IBS-d food options in the parks.

marco_79

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I have IBS-d and pretty severe asthma which unfortunately the heat doesn't help. I have been granted a DAS pass for the upcoming trip but have a couple of questions. Fried food or high fat content food is a big no no for me as it will result in a guarnteed IBS issue ( if you know you know) which can come on so quickly it literally means running to the toilet. Other foods can do the same and sometimes its completely random, eating too much at the one time does the same thing and often I don't know how much that is. The cramps, bloating and flatulance are also nasty and so embarrising. My first question is to ask if there are many quick service /snack places in the park that sell non fried food or would I be better bringing my own lunch? I have checked the menus for all the TS meals we have booked and they all have options which are reasonably safe. The fatigue from the asthma and IBS will limit our parks days to a max 4-6hrs and maybe less if I start to feel ill. We were at Universal lst year and I had to sleep for 2hrs in the afternoon if we wanted to go out again at night.
My other question is about using the DAS. My conditions are invisible and unless I'm having to exit a line quickly or use an inhaler no one would know anything is wrong with our family. I'm anxious enough about posting this on a public forum but also anxious about using the DAS. I don't want people to think we are abusing it and don't want to have to explain to every cast memeber why we can't queue. Does anyone else with invisible conditions relate do this or have experience negative or positive? Thank you.

If you already have the DAS, then you don't have to explain anything to the cast members at the attractions. You just have to tap your magic band or ticket at the Lightning Lane entrance. They will see that you have a DAS return time. Make sure you are the first in your group to tap in.

You'd be better off bringing your own lunch in, IMO. Counter service food is fast food for the most part, and loaded with stuff that sets off my digestive system, and I don't have IBS. (Just no gall bladder, with some IBS symptoms)

Who is going to know you are even using the DAS? You either use the app to access return times, go to a blue umbrella or on the rare times ask at the attraction queue. Only one person goes to ask at the queue entrances so no one even knows if the DAS is for you or someone else to judge, even if the cared, most will not. Since DAS uses the LL entrance how do the people you pass know you do not just have a LL instead of a DAS.

Maybe check for QS/snacks you might like, the MDE app will even let you do orders without sending. I do this to see what can be customized. I rarely choose fried greasy foods due to indigestion over my IBS reason. (Any food can cause my IBS to send me running when I have a flare.) If you do not find options you think are safe, then go with bringing your own.

Since your asthma may have affects as well as your IBS, maybe eat breakfast you find is safe in your room or at your resort, take safe snacks and spend 3-4 hours at the parks and then either eat lunch before heading back to rest or head back and eat. Then head back in the afternoon once air quality might be a bit better. If you have DAS and G+, you could use stacking of G+ in the afternoon and interspersed with DAS.

While I don't have your problems, I don't eat fried food (unless you count french fries which I eat sometimes) and can always find something at QS to eat if I want. I usually go with kid's meals (and no I've never had a chicken nugget at WDW). One because they are smaller and I have a small appetite and two they can be a little heathier. Push comes to shove, most QS have a salad of some sort.

Who is going to know you are even using the DAS? You either use the app to access return times, go to a blue umbrella or on the rare times ask at the attraction queue. Only one person goes to ask at the queue entrances so no one even knows if the DAS is for you or someone else to judge, even if the cared, most will not. Since DAS uses the LL entrance how do the people you pass know you do not just have a LL instead of a DAS.

Maybe check for QS/snacks you might like, the MDE app will even let you do orders without sending. I do this to see what can be customized. I rarely choose fried greasy foods due to indigestion over my IBS reason. (Any food can cause my IBS to send me running when I have a flare.) If you do not find options you think are safe, then go with bringing your own.

Since your asthma may have affects as well as your IBS, maybe eat breakfast you find is safe in your room or at your resort, take safe snacks and spend 3-4 hours at the parks and then either eat lunch before heading back to rest or head back and eat. Then head back in the afternoon once air quality might be a bit better. If you have DAS and G+, you could use stacking of G+ in the afternoon and interspersed with DAS.

I thought the LL reader turned blue and you had to have your DAS confirmed at every ride, perhaps I got that wrong. We will be using the app so I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the advice it really is useful. I never thought of mobile ordering to check QS menus!

It does turn blue and the CMs check their tablet and then the others in your group scan through. It is so quick that it doesn’t hold up a line up unless the CM has tablet issues. Last month, we didn’t even have to mention DAS before the CM said go ahead after my sister scanned in and then the rest of us did. Most guests are not going to know what the blue code means and unless someone is standing there when you scan, they will not know it even scanned blue.

I usually play with QS mobile order nearing a trip for items in case I need to do adjustments for food allergies. FYI: Most QS can do some adjustments, but the Backlot Express doesn’t even if you ask on-site. My mom has food intolerances from chemo/radiation treatments and they would not. Thanks wish they would put signs up before entering to find out.

I have the same issues and really no one knows you are using the DAS. The people working the entrance just verify you are there at the right time and it is really quick. Make sure you tap in first though. If anyone notices it will be people behind you and they probably won't notice or care. It really is a non-issue. As to leaving the line - this is not fun because your whole family has to leave too. They are not allowed to ride if you aren't riding and you lose the das and have to reschedule one. I always hate when this happens. As to quick service - they don't have a lot of good options for this sadly.

I thought the LL reader turned blue and you had to have your DAS confirmed at every ride, perhaps I got that wrong. We will be using the app so I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the advice it really is useful. I never thought of mobile ordering to check QS menus!
As others already mentioned, using DAS is a very simple process. The person registered to DAS scans first and the CM looks quickly at a screen to match the picture of the DAS holder to the person who scanned. It’s very quick and is not visible to the other guests.
There is not any discussion of WHY DAS is being used at attractions.
There is NO discussion at all unless there is a question - for Example, if someone other than the DAS user scanned first, if it’s before your DAS Return Time, if don’t have a DAS Return Time for the attraction you are scanning in for (that does happen sometimes - people get confused sometimes).

Most of the other guests in line behind you won’t even see the reader turn blue and there are multiple other reasons it turns blue besides DAS users - things like the guest being too early for a Lightning Lane or Genie+, wrong attraction or person in their party scanning without having LL or Genie+ for that attraction

I have somewhat related issues that have gotten worse over time. This past trip I had groceries delivered to the room so I had breakfast in the room (pretty easy to do). I also had some snack and what not that I sometimes just carried with me and ate for lunch. I was careful with park food and stuck with things I knew would work for me. I had good luck at Epcot with their festival booths since it was small plates and I had family with me to eat stuff I changed my mind about lol! I don't avoid exactly the foods you mention so your mileage may vary with that. I usually got a Starbucks drink of some sort every day (with non-dairy milk) which worked as a nice treat.

I guess I do tend to avoid fried foods but pasta/noodle dishes can work for me - fish (sushi), etc. Sometimes the vegan or vegetarian option worked for me as well. I used allearsnet for the menus at the parks but pretending you're ordering QS through the app can work well also. We didn't do any TS meals this trip but the chef can usually modify dishes for you.

The tip to look into the kids menus is smart - you can likely find things like a basic turkey sandwich or uncrustables. Or, if you pack yourself a sandwich you could pop in and grab some of the common sides like yogurt, grapes, carrots, etc. That way you could also cut down on quantity at a given time by spacing out your meal. You might find that the food is less interesting than you would hope, but that can be so worth it tade off.
I would get something simple like bagels for breakfast so you don't run into random breakfasts with a touch too much oil/fat, and maybe some sort of food bars you know you tolerate so you have something in a pinch. Searching for specific foods can be stressful and time consuming at times and stress gets out of hand quickly at crowded places so it's good to have a backup. (even for people who don't have a food issue!)

The tip to look into the kids menus is smart - you can likely find things like a basic turkey sandwich or uncrustables. Or, if you pack yourself a sandwich you could pop in and grab some of the common sides like yogurt, grapes, carrots, etc. That way you could also cut down on quantity at a given time by spacing out your meal. You might find that the food is less interesting than you would hope, but that can be so worth it tade off.
I would get something simple like bagels for breakfast so you don't run into random breakfasts with a touch too much oil/fat, and maybe some sort of food bars you know you tolerate so you have something in a pinch. Searching for specific foods can be stressful and time consuming at times and stress gets out of hand quickly at crowded places so it's good to have a backup. (even for people who don't have a food issue!)
Thanks. We have ordered a Walmart delivery so will be having cereal or toast for breakfast and taking a sandwich to the parks as you suggest. Lots of great tips from everybody.

The only thing the CMs might ask when using a DAS return time is "are you okay with stairs?"

Other than that, they don't ask you anything else related to your DAS usage.

I would love to see a basic turkey sandwich on the menu - where was that? All I've found on the kids' menu so far is chicken strips, cheeseburgers, mac and cheese, etc. All highly processed and not good for my digestive system when it is hot!

Pinnochio’s Village Haus has (or had) a turkey sandwich on the kids’ menu.

I would love to see a basic turkey sandwich on the menu - where was that? All I've found on the kids' menu so far is chicken strips, cheeseburgers, mac and cheese, etc. All highly processed and not good for my digestive system when it is hot!
I have seen a couple of places but they use that goldfish shaped bread. Which tastes horrible IMO.

I remember it being at Cosmic Rays. It's permanently etched into my memory because we had a particularly hard day finding food for my multiple allergy son- and the chef's ONLY recommendation was the kid's turkey sandwich... he was allergic to wheat and allergic to their gluten free bread, so she proposed just the turkey with lettuce, then remembered they were out of turkey... and thought it was a serious suggestion to give him just the slice of lettuce with no sides too because he was allergic to those. At full price. Definitely our most puzzling experience.
But on normal days they had a turkey sandwich.
Honestly, we don't eat much QS because of days like that.

ETA- got curious, definitely not at Cosmic Rays anymore - looks like you can get uncrustables at Pinnochio or Pecos Bill, at PB the OP might also want to look at the rice bowls or chicken taco's. Scrolling through MK menus those are the things that scream "fried" to me the least.
Most places also can bake things like chicken tenders or fries if that would help, it just takes extra time and you need to talk to the chef or manager to get it done.

Last edited:
ETA- got curious, definitely not at Cosmic Rays anymore - looks like you can get uncrustables at Pinnochio or Pecos Bill, at PB the OP might also want to look at the rice bowls or chicken taco's. Scrolling through MK menus those are the things that scream "fried" to me the least.
Most places also can bake things like chicken tenders or fries if that would help, it just takes extra time and you need to talk to the chef or manager to get it done.
Yeah, they've changed the kids' menus so that they are pretty similar across the entire property, IMO. I'm guessing because parents complained they couldn't get their kids to eat anything "exotic" from the more creative menus they used to have. Seems to go in waves - they get new food input and then they change things across the board. I wish they'd stay creative and have more interesting things for the kids, or at least more than chicken tenders and cheeseburgers and uncrustables.

I think you might be able to pick up a pre-made sandwich at your resort and bring it - or maybe some of the food courts at the resorts have a deli type menu as well. I just brought crackers and stuff I ordered in my grocery delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter