I think I'm going to stop posting for awhile

Hey, I've been around here for a while, and I know very well that there are some DIS'ers who love to be judgemental, etc... Like middle-school mean-girls on facebook or something.
While there are those here who vehemently disagree with me on a few viewpoints, I am NOT one of those.
At first, since I am not that familiiar with you or what is going on, I was going to offer some understanding.
I looked to see if any of those types of posters were really targeting you.
I do not think that is what I am seeing.

After taking a look at what is going on, I have to say that what I am seeing in your comments do not match up with the 'innocent, positive, unassuming, type who avoids conflict' that you seem to describe.

I simply would not have the time or the inclination, while enjoying a positive and wonderful trip to Disney, or even during my normal day, to engage the way you seem to.

I remember, not so long ago, here on the DIS.... One of the posters who used to try to 'engage' and question and throw daggers came back on one thread and posted that they didn't see any problem with such a 'friendly argument' or 'friendly debate'. I thought, how very very wrong... Everything does not have to be an argument or debate or one-upmanship, etc... Not every conversation... especially a 'friendly' conversation, is something that one must win and/or be proud of winning. Only a certain type of person, or personality type, makes the choice to see it that way.

What one might choose to see, in a very shortsighted myopic way, as 'friendly', is nothing other but negative and unwarranted argument and debate to most other people. And, you know, that is not positive, innocent, or avoiding conflict. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Yet Another Grand Exit

And The Rule is to always quote the original post, so that if it's modified/deleted by the original poster we can all still read it.
I have a friend who does the same thing on facebook. She gets upset about an ad, or someone's post, or something and she makes this big announcement about how she's deleting her account. And she's gone for a couple of days, then comes back with "It's the only way I can keep in contact with my family." So I told her, you're 70 years old. How did you keep in contact before facebook? She recently joined Twitter. No telling how that will go.

In my opinion, the Community Board is not unlike high school. Sometimes you will get love and support from your peers, other times you will get disapproval and ridicule.

Like when I talked about my mom's shortcomings, you'd think she was Dolores Umbridge, considering some of the responses I got. And I am apparently a sniveling weenie for putting up with it. But when I mentioned that I was sick, my thread was flooded with earnest messages of concern.

Like life, it's a mixed bag.

Mmm... I don't know that Theme Parks Community would be any more receptive to a post about "upstaging" a cast member with the OP's "vast" trivial knowledge, followed by speculation that the cast member went home feeling "down in the dumps" as a result.

Without massive rewriting and a very different spin on the incident, there's just nowhere on the DisBoards that post was going to be welcomed. People here tend to be pretty fond of cast members (and some are even cast members themselves).
I haven't read that thread, but I'm sure the OP would have gotten friendlier responses there on his "You Know You're Obsessed with Disney" (or something like that) thread. Not to mention out of all the forums, CB can be the least friendly.

I haven't read that thread, but I'm sure the OP would have gotten friendlier responses there on his "You Know You're Obsessed with Disney" (or something like that) thread. Not to mention out of all the forums, CB can be the least friendly.

Welp, if he'd titled it that, he might have got a friendlier response here, too. ;)

He called his thread, "Upstaging a Cast Member" and you can read what he wrote here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/upstaging-a-cast-member.3583635/

I do agree that this is the most contentious of the boards, but I've seen all of them get very snarky, at one time or another.

Hey, I really don't want to derail this thread.... But, Rasta... methinks it was the situation that you were posting about in each case, which got the indicated responses. Not any strange and variable 'prevailing' winds on the DIS at the time.

Yes, I just mentioned high school mean girls. And there are some of those here, and everywhere. When are around long enough, you get a feel for who is who... But, I would really characterize the DIS as high-school. Many good and well intentioned posters here!!!

In the OP's defense, he didn't say he was giving up on Dis, just that he was going back to lurking.

OP, since you're still reading, think about how bad you're feeling right now. Now compare that to how bad you think (I highly doubt) you made a CM feel. The fact that incident was 16 years ago? Felt like a brag post to me. I'll tell you what, I'll admit you know more Disney trivia than I do. Does that make you feel better?

True. I overlooked that part. My apologies.

Welp, if he'd titled it that, he might have got a friendlier response here, too. ;)

He called his thread, "Upstaging a Cast Member" and you can read what he wrote here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/upstaging-a-cast-member.3583635/

I do agree that this is the most contentious of the boards, but I've seen all of them get very snarky, at one time or another.
I think we're talking about two different threads. I haven't read the "upstaging" thread, because I knew I wouldn't find it entertaining. I agree the other boards can have rude, snarky, etc. posts, but they get shot down more quickly & there's not as much piling on as there is on this board.

I think we're talking about two different threads. I haven't read the "upstaging" thread, because I knew I wouldn't find it entertaining. I agree the other boards can have rude, snarky, etc. posts, but they get shot down more quickly & there's not as much piling on as there is on this board.

Far as I know, he posted the "upstaging" story, got upset at the reception he got in that thread, and then subsequently started this thread to complain about it.

I'm not sure there are any other relevant threads?

Far as I know, he posted the "upstaging" story, got upset at the reception he got in that thread, and then subsequently started this thread to complain about it.

I'm not sure there are any other relevant threads?
You're right about this particular incident. I've just thought most of his posts here would have fit in better on the TPCB. He appears to want to discuss all things Disney not just random stuff. I just never thought to suggest he try there until this thread.

You're right about this particular incident. I've just thought most of his posts here would have fit in better on the TPCB. He appears to want to discuss all things Disney not just random stuff. I just never thought to suggest he try there until this thread.

Very true, and good point! :)

I think I see the issue, and it's kind of a shame. It's a discussion board. You put the topic out there without parameters instructing everyone how to respond. If you don't give people guidance you might wind up like the box of chocolates with all the nasty fruit centers inside.

I think I see the issue, and it's kind of a shame. It's a discussion board. You put the topic out there without parameters instructing everyone how to respond. If you don't give people guidance you might wind up like the box of chocolates with all the nasty fruit centers inside.

Bite your tongue!

Fruit centered chocolates are the BEST chocolates! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter