ID needed?

Mom2Joce

It all started with a...
Ok, just saw micechat on insta and it says that ID is now needed to enter the parks.

Is that for each time we enter?
What do I do for the kids?
What is the reasoning?

We are here this week and never needed our id to get into the parks, just our tickets. They did take our piture the first day to match it with the tickets and after that just the tickets got us in. Lines for the security checks have been short and fast all week though they may increase again as the crowds build back up the closer you get to Christmas.

We had to show our ID the first day of our 5 day park hopper for our initial entrance in the summer of 2017.

They ask to see ID to prevent people from "sharing" tickets. It was becoming a big issue; there were even businesses that would buy multi-day tickets and then sell some of the days to one guest and other days to a different guest. So Disneyland instituted a new system that required photos (or IDs) be used to insure that the same person is using the ticket for all days.

I've needed to show my ID when there was no photo (yet) linked with the ticket. The CM is supposed to have you write your name on the ticket (if it isn't already printed on it) and they're supposed to check to make sure the name on the ticket matches the ID. Once there is a photo linked with the ticket, they haven't needed to see an ID because your photo will pop up when they scan the ticket.

For small children (grade school), they've asked us to write their name on the ticket and they did take the photo, but they did not require a photo ID be presented at first entry. I don't know whether they would ask to see a school ID or something like that for older children.

I have needed to show my ID when getting my AP discount. I've had the opposite experience as WonkaKid, with CMs asking almost all of the time to see the ID (at shops and at CS locations).

They must just know you, ha ha. I’m asked 90 percent of the time!

Several people know me at Buzz (and at a select few other attractions). But definitely not at Starbucks (I'm not a coffee drinker) or Emporium. I wonder if people think I simply look honest.

I did 2 trips to DL this year. I had a 5 day hopper & a 4 day hopper. I was never asked for my ID. But they definitely look to at the picture that pops up on their screen. It's kind of nice cause they usually say Have a great time Pamela.

I vaguely remember having to present my ID when I was purchasing merchandise.

Several people know me at Buzz (and at a select few other attractions). But definitely not at Starbucks (I'm not a coffee drinker) or Emporium. I wonder if people think I simply look honest.
I certainly hope that is not the reason you don't get asked because that would mean CMs are profiling guests based on how they look. While I don't think that is what you are implying, this could be read to mean that the rest of us look dishonest because we're asked more often. I wish the CMs would be consistent (i.e., ask everyone), but I do also think it varies between CMs and how strictly they choose to follow procedures.

I certainly hope that is not the reason you don't get asked because that would mean CMs are profiling guests based on how they look. While I don't think that is what you are implying, this could be read to mean that the rest of us look dishonest because we're asked more often. I wish the CMs would be consistent (i.e., ask everyone), but I do also think it varies between CMs and how strictly they choose to follow procedures.
Also, @socalmou
Of course I didn't mean that people who are asked for ID don't look trustworthy. I simply meant that perhaps most people appear neutral to CMs and they exercise the rule. Maybe some recognize me and maybe because I'm especially outgoing and friendly (not that others aren't -- I don't know any of you personally) that I make them feel comfortable. People have said to me in the past that sometimes I'm too friendly and/or willing to offer help and it makes them feel that I'm running some kind of con. Then again, perhaps I'm wrong and the CMs simply feel lazy on the days that I interact with them. All I know is that most of the time -- at least 75% -- I'm not asked for ID when I use my AP to buy things. If others wish to offer their own interpretation of those numbers, by all means feel free.

In general for entering the park, you need ID when one or more of the following conditions apply:
  • Your ticket has your name on it (printed or handwritten) and there is no photo attached to the ticket yet
  • It is a military ticket
  • It is a So Cal ticket
  • It is another type of "restricted" ticket that you need to prove eligibility to use
Otherwise, you should be fine without ID and I really hope they don't start making everyone show ID when entering the park, they have a picture already, showing ID would just slow the entry down even further.

Does anyone know if the id can be an international drivers' license? Or will I need to bring my passport into the parks (I hate to do this).

Ok, just saw micechat on insta and it says that ID is now needed to enter the parks.

Is that for each time we enter?
What do I do for the kids?
What is the reasoning?
I saw something about this on MC today as well. Reading more into it, the rest of the story came out--they were asked for ID to prove that the AP with the parking benefits was actually a person in the car, and not someone else trying to use the parking benefit.

Adding to the "asked for ID when using AP" poll: DH usually gets asked, I usually don't wait and offer the trifecta (i.e. AP, ID, and credit card) at the beginning of the transaction (food or merchandise). This is usually met with a big smile and a "Thank You!" One CM just about hugged me. When I asked why it was such a big deal, she said that the guest before had bawled her out for asking to see his ID. She said this happens more often than you would think. That made me sad, so now I just hand over the goods with a smile at the get go to make things easier for the CMs.

I saw something about this on MC today as well. Reading more into it, the rest of the story came out--they were asked for ID to prove that the AP with the parking benefits was actually a person in the car, and not someone else trying to use the parking benefit.
Interesting. At Disneyland parking the picture assigned to the AP shows up when it’s scanned for parking.

Interesting. At Disneyland parking the picture assigned to the AP shows up when it’s scanned for parking.
I think the issue was at WDW, where they do finger scanners instead of pictures. But, so often, people assume (or openly, incorrectly say) that it happened at both resorts or that the rules of one are the process at both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter