I was never prejudiced until today, I hate all WHITE...

I hate colored lights, especially the LED ones. I like a warm feeling at Christmas time and those hideous colored lights make it look like I'm in some futuristic nightmare. But hey OP if you like the colored ones by all means put them up and enjoy, it's a strange thing to get so worked up about especially on Christmas Day. Hope you are able to enjoy your day no matter what kind of lights others like :santa:

Remind me to never invite you to see my display. :D It's 100% LED. Though I suspect you're more thinking of "cool" white vs "warm" white. The warm white has the look you're referring to, which is similar to the old fashion incandescent bulbs, even in LED form. They just use far less electricity. They make multicolored lights that way too, they just have a different cover on them. I used to have all incandescent bulbs in my display. However, it used so much power that I literally had to use 5 separate circuits to run the show. I had cords running everywhere into the house. With LED, I can run the entire show on one circuit if I wanted to.

The lights on our pre-lit tree (the original incandescent kind) went out.... Had to spend an hour cutting them all out of the tree and go buy new lights!!!!
My thing with the warm white, is it ends up looking yellow to me.. Okay, so we picked up the cool whites... and YIKES!!! They are a very bright, almost blue-white.
I am big on cooler cleaner colors, but these are a bit much!

Can't they get it right, with a middle ground???

Our little tree is still gorgeous, though.
Even though I never really got it totally decked out with decorations.

I like light displays of all kinds, adds to the holiday cheer. We have colored lights with a few blow ups in our yard. I'm sure there are probably some neighbors who might not like it, but I'll consider changes to my display only after they consult me on their decor.

I was raised with the philosophy that anything more than a wreath on the door and a Christmas tree visible through the window was tacky and I still struggle with that. I like admiring other people's hard work though and I agree that the white lights just don't have that wow factor that colored lights do. If we're voicing pet peeves, I have to admit that I don't like the projectors. They bug me for some reason.

Remind me to never invite you to see my display. :D It's 100% LED. Though I suspect you're more thinking of "cool" white vs "warm" white. The warm white has the look you're referring to, which is similar to the old fashion incandescent bulbs, even in LED form. They just use far less electricity. They make multicolored lights that way too, they just have a different cover on them. I used to have all incandescent bulbs in my display. However, it used so much power that I literally had to use 5 separate circuits to run the show. I had cords running everywhere into the house. With LED, I can run the entire show on one circuit if I wanted to.

I have seen your display, the pictures of it in the other thread. I totally appreciate everyone's decorations and I enjoy looking at them however for me, in my house or on my house I hate those colored lights. They just don't have that warm welcoming feeling I want for my own display. It's just my own personal preference.
My tree is an LED pre-lit with the option of white (warm) or colored, or flashing between the two :faint:. The only time it is on colored is Christmas day because my youngest likes the colored. As soon as he leaves the room I switch it back to white :laughing:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

(Dan M. reminded me about this 20 year old DIS-mas tale. Gee 20 years…pre Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Google. I read that back in 1997 when The DIS started there were less than 100,000 websites today there are over 1.8 billion. Pete W. is an innovator The Disney Information Station was the first unofficial Disney website. )
So good to see you!!!! Merry Christmas.

And I like colored lights.

When I was a kid, all the lights were multicolor larger bulbs, both inside and out. Then the smaller lights became popular, especially inside, and eventually replaced the larger ones outside too. Then it seemed white lights became very popular both inside and out. Now it seems I see more color again, and more larger bulbs. I like them all. I have seen some really nice all white displays, some all multi color and some with both.

Colored in December then I switch them to white in January for the rest of the winter. Buying color changing lights was a great investment.

We live on a very dark street and I like having the lights to come home to in the evenings. They look especially pretty against the snow.

I think white lights look nice in certain situations, but I definitely prefer colored. I don't put up exterior lights, but if I did they would NOT be white. My tree is multicolor, and it will always be multicolor, and incandescent for the foreseeable future. While the technology of LED has improved so they look closer to incandescent than they used to, I think they have a ways to go yet. LEDs still just don't have that magical warm Christmas glow like old fashioned incandescent.

We tend to alternate color or white every other year. This year our decor is totally random. We let our 6 year old daughter “design”. We are swimming in all blue lights with a light up Christmas narwhal. It looks like you’re under the sea out there - the LEDs cast blue circles on the ground and trees that look like bubbles. Not terribly christmassy, but it sure stands out!

About 20 years ago, my dad and step-mom drove out to see us for Christmas. They lived in a suburb of Boston, we're about 35 miles west, in Central Mass. Well, my step-mother said to me 'Well, you can certainly tell we're in Protestant country!!! No colored lights anywhere!!! Not very Christmasy is you ask me!!!' Now, where they were living is a hot bed of colored lights...some might even say way overdone colored lights. But, she was right....mostly white lights here. Our town now does white lights in the trees only. Why? Because we call them 'winter lights', that way we can leave them up all winter, and no one complains. If they went back to colored lights, people would complain that we celebrate Christmas and not the other holidays. And yes, there were complaints.
Now? I have white lights in my windows. A prelit white tree..but I do prefer colored. I have colored lights wrapped around my light pole. And I used to put colored lights, the larger bulbs, on my front bushes and along my white fencing. Just too much trouble this year to do it, so have just the light pole done, with plastic Santa next to it. Yes, a plastic Santa!!!!!

I’m glad I read through to the end! At first, I was like, “Man, the things some people get upset about!” Glad it was simply humor!

To answer the question though, at our house it depends. I think we’ve had it all over the years. We’ve had the traditional multi-colored lights. We’ve had all white, including the white icicles, and we’ve had the multi-color lights with some newer colors (purple, pink). Two years ago, my husband bought a projector, much to my chagrin. I hated those when they first came out.

My favorites were when we had all white lights with the icicle lights, and the traditional multi-colored lights WITH the projection added. We had no lights this year though.

As a kid (I’m 49 now), our house was the only one with the small lights. To make it worse (to my young eyes), my dad insisted on using all green lights. He always did a really nice job, but I really wished we could have those huge multi-colored bulbs all the neighbors had.

we double layer with white isicles and colored old style, you can buy them online . Plus a few blow ups on the lawn including Minnie and mickey this year. Looks pretty fabulous. The problem now is most colored now are leds which look like vegas gone bad

Just came back from hitting my first Wal-Mart for post clearance sale. Shelves are picked pretty clean, which stinks. But I still picked up:

9 boxes of blue LED "tape" lights
7 boxes of LED red lights
28 boxes of LED blue lights

Going to another Wal-Mart tomorrow morning.

Christmas lights especially the stupid white icicle kind. (hey lady they don't look like icicles, they look like little white lights tied on crooked white strings.) Who took the color out of Christmas? This year, as I drove around my development, it really hit me. Every single house had white icicle lights in the windows and strings of white lights in the bushes and trees. (in the trees might be nice in WDW but Jersey City is no Magic Kingdom.) Not one color light in the whole development. It is just sickening that this could happen in this day and age in such an advanced country. (first corn and now color lights, what's next)

Well I have some news for you; I went out and brought a couple of those old fashioned strings of color lights. (you remember the big bulbs don't you?) The guys over at my local big Home Improvement store, more or less laughed in my face when I asked for them. (they got on the sound system and announced, "Someone is asking for old fashioned color Christmas lights in aisle 5, go check the FOOL out") How humiliating, I left with my scarf covering my face. (I bet all of the white light lovers had white or aluminum fake Christmas trees in the 1950's, no wonder they are so screwed up.)

I was able to find a few strings of color in an old neighborhood hardware store. (the old-timer behind the counter remembered them well) He told me a great story about the twinkle bulbs. (I can't repeat it on the DIS) He put them in a brown bag, and told me to be careful. (I felt like James Bond, no better yet an 18 year-old who just scored a 6pack of beer.)

I proudly put the big old lights in my front windows for ALL to see. Yes the beautiful blues, the gracious greens, the regal reds, and the outrageous oranges. Those are the true colors of Christmas. (young people take note)

My anti-white crusade has not been an easy one. The neighbors are sending around a petition to have me take down my color lights. They said that we are ruining the flow of the neighborhood Christmas theme. (FLOW THIS!) I heard that the association is scheduling a special meeting about my lights. (come and get me, and you thought Waco was bad)

My wife and I can take the abuse but I am very worried about my two young sons. Some neighborhood hooligans started telling them that Santa doesn't go to houses with color Christmas lights. (they came home in tears)

I will let you all know what happens.

By the way what is it at your house WHITE or COLOR?

(don't be afraid to admit your preference, the DIS is a friendly place)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

(Dan M. reminded me about this 20 year old DIS-mas tale. Gee 20 years…pre Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Google. I read that back in 1997 when The DIS started there were less than 100,000 websites today there are over 1.8 billion. Pete W. is an innovator The Disney Information Station was the first unofficial Disney website. )
I agree with the sentiment about all the white lights, but, was that crap about the Home Improvement Store laughed at you. Unless someone told a joke, no one in retail would do that or the other story about what they said to your kids. The story was fine without the fake hyperbole. White, blue, red or multi-colored is fine. You don't need to brace up your decision to choose colors to gain sympathy. We all feel that whatever you decide on, is your business and we are not going to be judgmental about something as trivial as that. Otherwise it is a great story and very informative.

Well apparently someone really liked my white lights because they were stolen off of my tree! :sad2: Who steals lights?! None of my bushes lost their lights (all colored), but someone took the time to unwrap my palm tree. Ugh.

I love all colored lights. They really light up the tradition here. And really makes it more and more Christmasy if ya know what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter