If I say a show has "jumped the shark" do you know the reference and what it means?

I think that the phrase was so widely used in media criticism that you don't really have to know anything about the penultimate season of "Happy Days" to know that it means a program has sunk to the depths of cheap gimmicry to try to stop bleeding viewership; and that it is clear that its days are now numbered.

I'm betting you could find a whole lot of younger folks working in media that know that "jumped the shark" is bad, without knowing where the reference actually came from. I was never a big fan of HD, and had stopped watching years before that episode aired; I learned the phrase from the place that originated it: Jumptheshark.com, which used to contain a full database of such moments, before it, in turn, stopped getting clicks, and ended up absorbed by TV Guide back in 2009.

There was a time, 20 years or so ago, when the phrase itself implied a certain insider knowledge of the way TV worked; when it was an in-club thing to say. Then numerous television anchors started using it colloquially in interviews, and at that point, you might say that the actual phrase kind of, well, you know ...

I learned the phrase from the place that originated it: Jumptheshark.com, which used to contain a full database of such moments, before it, in turn, stopped getting clicks, and ended up absorbed by TV Guide back in 2009.
Same. I ended up watching that Happy Days episode on YouTube a couple of years ago, and I could not stop cracking up. Definitely a well-deserved term!

Yes I do. Just here to add that the whole phrase/idea is a misnomer. Happy Days eating DIDN'T go down after Fonzie I moved the shark, which is the whole point of the phrase... Thought it was kinda funny when I learned that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter