If you could change one thing about DCL, what would it be?

On NCL the full buffet was open until 10 and a limited version was open until midnight. I'm not a big fan of the DCL quick service and I think the room service on most cruiselines isn't good. On two nights I came back from an excursion around 10 pm and the buffet was perfect at that time.
I never really appreciated how nice a cruise ship buffet could be until we started sailing on NCL. We especially appreciate it on port intensive cruises, like the Med or Northern Europe. Often we were so exhausted by the time we got back on the ship that we had no interest in dealing with a long, drawn out MDR experience. Being able to grab (a good!) dinner at the buffet was so nice and relaxing. And I hate to say this, but IMHO the Indian food on NCL's buffet is better than probably 90% of the food I've eaten in a DCL MDR.

I never really appreciated how nice a cruise ship buffet could be until we started sailing on NCL. We especially appreciate it on port intensive cruises, like the Med or Northern Europe. Often we were so exhausted by the time we got back on the ship that we had no interest in dealing with a long, drawn out MDR experience. Being able to grab (a good!) dinner at the buffet was so nice and relaxing. And I hate to say this, but IMHO the Indian food on NCL's buffet is better than probably 90% of the food I've eaten in a DCL MDR.
I'm glad you brought up the Indian station! NCL actually recruits chefs from successful restaurants in India to come on and just work the buffet, and to me that's an amazing feature. And yes I agree that the buffet food pretty much matched the included restaurants and was better than the pub.

My wife and I were on a 7 day NCL cruise the end of February 2020. We were very pleased with the buffet and ate there for lunch and dinner several times instead of the main dinning rooms.
We were very surprised at the amount of selections available since we have mostly only sailed on Disney and are familiar with their buffet.
The Indian food was excellent along with the other food offerings however we ate Indian the most.

On a side note on our last Disney cruise in the end of November 2022 all we ate the entire time in the main dinning room was Indian food. It was a 7 day cruise and we were told Tuesday or Wednesday the Chef wanted to talk to us at some point.
On Thursday we met the head Chef and he asked us why with all the choices for dinner we had we had chosen to only eat Indian food, we told him we had not been able to find Indian food as good back home.

For our Friday night dinner he made several special dishes for us and they were excellent.

We learned several years ago when asking our servers that Disney makes at least one Indian dish per night to be served in the main dinning room. We had asked when we saw an Indian family sitting next to us eating it every night.

Last edited:

I would very much like the ability to 'see' availability of Palo and/or Remy's while trying to make changes to a reservation that we already have without the requirement to canceling your current reservation first. Not looking to beat the system. However, many people have seen the frustration of trying to book brunch or dinner with friends or family that are not on the same castaway club level.

I would very much like the ability to 'see' availability of Palo and/or Remy's while trying to make changes to a reservation that we already have without the requirement to canceling your current reservation first. Not looking to beat the system. However, many people have seen the frustration of trying to book brunch or dinner with friends or family that are not on the same castaway club level.
I’d love this too however I think something like this is far beyond Disney IT 😅

Excursions. I dislike when they describe something on site and it doesn't match to what was experienced. Or that they say the tour is only for dcl but arrive and the tour operator can open it up to larger quantities on certain things. It made me realize from my cruise group and this forum to actually try to book thru tour operator to see if there are other choices.

Bring back the beautiful, amazing adult pool from the Magic and Wonder. Since those ships, they have shrunk considerably. Why Disney?? I love all things Disney, but really love the all adult areas, especially the pool. Don't discount adult cruisers with no children!! We have raised our kids, now we get to enjoy it by ourselves, and still love Mickey, so don't forget us. Do NOT shrink the adult pools down to bathtub size, anymore.

I'd like to have "Any Time" dining like other cruise lines. I understand the whole your server follows you around but I'd rather just eat when I'm hungry and spend more time doing other things.

make concierge deposits refundable or at least partially refundable. I'd love to be able to reserve a particular cabin when I see one - then work on convincing my husband rather than wait for him to say ok, then the cabin is already gone!

I'd like to have "Any Time" dining like other cruise lines. I understand the whole your server follows you around but I'd rather just eat when I'm hungry and spend more time doing other things.

The dining team is my absolute favorite part of a DCL sailing. I would hate to loose that feature even for more convenient dining times

I agree. I would not want to lose rotational dining.

However I would like a buffet option for dinner, especially if the port day ends after 6pm.

In 14 DCL cruises, we've had only one really great experience with our dining team! And one really bad experience. But the lack of choices for dinner other than the MDR is the biggest thing that has sent us looking at other cruiselines. We want to be able to eat when we're hungry without only having hamburgers on pool deck as an option, and we often don't want a 2-hour dining experience.

The dining team is my absolute favorite part of a DCL sailing. I would hate to loose that feature even for more convenient dining times
Celebrity offers it both ways on their older ships--you can choose a fixed dining time and keep the same dining team and table-mates the entire time, or you can choose anytime dining. It would probably be a pretty difficult for Disney to manage that with the multiple dining rooms though. (Even Celebrity only offers anytime dining on their Edge class ships that have 4 MDRs.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter