Ige usually announces around the 15th if he is pushing another month

longboard55

DIS Veteran
Word is they are getting closer to lifting the quarantine. Issue still seems to be availability of testing. 9 months and we still can't get a test on a reasonable schedule

For reference, LG Josh Green wrote an editorial piece for the Star Advertiser on what he thinks Hawaii needs to do to open up tourism. You can read the piece here: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...covid-19-in-hawaii-and-we-must-deploy-it-now/

These articles are not referencing any official government policies, just his personal opinion. Green himself has said that he has been pretty out of the loop on policy making discussions/creation and that his colleagues have not consulted with him. He has openly opposed the Governor's and Mayor's current restrictions.

The other island might be ready to reopen for tourism, but Oahu is not. There is currently a 14-day inter-island quarantine for anyone traveling from Oahu to a neighbor island. So even if you do get the negative covid test on the mainland, you may not be able to transfer through Honolulu airport to one of the other islands. Hawaiian airlines said it's no problem to fly through Honolulu as long as don't leave the secured airport area. A friend of mine who called the city's covid hotline was told she would have to quarantine in Honolulu for 14 days before flying to a neighbor island regardless of whether or not she left the airport. I guess it's like talking to Disney bus drivers - the answers/rumors change based on who you get lol.

Also, Oahu is on stay-at-home, work-at-home orders through September 23rd and we were told to brace for a very slow reopening. Currently, retail, tourist attractions, personal services, gyms, etc. are all shut down and restaurants can only offer to-go services. Beaches and parks are open for solo activity only. I don't see how Oahu is going to go from a complete shutdown to open-for-tourism in a week.

Another delay announced. They need more time. I would hate to be a unemployed worker now.

Is this official? I can’t find anything beyond it “might” not open by Oct. 1st.

I do find it interesting that Ige met with travel and tourism leaders this weekend...and then Disney pushed back the unofficial re-opening until 10/18. Maybe they already know?

Hopefully the hotels told Ige he needs to pick a date and stick to it. People need time to make plans.

Not sure if this is something the Hilton Hawaiian village knows we don’t ??? but we just got an email that our reservations for November 5-7 are canceled and they said they are not excepting new ones until after December 15th (we were staying here the first two nights of our trip just to save a little money)

Looks like Aulani/Disney is going to wait until the last minute to cancel mine. The rental store said DVC isn’t saying anything but seem to be waiting until about 7 days before your arrival date to cancel. Cutting it too close, especially when we have flights, airport transfers and possibly COVID testing to arrange. I wish they would just cancel and shoot for a November or December 1st opening. Because Kauai is about to reopen with travel bubbles, but the state hasn’t provided them with clear rules/regulations on that program yet.

New press conference today. There's information about the pre-travel testing in lieu of quarantine program beginning Oct 15th. Additionally, resort bubbles for some locations.

I think they might be overly optimistic that the negative covid test within 72 hours scheme is going to work out whatsoever. Its just so risky to plan such a large trip and potentially have it all fall apart when you are trying to get on the plane, not to mention the logistics of trying to get the tests done. They will be forced to just reopen and have people wear masks and hope for the best just like everyone else is doing. Its kinda shocking that they haven't realized that to be honest. Unfortunately for us, until Canada drops the 14 day quarantine when returning home there will be no way for us to go anywhere and I really don't think that will happen until next summer.

Here is the latest news link for potential reopening to trans-pacific travelers by Oct 15th with a negative test 3 days prior to travel
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/...covid-response-new-infections-slowly-decline/
Bad thing For us here in Texas at least they don’t want us testing because tests are so limited unless we really need to and we need doctors permission so I’m not sure how I’ll get a test and how I’ll get results back in three days either they say it’s taking up to 10 days. Bad news for me I have a non-cancelable rate with Dave’s DVC rentals.

Bad thing For us here in Texas at least they don’t want us testing because tests are so limited unless we really need to and we need doctors permission so I’m not sure how I’ll get a test and how I’ll get results back in three days either they say it’s taking up to 10 days. Bad news for me I have a non-cancelable rate with Dave’s DVC rentals.
I hear you. I live in TX as well. I think details are still being ironed out. There is a potential for partnership with CVS and cost is estimated at $140. Not sure about timeline to get test results back, but if we are paying premium, it better be back within 3 days. Also, what if the arrival date is a Mon, for which one needs to be tested on Fri and may not get the result back until mid next week and sat and sun are non business days. Too much uncertainty at this point.

After hearing this news we decided to book again for December. We understand it is a long shot. So much can change, but for us Hawaii is as far away as Orlando. I can get my airline points up to 24 hours before. I would think hotels would need to be understanding, if not a one night stay isn't unreasonable. Enough time to iron things out if the October 15th sticks. We were last scheduled to leave October 25th. I considered rebooking, but I've heard that many hotels are not opening until December.

After hearing this news we decided to book again for December. We understand it is a long shot. So much can change, but for us Hawaii is as far away as Orlando. I can get my airline points up to 24 hours before. I would think hotels would need to be understanding, if not a one night stay isn't unreasonable. Enough time to iron things out if the October 15th sticks. We were last scheduled to leave October 25th. I considered rebooking, but I've heard that many hotels are not opening until December.
I know the Hilton Hawaiian Village said December 15th —I wonder if there’s a place we can find out when others will open?

I hear you. I live in TX as well. I think details are still being ironed out. There is a potential for partnership with CVS and cost is estimated at $140. Not sure about timeline to get test results back, but if we are paying premium, it better be back within 3 days. Also, what if the arrival date is a Mon, for which one needs to be tested on Fri and may not get the result back until mid next week and sat and sun are non business days. Too much uncertainty at this point.

Hi guys!! I live in the Houston area currently. I wanted to pop in to say that in our area people have been able to get rapid result COVID tests.

On Tuesday my coworker was tested (not sure where) and his results came back yesterday. Our (my company) insurance covered 100% of the costs.

Three weeks ago one of my daughters was tested (through a private doctor) and her results came back within 15 minutes. My insurance also covered 100% of the test costs.

We're finally making progress in this area!! Hugs to you both from Houston!

Hi guys!! I live in the Houston area currently. I wanted to pop in to say that in our area people have been able to get rapid result COVID tests.

On Tuesday my coworker was tested (not sure where) and his results came back yesterday. Our (my company) insurance covered 100% of the costs.

Three weeks ago one of my daughters was tested (through a private doctor) and her results came back within 15 minutes. My insurance also covered 100% of the test costs.

We're finally making progress in this area!! Hugs to you both from Houston!
I live n Plano, NTX. My wife did rapid test last Mon and got the result back in a day. She was referred by the doctor. I am not sure if insurance will cover for travel. My guess is no. Also, does the rapid test meet the criteria set by the governor in Hawaii. My guess is no again, but we will find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter