I will never get this as a non parent

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
https://amp-clickorlando-com.cdn.am...alled-uber-jumped-from-orlando-parking-garage

So I just saw this news coverage about how a 12 yr old taking her life after uber dropped her off I am just having a hard time understanding how its Uber's fault

My experience is 9/10 uber/lyft drivers what the same think you want and that's to get you to your destination safely they don't want trouble from the passenger any more then I want trouble from them

Also I don't mind showing my id card with them if that is what it will take for the patents to feel better but from my understanding it is easy to get a fake

Last edited:
This story has nothing to do with being a parent. Uber has a policy of not allowing people under the age of 18 to ride alone. A 12-year old girl called an Uber early in the morning before dawn. The driver accepted the fare, even though it was against the rules, and drove her 20 miles away to a parking garage where she jumped to her death. Her family claims that if the Uber driver had followed the rules and not driven her to the parking garage then she would not have taken her life that day. Specifically, she would not have jumped from that particular parking garage since she would not have been able to get there on her own.

Very easy for me to understand why Uber has some liability. They have a policy that they don't transport unattended minors, and this driver violated that rule.

My poor daughter keeps running into issues with service people coming to the house, because they won't even step in the house unless there is someone over 18 in the house. Someday she will appreciate looking 10 years younger than she is.

This story has nothing to do with being a parent. Uber has a policy of not allowing people under the age of 18 to ride alone. A 12-year old girl called an Uber early in the morning before dawn. The driver accepted the fare, even though it was against the rules, and drove her 20 miles away to a parking garage where she jumped to her death. Her family claims that if the Uber driver had followed the rules and not driven her to the parking garage then she would not have taken her life that day. Specifically, she would not have jumped from that particular parking garage since she would not have been able to get there on her own.

I understand now ironically I was leaving the gym and came across a kid who was with his day camp and did not feel like walking anymore and ask that I give him 10 dollars for uber did not think twice before saying no

ETA I am surprised I don't get carded because I do look immature for my age

I would never ever think of destroying someone else's life to help me cope with my grief. I'm really ticked off at those parents. Keep a better eye on your kid Why the hell does the kid have the Uber app? One of those parents had to give a credit card for it. I hope Uber's attorney's whoop their butts.

Wouldn't that make the driver liable, not Uber? Since they went against the company policy to not transport minors?

Yes, the driver has liability. But the company policy is an internal matter between the driver and Uber. From an insurance claims perspective...which is what this is...Uber will have exposure. In theory, they could deny coverage to the driver specifically, but they would still provide a defense/indemnification to Uber, so they'll wind up settling. I agree that in my opinion the girls' sad death isn't as a direct result of the Uber ride, as it's an easy argument to make that she would have walked or found another way. However, the clear violation of the Uber policy even in extremely loose connection to a death...along with the news headlines... is what's going to make this settle.

I would never ever think of destroying someone else's life to help me cope with my grief. I'm really ticked off at those parents. Keep a better eye on your kid Why the hell does the kid have the Uber app? One of those parents had to give a credit card for it. I hope Uber's attorney's whoop their butts.

Did you read the article? She downloaded the app on to her mother's phone.

Did the parents give the Uber driver a credit card in the middle of the night? I cannot open the link on my phone.
This is a sad story. Sometimes people do not see warning signs for depression or suicide. This is why awareness is so important. If the parents did not think the child was a danger to herself, of course they would not think she would sneak off in the middle of the night. I will read the link later.

This poor girl. I can’t imagine. It’s not Uber’s fault. I think the parents are just looking for someone to blame because they dropped the ball on their kid. If Uber wouldn’t do it, someone would have. She would have found a way. This is heartbreaking

Did you read the article? She downloaded the app on to her mother's phone.

In all honesty, I didn't read it, I only read what the OP summarize. Now the parents can sue Apple (or whomever) too, for allowing the little girl to break into mommy's phone, and they can sue Visa/MasterCard for allowing fraudulent charges.

Why does EVERYTHING have to be a lawsuit....it pretty much my point?

(I have since read it)

You can't necessarily tell someone's age by looking at them. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that a passenger picked up in the middle of the night is an adult.

So true when I meet someone for the first time my mom tells them my age just for a shock factor

I don't think this is a "parent" thing as much as a people thing. Often when something tragic happens, family members will seek to file a lawsuit. In this particular case it simply happens to be the parents.

Wouldn't that make the driver liable, not Uber? Since they went against the company policy to not transport minors?
Like I posted..."some" liability. They not only have safety policies and rules, but they are representing to the customers that they make sure they are followed.

In all honesty, I didn't read it, I only read what the OP summarize. Now the parents can sue Apple (or whomever) too, for allowing the little girl to break into mommy's phone, and they can sue Visa/MasterCard for allowing fraudulent charges.

Why does EVERYTHING have to be a lawsuit....it pretty much my point?

(I have since read it)

Sorry it took me forever to find the article but glad I did because now I have a better understanding of where the parents are coming from

You can't necessarily tell someone's age by looking at them. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that a passenger picked up in the middle of the night is an adult.
I may not be able to tell someone is exactly 12 by looking at them. I might even mistake them for 15-16. But there is no chance (other than never say never) that I'd mistake a 12 year old girl for an adult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter