Ian

Just heard Meteorologist say ..

STOP talking about Charley. This is not the wind storm of Charley, this is the magnitude of the storm surge of Katrina. You have to get away from the water!

Now predicted to go through Orlando, and Orlando area is predicted to lose power.

That is scary. We are well north of there and mandatory evacuation was 6 am this morning. Obviously we are more in line than they are at the back side of the storm, but still scary for all those there.
Yes this very much reminds me of Katrina. It wasn’t the wind, it was the storm surge.

Yes this very much reminds me of Katrina. It wasn’t the wind, it was the storm surge.

This one has both....and it's a big hurricane, much bigger than Charley that was essentially a wind event. The storm surge forecast is 12-16 feet which is catastrophic as will hit at high tide. And looks like it will make landfall as a cat 5. It just exploded in intensity and size in the last 12 hours and completed an eye wall replacement cycle right before landfall. I'm not sure it gets much worse.

There are so many evacuations going on that they are running out of places to go. On the news they were asking people not to go to shelters if they had any friends or relatives they could stay with. They were advising to use shelters only as a last resort.
In our area mandatory evacuation for 180,000 people. Only 3 shelters in schools. Most hotels also in the evacuation zone. Inland is mostly farms. People will have to drive far away as will many others fighting for rooms. My fear is many stayed put because there just isn't anywhere to go without driving long distance.

EDITED TO ADD: They just called to evacuate another zone. I don't know where they will go.

Last edited:
This one has both....and it's a big hurricane, much bigger than Charley that was essentially a wind event. The storm surge forecast is 12-16 feet which is catastrophic as will hit at high tide. And looks like it will make landfall as a cat 5. It just exploded in intensity and size in the last 12 hours and completed an eye wall replacement cycle right before landfall. I'm not sure it gets much worse.

I saw where NHC just increased the maximum storm surge potential to 18 feet:

"Peak Storm Surge Inundation has been increased for the following
locations:

* From Englewood to Bonita Beach...12-18 ft
* Charlotte Harbor...12-18 ft"

I saw where NHC just increased the maximum storm surge potential to 18 feet:

"Peak Storm Surge Inundation has been increased for the following
locations:

* From Englewood to Bonita Beach...12-18 ft
* Charlotte Harbor...12-18 ft"

Wow...we haven't seen a storm like this for some time. Katrina was awful with respect to loss of life, but that only happened because the levees broke. So we can hope/pray that loss of life will be far less than that if folks got out. The property damage is going to be a record breaker. Also a huge, huge hit to the Florida insurance situation which is already in terrible shape.

Guys, I'm not gonna lie. I'm worried. Most of my friends and family are inland (Polk County and Orange County), and they're prepared....but prepared like they usually do for a hurricane, because they normally weaken once they hit land. But it looks like this thing is following Ida's playbook to a tee. And if that's true, it'll barely blip in strength by the time it reaches the middle of the state. I'm scared that a whole lot of people are going to be in for a major disaster that they have no clue is coming.

Please stay safe everyone!!

Just talked to my Mother in Ft. Myers/Alva area.
"wind building & gusting, possible tornado in Lehigh acres, water building in some of the streets but not where they are. about 5K in Lee county w/o electric, local reports say storm surge of 8-12', eye of storm expected to pass over about 3PM then heavy winds."

They, along with some neighbors, are hunkered down w/ a generator, on the Calooashatchee but with a second story.

We were at WDW in 04 for Charley. What I recall is it was very fast moving by the time it reached the Orlando area, so the worst winds weren't on station for very long. WDW was open the next day (w/ the exception of AK, monorails and FP). This one's moving a lot slower.

We were at WDW in 04 for Charley. What I recall is it was very fast moving by the time it reached the Orlando area, so the worst winds weren't on station for very long. WDW was open the next day (w/ the exception of AK, monorails and FP).

Correct....but those of us who lived in the area lost power for two weeks. DH and I packed up the dogs and headed to Portafino Bay at Universal.

We were at WDW in 04 for Charley. What I recall is it was very fast moving by the time it reached the Orlando area, so the worst winds weren't on station for very long. WDW was open the next day (w/ the exception of AK, monorails and FP). This one's moving a lot slower.

True. Charley was moving at around 25 mph when it passed through the Orlando area. Ian is only moving at 10 mph right now, and is forecast to slow down even more later today.

True. Charley was moving at around 25 mph when it passed through the Orlando area. Ian is only moving at 10 mph right now, and is forecast to slow down even more later today.

Yes...it roared through....we ran to the interior bedroom closet with our dogs when the 6 foot stockade fence along the back property line started flying at the house and collapsed the bird cage screened in pool area. I believe the winds peaked around 100 with Charley. I cannot even fathom what it would be like in a more sustained 155+mph situation. Or even 110. There's going to be so much damage from this thing....across the entire state of Florida.

Sitting in AKV hoping:

* boma honors our breakfast res in half an hour.

* we find an empty washer & dryer later as fresh out of clothes via our long trip

* MCO opens on Friday & SWA 8 pm flight does take off, otherwise we are homeless

For those who live in the path, stay safe!

I have family in Venice. I thought for sure they would hunker down and stay, but thankfully they evacuated to Port Saint Lucie yesterday. Prayers to everyone in the path of Ian.

Correct....but those of us who lived in the area lost power for two weeks. DH and I packed up the dogs and headed to Portafino Bay at Universal.

Yes--sorry if I implied it wasn't a significant hurricane. Power was out all over, and SFB and MCO were closed the next day. We were supposed to fly out but our rental car company let us keep our car and waived the dropoff fee, so we were able to drive home. I felt bad for those staying behind and recovering.

One reason for the power outages with Charley is that Orlando had not experienced a hurricane for many years. There were a lot of vulnerable trees that came down and brought poles and wires with them. Our utilities are buried, so we didn’t lose power for Charley.

We are in a similar place now. It’s been almost 20 years since 2004, the year of three hurricanes. The ground is saturated, which makes trees vulnerable and we are going to have winds as bad or probably worse than Charlie for a much longer time. A lot of trees are going down, and they will take power lines with them. I have already bookmarked my power company website alert and report page, so I can monitor any outages and make a report if/when ours goes out. I don’t think we will have issues in the neighborhood due to the buried utilities, but I do not know where we connect to the grid and where our supply comes from other than the corporate offices for the co-op are in Sumter County. With the storm as large as it is, winds will reach farther west than they did with Charley, so I am prepared to be without.

I will be pleased if my oak tree is still standing after the storm. With all the predicted rain, that is not a given, even if the tree is healthy.

Have family with house and boat on canal off Tampa Bay so been watching close.

Tampa suddenly says they feel a tiny bit better because the tide is lower than it should be.

What? That is ominous.

Then a short while later I see this.

The storm is sucking the water out of the bay - which makes the storm bigger ... stuff out of the movies. :oops:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter