Ideas with swiss chard?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
My swiss chard has gone crazy and I'm looking for new ideas - I've done a pasta sauce, and quiche, but there must be another way to cook it!:confused3 anything I could cook and freeze would be good, as DH says he only likes it "for a change" (i.e. once a month or so) and I hate it to go to waste.:confused: TIA

I don't have any recipes that are strictly for use with swiss chard, but I know it can be used in most of the same ways as spinach. Try substituting it for spinach, or maybe use 1/2 spinach and 1/2 chard. Perhaps your husband would like it better that way. If used raw, the center "rib" might need to be removed if the leaf is more "mature".

VickiV

I use the stalks as well - that is the bit that takes a long time to cook down! But its so pretty;) as its Rainbow chard.

I have tried it steamed or boiled, but we prefer it sauted in olive oil and garlic with parmesan cheese on top.

I have also frozen it and dehydrated it. (I'm told the dehydrated leaves are good in soups.) My next project is to clean it, rub olive oil and salt on it and dehydrate it to make chips to snack on.

somewhere I saw that grilled was good. Let us know how your chips come out! I "hide" leftover cooked chard in everything from meatloaf to chili.

Our chard is growing like crazy as well. This reminds me that I need to pick some this week.
Our family's favorite way to eat it is Orecchiette with Sausage and Chard.

1Lb Orecchiette (cook according to package instructions)
Sweet or Spicy Italian Sausage 5-6 links
As much chard as you can stand.
3/4 cup white wine
2 cups Chicken Stock
Parm
3-4 Garlic cloves minced

Get the water on for the pasta. Start heating a large skillet on Med.
De-case the sausage. Put in a bowl with the white wine and break up the sausage. When the skillet is hot, add to the pan. Cook off the wine and start browning the sausage.
De-rib the chard, wash and chop it. (Add the pasta to the pot of salted boiling water at this point) Add to the browned sausage. Let it wilt between additions if you need to. Add the garlic. Add the chicken stock. Let the sausage and chard simmer away.
Add the cooked pasta to the sausage and chard. Mix around to get the starches flowing. Take off heat. Add parm until it makes a nice sauce. Serve.

somewhere I saw that grilled was good. Let us know how your chips come out! I "hide" leftover cooked chard in everything from meatloaf to chili.

They turned out great! They were crunchy and salty. Of course they were green, and most assuredly not potato chips ;) . They didn't have a heavy swiss chard taste. I can't eat potatoes or grain, so I've been missing a snack I can crunch on which will satisfy a salty craving. These will fit nicely. However, when they crunch, they shatter into tiny pieces, so if you are not careful, they could be messy. But potato chips can be messy too. I'm making another batch right now. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter