I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lain I tried a small mortgage payment with my CIP and it did code 3x again. If my Barclay card isn't here soon, I'll pay my mortgage again using the CIP and hope the full payment will code 3x :)

You can have up to 8 Amex cards as long as 4 are credit cards and 4 are charge cards. I have 6. My Amex credit cards are SPG biz, Delta Plat biz, Delta Plat, Amex Everyday. My Amex charge cards are the Amex Platinum and the Amex Business Platinum.?

Ok I guess AA might not seem like it's going to do you much good LOL But, other Oneworld partners might. I've never flown Alaska Airlines. I will be picking up one of their credit cards or two. They have good partners and I'm sure the points will come in handy down the line. You never know.

Ok, I understand...Really wasn't sure of the difference between a charge and credit card...but duh, I get it now :)

I know you have mentioned you fly AA a lot. Are there other uses for Delta points if you never really fly Delta? I'd like to look at Hawaii for my family in a couple of years and Tahiti for just dh & I in 3 years. Should I consider some of these airline cards even though they don't seem useful currently? That is one reason I want the IHG card.

dont forget to tweet 360ft to @NFL @Marriottrewards + using tag #RewardsPoints #MembersGetIt for 1000 marriott points.

from someone who knows nothing about twitter, can you tell me exactly what I need to type in my twitter account. So sorry my lack on knowledge lol! I am getting the daily 50 points from the great instructions listed here!

from someone who knows nothing about twitter, can you tell me exactly what I need to type in my twitter account. So sorry my lack on knowledge lol! I am getting the daily 50 points from the great instructions listed here!

FYI the 1000 points tweet ended earlier today.

You need to reply to @marriottrewards and @NFL with the message 360ft + #membersgetit #RewardsPoints
so mine was just "@marriottrewards @nfl 360ft #membersgetit #RewardsPoints" without the quote... i guess @Lain said its over... :( Next time! ill be more clearer!

You need to reply to @marriottrewards and @NFL with the message 360ft + #membersgetit #RewardsPoints
so mine was just "@marriottrewards @nfl 360ft #membersgetit #RewardsPoints" without the quote... i guess @Lain said its over... :( Next time! ill be more clearer!

I also am completely twitter naive. I think it took me about 30 min going back and forth between the VERY good instructions To get my account set up. I thought I had done the tweet until someone posted their points showed up right away. I had to go back and try again. I got my points but am not entirely sure what I did Instructions would be very much appreciated.

Another twitter naive person. I just don't get it lol. I am pretty sure I will get no points from this deal. I *could* ask my teens to help me but I'm trying to get them off their phones so I'll just accept no points.

I also am completely twitter naive. I think it took me about 30 min going back and forth between the VERY good instructions To get my account set up. I thought I had done the tweet until someone posted their points showed up right away. I had to go back and try again. I got my points but am not entirely sure what I did Instructions would be very much appreciated.

yes, they come instantly. Do u get the 50 points daily now? If you need help, ill create a visual aid.

Another twitter naive person. I just don't get it lol. I am pretty sure I will get no points from this deal. I *could* ask my teens to help me but I'm trying to get them off their phones so I'll just accept no points.

Couple questions...As far as the IHG Reward points once the spending requirement is satisfied should they show up on your Chase account? Just like the CF and CFU...

Also as far as removing an AU from the account is it better to wait some time after the points have been awarded...

TIA

Ok, I understand...Really wasn't sure of the difference between a charge and credit card...but duh, I get it now :)

I know you have mentioned you fly AA a lot. Are there other uses for Delta points if you never really fly Delta? I'd like to look at Hawaii for my family in a couple of years and Tahiti for just dh & I in 3 years. Should I consider some of these airline cards even though they don't seem useful currently? That is one reason I want the IHG card.

A charge card is one that the balance must be paid in full every month. A credit card allows you to roll your balance after a minimum payment. Despite the difference, a good travel hacker treats all credit cards like a charge card or debit card to avoid ever paying interest or spending money they don't have.

I do fly AA/One World a lot because Miami is an AA hub. The majority of my choices for flights are AA and their partners. I had cards from all the legacy carriers pre AA/US Air merger except Delta. I did not get any Delta cards until last year when they offered a historically high bonus of 70k on 2 of their cards. Prior to that I'd always see 35k offers which aren't worth the hassle to me. Delta miles don't expire which is good. Unfortunately, you cannot use the miles to book in first on partners only on their metal. They don't publish their award chart either. Given the choice between chasing variable points like UR, MR, TY and Delta Sky Pesos I'd stick with the variable points. Once in a while though you will find some use for them which is why I picked them up. Unless you are stuck in a Delta hub, I wouldn't bother. As a backup plan for a specific award you are planning or to diversify the miles/points portfolio when they have another great sign up bonus, sure why not.

Yes, airline cards are crucial to the flights and are useful currency when planning something specific. DH and I blow through several hundred thousand AA miles on trips every year. We use AA miles way more than we use UR, MR or TY points. That said, I don't put spend on the AA card. My suggestion for Hawaii would be to determine what your best flight options are going to be from your home airport to start planning what airline card you may want to use. If you recall our Hawaii trip wound up as a combination of miles and paying with airline gift cards to get DH and I there and back. Granted we were looking for lie flat seats so my choices were more limited. None the less, I started with searching MIA - HNL on Google flights and Momondo. Sure enough the majority of the flights were AA so I knew that I would likely be using AA miles. Once you know what airline you are probably going to fly then join that airline's frequent flyer program and check to see how many miles it will take to get your flights. Do a mock booking search for as far out as possible and see what pops up. That should give you a good idea.

Just on a pension. debt which so much families have in Australia is not something I want or need

Plenty of families in America also have debt and I can't imagine that anyone wants, much less needs debt. That is not what this thread is about. Those who are able to pay their balances in full each month and won't spend money that they don't have are the people who can effectively play this game. I have to put gas in my car, I have to pay my utilities, I have to eat and every month I am going to spend money on something whether that something is a want or a necessity. If I have to spend it anyhow, then I sure am not going to use cash or a debit card because I will get nothing in return. I will fill up my tank and pay with a credit card that gives me bonus points for using it at a gas station. Then, I will pay that balance in full. If I buy groceries, I will pay for them using a credit cards that gives me bonus points for using it at a grocery store and pay my balance in full. When I pay for my cell phone bill, I pay using a credit card that gives me bonus points for using it on cell phone bills and pay my balance in full. All of these bonus points add up and then I have points to use as cash back if I choose (which I don't) or points to transfer to airlines and hotels or pay for travel related purchases.

Some of us will get extra money we didn't have throughout the year and put it towards savings or a special treat with this hobby. Some of us are able to minimize their travel expenses and take a nicer vacation that doesn't hit the budget as hard. Some of us are able to travel in a manner we would never be able to afford or wouldn't choose to pay to do with the points and miles. I didn't want you to be under the impression that everyone here is going into debt or that this was a thread advocating something like that.

Last edited:
Couple questions...As far as the IHG Reward points once the spending requirement is satisfied should they show up on your Chase account? Just like the CF and CFU...

Also as far as removing an AU from the account is it better to wait some time after the points have been awarded...

TIA

No the IHG points will show up on your IHG account. Only UR points will be on your Chase accounts. Co-branded card points show up on that barnd's reward program.

Don't know for certain about the latter but it would seem reasonable to me to wait. Hope that helps.

I have the BCP and have my eye on the SPG card. What Amex cards would you recommend?

Sorry saw this late. Many have given you great recommendations. I will add a plug for the PRG (Premier Rewards Gold). Great bonus categories, including 2xMR on groceries and gas, 3x on airfare. $195 annual fee, but you get a $100 airfare credit - works the same way as the Amex Plat.

I copy and pasted what @Jen and Ashwin had on her post into the IFTTT box as instructed and got my first set of points this morning after setting it up last night. You shouldn't need to do anything different on a daily basis, but the weekly ones I guess will require you (or someone here) to figure out what exactly to post and hashtag. I'm also totally Twitter illiterate, but I followed Jen's instructions to a tee and they worked! I also linked my facebook and instagram for additional points. I've earned over 1000 points just doing all that, but unfortunately was a mere ten minutes late on doing the NFL tweet.

I got the points for that but when I set up the retweet thing that @Jen and Ashwin educated us about, I got an email from Twitter saying I violated its code

ETA. I figured out my error & fixed. Now tweeting appropriately. Got 100 points already plus the aforementioned 1000. Yay!

So what was the error? I haven't gotten anything from Twitter saying the I violated its code.

yes, they come instantly. Do u get the 50 points daily now? If you need help, ill create a visual aid.

Yes, thank you. I get the daily points, it just took me a while to set it up. I also got the extra points yesterday after the second try. I am just not quite sure what I did differently the second time.

I copy and pasted what @Jen and Ashwin had on her post into the IFTTT box as instructed and got my first set of points this morning after setting it up last night. You shouldn't need to do anything different on a daily basis, but the weekly ones I guess will require you (or someone here) to figure out what exactly to post and hashtag. I'm also totally Twitter illiterate, but I followed Jen's instructions to a tee and they worked! I also linked my facebook and instagram for additional points. I've earned over 1000 points just doing all that, but unfortunately was a mere ten minutes late on doing the NFL tweet.

I think I finally got it figured out also. I had followed the directions from @Jen and Ashwin but got messed up somehow. Now it seems to be working. How does everyone figure out what to tweet?

I've never flown Alaska Airlines. I will be picking up one of their credit cards or two. They have good partners and I'm sure the points will come in handy down the line. You never know.
I wasn't focused at all on Alaska Airlines because I'm on the east coast, but I received 10,000 miles from them for free after the Virgin America buyout simply because I had signed up for both frequent flier programs at one point. We have preliminary plans to do a west coast vacation that will include going from either LA or SF to Seattle or Portland, so Alaska will be beneficial for us down the line. I haven't gone for any credit cards yet (I'll wait until we have a clear plan for that trip), but whenever they have a points promo going on I complete the requirements to add points to the account in drips and drabs. I just got 3K this month, 1K each for placing an order through their shopping portal, completing a survey, and eating at a restaurant in their dining plan--which also got me an additional 400 miles for the initial dining rewards signup. Included in their restaurant list is a natural food store we shop at that has a hot food buffet, and any purchase made in the store counts for the dining credit. So we picked up a few groceries and got the 1,400 miles. With little effort we have enough in our account for 2 one-way flights from CA to WA/OR.

I've been paying attention to Alaska since they bought Virgin America. They seem to be positioning themselves to be a bigger player. I have a friend in Seattle who is a frequent world traveler and he absolutely loves them.

Last edited:
New BoA premium card is live! I can't meet the spend yet but will prob apply next month when I can. $95 AF (not waived), $100 airline incidentals credit (calendar year), Pre-check or Global entry credit once every 4 years (gosh I wish we could renew those years in advance!), 50,000 point sign up bonus with $3K spend worth $500 in cash to BoA related accounts or statement credit. More info from DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank...e-50000-point-bonus-100-annual-travel-credit/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter