Iceland 2018!

My TA told me she could put a hold on the itinerary for me, but it was at the non-discounted price, and ABD would not apply the early booking discount until I actually booked the trip and put down a deposit. And that the discounts were limited. So that much seems to be consistent.
Sayhello

My agent told me the same. So we went ahead and put down two deposits (we had to split to 2 reservations). I figured it was low-risk since we do have 14 days to cancel.

A hat tip to Kelsie; she adjusted dates and held our early discount. By that time time she'd been at it for almost 18 hours.

I agree it was poor planning
to have DCL and ABD release on the same day... but I never expect them to play well
together :(

Hopefully Disney (overarching company)
will receive some feedback that doing
so is counter productive. But I
won't hold my breath.

We are booked on the Sept 1 2018 adults only too. We will finally get to meet you SayHello!
Oh, yay!! :) Looking forward to it!

I guess I really need to start a Meets thread for this trip!

Sayhello

We had booked the 7/7 date but didn't have any Early Booking discounts left....we asked about 7/14 and they did have some so we switched dates and saved. My husband wrote a lengthy email to....someone at ABD, not sure who.... about WHY Insiders don't ALL get the Early Booking bonus. ABD *really* needs to step up their loyalty program. Although, I don't even know if there's any type of loyalty program in this industry. We have taken 10 ABDs, have 10 more booked through 2018, and we are just now looking into our first Tauk adventures. The whole "Early Booking discount" being gone within the first hours of Iceland really put a sour taste in his mouth for obviously very loyal customers. We've got friends that we've done 5 ABDs with (and have 4 more booked with the same friends) and they are looking into a Tauk adventure that ABD doesn't cover. After looking around their site, my husband is now considering another tour outfitter which makes me a little sad but also opens more dates and locations. Anyway-- I don't understand such limited Early Booking discount spots, given those are your most loyal customers!

We had booked the 7/7 date but didn't have any Early Booking discounts left....we asked about 7/14 and they did have some so we switched dates and saved. My husband wrote a lengthy email to....someone at ABD, not sure who.... about WHY Insiders don't ALL get the Early Booking bonus. ABD *really* needs to step up their loyalty program. Although, I don't even know if there's any type of loyalty program in this industry. We have taken 10 ABDs, have 10 more booked through 2018, and we are just now looking into our first Tauk adventures. The whole "Early Booking discount" being gone within the first hours of Iceland really put a sour taste in his mouth for obviously very loyal customers. We've got friends that we've done 5 ABDs with (and have 4 more booked with the same friends) and they are looking into a Tauk adventure that ABD doesn't cover. After looking around their site, my husband is now considering another tour outfitter which makes me a little sad but also opens more dates and locations. Anyway-- I don't understand such limited Early Booking discount spots, given those are your most loyal customers!
I totally agree! Would love to hear what they say to your husband. Btw, I'm sure you've seen it but check out the other options thread. Thompson and nat geo have some good looking trips as well.

We've got some friends who are looking into a few Tauk trips so that's why we were looking into them!

So I'm working on the next installment of my Iceland trip report, and I was looking over the current itinerary (I guess either I hadn't looked at it this year, or they've updated it). They've done some interesting re-arranging. Am I the last one to notice this? First off, the Blue Lagoon has become an afternoon Group activity on Day 1, rather than individuals going as they arrive, on the way from the airport. They're taking folks directly to Reykjavik, and doing a brunch at Slippbarinn at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina, then the Welcome Reception. Then everyone heads together to the Blue Lagoon, and they have the Welcome Dinner at Lava. I think I really like this change. But don't worry that folks are missing out on the delicious (if slow-serviced) Bryggjan Brugghús Bistro and Brewery that used to be where the Welcome dinner was held. That's now the location for the Farewell dinner instead of the pretty ridiculous Viking Village Restaurant. I *really* like that change! They made the switch of the dinners in Akureyri to two OYO dinners in a row, followed by the dinner at the Bryggjan in Akureyri on the last night there a permanent change. I still wish they'd spend another night in the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon area so that you didn't have to make that LONG, late-night drive back to Vik, and then rush out the next morning. But they'd really have to add a day to the itinerary or severely shorten the first day in Akureyri for that. But, I like that they listened to what folks (and the Guides!) said.

Sayhello

Last edited:
So I'm working on the next installment of my Iceland trip report, and I was looking over the current itinerary (I guess either I hadn't looked at it this year, or they've updated it). They've done some interesting re-arranging. Am I the last one to notice this? First off, the Blue Lagoon has become an afternoon Group activity on Day 1, rather than individuals going as they arrive, on the way from the airport. They're taking folks directly to Reykjavik, and doing a brunch at Slippbarinn at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina, then the Welcome Reception. Then everyone heads together to the Blue Lagoon, and they have the Welcome Dinner at Lava. I think I really like this change. But don't worry that folks are missing out on the delicious (if slow-serviced) Bryggjan Brugghús Bistro and Brewery that used to be where the Welcome dinner was held. That's now the location for the Farewell dinner instead of the pretty ridiculous Viking Village Restaurant. I *really* like that change! They made the switch of the dinners in Akureyri to two OYO dinners in a row, followed by the dinner at the Bryggjan in Akureyri on the last night there a permanent change. I still wish they'd spend another night in the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon area so that you didn't have to make that LONG, late-night drive back to Vik, and then rush out the next morning. But they'd really have to add a day to the itinerary or severely shorten the first day in Akureyri for that. But, I like that they listened to what folks (and the Guides!) said.

Sayhello
I like some of these changes! We always love that ABD really does take guest feedback to tweak trips and make iteneraries even better. We also know that first-year trips often look quite different once the logistics actually play out in real life instead of just on paper and a run through. Is it bad to say I'm glad the Viking dinner is gone? it was kind of weird :)

I like some of these changes! We always love that ABD really does take guest feedback to tweak trips and make iteneraries even better. We also know that first-year trips often look quite different once the logistics actually play out in real life instead of just on paper and a run through. Is it bad to say I'm glad the Viking dinner is gone? it was kind of weird :)
Not bad at all. I greatly disliked that Viking dinner. Boring and the food was not that good.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter