I need help sorting out my options

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
first as many have done banked our points from last year--we like to go the end of JAn into beginning of feb
so we now have 82 banked points--our use year is Aug where our 100 point contract comes in

Im trying to figure out our home is the poly which for 5 nights is 85 points--no problem I could just borrow the 3 points
but my plan is at 7 months which is coming up to change and stay for lack of a better word "cheaper" like OKW or SSR which weve stayed before and liked it

so if we change to say okw then IDd only have to borrow 6 points for a weeks stay
so my question here is should I booked the poly 5 nights and borrow 3 for the stay and then wait to change to one of the other resorts needing to borrow a couple more points--or is better (less of a hassle) just to wait and see whats left by the 7 month

also were thinking of just doing a resort stay since some things are still closed still you dont know whats going on by the end of jan
but if we feel like doing a park--how likely are the chances of getting in when we would just buy tickets when we get there
has there been any updates and when you dont have to make a resveration just to go to a park--we havent gone since just before covid hit so this is all new espeically making ressies

so if anyone has any tips or advice which would be my best option and how this would all work--please let me know

thanks take care

Will you need to borrow a few points regardless because the week long stay at OKW or SSR will need them? Then holding the Poly reservation doesn’t risk anything because you’ll be using those borrowed 3 points no matter which resort you ultimately choose.

This week has had a ton of news regarding operations changing back to normal. It’s a good bet that 95%+ will be operating normally by the time you visit early 2022. You’ll probably want tickets. There’s time to decide though, last week of January shouldn’t be very high demand so as long as you keep an eye on it starting 2 or3 months out you should be ok.

thanks for the reply
you mentioned watching things 2 to 3 months out
is there a way I can see how the parks resverations are going
or do I need tickets before I can even check if there are any openings at a park

thanks for the reply
you mentioned watching things 2 to 3 months out
is there a way I can see how the parks resverations are going
or do I need tickets before I can even check if there are any openings at a park
This link shows availability, even without a ticket
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/a...kets,resort,passholder&defaultSegment=tickets
Keep in mind that the page where you actually make a park reservation sometimes shows a little more availability than the calendar.

Definitely book what you need now and when 7 months opens, modify your current reservation online to pick up SSR or OKW if it is available. If so, the system will just tell you you need more points and then you choose to borrow the additional ones you need. Honestly, its the same process whether you borrow 3 or more when booking. It is not any more of a hassle.

so we now have 82 banked points--our use year is Aug where our 100 point contract comes in

Perhaps I’m reading this all wrong, but if you banked 82 points from your 2020 Aug UY to your 2021 UY you should have a total of 182 points available to use for a January 2022 trip?🤔 No borrowing would be necessary if this is the case, although whatever is left of those 82 points (if you book cheaper OKW/SSR) will expire July 31, 2022 if you don’t have another trip planned. Sorry if I read wrong, but that is what stood out to me!🧐

actually lilyc thanks for pointing this out--I still get confused with UY--since I book our trip for the end of jan for the next year at the end of Feb our 11 month window so since our use year starts in aug of that same year I have a mindset that Im actually borrowing points

anyways how you explained it makes things better for us but it opened up a few more questions

so if I book a week at the end of Jan 2022 for 133 points so that would take care of my banked points and use 51 points of my UY aug 2021 so can I banked the extra 51 points into aug UY 2022 to use for Jan 2023 trip
is this correct

then say Id like to switch to a lesser resort say SSR at 106 points for the same time week now I had already used 133 but only need 106 so what happens to the extra 27 points can I banked them into aug 2022
we only bought into the DVC a few years ago

or since as of right now theres still a good selection of rooms open and the 7 month window opens for us on wed should I just wait and book at the 7 month and not have to worry about where points are going
again sorry for all the questions
hope this makes some sense

actually lilyc thanks for pointing this out--I still get confused with UY--since I book our trip for the end of jan for the next year at the end of Feb our 11 month window so since our use year starts in aug of that same year I have a mindset that Im actually borrowing points

anyways how you explained it makes things better for us but it opened up a few more questions

so if I book a week at the end of Jan 2022 for 133 points so that would take care of my banked points and use 51 points of my UY aug 2021 so can I banked the extra 51 points into aug UY 2022 to use for Jan 2023 trip
is this correct

then say Id like to switch to a lesser resort say SSR at 106 points for the same time week now I had already used 133 but only need 106 so what happens to the extra 27 points can I banked them into aug 2022

or since as of right now theres still a good selection of rooms open and the 7 month window opens for us on wed should I just wait and book at the 7 month and not have to worry about where points are going

Yes, if you book with the 133 pts you can bank the remaining 51 2021 UY points into your 2022 UY and use them in your Jan 2023 trip

And if you change that 133 point reservation so you only need 106 it will free up 27 more of your current 2021 UY points that you could bank into your 2022 UY to use on a Jan 2023 trip.

FYI - banking can be done in multiple transactions and you have until the end of March 2022 to bank any 2021 points so there's no rush. You could even wait until after your trip just in case you found some reason to use a few more of them in January.

is this correct

Oh good, glad it helped clear some things up! All my WDW contracts are August UY, and those later month use years can definitely be confusing!

@KAT4DISNEY gave you great info on the point usage! I would personally go ahead and book before the 7 month window just in case. Everything seems unpredictable due to covid leaving many owners with a crazy amount of points to use. You can easily modify your reservation when your 7 month window opens depending on availability!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter