I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same. This game allows us to travel more. Sometimes free and sometimes for less. Most of the time it allows for travel experiences wouldn’t choose to spend real money to experience.

I will say for you or anyone else considering Antarctica that you really look into whether or not you want to experience the Drake Passage. I did want that experience and fully knew what I was getting into. There are fly and cruise operators for those who are more limited in time or get really bad motion sickness. To be honest I am stunned that I’m not really sea sick. I’m only slightly nauseous. We are experiencing a moderate crossing of the Drake. The idea that this could get and often is much worse is truly daunting. I am currently laying in bed because it is less challenging than attempting to remain upright. Staying in the bed and not rolling off is somewhat easier to manage. Just avoid the edges. I can’t imagine doing this crossing on a ship that doesn’t have wicked awesome stabilizers.

View from my window

View attachment 373447

View attachment 373448

View attachment 373449

Oh Wow...as much has I’d love to...there’s no way I’d be able to experience it, since I can’t ride in a train backwards..

No referrals, just apply at the same time.

And good luck! BoA is really tough these days. Helps a lot if you have an already established bank account (for a bonus, perhaps).
Well I guess we will try it and see what happens. Sounds like boa and capital one are both harder to get.

Oh Wow...as much has I’d love to...there’s no way I’d be able to experience it, since I can’t ride in a train backwards..

If you are good with flying then you would be fine. There are fly and cruise options from tour operators that totally bypass the Drake Passage. Now that I have experienced it and can cross it off my list, I don’t need to do it again. If I were to ever come back to Antarctica, which I’d love to do, I would look for a fly and cruise option. Don’t get me wrong, I could totally do it this way again. I’d just rather save the 4 days travel time. Although it is a great way to catch up on sleep! I honestly hope that ABD does offer Antarctica with a fly/cruise itinerary someday.

If you are good with flying then you would be fine. There are fly and cruise options from tour operators that totally bypass the Drake Passage. Now that I have experienced it and can cross it off my list, I don’t need to do it again. If I were to ever come back to Antarctica, which I’d love to do, I would look for a fly and cruise option. Don’t get me wrong, I could totally do it this way again. I’d just rather save the 4 days travel time. Although it is a great way to catch up on sleep! I honestly hope that ABD does offer Antarctica with a fly/cruise itinerary someday.
I’ll need to investigate the fly-cruise options because there is no way my scared-of-deep-water self could deal with that!

Your memory is good! It was $2000 (ish) for 6 hours and up to 10 people. We had 8 making it about $250 a person. Sadly, I think it has gone up quite a bit since then. Also note that they charge higher for certain times of the year, which seemed to be most of the year :( It was super fun though and a great way to do the parks on busy days. But definitely pricey.
Dang! Ok for 3 people, not including Park tix, that may be too much.

I will say for you or anyone else considering Antarctica that you really look into whether or not you want to experience the Drake Passage. I did want that experience and fully knew what I was getting into. There are fly and cruise operators for those who are more limited in time or get really bad motion sickness. To be honest I am stunned that I’m not really sea sick. I’m only slightly nauseous. We are experiencing a moderate crossing of the Drake. The idea that this could get and often is much worse is truly daunting. I am currently laying in bed because it is less challenging than attempting to remain upright. Staying in the bed and not rolling off is somewhat easier to manage. Just avoid the edges. I can’t imagine doing this crossing on a ship that doesn’t have wicked awesome stabilizers.

Sometimes the Uber drivers in DC make me seriously motion sick. Should I avoid this?

Seriously, these pictures are incredible. I'm envious of your experiences!

It’s an average of 2 days each way. I have a tendency to get motion sickness even in calm seas on larger ships. I am managing fine with Bonine, laying down and distractions. We did bring some Stugeron just in case it got bad and I have not used it. DH hasn’t used anything. Surprisingly most people seem to be doing ok. There were only a few people missing at dinner tonight and most were at the cocktail hour and daily recap.

OMG on those waves. :eek: I get car sick unless I'm driving (and even if I'm driving if it's a winding road). I need to use a patch just to sail DCL. No way could I handle this. I'm amazed so many people are doing so well - maybe people like me self-select out of this route. :blush: I take it your ship has good stabilizers? I know it's much smaller than a typical cruise ship - how do you like it? And thanks for all the pics! And the video links - I watched them all!

is this a good offer for a first Delta card? or better to wait? I have a mailer with this, so better sure I am targeted. I might see if I can do it on a business card. I am not a Delta hostage but there is a specific flight to Spokane for when I rebook my Glacier trip that I would love to use points for.

:offtopic:I have to ask what there is to see/do around Spokane since we may have to take a trip up there to see DH's family. I've been a few times but we didn't tour around. I'd love to combine all these family visits with a little bit of travel and exploration. Any ideas would be appreciated!

This was me as well. Assume you also had the good ole' Citi Forward (and formerly college version...Uverse, was it??)? :D

Think I recall reading from DOC that the forced PC did count, but will need to go back and reread to confirm.
Yes, that is exactly what happened! It was my second card ever. I felt weird cancelling it since it was one of my oldest lines of credit so it sits there with about a small recurring charge.

It happened just about a year ago now so I guess if confirmed by DOC we are locked out from any Citi TY bonus until 2020.

I guess that is ok as it will save a personal slot. I was tempted to PC it to a double cash card, but now I fear it would reset the 24-month clock.

The Chase offers make me laugh! The waiting period seems arbitrary. I used both the CSR and CSP on the same transaction at Staples on 12/27. I got the offer e-mail for the CSR on 1/3 and CSP on 1/4. The CSR credit posted 1/4 so I guess I will see the CSP credit tomorrow.

I am happy I was able to return to the same Staples tonight and use up the 30% offers like I originally wanted. I got another super friendly cashier who did not question me at all when I asked to split the payment. There were a bunch of Disney gift cards last week and only 4 left tonight. I guess there are others with the same idea where I live.

Yes, that is exactly what happened! It was my second card ever. I felt weird cancelling it since it was one of my oldest lines of credit so it sits there with about a small recurring charge.

It happened just about a year ago now so I guess if confirmed by DOC we are locked out from any Citi TY bonus until 2020.

I guess that is ok as it will save a personal slot. I was tempted to PC it to a double cash card, but now I fear it would reset the 24-month clock.

Yep, it was my very first credit card right before college. I remember how happy I was when I saw it earning 5x at bookstores and restaurants; talk about catering to the custy!

I also thought about PC’ing, but feared resetting the clock and I just don’t trust Citi’s reps providing the right info. Now that I got the Arrival+ (and the Spark Biz, but slated to close in March), I figure I would just keep the preferred and use whenever a deal comes along (e.g. was 5x TYP at Tech and department stores for a short period back in November I think).

It’s an average of 2 days each way. I have a tendency to get motion sickness even in calm seas on larger ships. I am managing fine with Bonine, laying down and distractions. We did bring some Stugeron just in case it got bad and I have not used it. DH hasn’t used anything. Surprisingly most people seem to be doing ok. There were only a few people missing at dinner tonight and most were at the cocktail hour and daily recap.
If I go while I am working, I'll probably skip that as it would be 4 days of vacation and I'd rather spend that some other way. I am maxed out on vacation at work ~40 days since I've been there 32 years.

A day is adequate.
:thanks:

I have to ask what there is to see/do around Spokane since we may have to take a trip up there to see DH's family. I've been a few times but we didn't tour around. I'd love to combine all these family visits with a little bit of travel and exploration. Any ideas would be appreciated!
I would fly to Spokane and then drive to Glacier. It is a full day's drive. But from Columbus Oh, that was the best place to fly into. There is a smaller airport closer to Glacier but it is just cost too much for me to justify. Plus I like road trips, you see so much more of the country in the car than flying! I did look at Calgary as well since we will combine with Canada NPs but again not a great way to get there from here. I usually don't have issues with getting places from here but some of the places in the west are more difficult. Good news is we have nonstop to Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix.

Yep, it was my very first credit card right before college. I remember how happy I was when I saw it earning 5x at bookstores and restaurants; talk about catering to the custy!

I also thought about PC’ing, but feared resetting the clock and I just don’t trust Citi’s reps providing the right info. Now that I got the Arrival+ (and the Spark Biz, but slated to close in March), I figure I would just keep the preferred and use whenever a deal comes along (e.g. was 5x TYP at Tech and department stores for a short period back in November I think).
I've had so-so info from Citi reps so I understand the apprehension. I will probably stick to the same plan.

I looked for the welcome e-mail and see there was a promo for a $50 statement credit with a $500 purchase. I guess thats the consolation prize for being restricted from promos for 2 years.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.42.53 PM.png

No worries Citi, there are plenty other cards to apply for!

I helped a fam member pick the Cap1 Saver Card to get an easy cash bonus on over the holidays. They texted me today saying this was going to be harder to meet the minimum spend on than they thought, like nobody took the card. I said “that’s weird. Who the heck doesn’t take MasterCard?!” At this point they apparently flipped the card over and saw the MC logo. What I wouldn’t have given to see their face when they realized the accepted cc list would never include “Capital One”... (Yes, that fam member does have other non Cap1 cards which they manage fine!)

TGIF.

...BUT long story short I guess we are going to rent one of those huge 15 people passenger vans for our trip in 2 weeks since another family his going with us...I want DH to be the main driver...

#TRUTH ...I called to make a “reservation” with my chiropractor today. The secretary was a bit thrown but bless her soul didn’t say anything beyond “uh, what?” “A reservation” I said fully confidently. I realized when I got off the phone... I think travel has been on my brain too much recently :confused3

I’ve not been following along well so idk where you’re headed :( but just want to make sure it’s not CA. CA requires a commercial license for 15 passenger vans. I don’t think any other states do from a quick Google search but please check for yourself if you haven’t :)

BTW... THERE IS NOTHING WRONG CASHING OUT ANY POINTS FOR CASH! You earned those points do whatever makes you happiest!

If it’s been a year since your last Chase card you’d be fine now to apply for your own CIC or CIU..if you want to

It’s been a year in April since I got the CIP and IHG. But right now I have 6 personal Chase cards. I haven’t wanted to push my luck. Other than the sign up bonus I get the benefits with my husband having them.

is this a good offer for a first Delta card? or better to wait? I have a mailer with this, so better sure I am targeted. I might see if I can do it on a business card. I am not a Delta hostage but there is a specific flight to Spokane for when I rebook my Glacier trip that I would love to use points for.

Yes it is a good offer and if you can use the skymiles (and other perks of the card) I would get it. I wouldn’t get a Delta card for any other reason than to use the miles...not these days with Amex and the pop up. Just my opinion. Sorry @SouthFayetteFan and @wendow. :)

#TRUTH ...I called to make a “reservation” with my chiropractor today. The secretary was a bit thrown but bless her soul didn’t say anything beyond “uh, what?” “A reservation” I said fully confidently. I realized when I got off the phone... I think travel has been on my brain too much recently :confused3

I’ve not been following along well so idk where you’re headed :( but just want to make sure it’s not CA. CA requires a commercial license for 15 passenger vans. I don’t think any other states do from a quick Google search but please check for yourself if you haven’t :)

BTW... THERE IS NOTHING WRONG CASHING OUT ANY POINTS FOR CASH! You earned those points do whatever makes you happiest!

The van is for FL. I will double check but I don’t think we need to worry about a CDL. It kind of sucks because my husband hates the Disney bus so bad he has convinced his friend that it is a fate worse than death. They both thought we could just go in a car together but while that sounds good in theory it is for 9 people. Our 5 and their 4. You don’t have a lot of options!

Thanks for the pep talk in using points. Realistically other than for Disney when it worked and some to transfer to Hyatt UR’s aren’t that great for me. Sad but true. So figured cash back was probably worth it rather than them sitting there for some unplanned future trip. The money I could use now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter