I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Doubletree at the Universal gates was really nice, and points redemptions when we went were a great value. You could always do points for the stay and then purchase the passes for you and your son if you don't want to pay Universal hotel prices. The walk from the hotel would be very easy for just the two of you.

I obviously really like that Doubletree as well - it was my first review post on the hotel review thread. :)

Now that we have APs for the next 18 months might have to explore offsite options. We’ve been spoiled staying at PBH for $75 a night using the employee rate but my nephew said they are cracking down so he can’t do that any longer :(

are you trying to use it for the cat you bought or slyly upgrade it?

It was hard enough getting him to call at all. Lol. I even asked him to ask what happens if we need to cancel it and he didn’t want to ask any questions. I was looking for a Residence Inn because if we are staying a week somewhere, I want a little more space. So we are going to Boulder, Co. I wanted something that sleeps 5 in case we all go. Though I am really hoping my girls have some kind of summer job or internship. And my DS is applying for an internship also, so it might be only DH and I going. Who knows! We are horrible planners and July is so far away. I have never booked anything that early, not even Disney.

Which airline are you looking at for Australia using MRs? I’ve been accumulating them for our hopefully 2020 trip, if not then 2021. But not clue how to use them. We flew Quantas on first time there.

@tink1970 I was just going to ask the same question. We flew ANZ when I went years ago and I hear that finding free seats with them is pretty much impossible.

Today I was playing around with Amex Travel and for dates in 2019 (we're actually back to planning on 2020 but I'm just trying to get an idea) it's looking like ANZ and United. Of course, that could change by June, which is when I'll be looking for our trip in 2020. LAX-MEL and then home AKL-SFO was around 427,--- ish points. I don't love United but they (currently) cost 427K MRs/$4200 (v Virgin Australia $17K or 1.7 million MRs) so whatever is most reasonable schedule/price-wise will be the winner. I'm sure some of the pricing is dependent on availability, which is why (in my head) I'm shooting for 5-600,000 MRs before I book. With Amex Travel, much like Chase's travel portal, you can use all cash, cash AND MRs or all MRs. My goal is to have the MRs for definitely one ticket and ideally one ticket plus part of another since DH wants to come along:)

I assume everyone who's doing AA gift cards to sell are doing virtual cards? Not plastic ones?
Haven’t done it yet but I’ve sold a few gcs recently. I liked cardcash deposits directly into your account or PayPal. Cardpool is good too but they send you a check- it came quickly
assuming ur wally/grocery store allows u to swap them for MOs though...
My stop and shop is super easy with MOs - for now!!
I finally stopped to use one of my VGCs at Best Buy for a Disney GC with swagbucks. Are you guys proud of me? :rotfl:
Awesome! Smooth sailing I assume??

Today I was playing around with Amex Travel and for dates in 2019 (we're actually back to planning on 2020 but I'm just trying to get an idea) it's looking like ANZ and United. Of course, that could change by June, which is when I'll be looking for our trip in 2020. LAX-MEL and then home AKL-SFO was around 427,--- ish points. I don't love United but they (currently) cost 427K MRs/$4200 (v Virgin Australia $17K or 1.7 million MRs) so whatever is most reasonable schedule/price-wise will be the winner. I'm sure some of the pricing is dependent on availability, which is why (in my head) I'm shooting for 5-600,000 MRs before I book. With Amex Travel, much like Chase's travel portal, you can use all cash, cash AND MRs or all MRs. My goal is to have the MRs for definitely one ticket and ideally one ticket plus part of another since DH wants to come along:)
Ah, I was hoping there was a good way to transfer them to an airline and purchase rather through AmEx Travel. We’ll probably fly in and out of SYD and LAX. This time we will add a stopover in LA from BWI. It was crazy exhausting last time when we had to grab our bags from SW and re-check immediately at Quantas. It will be DH, DS11 and me going so I need 3 tickets.

Ok finally caught up!

@calypso726 thanks for all the pics and movies!

@SouthFayetteFan Id watch the show in mk on wed. Play it by ear on Thursday to leave early or not. Our kids love getting their badges. Doing fop while rol would be our preference. Then Friday watch from your room. We tend to open and close the parks and just sleep and shower in the room. I’m sure you will have a ton of fun no matter which day you stay in and watch from the room.

P2 has all 4, I think all of his 4 earn the 35k night?!? Which card is the 25k night?
I’ve been trying to book Hawaii for next Christmas but for some reason they haven’t opened up past Dec 14th. If I can get those 4 nights booked I’m keeping all 4, the $400 in fees are worth the 4 night in Hawaii.

The card with the 25k night is the plain old Premier card ($85 AF). The new Premier Plus, Biz Premier Plus, SPG, and SPG Biz with the $95+ AF have 35k nights. SPG Lux and RC cards with the high AFs get 50k nights.

Looking at it now :) We’ve been spoiled staying at all-inclusives when we go to the Caribbean so it’s hard to think about going there and having to pay for food and drink. I am pretty sure DH would question my sanity paying $24 for an adult beverage of which I would want several during our stay.
I do enjoy an all inclusive but I often find myself really sick of the food by the end. In Aruba it’s so safe to walk anywhere and there are tons of great food options I would never recommend an all inclusive there. There are 2 parts - high rise and low rise. We stayed in high rise which is most of the big hotels - Hilton, Hyatt, marriott, occidental. You can easily find somewhere with buy one get one drinks and affordable dining options. It’s a great spot!!

For those of you doing the bank bonus. I know with chase if you wait to close after 8 months you will make your banker happy. Apparently if you close before 8 months they have to pay back any commission. Not sure how other banks are but I know my SIL can tell a bonus customer or not. So if you can keep it open for 8 months it would make them happy. They can’t tell you this info when you go in or call. She said there are so many they close at 7 months and then they have to pay back those commissions. Just thought I’d share here and if you are doing chase best to keep it open 8 months to not get flagged.

I assume everyone who's doing AA gift cards to sell are doing virtual cards? Not plastic ones?

the only reason u go plastic is when they are sold though a 3rd party... ie Kroger, sak fifth, Container store, best buy.
AA works with virtual card although they require 3 days before they are activated. check rates, u can get higher rates.

But I heard you guys were on strike?

I... had been drinking a little when I first saw this earlier today, and I had some choice words.

On the upside, the Newseum is offering free admission to anyone with a Fed badge because of the furlough, so I also did that today. That was nice.

All this talk about AA, might look into a Citi AA Biz for DW. She's depleted most of her flight points stashes due to our travels this year, so I'm following these discussions with interest. I can comment on the virtual AA GC option - I always sell ours from the Amex travel credits on Cardpool. I opt for a direct sale instead of a listing and usually get 75-80% value as a check a couple weeks later. Very easy and reliable.

DP:

Approved for SPG Biz on 10/31/17;
Second year $95 AF posted and statement closed on 11/15/18;
35k FN cert posted 1/3/19.

Amex gives 30 days from the closing date of the statement on which the AF posts to close a card for a full refund of the AF.

Not that I was planning to close my SPG Biz anyway, but my 35k FN cert took 49 days from AF to deposit into my SPG account. Amex really is making it impossible to get the FN cert if you cancel your SPG card.

Debating on whether I want to keep the SPG Biz or the Lux. Not sure I want to keep both, but I could potentially. This would also box me out of another Amex credit card since I’m at 5 already unless I can be the unicorn and get magically approved for a 6, which would be the BBP. Was going to cancel the SPG Biz to get down on AFs (the irony is, as I was debating applying for the Schwab card today LOL).

I’ll definitely be canceling my Marriott Biz in Feb, but curious what you (and others who have both the SPG Biz and Lux as well) are considering.

Went online with Chase just to double check there were no glaring issues with my accounts to prevent me from being approved. (So okay, the ridiculous CSR CL may need to be slashed, but being a woman I have had my share of prejudice from credit card issuers in the past. Certainly not in the last 10-20 years, but things like that stick with you. Anyway, I digress...)

I found a $1 charge from "Grace Gospel Church" with a phone # from Brevard Co, FL. on my CSR. I have certainly spent plenty of time in that area, but have never gone to ANY church there. Must be a fraudulent charge. Now I need to call Chase. Any thoughts how this will affect my just apped SW BIZ?

We have a trip late March on SW. I wasn't planning on having the CP in time for this. It would be nice but if I have to wait 30 or 60 days to reapply it won't be the end of the world.

I wouldn’t think it would affect your application for the SW card...but ugh what a pain on the fraud charge
I never had issues with credit card prejudice...but years ago looking for a car omy own without DH because he hated car shopping ....oh boy that was fun

What do you tell them your "business" is then? I'm asking because I'm still a scaredy-cat when it comes to applying for a Biz card.

Whatever is closest to selling on EBay as a description in the selection offered for type of businesses.

AmEx experts, can you all talk about how you use your MR points? I have a fairly decent supply and I'm trying to decide whether I might want to go the Schwab cash-out route or whether there are good travel uses that I don't know about. Are there good travel partners to transfer to? Is booking travel direct through AmEx ever a good deal? Back when I first got my Biz Plat I took advantage of the 50% MR points back on flights but that's now 35% and only on the selected airline (or first-class, which is really not on my radar--I usually have too many people to buy tickets for). What am I missing?

I’ve utilized MR transfer bonuses to BA when it was at 40% and at 50% and more recently to Virgin Atlantic for a 30% bonus. I currently hold a business Platinum Amex and am able to redeem points to pay for travel and get 35% of my points back. This gives me a 1.54 cpp value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!