I want to cancel my landline (but keep my number) to save money

disneyandme

DIS Veteran
I currently have Windstream for my landline and spend about $60 a month for my service (most of that in fees). I would like to cancel that service and get a prepaid phone or something else so I can cut the cost. I need to, however, keep my number as it's been our main number for almost 15 years. What do people recommend and how much will it save? Has anyone had luck porting a number from Windstream?

I currently have Windstream for my landline and spend about $60 a month for my service (most of that in fees). I would like to cancel that service and get a prepaid phone or something else so I can cut the cost. I need to, however, keep my number as it's been our main number for almost 15 years. What do people recommend and how much will it save? Has anyone had luck porting a number from Windstream?

Don't want to make it difficult on the telemarketers trying to figure out your new number? The phone has become almost useless with the majority of calls from telemarketers. I never answer it anymore.

^^ Same here, if the caller ID shows 'unknown #' or 'out of area' it is yet another annoying telemarketer so I just don't answer it. Notice how they NEVER leave a message, so it seems their intent is just to annoy people.......LOL. Does anyone actually buy any of the junk they are trying to sell?

I believe you can only transfer phone #'s between different cell phone providers.

When we dropped our landline, we ported that number into a sprint cell phone.

So essentially, my husband has had that number for over 25 years, 19 as a landline and 6 as a cellphone.

Look in to Ooma.. I've had them for about 6 years now, and it only costs me $4.92/month. You do have to buy the Telo unit outright at the beginning (they go for about $75), but after that, that's it.
I wanted something that I could definitely port my number over because this house has had the same phone # since the 1940's (was my grandparent's house), and I didn't have any issues at all with doing so.

I will second the Ooma recommendation. We've have it for years as well. $5.72/mo + we also pay for the premium services (voicemail, 3-way calling, call forwarding, etc.) which adds on ~$10/mo, for a total of about $16/mo. I still have all-in-one machines that can fax paperwork, and Ooma works well for that. And if we travel internationally, then we can make calls with the Ooma app back to the US on our cell phones without paying international rates.

Don't want to make it difficult on the telemarketers trying to figure out your new number? The phone has become almost useless with the majority of calls from telemarketers. I never answer it anymore.
I only give out my landline number but I get telemarketer calls on my cell phone and there are only 8 people on this planet that I have given my cell number to.
I don't think people realize telemarketers are NOT going off some list with your name and phone number. They know what prefixes that are in use in your area code and just start dialing. In the 213 area code they know 333 is an active prefix and their computer starts dialing at 415-333-0000 and keeps dialing all the way through 415-333-9999. They have no idea who the individual is they are calling.
I know from work, where we have I have to answer every call no matter what the caller ID says, that about half the calls come from phones where the ID is blocked. It comes up as "Anonymous" or "Wireless Provider" on our caller ID.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't EVER call a toll free number if you want to keep your number private. The call is free to you, the person you are calling is paying for it and because of that your number is revealed to them even if it is blocked. And that also exempts them.......and all their affiliates from the Do Not Call rules, because by calling them, you have established a business relationship with them.

And that also exempts them.......and all their affiliates from the Do Not Call rules, because by calling them, you have established a business relationship with them.
Are you positive? https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...elemarketers-sellers-about-dnc-provisions-tsr
"10. How does the established business relationship provision work for a consumer whose number is on the registry?
A company with which a consumer has an established business relationship may call for up to 18 months after the consumer’s last purchase or last delivery, or last payment, unless the consumer asks the company not to call again."
How does simply making a telephone call translate to a purchse, delivery, or payment?

Are you positive? https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...elemarketers-sellers-about-dnc-provisions-tsr
"10. How does the established business relationship provision work for a consumer whose number is on the registry?
A company with which a consumer has an established business relationship may call for up to 18 months after the consumer’s last purchase or last delivery, or last payment, unless the consumer asks the company not to call again."
How does simply making a telephone call translate to a purchse, delivery, or payment?

I wish those words were enforced. However, almost all my calls are from charities and political groups who are exempt entirely from the Do Not Call list.

I wish those words were enforced. However, almost all my calls are from charities and political groups who are exempt entirely from the Do Not Call list.
There is zero correlation between the claim that simply calling a toll-free number creates a business relationship, and the charity/political exemption. None. Zip. Zilch. Bupkes. Despite each person's ability to fact check, it's probably best to not spread such dramatic misinformation.

When we moved from West Coast to Southeadt 3 years ago, we did not go with a landline. It’s something we wanted to do for a long time. Our monthly phone line was about $35/month with AT&T. Honestly, all I would get on my landline were telemarking. When we signed up with cell phone provider , we got extra cell phone for free & use that as extra in house.

Some landlines can be ported to a cell some can not. The best way is to try... There are many prepaid options out there such as Boost which is owned by Sprint, Metro PCS which is owned by T-Mobile, Cricket that is owned by ATT. You can always stop by a store or call some like Boost direct. Sometimes this can be a bit of a hassle as the customer service at all is not that great and the stores want to make a sale... but they certainly can check if you are willing to change that day. Note that sometimes Boost can port a number the Cricket can't etc. and sometimes no one can... If you can Port do not assume your landline is cancelled as they may tell you... call wind stream to tell them as well...
As other has said how many real people call you on a landline anymore or cell phone for that fact.. make a list and call people and tell them your new number... sorry people just don't talk anymore :joker:

You can successfully port your existing home phone number into a cell phone, but I'm not sure that you can port it into a prepaid phone.

I mobes my number to magic jack for a year for 30.00 now it's been 6 years I still use it through the app for free

Look up OOMA. I found about it here on the dis in the budget section. Great and around $5 a month. Have had it for a few years.

I only give out my landline number but I get telemarketer calls on my cell phone and there are only 8 people on this planet that I have given my cell number to.
I don't think people realize telemarketers are NOT going off some list with your name and phone number. They know what prefixes that are in use in your area code and just start dialing. In the 213 area code they know 333 is an active prefix and their computer starts dialing at 415-333-0000 and keeps dialing all the way through 415-333-9999. They have no idea who the individual is they are calling.
I know from work, where we have I have to answer every call no matter what the caller ID says, that about half the calls come from phones where the ID is blocked. It comes up as "Anonymous" or "Wireless Provider" on our caller ID.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't EVER call a toll free number if you want to keep your number private. The call is free to you, the person you are calling is paying for it and because of that your number is revealed to them even if it is blocked. And that also exempts them.......and all their affiliates from the Do Not Call rules, because by calling them, you have established a business relationship with them.

Actually I used to work in telco-what really happens is that those companies have dial disks with ALL of the exchanges in the area they want to hit-active or not-that they put in a computer that auto dials. It also records if they are answered-meaning if they go to a machine it answers as a good number, goes fast busy, ect. We had a teleconferencing service and we used to have to call certain legit business in our area ( local newspaper) and tell them to pull the dialer disk because the lines were falling into auto access conference calls.
And that's now how 800 numbers work either sorry. You can call an 800 with out worrying about that whole number is reveled and business relationship nonsense. Your call does not terminated on the 800 number-those numbers are pointed to a regular number and the owner is billed for number of minutes -regardless of source which is not available to them. 800s are portable and can terminate in Colorado today and California tomorrow.

And that's now how 800 numbers work either sorry. You can call an 800 with out worrying about that whole number is reveled and business relationship nonsense. Your call does not terminated on the 800 number-those numbers are pointed to a regular number and the owner is billed for number of minutes -regardless of source which is not available to them. 800s are portable and can terminate in Colorado today and California tomorrow.

I just checked with A-T&T customer service. You can not block your ID to a toll free number, and it will be visible to the receiver because they are paying for the call. Same with 911.
https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-block-caller-id-make-private-call-iphone

https://www.lifewire.com/hide-your-number-with-star-67-4154833

https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com...-number-from-appearing-any-caller-id-0140270/

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/block-your-cellphone-number-from-caller-id-with-this-one-trick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter