Ignore button

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
The ignore feature is a good one to have. I use it very sparingly, I'm sure there are others who use it a lot more and others who don't use it at all.

But what I don't get is those who need to ANNOUNCE they're using it. Is it just a passive aggressive way to say "I don't like what you're saying"? If you want to ignore someone's post (but even when you do, you can still read their posts with a single click), just do it. Why do you need to announce it?

Because people want to share their emotions. Ignoring someone is probably triggered by some sort of emotion. And you feel a need to share it. You can't put it on Instagram that you are ignoring someone on the DIS, that would be silly as your followers probably don't know what the DIS is.

Or maybe it is a sign of a feeling of superiority "some people are so stupid I cannot handle it and people have to know there are stupid people on here. If I find them stupid, others might think so to!" Although that last remark could mean they are actually very lonely and/or insecure and need a buddy to validate their thoughts.

I have one person on ignore, and I might add a second. There are also some people on here whose comments always amaze me, but I don't ignore them, because I feel superior every time I read their comments 😉

If I ignored everyone I disagreed with, I'd sure miss out on learning some new things. It's good to have one's views challenged, in my opinion.

Now, it's different when someone comes across with a real condescending tone, I could see ignoring in that situation. But I don't think that applies to the majority of posters. And, when I do see that, I try and give the benefit of the doubt that maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Ignore is the best feature on this website, it’s the only thing that makes it tolerable. I don’t know if I have more people on ignore than have me on ignore, it’s probably close. I have almost all mods on ignore. With that said, I’d never announce it to the person in a thread.

I don't use the feature and never will.

If I disagree with someone I want to know their opinion. Perhaps they have some facts or insights I don't that when learned will change my opinion.

If I ignore people I reduce my chances to learn and grow.

All joking aside, I do agree with those who say they like to see opposing viewpoints. I never use the ignore button here. In some cases I would use it for like spam-bot messages sand such, but that doesn't happen too much on the DIS. I have nobody on ignore here.

The ignore feature is a good one to have. I use it very sparingly, I'm sure there are others who use it a lot more and others who don't use it at all.

But what I don't get is those who need to ANNOUNCE they're using it. Is it just a passive aggressive way to say "I don't like what you're saying"? If you want to ignore someone's post (but even when you do, you can still read their posts with a single click), just do it. Why do you need to announce it?
They want to appear to be above it all while actually being in the middle of it all. They want to think they are getting the last word.

All joking aside, I do agree with those who say they like to see opposing viewpoints. I never use the ignore button here. In some cases I would use it for like spam-bot messages sand such, but that doesn't happen too much on the DIS. I have nobody on ignore here.
The only people that I have on ignore are people who (in my opinion) spam the board with threads/comments in which I have no interest. Makes it quicker to read the boards.

I love the feature. I don’t use it often or use it to ignore people with different opinions than me, though.

I use it to ignore people I believe use too much hyperbole or either are condescending or insulting in sharing those opinions. That just muddies the conversation.

Nobody has been condescending or insulting to me personally, I just don’t want it to get in the way of what I'm reading.

Pretty sure that the rolling on the floor laughing guy means that that post was a joke (including the implication that every poster above the one quoted is on the poster's ignore list).
Maybe you're right. Not how I read it, but if so, then very funny!

I ignore plenty of posters without having to use the feature. ;) There are some posters that I wouldn’t interact with, and topics I won’t touch with a 10ft. pole.

Isn’t it simple enough to just keep scrolling? I’ve never read anything here that made me unable to control my reactions, and not everything that bugs me requires a rebuttal. If reading other people’s opinions (no matter how egregious they might be to you) ruins your day, you need to get some perspective.

I rarely, if ever use the ignore button but there are some really rude people on here that say the same rude stuff on every thread that adds absolutely nothing to the discussion so I put them on my ignore list and haven't looked back. I have no idea what compels someone to be straight up rude on a Disney vacation discussion board but it is what it is.

I don't understand why there's a need to announce it either. It's like....uh okay? That's nice....I guess?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter