If you could change one thing about DCL, what would it be?

As a first time cruiser, I'm biased... but perks for repeat cruisers that do not penalize new folks. SO MUCH was already booked up by the time I got to select.
That's not just a first time cruiser problem (depending on itinerary), we were on our first Gold cruise in December and I couldn't get a number of things (cabana - obviously, wine tasting or beer tasting).

I didn't try for Palo or Remy, so don't know on those. We've stopped paying extra for the dining rooms since we think the variety in the MDRs is just fine.

While I'm onboard with a drink package, I don't think Disney will ever do an unlimited package. Not because they're a "family" oriented offering (thought I'm sure that's a reason they'll give), but because they don't off anything unlimited really.

They do have "drink" packages. You can get a wine package or a beer package. They're just expensive and finite. They're not in the business of allowing you to have the advantage in a purchase.
Yes, good point. I sort of used "drink package" and "unlimited package" interchangeably, which I shouldn't have. Technically the one I had on Princess wasn't unlimited either, as it had a price limit (IIRC it was around $12, though if you wanted a more expensive drink you only paid the difference) and a daily limit. Though it felt pretty unlimited to us.

But you're right, DCL doesn't really do anything unlimited so I doubt they would move in that direction. To your original point, I do agree with a drink package that isn't just beer or wine.

Working IT would also be nice. All Disney websites are hot garbage and sooooo glitchy. Having booking times be some reasonable time of day, not midnight. Free or much cheaper wifi would be great. Wi-fi is a necessity in this day and age, especially with more and more people working remotely and flex hours.

Working IT would also be nice. All Disney websites are hot garbage and sooooo glitchy. Having booking times be some reasonable time of day, not midnight. Free or much cheaper wifi would be great. Wi-fi is a necessity in this day and age, especially with more and more people working remotely and flex hours.
Yes, you hit on the one thing I would change on day 1 if I were CEO. The online checkin process is a mess. This has been happening for years and is unexcusable! The wesite is prone to glitches, spinning wheels and failures... every time. If Disney insists on offering additional bookings, events and activities, people will still wait until midnight to try and get things and for many, an early PAT is important. Disney, you KNOW that a bunch of us will be up at midnight.... fix the G-damn website. How hard is that for a multi-billion dollar business? You know how many ships/parties will likely access the system on any given checkin night. Prepare the system, make adjustments and get it to work once and for all!!! This is not Ticketmaster...

They still do, just not very often. We did the San Juan/St. Maarten itinerary last September. Seems they only offer it like, once a year, I have no idea why. I also saw a San Juan/Tortola itinerary, which would be a nice mash up.
We really enjoyed the 8-day Fantasy cruise to St. Maarten's, Antigua, St. Thomas & Castaway Cay. My main complaint about DCL has been the repetition of their cruises. We much prefer longer cruises, and can't afford B-B. We are thrilled, however, that they added the two 14 and 15-night cruises in the South Pacific. If you have the bucks to add on for a B-B from Vancouver to Hawaii or from Hawaii to Vancouver, you'd end up being able to spend 25 to 26 days on the Wonder.:banana:

I’d like them to put on the itineraries when special nights like formal or pirate are. It would be helpful for first time cruisers to pack. We just went on a merrytime cruise and it would have been fun to have a holiday dress up night with a special menu.
You have to do some searching, but places like Disney Cruiseline Blog will have previous Navigators posted that will give you a general idea of what night everything is. I've also known of people who have called (especially those in Concierge) and found out that way.

The buffet should always be open. Sometimes excursions or other events cause you to miss your dining time, and there should be more options for when that happens.

At least one of the quick-serve places was always open even when Cabanas was closed. You can also always order (free) room service 24/7.

You have to do some searching, but places like Disney Cruiseline Blog will have previous Navigators posted that will give you a general idea of what night everything is. I've also known of people who have called (especially those in Concierge) and found out that way.
That seems like a lot of work for something Disney could just provide.

That seems like a lot of work for something Disney could just provide.

I can't speak for all the cruise lines, but neither Carnival nor Royal have that information available ahead of time either. The best available was knowing how many formal/semi-formal nights based on length of sailing. I mean, in the grand scheme of things does it really make that much of a difference to know the exact nights something happens vs. just knowing that it is happening and pack accordingly?

DCL does list the number of "special" nights on their FAQ here.

I'm going to cheat and say two things:

1) More variety. If we hadn't had any COVID changes then a 7-night Western Caribbean would be the exact same 7-night Western that has been sailing since like 2013--with some rare exceptions it's the same dinner menus, the same ports, the same everything. I'd like to see more interesting itineraries, and I'd love it if they changed up their PC departures a little bit--I understand the need for a constant array of 3- and 4-night departures, but I wish they rotated those between the Wish, Dream/Fantasy, and Magic/Wonder so a I can get a 7-night sailing on the Wish (or avoid the Wish on a 3-night sailing).

2) Less emphasis on early booking as a benefit for ... well, anything. I don't want to stay up until midnight to get my activity bookings, and fairly often I'm booking the entire cruise within 60 days anyway because that's how my schedule works. I fully accept that I often pay more because of my late bookings, but it's especially annoying when I book Concierge and I still can't pre-book any onboard tastings because they were all taken at the 120-day mark. (Fortunately, I can usually get them after boarding.)

I'd want them to add more adult night life on the ship personally, but it is for kids.. ( but not really )

This may be a person by person thing, but we just did a 7 night on the Fantasy and while, yes, things tend to wrap up by midnight-ish, my husband and I both had plenty of things to choose from. There was also some sort of trivia going, special adult only performances by the guest performers, silent dance parties, etc.

Honestly, with some of the early mornings, I was grateful for everyone to be back in the cabin around midnight.

At least one of the quick-serve places was always open even when Cabanas was closed. You can also always order (free) room service 24/7.
Those can both be good options, but almost every other cruise line has a buffet or MDR option open until 10 or 11 pm with a larger variety and better food quality. And since Disney already has a dedicated buffet space, I would like to see them put a few of the dishes from the rotational restaurants in there.

Those can both be good options, but almost every other cruise line has a buffet or MDR option open until 10 or 11 pm with a larger variety and better food quality. And since Disney already has a dedicated buffet space, I would like to see them put a few of the dishes from the rotational restaurants in there.

The buffet on Carnival closes at 9:30pm and the food variety and quality is...meh. The pizza place (which always has a HUGE wait vs. pizza ready to go on Disney) stays open until usually 1am. I also think the variety (and quality) of the quick service places on Disney is much better on Carnival. On Carnival it's basically Guys Burgers or tacos. The pre-made and custom sandwiches and paninis we just had on the Fantasy last week were killer.

The buffet on Carnival closes at 9:30pm and the food variety and quality is...meh. The pizza place (which always has a HUGE wait vs. pizza ready to go on Disney) stays open until usually 1am. I also think the variety (and quality) of the quick service places on Disney is much better on Carnival. On Carnival it's basically Guys Burgers or tacos. The pre-made and custom sandwiches and paninis we just had on the Fantasy last week were killer.
On NCL the full buffet was open until 10 and a limited version was open until midnight. I'm not a big fan of the DCL quick service and I think the room service on most cruiselines isn't good. On two nights I came back from an excursion around 10 pm and the buffet was perfect at that time.

As a first time cruiser, I'm biased... but perks for repeat cruisers that do not penalize new folks. SO MUCH was already booked up by the time I got to select.
I feel this. As a first time cruiser on DCL, I feel almost punished by my my lack of status. I'm going on a 3 night sailing, and BBB was completely full for my entire sailing when I went on at midnight 60 days out to attempt to book. I knew better than to even try for brunch. I've cruised on Royal a few times and never felt like my low status was a problem, but I haven't even boarded the Wish yet, and I feel like a second class citizen. That's just a personal problem for me, lol, but I never feel that way on Royal.

Last edited:
I feel this. As a first time cruiser on DCL, I feel almost punished by my my lack of status. I'm going on a 3 night sailing, and BBB was completely full for my entire sailing when I went on at midnight 60 days out to attempt to book. I knew better than to even try for Remy. I've cruised on Royal a few times and never felt like my low status was a problem, but I haven't even boarded the Wish yet, and I feel like a second class citizen. That's just a personal problem for me, lol, but I never feel that way on Royal.
Ah, the Wish is tough because it's usually pretty full and they're only 3 nights. So same amount of people as other sailings (maybe more), and less 'opportunities' to book things. So that adds to it (plus the Wish has more Concierge staterooms than the other ships). But, I just looked for my 3-night sailing on the Wish in 50 days and there were plenty of Enchante spots available, so you might want to check that out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter