;)

I really do fully appreciate your pics! DH and I were at the Fort in 1997 and by the time we got back there all the Musket Mickey's and other landmark signs were gone. How sad! The powers that be at Disney need to read these camping boards and LISTEN to the people! Tradition is one of the greatest aspects of going to Disney year after year.....especially the very special Fort Wilderness. IMHO.

Where are you TCD? Don't pull another vanishing act! I mean it! We'll load up and track you down like an escaped convict! Dogs and all!

I'm a little late on this thread, but I am from Wisconsin, and married someone in SC, and now we are only 6 hours from WDW, and he loves to camp!!!! He had never been to FW unitl I told him tht was where we always went as kids...piled into the back of the station wagon and drove 22 hours from WI...but loved every minute of it!!! I camped for the first time as a baby in 1981, and continued for many years in a tent, and then went back with my soon to be husband in 2005. We loved it! Just had to post...becuase this has brought about such memories!

Yes, TCD has been a bit quiet the past couple days. Hmmm, considering it was a weekend...is it possible he was at the Fort???

Yes, TCD has been a bit quiet the past couple days. Hmmm, considering it was a weekend...is it possible he was at the Fort???

Don't I wish. No Fort for TCD. Just a busy, mundane weekend around the TCD hacienda.

Where are you TCD? Don't pull another vanishing act! I mean it! We'll load up and track you down like an escaped convict! Dogs and all!

Don't worry, I wouldn't abandon the best thread of 2010. There, I said it.

So without further adieu.......

The FOOD WRAPPER FROM 1975! AS AN ADDED BONUS I HAVE ALSO LOCATED A FRENCH FRY BASKET FROM 1973! HOPE IT IS ALL YOU'D HOPED IT WOULD BE!

WOW! I never thought I would see the day! And the french fry basket, too!

This thread is now officially TCD's favorite thread of 2010!

Congratulations.

I'll bet your mom never thought the whole world would one day gaze upon her burger wrapper (and french fry basket) in awe.

Great photos. The one I included in the quote above surprised me. I have been visiting the Fort regularly since the mid-90's, including visits to the Wilderness Homes (which are depicted in your photos), and I thought these totem poles and that sign had already disappeared before my Fort adventures began. But, there they are in 2000!

So, I must have driven by these.

Does anyone recall where they were located?

Here is an aerial photo of the Fort entrance area circa 2006:

FWEntrance2007.jpg

The entrance to the Fort from Vista Blvd. is at the bottom left of this photo. The Reception Outpost and the check in lanes are at the top center. Were the old log sign and the totem poles in the grassy area just south of the Reception Outpost building? I can see cars in the background of one of the photos of the old sign, so it has to have been somewhere around the main parking area.

TCD

I'm a little late on this thread, but I am from Wisconsin, and married someone in SC, and now we are only 6 hours from WDW, and he loves to camp!!!! He had never been to FW unitl I told him tht was where we always went as kids...piled into the back of the station wagon and drove 22 hours from WI...but loved every minute of it!!! I camped for the first time as a baby in 1981, and continued for many years in a tent, and then went back with my soon to be husband in 2005. We loved it! Just had to post...becuase this has brought about such memories!

So glad you joined us! Please feel free to post any pics of FW past! Married someone from SC did you? You did good! We are around 8 hours from the Fort...not too bad. 6 would be better! ;) I agree that this thread is a memory jogger. Never expected an "Ignore Me" thread to go this far, but it's been a lot of fun! 22 hour drive, camping in a tent!? WOW! Somebody really is a die hard Fort Fiend! Worth every minute wasn't it!? :thumbsup2
Don't worry, I wouldn't abandon the best thread of 2010. There, I said it.

WOW! I never thought I would see the day! And the french fry basket, too!

This thread is now officially TCD's favorite thread of 2010!

Congratulations.

I'll bet your mom never thought the whole world would one day gaze upon her burger wrapper (and french fry basket) in awe.

Great photos. The one I included in the quote above surprised me. I have been visiting the Fort regularly since the mid-90's, including visits to the Wilderness Homes (which are depicted in your photos), and I thought these totem poles and that sign had already disappeared before my Fort adventures began. But, there they are in 2000!

So, I must have driven by these.

Does anyone recall where they were located?

FWEntrance2007.jpg

The entrance to the Fort from Vista Blvd. is at the bottom left of this photo. The Reception Outpost and the check in lanes are at the top center. Were the old log sign and the totem poles in the grassy area just south of the Reception Outpost building? I can see cars in the background of one of the photos of the old sign, so it has to have been somewhere around the main parking area.

TCD

Thank you very much! I highlighted the official statement in red and quoted so that it can't be deleted and no minds can be changed. :rotfl: Once I found the french fry basket from '73, I quickly realized...WOW!...That's kinda disgusting! :lmao: But I'm glad I found it! BTW, that was our first trip to WDW. You can actually see a little bit of a ketchup stain on the inside...no, I will not be scanning that! :scared1:

Weren't KSD's pics terrific! Just like you, I thought those signs were gone long before 2000!

As far as kampfiremom....no she absolutely would never have believed that her wrapper and fry basket would be gazed upon like some sort of holy relic! :laughing: Take my word for it, SHE IS THRILLED! On this thread it has been said that she rocks and the words "my hero" were even used. I think it may go to her head! Now she says, "Ya'll have made fun of me all these years and now look...I'm a hero AND I rock!"

I now posess the "treasure box" of mom's collections so if there are any points of interest let me know and I'll see if we have it! I found a cool brochure of Marshmallow Marsh I think I'll post!

FWEntrance2007.jpg

TCD

TCD,

I think the poles were exactly where you are thinking. In fact, you can kinda see what may have been some sort of base (for the sign?) in the middle of the grassy area. I seem to remember them being there in early 2003. I think the big tree trunk sign was gone by then but I am pretty sure the totems were still there.

It was right about where I placed the star on your photo. DH is the one who does most of the remembering for us so I asked him to be sure. He says the ones with the totem & sign were 2001 and I can see the boys look a little older and one has a longer hair cut.

So what I posted were from both 2000 and 2001 our first and second trip.

We were so sad when we drove up on a future trip and the totem and sign weren't there but I'm not sure which year they were gone.

fwmaptotem.jpg

KFK your mom is amazing to have saved that stuff and kept it organized and dated. I seem to save the wrong stuff and get rid of the things I wish I had back so my hat's off to your mom--the queen of memorabilia and to you for sharing it with us!

Thanks for the confirmation of the location of the old log sign.

It is strange that I do not recall seeing it there.

For what it's worth, this sign still exists, and is located in a back stage area of the Fort.

Here is a photo of it from May, 2009:

FW595102009157.jpg

TCD

Thanks, TCD. It is nice that they saved it. I thought that was the same sign when I read your report, but I didn't go that day and look at my old photo. Maybe someday it will be in a guest area again. No sight of the totem poles I guess? And it seems the Musket Mickey sign was sold on e-bay if I remember right.

I heard someplace that the totem pole was moved to the Wilderness Lodge. Can’t tell you if it true but it is possible. I will look for it later this week

KeepSwimmingDory: Thank you. As you've probably read, we used to tease mom w/out mercy over her little tidbits of this and that, but no more! She's the woman of the hour!

TCD: Did your cousin Yuri provide you with the pic of the old log sign? Where is that, did he say?

DisCamper: Please oh please try to find out about the totem pole! I'd love to be able to go take a pic on my upcoming trip!

Ok, here are our earliest Fort Wilderness mementos courtesy of kampfiremom:

What you see here is a 1977 FW check in folder, a FW vehicle ID, MK parking pass and yes, that is an actual Ressie for the Fort circa 1977! Notice on the pic w/the ressie, the flap on the folder contains info on the old adventure ticket booklets! Who remembers those? I do! Go mom!
KSCN0001_01.jpg
KSCN0002_01.jpg

pbversion.jpg
KSCN0004_00.jpg

These old WDW newspapers were great! I don't believe I remember the Bay Lake cruise to T.I. ,but I easily remember the Movie Theatre at the Contemporary. Wow! I used to love that!:thumbsup2
pbversion3.jpg

KSCN0007.jpg

KSCN0008-2.jpg

KSCN0009-4.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter