I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...the rumors are true. I have returned!! We had a lovely long weekend in Orlando visiting Sea World. Of course taking time off requires me to actually focus at work before leaving and when getting back sooooo I've been a little quiet.

Glad to see nothing major changed on the negative side while I've been away, LOL!

I'd love this, we're a "head to the back" family as well. Plus, I think its so cool when you get to walk up the stairs to the plane - so old school and when it was a big deal to fly. We also never have anything but backpacks that we take on board. I'll wait a few minutes in baggage claim not to have to haul all that stuff around. By reading it, I'm assuming that deplaning everyone would still head out through the front door?

We had the option to board from the back on one of our recent SW flights (pretty sure it was OAK and not SJC, but I've been traveling so much lately that who knows?). Anyway, we also had the option to deplane from the back (I think that was the return to BOI).

Brief DISchurners Update...

- We're now up to 209 members with 9 new members in the last 3 weeks!
- Reminder that some people go by a different name on reddit. If you want to see who's who, check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/comments/98uhu9/member_list/
- Try to upvote your friends from here on r/churning if you see them there! I always click upvote on any DISboards friends (gotta help get that 50 karma right??)

IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER AND WANT TO JOIN...Just send @SouthFayetteFan, @Lain or @Albort a PM and we'll get you all setup. DISchurners has some tips on it that are easier to find than searching our entire thread here. It also is a nice way to support other DISers when applying for new cards!

This made me think to check on my karma, and I see that I ended up with 16 karma from my terrible person post a couple weeks ago, which started out at like -10 :rotfl:
Yeah haha - you just have to assume some intial folks will come along and downvote. Then when the cool kids show up you'll collect the upvotes. Unless you say something really crazy/stupid, you rarely end up with a neg. score :)

I’m full of questions today...can you add your “known traveler number” after booking a flight? I was looking into booking flights for January and I have my interview for Global Entry next week. Should I go ahead and book the flight and add the number after or just wait until I have the number to book the flight? Will I get the number at the interview or shortly after or is there a longer wait?

I’m full of questions today...can you add your “known traveler number” after booking a flight? I was looking into booking flights for January and I have my interview for Global Entry next week. Should I go ahead and book the flight and add the number after or just wait until I have the number to book the flight? Will I get the number at the interview or shortly after or is there a longer wait?

if u are conditional approval, your KTN should be assigned to you already(i think). Yes, u can add it after you booked your flight.

Actually, not all of your spend need be in 2019 to count toward the CP for 2019. As long as you haven't passed your MSR date, any spend you make after your December 2018 statement closes, will count for the needed points to obtain CP in 2019 because they won't credit until your January 2019 statement closes. For example, if your statement close date happens to be December 5, 2018 (or you strategically changed it to around that date like many do), then you would be able to spend from that date forward and have it count toward your 2019 CP since those points (along with your bonus points once you hit the threshold) won't credit until your January 5, 2019 statement closes. That really would give you a good chunk of December purchases to use toward your 2019 CP.
ok..... again @amalone1013 what do you mean start spending now with 50k+60k counting for next year? I know you're not supposed to hit MSR till after Dec statement closes...it's the other detail I can't understand here.... I wasn't planning to start spending till after that Dec date anyway, but isn't it that any spend before that date won't count for 2019?

Long time reader of this thread...first time poster.

Just got my wife approved for SW Biz card and trying to do the opposite and get it credited this year. We had done the personal earlier this year and the 60k will put her above 110 for the year. As long as we hit the spend in the first 30 days the 60k should post before the year end correct? It seems that all of the info I read had the bonus points posting right after the statement where the spend was achieved.

Long time reader of this thread...first time poster.

Just got my wife approved for SW Biz card and trying to do the opposite and get it credited this year. We had done the personal earlier this year and the 60k will put her above 110 for the year. As long as we hit the spend in the first 30 days the 60k should post before the year end correct? It seems that all of the info I read had the bonus points posting right after the statement where the spend was achieved.
You actually need to figure out when your statement will close. If you just got approved...you may only have 1 more statement this year. You'll want to hit the MSR a week or more in advance of the statement closing date. (also note...the Statement Closing Date is NOT your payment Due Date - the best way to figure this info out would be to call the # on the back of your card and ask for BOTH dates then report back here with the answers so we can help determine if the agent answered correctly or not).

FYI - that Hyatt is less than a 5 minute walk from the Doubletree I posted on the "Hotel Reviews" thread so it is definitely walkable to the park. You may enjoy a shuttle, but anytime I can avoid a bus entirely, I'm all over that! (It's less than 1 mile walk to the Valet entrance to City Walk which is how we walked it).
So for 8,000 points a night I can stay in a hotel within walking distance of Universal that also has nice, spacious rooms and free breakfast.

That seems like a heck of a deal. Credit cards are the best!

You actually need to figure out when your statement will close. If you just got approved...you may only have 1 more statement this year. You'll want to hit the MSR a week or more in advance of the statement closing date. (also note...the Statement Closing Date is NOT your payment Due Date - the best way to figure this info out would be to call the # on the back of your card and ask for BOTH dates then report back here with the answers so we can help determine if the agent answered correctly or not).

Will do and report back. Trying to just knock the spend out in the first two weeks.

Will do and report back. Trying to just knock the spend out in the first two weeks.
That would definitely be a good plan! Southwest Credit Card base and bonus points will only post in conjunction with a statement closing so with those dates you should be able to plan accordingly :)

@Lain - help a brother out...

In your opinion, what is the IDEAL date to apply for a Platinum when going for a Triple Dip on the airline credit?

I think after 11/15 should be ok, but you’ll be in the clear after about 11/20.

You have 30 days from the closing date of the billing statement on which the (2nd year) AF posts to cancel your card to get a full refund of the AF.

The 1st year AF is billed at the end of your 1st month's statement. The 2nd year AF is billed at the end of the 13th month's statement. After that, there's no refund. (However, after the 30 days, you can still downgrade for a prorated refund, and then cancel the downgraded card within 30 days to get a full refund of the prorated AF.)

So you'll want your 1st and 13th month's statement to close at earliest a week into December, which would give you 30 days from December 2019 (at least a week into January 2020) to use the third calendar year's airline credits.

The first billing statements on my recent personal Amex cards closed about 24-26 days after approval; my first Biz Plat statement closed 29 days after approval; my first Biz Green statement closed 30 days after approval; but I've had a Hilton Biz statement close as fast as 13 days after approval. ETA: My BGR that was approved today has a statement close date of 20 days after approval. Even at the short end of first statement closing, that’ll put you into December if you apply on or after 11/20.

ETA: You probably don't want to apply too late in December (say with a week left in the year), because the Plat is expedited but expect it to take at least 2 business days to get to you, possibly longer if there are delays because of the holidays. Then you need to select your airline, and it's recommended to wait 24-48 hours before using the credit (although lots of DPs have successfully triggered the credit the same day as selecting an airline).

I will caution that DoC mentioned over the weekend that he's hearing from his sources that Amex is working on something, and that there would be some big announcement. Well, DoC broke the story about the Biz Gold revamp, but I personally think that's a bit underwhelming. I don't know if whatever Amex is working on includes the cards with the airline credit (the Plats, Biz Plats, Gold, Hilton Aspire), or how they work, and I don't know if there will be any changes announced before mid- to late-November. :confused3

Last edited:
I’m hoping to buy tix to Arizona for spring break soon for 4. I’d like to get 2 of them with dh’s FF miles (Delta) and 2 through my CSR portal using UR’s. This is my first time booking free flights and I’m splitting the transaction. Anything I need to be aware of that maybe I’m not?

ETA more info: my kids don’t have ff accounts. Should I sign them up first? Or do you not get miles for award flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter