i want adventure in the great wide somewhere - running journal! (comments welcome)

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 15

My best friend had a baby! I'm an auntie! 💕

May 3: 5.00 miles • 53:55 • 10:47 avg pace

I got there early to do 1 or 2 before the rest of the group. Ended up doing 1.5 and then the 3 mile loop with the group, followed by a small addition of .5 to finish it off. Went with pizza for dinner this time.

May 4: Track Week 3
I started with a 1 mile warm up (10:34 - green heart rate) and drills. The workout was a ladder (400-800-1 mile-800-400) at 5k pace except for me - my ladder was 10k (10:00-10:15) pace with a bonus mile at the end at marathon pace (10:45-11:00). Oh and 2 minute standing rest between each one.

My average pace for this workout was 9:56. 😲 Here is the breakdown:

400: 2:13 (8:49 pace)
800: 4:47 (9:31 pace)
1 mile: 9:59 (9:59 pace)
800: 5:01 (9:51 pace)
400: 2:28 (9:53 pace)
1 mile: 10:26 (10:26 pace)

So... I started a little fast but eventually worked it out and almost got to my goal pace! Then I ended it with a .5 cool down (5:16) to hit 5 total for the night!

May 5: 5.00 miles • 52:32 • 10:30 avg pace
I thought I would be a little slower since, again, I had just done a workout 12 hours before! Ended up going faster than anticipated. Not mad about it though.

May 7: 20.00 miles • 3:57:42 • 11:53 avg pace
Today's running lesson was on pacing. Your girl went out way. too. fast. For some context, the first 8 miles were as follow: 11:14 • 10:59 • 11:00 • 10:58 • 10:44 • 10:57 • 10:26 • 10:44

Like, who does she think she is? For fuel, I did a package of clif bloks at 3 miles and a vanilla honey stinger waffle at 6 miles. Since I decided to run like some sort of fast person, I spent the next 3 miles trying to salvage what I knew I had messed up, bringing my pace down to around an 11:15-11:30 since that's closer to what my average was last week. I did that with moderate success (11:18, 11:27, 11:15). Oh, and more fuel (bloks at 9, waffle at 12).

And then I spent the next 8 miles just trying to survive. We were in run/walk/crawl/whatever it takes territory. Continued to fuel (salt bloks at ??? maybe something else??? the mind goes at this point). Did some walking breaks while I fueled and then during the last 5 miles I did some walking breaks because, like I said, we were doing whatever it took. It was mile 17 and 18 that those walking breaks were more scheduled, every quarter mile and lasting for a quarter mile. (12:09 • 13:13 • 13:05 • 12:47 • 12:10 • 13:18 • 14:09 • 14:26).

The last mile? Wanted to see if I had any fuel left in the tank to speed up just a little bit. Turns out I did (11:23). And I could have gone on for 6.2 more miles. Would they have been an enjoyable 6.2 miles? No. No they would not.

Like I said, this was a good lesson in pacing. Right now the race day plan is hang out with the 5:30 pace group so I don't go out too fast and keep the race feeling as easy as a marathon can feel. My goal then is to have enough gas in the tank and be relatively pain free so I can race the last 6.2 or 3.1 miles, depending on how I'm doing.

Now, taper madness begins!

Like, who does she think she is?
:rotfl2:I have been guilty of this too. Do a little speed work early in the week and get used to running fast then boom! Forget you’re long running and suffer. As painful as it was, you’ll remember the lesson and apply it to your actual race day. Better to make the mistake during training.
And congrats on becoming an auntie!!

:rotfl2:I have been guilty of this too. Do a little speed work early in the week and get used to running fast then boom! Forget you’re long running and suffer. As painful as it was, you’ll remember the lesson and apply it to your actual race day. Better to make the mistake during training.
And congrats on becoming an auntie!!
When I looked down at my watch and saw a 10:10 pace I knew I had #$@&ed up. 🤣

& thank you!! Itching to meet Miss Isla! But I got my baby fix in yesterday when I met my other friend's 2-month old Lily. So many girls!

Like I said, this was a good lesson in pacing. Right now the race day plan is hang out with the 5:30 pace group so I don't go out too fast and keep the race feeling as easy as a marathon can feel. My goal then is to have enough gas in the tank and be relatively pain free so I can race the last 6.2 or 3.1 miles, depending on how I'm doing.

Better to learn that lesson in training than on race day. A good pace strategy is critical for a marathon (as long as you can avoid negative thoughts). Also keep in mind being flexible with your pace strategy depending on the weather and the race course design (hills). Lastly, keep in mind pacers are human beings and not infallible. You've done all this training based on your personal GPS device. So if you're suppose to be doing 12:35 pace, and your watch says you're doing 11:35 min/mile pace, then unless you have a good reason not to trust your GPS device, trust it. That's to say, pacers by their very nature are running a pace that should be very very easy for them. So the difference between 12:35 and 11:35 is like the difference between 14:00 and 15:00 for you. They can barely tell the difference between these. But for you, that difference in effort can be enormous. So trust the pacers up until you have reason to believe you shouldn't be.

My calculator thinks you've got about a 50% or better chance at 5:20 or less.

Better to learn that lesson in training than on race day. A good pace strategy is critical for a marathon (as long as you can avoid negative thoughts). Also keep in mind being flexible with your pace strategy depending on the weather and the race course design (hills). Lastly, keep in mind pacers are human beings and not infallible. You've done all this training based on your personal GPS device. So if you're suppose to be doing 12:35 pace, and your watch says you're doing 11:35 min/mile pace, then unless you have a good reason not to trust your GPS device, trust it. That's to say, pacers by their very nature are running a pace that should be very very easy for them. So the difference between 12:35 and 11:35 is like the difference between 14:00 and 15:00 for you. They can barely tell the difference between these. But for you, that difference in effort can be enormous. So trust the pacers up until you have reason to believe you shouldn't be.

My calculator thinks you've got about a 50% or better chance at 5:20 or less.
100% - I know what it feels like and I'm not looking to repeat!

I've never run with a pace group so thank you for this good advice/heads up. I know that all pacers are not created equal and there is a possibility they could take off too fast so I'm prepared to adjust on the fly. I feel so good about my training and I know it's going to take me to my finish line.

Sub 5:30 is sort of the ultimate goal after the ones that feel very very easy (reach the start line, faster than Disney, sub-6:00), then there are bonus goals down the line if I'm on track.

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 16

I got to meet the baby this week! I also skipped most of my runs! Those two things aren't related, for the record.

May 10: 5.00 miles • 55:06 • 11:01 avg pace
Had an early 2 with Amy and Toshie, then did 3 with Casey. The first two felt tough - the weather is finally warming up and I am so not used to it.

May 11: Track Week 4 (Skipped)

I had a volunteer commitment so I wasn't able to attend track this week. The workout would have been 4x1 mile with each lap during the mile getting progressively faster by a few seconds. The rest of the group did that workout except at 5k pace and only 3x1.

May 12: Skipped
Full disclosure - I got home from work in time to go for a run and didn't want to so I didn't. I had spent the day at my summer camp so the combination of trash pick up, window washing, and salt air had me feeling very grimy and a shower sounded preferable before the club's board meeting.

81OgQZ2Zt6L.jpg
I read another book, though! These books aren't very good but they are entertaining.

May 14: 10.00 miles • 1:52:09 • 11:13 avg pace
If Tuesday was warm, this was boiling. How do people run in any sort of heat? I started at 6 am to try to beat it and nothing happened. It was 64 when I left my house. By the time I finished my run it was in the 70s. If you had asked me, I would have told you it was 100 degrees. New England should have given us a bit more of a gradual increase in temp. Unreal.

Oh, how did the run go? Fine. A little fast again since I went out with Michelle and I chase her. I think had it been cooler I would have been okay because the miles were still in the high 10's and I can absolutely maintain that pace for this long. The issue was the heat. I melted hard. Second set of 5 miles was in the 11's. I was running with April and Robin at this point and Robin hasn't run much because she had a pretty bad case of covid. So we added some walking breaks at the end for Robin (and I didn't mind).

Technically, 12 was on the schedule but they were going back to the cars and getting coffee and that sounded like way more fun than running another 2 miles.

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 16

I got to meet the baby this week! I also skipped most of my runs! Those two things aren't related, for the record.

May 10: 5.00 miles • 55:06 • 11:01 avg pace
Had an early 2 with Amy and Toshie, then did 3 with Casey. The first two felt tough - the weather is finally warming up and I am so not used to it.

May 11: Track Week 4 (Skipped)

I had a volunteer commitment so I wasn't able to attend track this week. The workout would have been 4x1 mile with each lap during the mile getting progressively faster by a few seconds. The rest of the group did that workout except at 5k pace and only 3x1.

May 12: Skipped
Full disclosure - I got home from work in time to go for a run and didn't want to so I didn't. I had spent the day at my summer camp so the combination of trash pick up, window washing, and salt air had me feeling very grimy and a shower sounded preferable before the club's board meeting.

View attachment 669202
I read another book, though! These books aren't very good but they are entertaining.

May 14: 10.00 miles • 1:52:09 • 11:13 avg pace
If Tuesday was warm, this was boiling. How do people run in any sort of heat? I started at 6 am to try to beat it and nothing happened. It was 64 when I left my house. By the time I finished my run it was in the 70s. If you had asked me, I would have told you it was 100 degrees. New England should have given us a bit more of a gradual increase in temp. Unreal.

Oh, how did the run go? Fine. A little fast again since I went out with Michelle and I chase her. I think had it been cooler I would have been okay because the miles were still in the high 10's and I can absolutely maintain that pace for this long. The issue was the heat. I melted hard. Second set of 5 miles was in the 11's. I was running with April and Robin at this point and Robin hasn't run much because she had a pretty bad case of covid. So we added some walking breaks at the end for Robin (and I didn't mind).

Technically, 12 was on the schedule but they were going back to the cars and getting coffee and that sounded like way more fun than running another 2 miles.
I'm in Arizona. I'm a big fan of those cooling neck gaiters that get cold, when wet. I cut one apart to make two smaller ones to wear wrists/arms. Freeze/ put ice in camelback. Get up super early. Besides that I just make myself get used to it. Realize you will have to slow down, but when you run in cooler weather it's like a super power!

I'm in Arizona. I'm a big fan of those cooling neck gaiters that get cold, when wet. I cut one apart to make two smaller ones to wear wrists/arms. Freeze/ put ice in camelback. Get up super early. Besides that I just make myself get used to it. Realize you will have to slow down, but when you run in cooler weather it's like a super power!
Southern TX here. Freezing a half full hydration pack is amazing for longer runs! Top off any extra room with water so you have some to drink and as it melts you get cold water for at least 8 miles (YMMV depending on temps). And it is cool on your back. Win, win! I will also carry a cooling towel once temps get into the 80’s plus that I can rewet with the cold water out of my pack. Run through every sprinkler. And, absolutely slow down. My 10 miles this weekend started at mid 70’s, 97% humidity at 7:00 am and was into the low 80’s by the time I was done. In a couple of months I will be longing for these temps but right now it feels so hot!! During the week I get up earlier and usually get out while it still dark, but it’s harder to make myself do that on the weekend. The fall glow-up is super nice though. That first run when it cools off feels like you can fly!!

I have a few of those cooling towels from Disney races! Might pack them just in case. If I bring both I can toss one if it's bothersome and have my cheer squad bring one to the finish. I'm prepared to slow way down, although it's not looking too bad right now.

Southern TX here. Freezing a half full hydration pack is amazing for longer runs! Top off any extra room with water so you have some to drink and as it melts you get cold water for at least 8 miles (YMMV depending on temps). And it is cool on your back. Win, win! I will also carry a cooling towel once temps get into the 80’s plus that I can rewet with the cold water out of my pack. Run through every sprinkler. And, absolutely slow down. My 10 miles this weekend started at mid 70’s, 97% humidity at 7:00 am and was into the low 80’s by the time I was done. In a couple of months I will be longing for these temps but right now it feels so hot!! During the week I get up earlier and usually get out while it still dark, but it’s harder to make myself do that on the weekend. The fall glow-up is super nice though. That first run when it cools off feels like you can fly!!
I'll freeze half my gatorade and plan to take water from the course support, I think. It's just a handheld but might still be helpful. I am so ready for fall weather.

I've been reading these books too. They are what I call "fluff", basically light-hearted easy reading so I can wind down at night. :)
Yes! I go between the fluff and the heavier books. The fluff is super fun and easy to read. So far so good on my goal of about 2 books per month.

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 17

As they say (who's they?), "The hay is in the barn."

May 17: 4.00 miles • 42:37 • 10:39 avg pace

I met up with the group at 7 for 4 miles. It was a small group this evening, only four of us ran and grabbed dinner. I didn't feel as fast as this run shows, but I guess I was a little bit speedy.

May 18: Track Week 5 (Skipped)
I grabbed a drink and dinner after work with some friends instead of running. I had 3 miles on the schedule. I was planning on doing it at track, but due to a high school track meet, we wouldn't be able to start until 7. I wasn't allowed to do the track workout anyway (8x200s) because the coach said I have to respect the taper. Fair. So I got a drink instead.

May 19: 4.01 miles • 43:52 • 10:57 avg pace
Thursday morning followed by coffee. My legs were feeling pretty tired for some reason, so I poked along and got my four done. Coffee is the reason I go, anyway, and I got a nice iced latte.

May 21: 8.00 miles • 1:25:17 • 10:39 avg pace
Last "long" run! I woke up early and did 2 miles at 6:30 followed by 6 with the Saturday morning group
. I felt really good! Lots of friends asking me about how I feel leading up to race day - and I feel ready! It's still too early to talk weather, but I am starting to plan the weekend. I'll drive up Saturday and go to the expo. Then I'd like to get a 2 mile shakeout since the drive up is about 3 hours. Then a nice dinner and early to bed. Depending on how far the start is from the hotel I'll drive, be driven, or walk. But there's time to figure that out. All my fuel is purchased and ready to go. Just a week to go!

Yay! Race week!

I'll freeze half my gatorade
Be careful how you do this. My Powerade is stored in the garage so it sometimes freezes in the winter. It tastes a little weird when it unfreezes because all the flavoring and electrolytes separate. In fact, I’ve started putting it in the garage fridge in the winter so it won’t freeze.

Yay! Race week!

Be careful how you do this. My Powerade is stored in the garage so it sometimes freezes in the winter. It tastes a little weird when it unfreezes because all the flavoring and electrolytes separate. In fact, I’ve started putting it in the garage fridge in the winter so it won’t freeze.
Yes, i find it weird frozen. I just freeze water, but you can top it off with Gatorade etc.

Coach Charles (@cewait). Hasn't posted since 2015.
"The hay is in the barn"
- Coach Charles
- Jillian

Yay! Race week!

Yes, i find it weird frozen. I just freeze water, but you can top it off with Gatorade etc.

I've frozen it before and don't mind the separation/taste!

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 18

This is going to be a combination of some run recaps from the week and looking forward to the weekend. I'm putting off cleaning my condo and packing, if we're being honest.

May 24: 3.00 miles • 32:57 • 10:58 avg pace
An easy three for my last Tuesday run of this training cycle. Honestly, I'm looking forward to coming to these nights and walking instead of running for at least 2 weeks!

May 25: 2.00 miles • 19:47 • 9:53 avg pace

This was the last week of track, but I skipped since sprinting a mile right before my marathon is maybe not the best idea. Instead, I did a really fast two miles after work in Boston. The pace was by accident.

The next run on my agenda is 2 miles tomorrow (Saturday) before the race on Sunday. Here's the tentative plan for the day...

Wake up and run 2 miles. Shower. Get ready to leave. Leave by noon. Arrive by 3. Expo. Bib. Dinner. Sleep.

Here's the weather forecast for Sunday in Vermont:

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.31.24 AM.png

Right now it looks like it'll be warmer than I want, but at least the humidity is low. I can work with that. The plan already includes a significant slow down from what my pace has been during training as I'll be going out with the 5:30 pace group to start. Then I'll assess how they're doing and how I'm doing and if halfway through I feel like I can head out without them, I'll do that.

I'm feeling very confident, even with the temperature, that I'm going to hit some goals this weekend.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter