I would avoid Skybus

I do, but your opinion is almost the same as mine. You're relying on Skybus for family visits you can cancel if Skybus goes bust and you have a place to crash if you have to extend your stay.

You're making backup reservations for your vacation.

I'd consider Skybus, if they had an airport near me, under the same circumstances you're using them. I don't think Skybus will be around the end of the year but there isn't any reason you shouldn't try to grab a couple of cheap family visits before they go under.

I wouldn't drive 5 hours to get to a Skybus airport.

My comments are directed to other posters who are relying on Skybus for their family vacation but have no plan "B". The posters who don't understand the real risks of Skybus. The posters who think Skybus can be profitable because they charge for soda and baggage. Posters that may be forgoing discounted fares (with other airlines) that might not be available later.

I don't think any of the ATA passengers had $10 fares. At least some of the passengers may have been able to get a flight for a price somewhat in line with what they were budgeting. A couple of airlines are accomodating ATA passengers for $100 (standby).

The issue isn't just Skybus. I think passengers who are relying on airlines like Allegiant and USA3000 may have similar issues. Those airlines are constantely evaluating what routes to cancel. Routes to the Orlando area, which are filled with passengers who book deeply discounted seats, are prime routes to be dropped.

I appreciate your opinions, just give me equal time to express mine!!! :sad2:

From the Skybus website:

Skybus Airlines will cease all operations effective Saturday, April 5.
Skybus struggled to overcome the combination of rising jet fuel costs and a slowing economic environment. These two issues proved to be insurmountable for a new carrier.

We deeply regret the impact this decision will have on our employees and their families, customers, vendors, suppliers, airport officials and others in the cities in which we have operated. Our financial condition is such that our Board of Directors felt it had no choice but to cease operations.

Passengers holding reservations for Skybus flights scheduled to depart on or after Saturday, April 5, 2008 should contact their credit card companies to arrange to apply for a refund. More information for customers and others will be made available on the Skybus web site (www.skybus.com) as it becomes available.

All flights for Friday, April 4 will be completed. Passengers holding reservations on flights for Friday, April 4 should check in for their flight at a Skybus kiosk at the airport instead of the Skybus website.

I think the overall feeling is that there may be some finanical difficulties. Book with a credit card for some protection. (That would not include flying you to whereever......but hopefully a refund)

I think thier model has some flaws... we will see what happens.

I have 5 flights and they folded tonight, I booked with a bank card with a Visa logo, anyone have ideas of what I should do?

I have 5 flights and they folded tonight, I booked with a bank card with a Visa logo, anyone have ideas of what I should do?

I would call them. I'm not sure if you have the same protections with a bank card since the money is already out of your account.

Just contact your bank. Since I am assuming you processed it as a Visa transaction...not using your pin number...you should be covered. That's terrible!

Just contact your bank. Since I am assuming you processed it as a Visa transaction...not using your pin number...you should be covered. That's terrible!

Yes I just used it as a Visa. Thanks!

Actually the protection may very well be different. (This came up when SouthEAST went down last year)

A lot depends.

Good luck!

Excellent point. When an airline shuts down, with no notice, some passengers are stuck at their destination. Pay with a credit card and you'll get your $10 back. That won't get you home.

You can say that again. I just got off the phone with my sister who is in WDW right now. She was planning to fly back home on Wednesday via Skybus out of Ft. Myers (She's heading there this weekend to visit family). I just helped her book new return flights on Southwest out of Tampa.

Anything to come home on Wednesday was $225+. She's extending her trip a few days so she can get 7-day advance purchase discounts on Southwest, so she's coming home Friday for $80 instead.

It's a shame they had to close, but I think it really stinks that they didn't give any notice! They had to know a week ago that things were dire.

Because I used a bank card I am out all of my $$, they said I could file with bankrupcy court.. Yea, like I know how to do that..:headache:

Because I used a bank card I am out all of my $$, they said I could file with bankrupcy court.. Yea, like I know how to do that..:headache:

The Skybus website should have information on how to file with a bankruptcy court next week (then again, they aren't known for being helpful). It isn't that painful of a process.

However, you are still unlikely to get your money back because money is returned to debtors from most owed to least owed. By the time they get to you, there probably won't be any money left. Though, you did say you had five flights booked. How much do they owe you? If it's over $1,000, might as well try. If not, it probably isn't worth it.

Which bank do you use? When Independence Air went out of business, I had tickets, some of which were purchased with my Wamu debit card. I was able to file a dispute and get my money back.

I'm not going to avoid them just because of a few resignations. At $32RT to FL, I'm willing to take the chance and still book with them. Speaking of which, I've already had 2 trips to FL (totalling $140) and have 3 more booked for over the summer months (totalling $166). Anyway, life is all about chances!!

But YOU can feel free to avoid them - more cheap fares for me!!! :goodvibes
Hopefully you put that $166 on some plastic ;)

The Skybus website should have information on how to file with a bankruptcy court next week (then again, they aren't known for being helpful). It isn't that painful of a process.

:rotfl2:

"aren't know for being helpful" might be the understatment of the year on here. After all they had NO phone customer service..... Too funny!

Which bank do you use? When Independence Air went out of business, I had tickets, some of which were purchased with my Wamu debit card. I was able to file a dispute and get my money back.

It is Suntrust I will try.. Also it is less than $1000.00 so I think I am pretty much out of luck.:sad1:

Hey all! I flew into Indiana on Friday and was supposed to go back to North Carolina on Monday. Got the email last night at 10:45 PM (flew out at 10:45 AM yesterday!) that I was basically stuck. If that's not fraud, I don't know what is -- why were passengers not notified BEFORE getting on the plane that they wouldn't have a return flight?!?! You can't tell me they didn't know 12 hours earlier that they were shutting down.

Needless to say, my $55 flight is now probably going to end up costing me $300! No more "discount" airlines for me!

If that's not fraud, I don't know what is
It is definitely not fraud. You're understandably upset. It sucks that this happened. However, there is no criminal or civil violation here.

-- why were passengers not notified BEFORE getting on the plane that they wouldn't have a return flight?!?! You can't tell me they didn't know 12 hours earlier that they were shutting down.
And so it would have been the folks who flew twelve hours earlier than you who encountered this circumstance instead of you. The same end-result overall. Again, it sucks that this happened, but this is the risk we all take when we engage in an industry that is cut so close to the bone.

Needless to say, my $55 flight is now probably going to end up costing me $300! No more "discount" airlines for me!
A wise perspective, IMHO.

We were able to re-book with US Air when Independence went out of business. It did not cost us extra but we did lose one day of our vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter