I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon DISchurners...I have a non-Disney award travel question for you.

I've been planning a tentative trip to England. I've been before but mostly stuck to London, and I'd really like to go to Stratford-Upon-Avon, Stonehenge, Oxford, maybe Liverpool if we can get enough time off, in addition to hitting some of the highlights in London again. If anyone has done a trip like this, would you say it would be better to be based out of London for 3-4 day trips, or to travel from town to town, e.g. London to Oxford to Stratford to Bath? Especially interested to hear which strategy would be best if we are trying to stay at hotels mostly on points.

We may switch it up and do Japan instead that year, since that would be harder to do with kids in the future, but wanted to know what the experts think!

I've not done a trip exactly as you outline, but I've planned a few international trips requiring city hopping and IMO I think each day you travel to a new spot, you lose at least half a day of sightseeing plus you have to do something with your luggage on your transit day. If you don't make plans to store bags, you are hauling bags around with you and in this day and age of heightened security everywhere it's hard to visit some sites and you may not be allowed entrance. Based on that, my vote would be to locate yourself a little outside of City of London, but convenient to a bus/train depot (if you're not renting a car) where you can make day trips to your desired destination. That said, I LOVE Bath and would try to fit in some nights there if you can. I wish I had allotted more than three nights to Bath when I planned our trip to England/Ireland/France.

I like London Toolkit for planning, there's a ton of info on there. Seat61 has good info on train travel. As far as staying at hotels on points go, I think IHG, Marriott, Hilton, and Radisson have the most properties you could utilize and those will most likely be in London (will cost many points) or Liverpool (probably costs fewer points); the other smaller towns you mention probably don't have many options as far as big chains go. Actually, the UR portal would probably be your best bet for finding places that you can book on points for the smaller towns.

I think I'm just torn because the BJ's gift card offer ends 10/31, so I'm trying to figure out if I should buy more to finish the Discover category, or wait and see how holiday shopping goes for Amazon. I might just bite the bullet and do it, because the 8% before the card bonus is better than what I've been able to get elsewhere. I'm also trying to figure out if I should use the Shop Rite 10x Chase Pay bonus on the CF for more gift cards before 10/31... I should've planned this out better before the end of the month! :rotfl:
I figure another offer will come along. I already have a lot in GCs, I can wait.

BJ's has several GCs for 10% off or more online, some notables:

10%
Starbucks, 50 for 45
Starbucks 3 10s, 30 for 27
PF Chang's, 50 for 45 44 (12%)
iTunes, all multipacks
Hotels .com, 100 for 90
Southwest, 200 for 180

20%
Dunkin donuts, 25 for 18

Most expire on Oct 31. Free membership open house runs until 11/4

ETA: whoops had southwest listed wrong. Hopefully I didn't get anyone excited.
Edit 2: missed a word, added ''online"
Edit 3: either it changed or I can't read, and PF Chang's is actually $43.99

Last edited:
BJ's has several GCs for 10% off or more, some notables:

10%
Starbucks, 50 for 45
Starbucks 3 10s, 30 for 27
PF Chang's, 50 for 45
iTunes, all multipacks
Hotels .com, 100 for 90
Southwest, 200 for 180

20%
Dunkin donuts, 25 for 18

Most expire on Oct 31. Free membership open house runs until 11/4

ETA: whoops had southwest listed wrong. Hopefully I didn't get anyone excited.

YMMV in stores though. there were some reports the cards arent discounted in stores. only online. online requires membership...

YMMV in stores though. there were some reports the cards arent discounted in stores. only online. online requires membership...

Currently online doesn't require a membership (because of the promo). I've purchased 2 sets of Disney gc's without a membership. I did have to use my login that I created with them to see the pricing though.

Currently sitting on a balcony outside our 8th floor Dolphin room overlooking the water. Ok, this is pretty nice.

My train was about 2 hours late getting into Orlando yesterday. A broken down freight train blocked the tracks in front of us south of Richmond, so we has to sit and wait a while. Nothing that can be done about that though. It was otherwise pleasant, I ate 3 very hearty meals and arrived here safely. I took some train pictures, but I'm having trouble with them on mobile, so those may have to wait until I get back home.

If anyone is at WDW, I'll be the guy double-fisting F&W goodies all day every day at Epcot.

SO got approved for his third Chase Business card today. We are going for the Southwest Companion pass. I’m wondering if I should try for a fourth Chase business card for him tho. He is at 4/24 and the personal Southwest card will put him over. We have a flight in early December so I’m trying to decide whether it would be better to apply for it in flight or refer him and just do some extra spend. I think I want the priority one for him tho so we will do the in flight. I thought for sure I was going to be over 5/24 before SO but since I can’t seem to get a second chase business card I may change plans and have SO go over first. I have to plan out an app o rama for him I guess for December. I don’t want to do mine at the same time so I guess I’ll wait. I’ll try for the Southwest Business card instead of the CIC tho next time.

@amalone1013 my SO is similar to your DH. I told him today he got approved for the card and he was like Yayy idk what it is, but I’m sure it’s good lol. He was so hesitant about this but he is on board now. He monitors his credit score occasionally and knows I’m not ruining his credit now. He is pretty good about using the card I tell him too but whenever he uses applepay or orders something online he uses whatever card is saved to his account.

Thanks, now that you said that I see I forgot the word online ( knew I shouldn't have done it from my phone)
You can do the free membership online too, if you already have an account just add to the cart and login and go. If you need to make an account you can start to buy the online membership, that will make you an account but before you check out just remove the online membership from the cart.
The other week in my store the Hotel .com GCs we're actually better prices at $85 but not sure if that's still active. And Disney hasn't been additionally discounted in the stores. It's really odd how different the stores and online can be. Some sales are exactly the same, like SpaWeek GCs are 50 for 35 in store and online, but most are completely different.

Last edited:
Currently sitting on a balcony outside our 8th floor Dolphin room overlooking the water. Ok, this is pretty nice.

My train was about 2 hours late getting into Orlando yesterday. A broken down freight train blocked the tracks in front of us south of Richmond, so we has to sit and wait a while. Nothing that can be done about that though. It was otherwise pleasant, I ate 3 very hearty meals and arrived here safely. I took some train pictures, but I'm having trouble with them on mobile, so those may have to wait until I get back home.

If anyone is at WDW, I'll be the guy double-fisting F&W goodies all day every day at Epcot.
I'm thinking it was CSX. I live in Richmond and they're the worst and have priority:(

Enjoy your trip!

We are thinking of going to Costa Rica next Christmas. Where did you stay? Any must dos?

Also, I really want to go down to the Osa Peninsula - although I think this would be difficult to do on points. We skipped it due to limited time + its quite a hike down there.

Its a beautiful country; the people are friendly. And its fairly easy to travel on your own. I highly recommend!

@pillow's trip to Costa Rica sounds fantastic. There is a lot of geographic diversity in CR and so much to do just depending on your interests. Volcanos, beaches, rain forests, jungles, it's an incredible place.

I think CR has "rainy" and "less rainy" seasons, and December should be in the "less rainy" season. We are leaving for CR in a few weeks for Thanksgiving week and I'm a little worried since it will be the tail end of the "rainy" season. On this trip we're staying at just one location in Guanacaste (Hotel Punta Islita) that I got with a Marriott travel package (pre 8/18). Previously, we visited the Arenal and Manuel Antonio areas since those seem to be CR 101 trip destinations, and had a wonderful & busy time since I wasn't sure when or if we'd ever make it back and I wanted to fit in as much as I could. This trip is going to be more for relaxation since I think DH and DD need it. I'm concerned I might be bored since I usually am gogogo on vacation, but I'll bring books and art supplies.

Just piling on to the Costa Rica love! We had a great trip there - we only did the Osa Peninsula (flew in to San Jose, stayed overnight, then flew to the Osa). It was so beautiful. Its a great country to travel with little kids- everyone was super helpful and sweet to my DD. We didn't drive at all- hired drivers to get us from place to place - the roads are rough, esp. in the Osa. We'd love to go back.

Tried again to use my Marriott 7 night Cat 1-5 certificate. I now have a confirmation number and hotel booked which says it it used 45K points from my cert but I got a second odd email.

Dear STEPH PLUM,
As requested, we have cancelled your reward order. Below is a summary of your cancellation information.
Sincerely,
Marriott Rewards

Cancellation Information
  • Description: 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels
  • Certificate cancelled: XXXXxxxx
  • Cancelled on: Saturday, October 27, 2018
  • Reward code: 830T
Important note:
Please note that if you are cancelling a hotel reward this does not also cancel your hotel reservation for this reward stay. If you would also like to cancel your hotel reservation you may do so by calling 1-800-MARRIOTT (627-7468) or by visiting us online.

That is a weird way to say certificate redeemed. I think I remember at least one other person has redeemed their cert. Is this a normal email?

Yeah, I got weird cancellation emails too when booked my 7 nights, even though it was the same category etc. The reservation looks good in my account, so I think it all will work out (will let you know in a couple weeks when we take the trip!)

Super busy weekend, so I didn't check on my CIC app. Checked this morning and I'm approved! So my worries about being <60days with chase apps were unfounded. Looking forward to being more excited about gift card deals at Staples :laughing:

Going to continue to chase a good Amex plat deal for DH - either personal or biz. Just don't want to drop him into Amex world without a good initial offer! I've been unsuccessful so far in getting any of the increased offers to work for him, in any browser, using any link... Patience needed!

At least we can be working on the MSR on the CIC while I try!

You're actually at 3/24 since your CIC doesn't report to your personal credit report, so it won't count towards 5/24.

Would you consider the Swan and Dolphin for Disney? That could work for the SPG Lux card but standard award nights are 50k so the sign up from one card would only get about 2 nights. However if off site is fine, there's a nearby Marriott village you could points price. It's got 3 properties in one space that share some amenities. That should stretch the sign up further.
The Lux makes sense if you would for sure spend cash at a Stariott since the $300 credit is only on property. Otherwise (or in addition to ;)) the SPG Biz has a 100k sign up for a few more days for only a $95 AF waived for the first year.
Definitely open to the Swan and Dolphin..I've never had an AF card. When do they charge it, right away or at the 1 yr anniversary? Thanks

Definitely open to the Swan and Dolphin..I've never had an AF card. When do they charge it, right away or at the 1 yr anniversary? Thanks
Unless they waive it, it gets charged right away. If they waive it it'll be spelled out in the welcome offer specifically (like the CSP you have), if you don't see that assume you'll be charged right away.
If you get lucky and S&D has off peak pricing available for 40k/night then the Lux could get 3 nights from the sign up, but I'd probably not count on that going in. Since peak and off-peak are new we have no idea how any of that will look yet.

SO got approved for his third Chase Business card today. We are going for the Southwest Companion pass. I’m wondering if I should try for a fourth Chase business card for him tho. He is at 4/24 and the personal Southwest card will put him over. We have a flight in early December so I’m trying to decide whether it would be better to apply for it in flight or refer him and just do some extra spend. I think I want the priority one for him tho so we will do the in flight. I thought for sure I was going to be over 5/24 before SO but since I can’t seem to get a second chase business card I may change plans and have SO go over first. I have to plan out an app o rama for him I guess for December. I don’t want to do mine at the same time so I guess I’ll wait. I’ll try for the Southwest Business card instead of the CIC tho next time.

@amalone1013 my SO is similar to your DH. I told him today he got approved for the card and he was like Yayy idk what it is, but I’m sure it’s good lol. He was so hesitant about this but he is on board now. He monitors his credit score occasionally and knows I’m not ruining his credit now. He is pretty good about using the card I tell him too but whenever he uses applepay or orders something online he uses whatever card is saved to his account.

How far apart have you hit his business apps? I keep thinking I want to get CIU for myself soon in case the bonus disappears, but I'm 1/18 Marriott Biz and 5/18 CIP.

How far apart have you hit his business apps? I keep thinking I want to get CIU for myself soon in case the bonus disappears, but I'm 1/18 Marriott Biz and 5/18 CIP.

I’m not looking at my spreadsheet but I think it was CIP for him early March, April the CIC. Then June/July was the CSP/CSR. And then the SW Biz on Saturday/approval today. I have been hitting chase hard with his accounts. I’m less worried about a shutdown now.

Me on the other hand, my last chase card was December and last Business was in November and I can’t get another one. :badpc:

I’d go for it if I were you tho. I think shutdowns are happening less with Chase killing the double dips.

Did you guys see the Amex offer for eBags? Spend $100+ get 2k MR points? Good to hold out for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

I also got some good offers for Bravo and Brio which are places I eat regularly.

And LaQuinta, spend $100 or more and get $20 back. Thinking of using that for the day after my Disney cruise. I'm still trying to find a flight home that day but it's looking like I'm going to have to use the Monday return. There are just no good flight options out of MIA on SuperBowl Sunday!

Interesting article from AFAR about boarding pass discount programs. I have not been fortunate enough to fly on any carrier that does this so I haven't seen these programs anywhere yet, but something to keep in mind when checking out discounts at your destination. I am definitely going to add it to my research list now.

I got excited about the Alaska Airlines free wine tastings for inbound travelers but it was quickly squashed as it's for Oregon and Washington wineries and we'd be inbound to CA for their wineries :p. For folks using BA for inbound London trips, there's a discount program for some shops in London and afternoon tea at some of the hotels. Also listed is Eithad for Abu Dhabi which has a pretty extensive program but AFAR doesn't mention that the T&C's have this program ending on 10/31/18. Maybe it's seasonal though and they bring it back next year.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/hidden-boarding-pass-perks-you-probably-never-knew-existed

Last edited:
I’m not looking at my spreadsheet but I think it was CIP for him early March, April the CIC. Then June/July was the CSP/CSR. And then the SW Biz on Saturday/approval today. I have been hitting chase hard with his accounts. I’m less worried about a shutdown now.

Me on the other hand, my last chase card was December and last Business was in November and I can’t get another one. :badpc:

I’d go for it if I were you tho. I think shutdowns are happening less with Chase killing the double dips.

Thanks! Yeah I haven't had any personal cards since last October, so I'm in the clear for that. I was thinking I'd do DH's CSP first but I'm worried that if I wait until the spring the CIU bonus will disappear. I've got about $1300 left on the neverending MSR for SPG Biz before 11/24. It will probably get done when we're in Orlando next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter