Ideas for keeping little ones entertained in line?

DisneyWife2015

scmom08
We are heading to WDW for our third year and each year we try to take little, easy to carry, simple things for our children to do while we wait in lines. I thought it might be helpful to share ideas with each other. We have a DD 8, DD 4, and this year our DS will be 9 months old. Here are some things that have worked for us and we'd love to know your tips/tricks/ideas on keeping little ones entertained in line:
  • Pipe cleaners - our DDs loved these last year! I was impressed with how creative they were with them.
  • Rubik cube
  • Classic peg game (from Cracker Barrel)
  • Mini etch-a-sketch (I found off brands at the dollar store)
  • Easy hand games like thumb war, rock/paper/scissors, hand slap game, etc
  • If all else fails, we pull out our phones and let them play games/watch videos but I prefer to avoid this at all costs
So what are your ideas? Please help us add to this list! And I'm especially interested in ideas for my DS since he won't understand any of the above games. Right now all I can think of is teething toys and snacks.

Buy the Hidden Mickeys app (easier to deal with than the actual book) and let your older kids find them throughout the parks and resorts. Lots of fun!
As far as the baby, I wouldn't think too much of it. My babies didn't really get bored at 9 months old. You could always sing him Disney songs, lol!

That leads to another good question - what are the best apps that don't require internet? Maybe our phones are just older but we always struggle with the wifi at WDW.

If theres a long line, we skip it. We've never waited more than 20 minutes for anything, really. So we haven't entertained, just talked about our plans, what we just did, etc. But if we did, I might try Sculpey or colored beeswax, and if your girls are creative they might like it. The wax warms up in your hands and it gets very pliable. You could make little Disney things- like a glass slipper or Dumbo- maybe you could do something connected to the line you're in, that would be a unique memento. The baby won't need anything specific- whatever you take to occupy him wherever you go. There's lot to look at.

Amazon has their 7 inch Fire tablets for $49.95 - sometimes cheaper. Get one, load it up with game apps, movies and TV shows and have it available when they get bored.

FWIW, my daughter was 8 and 9 the last two times we went to WDW and she never got bored waiting in line. The magic of Disney!

Go to the Dollar Store and get a bunch of figurines characters! They usually have the Fab 5, princesses and they just started carrying villains too! We put them in a baggy and it would keep our girls busy while waiting in lines and at restaurants. Plus they're good for the plane/car rides before and after your trip!

Snacks/Candy - get a gummy bear (or whatever is their fav) every five minutes in line.
Also agree with Dollar Store items!

If theres a long line, we skip it. We've never waited more than 20 minutes for anything, really. So we haven't entertained, just talked about our plans, what we just did, etc. But if we did, I might try Sculpey or colored beeswax, and if your girls are creative they might like it. The wax warms up in your hands and it gets very pliable. You could make little Disney things- like a glass slipper or Dumbo- maybe you could do something connected to the line you're in, that would be a unique memento. The baby won't need anything specific- whatever you take to occupy him wherever you go. There's lot to look at.

Except don't count on using the beeswax/clay in line if it's really hot out - it will just turn into an awful mess!

Another vote for the Heads Up game. We played in line at Space Mountain in disneyland. The line was about 60 minutes, and by the time we got to the ride we had a huge group of about twenty strangers all playing with us. It was hilarious watching twenty strangers all acting things out trying to get you to say something. Proved to be a great way to meet new people and everyone had fun.

We really don't do anything in line. Like a previous poster said, we rarely stood in lines longer than 20 minutes so usually we just talked and I chased my 2 year old around. My "go-to" was to give the kids suckers or a small snack because food usually occupies them and makes them happy!

There was just one time while waiting for a m&g with Buzz Lightyear that we ended up pulling out a phone and letting the kids watch a couple videos. It was a longer wait than we anticipated, mostly because Buzz took a pretty long break. That's always a risk though because my kids really like screen time and I was worried they would throw a fit when it was time to put it away, but they did ok.

My son is 2. So far I am planning to bring some bubbles, plastic dinosaurs, and snacks. We'll try to avoid long lines but just in case..

My son is 2. So far I am planning to bring some bubbles, plastic dinosaurs, and snacks. We'll try to avoid long lines but just in case..

Bubbles are not appropriate for indoor/crowded queues. Some people are allergic to bubble solution (my daughter included, although she's an adult now and hasn't played with bubbles for years), the solution can stain clothing, and mess up glasses. Also, kids can go off chasing bubbles and an adult can't follow through the queue very easily - not a good choice, IMO.

Bubbles are not appropriate for indoor/crowded queues.

Agree with this...no bubbles while waiting in line please! I cringe when bubbles are given out after a wedding to send off the bride and groom and there I am in a silk dress trying to dodge the bubble solution LOL. But really a safety and big annoyance issue if used in a queue.

Go to the Dollar Store and get a bunch of figurines characters! They usually have the Fab 5, princesses and they just started carrying villains too! We put them in a baggy and it would keep our girls busy while waiting in lines and at restaurants. Plus they're good for the plane/car rides before and after your trip!

I really like this idea! I think my DD 8 yr old will do fine it's more my DD 4 yr old that I was concerned about. She's always energetic and moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter