I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a time that I was looking at DVC for the AP benefits. I believe you can put up to 6 people on the deed. At that time I would have added my daughter and mother to allow their households the discounts. This was just before Disney decided resale deeds would not get the benifits. The current owners were grandfathered in but resale deeds no longer got the AP savings.

I put oldest daughter on my deeds when I purchased. I did have second thoughts at the time as she was still pretty young but it has all worked out well.

Best news to start the day - approved for CIP!! Applied impulsively on Monday and was getting 30 day message through last night. Call this morning and heard the lovely words "You have been approved!" Now to get it expedited....I have to call right? I don't have any Chase business cards so I can't SM from my personal login right?

I was able to request expedited CIP from my personal account (did it for P2 as well).

I hate calling (talk to a live person?? the horror). Love SM. :)

I don't think I will ever be Disneyed out. We go a lot but mostly enjoy the atmosphere and being away on a short escape that doesn't require much planning if it is just the two of us.

That will be the weird and likely hardest part about visiting Dubai for us. Even after nearly 22 years of marriage DH and I still hold hands and give each other impromptu hugs and kisses. We will need to make a conscious effort to refrain from that.

party:

Ok OUCH! That's a lotta spend. Well done! Crossing fingers for no pop ups!
see,thats the thing for me(and prob a lot of others here) I'm not really disney'ed out...it's more like I'm attractioned out,and the prices no longer justify a trip down just to hang out and soak up the atmosphere....KWIM? If I lived local,and could get a deal on AP,I'd go and just hang out too, but the rides generally bore me since there isn't much that's new or great there for years. However I do enjoy the 'disney air' and the resorts overall. But with price hikes in every direction (parking,hotels,tickets,food) -we're just feeling squeezed out of visiting until something REALLY new and exciting makes it worth our while...which in turn saddens me a little, but then not to much. I'll go back, but not very soon. I still have a stash of gc's I got at a discount that I'm hedging my bets for a future trip with,but in the meantime I'll miss what we used to have. Like I said, it feels weird to max out all these great gc and store deals without buying a disney gc now!

I keep thinking I need to get this card next! I love flying JetBlue
I asked this on another board but now I'll ask you....how stringent is JB with the carryon luggage? My usual carryons are too tall according to the website details,b/c of the wheels. I always carry them on flying SWA but they're pretty relaxed about that. I don't check luggage, so looking for advice- I may need to spring for something new for this trip,or duffel bags. Is it overall suitcase dimensions,or the exact 21x14x9 I have to stick to? I haven't flown JB in many years.

Do any of you guys follow this DIS thread: Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I try to follow along there and help people...but it drives me crazy when people just come on that thread and complain about SW nonstop. They release flights too early, they release flights too late, prices are too high, the times don’t work for me, I’m waiting for the price to go down, crap the price went up - why are they so greedy, they used to be great - now they suck, I don’t like how they board but I’m too cheap to pay for EBCI...it just goes on and on sometimes.

I just want to grab these people and say “do you understand they are a business...and their sole purpose is not to cater to your insane demands”. They are welcome to select a different airline if they feel SW is so terrible. Sorry this is off topic but I just needed to rant for a minute.
I read that once in a while...... I've gotten some good info there in the past.... my only SWA quibble is I always book early am flights,and I have to get up early 24 hours prior to check in!(yeah I'm cheap) otherwise I LOVE SWA!!!

I have an :offtopic: post too...This trip I am planning for 16 people is completely stressing me out. I no longer want to be a TA. Not one who plans park days, dining, FP's and does a touring plan for 16 people. Booking rooms and seeing up DME is the easy part! Figuring out the dining for 16 people is going to be the death of me. Booking 16 people is only available at about 10 places...of which, about 6 are character meals, and these people are only wanting two character meals. They are willing to split 8/8 but not anymore than that, and I've called Disney and even calling doesn't open up a lot more options. Can I share what I currently have for them and you guys give me your thoughts? They have PH'ers, DDP and staying at BLT. Because we are always paying OOP, I've not been to some of these places. I'd love opinions from you all if you don't mind indulging me some with some OT stuff:

Arrival Day (everyone lands by 1:30)-March 11: 1900 PF 4:20 OR Crystal Palace 5:10 MK til close
March 12: Boma 5:35 Start day at AK
March 13: BOG 2:00 Start day at MK
March 14: 50's PT 2:30 Start day at DHS
March 15: Biergarten 6:10 Start day at Epcot
Departure day-March 16: Chef Mickey's 8:35 OR Ohana's 8:50 OR 1900 PF 9:35 (first flight out is at 1:30 and they are comfortable taking a taxi to MCO)

Open to ALL suggestions!!! There are 8 kids ranging in age from 18 down to 3. No one is character crazy nor are these every year Disney people. Most have never been, or not been in like 10 years.
Your schedule makes sense altho b/c it's 16 people I'd give the MOST amount of time I could set up for people to get where they need to be, so arrival day I'd do the later dinner(5:10) for safety- and departure day I'd do 1900 PF only bc I like the food there better than the other choices lol- the other days make perfect sense. I'd book it all and then just let it go (lol) -Your DHS plans are about right by 2:30 you should be ready to eat and leave that park(it took us all about 3 hours and we were done)
...ETA..... As far as touring plans- I'm assuming you already did FP times? or not yet? When I did my big group(you couldn't pay me enough to be a dis TA and do this all the time) We didn't focus on meals, we focused on our 3FP together. I learned a few things about big groups,FP and timing from this. So I wouldn't recommend trying to plan an entire day together, just the FP plans and a meal at best.

Update on Centurion lounge in Miami. Daughter and babies had food in the Priority Pass restaurant and she still has more layover time until noon. So she headed to the Centurion to get a look. Even though she isn't carrying her Plat, they looked her up and let her in. Way to go, Amex!

Anyway, it was very crowded, but they have a 'family' room with toys for kids and what looks like some kind of video game screen. I'm going by the texted pics. It's empty except for them and has a bathroom for the necessary changes, etc. Daughter is very pleased and says 'this is worth the annual fee on the Plat'!!!! She hasn't seen the food yet but will check it out before catching her next flight. Not sure if they can have food brought into this room, but it is obviously excellent for travelling with 1 and a half and 2 and a half that want to roam a bit. Thank you, Amex!

Edited to add: at this time food it is a breakfast buffet, and in typical older daughter style (she is picky) she says it 'looks nice enough'. That means good to very good.

2nd edit for Moms: changing stall has a solid door so 2nd child can't escape by climbing under the door. I kid you not, as this has happened in an airport and luckily I was nearby to apprehend the little escape artist.

Last edited:
I have an :offtopic: post too...This trip I am planning for 16 people is completely stressing me out. I no longer want to be a TA. Not one who plans park days, dining, FP's and does a touring plan for 16 people. Booking rooms and seeing up DME is the easy part! Figuring out the dining for 16 people is going to be the death of me. Booking 16 people is only available at about 10 places...of which, about 6 are character meals, and these people are only wanting two character meals. They are willing to split 8/8 but not anymore than that, and I've called Disney and even calling doesn't open up a lot more options. Can I share what I currently have for them and you guys give me your thoughts? They have PH'ers, DDP and staying at BLT. Because we are always paying OOP, I've not been to some of these places. I'd love opinions from you all if you don't mind indulging me some with some OT stuff:

Arrival Day (everyone lands by 1:30)-March 11: 1900 PF 4:20 OR Crystal Palace 5:10 MK til close
Departure day-March 16: Chef Mickey's 8:35 OR Ohana's 8:50 OR 1900 PF 9:35 (first flight out is at 1:30 and they are comfortable taking a taxi to MCO)

Open to ALL suggestions!!! There are 8 kids ranging in age from 18 down to 3. No one is character crazy nor are these every year Disney people. Most have never been, or not been in like 10 years.

I agree with everyone on the Arrival day eating at Crystal Palace. It is difficult to move 16 people from one place to another. Love Boma. We also really enjoy BOG and I would definitely keep the reservation. We eat there every trip and just love going in and sitting in the a/c for awhile. We have 2 gluten free in our family and they both love the GF bread on the french dip sandwich. I don't think there are alot of great CS places in the MK, so I would definitely keep it! Love 50's PT. Have never been to Biergarten. Even though it would be easier to eat at Chef Mickey's, I think it seems so loud and chaotic in the restaurant. I would go with Ohana.

Best of luck!!!

Yikes this scares me. I’m planning my wedding and I think a lot of family memebers will want to eat with SO and I. We maybe searching for more than 16. Were you booking right at 180 days?

I would pick Crystal Palace and then Chef Mickeys. Crystal Palace because it would be nice to eat in MK on their first day as opposed to leaving. I only went years ago so I can’t really say how the food is. Then I’d pick Chef Mickeys because it’s at their hotel. The others are a quick stop on the monorail but I think it’s just easier for them to stay at their hotel on departure day. Plus I loved Chef Mickeys breakfast.

Not at 180 days. They didn't even have the trip booked until about 140 days, and then dates were up in the air again after booking so I paused on the dining booking, got dates nailed down (and flights booked so no more changes lol!) and so it was about 130 days when could really do dining. But just fyi, Disney cannot accommodate parties this large everywhere. It's somewhat limited even with the splitting 8/8 though that did open up a lot more options.

On arrival day, they are only going to get in a few hours at MK. So, they will either monorail over to GF for a 4:20 at 1900 PF or walk into MK for a 5:10 at CP. Their only park time that day is after dinner. I'd prefer the characters at 1900 PF for their group but I'm thinking that just getting into MK seems the quicker option.

I asked this on another board but now I'll ask you....how stringent is JB with the carryon luggage? My usual carryons are too tall according to the website details,b/c of the wheels. I always carry them on flying SWA but they're pretty relaxed about that. I don't check luggage, so looking for advice- I may need to spring for something new for this trip,or duffel bags. Is it overall suitcase dimensions,or the exact 21x14x9 I have to stick to? I haven't flown JB in many years.

I can't recall the measurements of my carry on, but it's definitely right on the line of being too big. I've never had JB say anything and I've flown with them probably 4 times over the last 18 months.

I just used UR points to book airfare. I was really happy with the redemption and the price. Now, I feel like I should have put a few dollars on my CSR for the travel insurance (traveling in Feb 1 day pre-cruise). Is there any travel insurance with UR redemptions through the Chase portal?

If you used your CSR's UR portal, then yes.

Here is the Guide to Benefits for the CSR. There are sections going over trip cancellation and trip interruption, what covered reasons are, etc.

And a little snippet from it regarding using URs:

upload_2018-10-18_8-52-20.png

It really is fine print, but worth going over for your piece of mind.

It all looks good to me. I think any of the 3 on the departure day are fine. We've done all 3 numerous times and would do them again. Boma is my favorite buffet place. BOG is fine and should be experienced at least once. We've been numerous times for lunch and for dinner. 50's PT is fun if you get a good server and play along. Biergarten was ok but also should be experienced at least once. I prefer 1900 PF over Crystal Palace because I think the characters are way more fun. Plus that strawberry soup stuff is really good!

Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge is a lot of fun but it is outside the park. I find most adults and kids enjoy it very much, When we take the family this is always a request of the "can we go to" places to eat.

Our Thanksgiving weekend trip this year is both sides of the family which totals 16 too. DVC rooms at GF were the hardest to secure. I completely forgot about booking dining at 180 days. Fortunately, I managed to get Spirit of Aloha dinner show, Whispering Canyon (such fun) and Hoop Dee Doo. I'm happy to be doing HDD for the umpteenth time and beyond sad that it is going away.

Whispering Canyon is a huge fav of ours too! We do it every trip. I'm just not sure how to fit it in these people's plans. Since they arrive mid-afternoon, and want to go into MK that evening, I think either keeping them on the monorail for dinner or heading into MK for dinner is best. And then every other day is a park day. They aren't interested in leaving the parks for meals on those days.

I hadn't heard HDD was going away. That is sad!! And Mickey's backyard BBQ??

We haven't done dinner at 1900 or CP yet, 1900 is next on my list though.
I budget dinner at Boma for every trip. It's our favorite.
BOG was a one and done. Loved the atmosphere, but the food was just okay at best.
Haven't done 50's or Biergarten.
Not thrilled with CM, our last trip to Ohana's breakfast I wasn't impressed, it wasn't as good as the first time and haven't done 1900.

WOW! I am really impressed that you got all of those reservations for that size party. I have not been to BOG in a couple of years but I think since you have it I would keep it, it is about the ambiance as much as anything. Half our party considers 50's a must do the other 1/2 not so much. I have never had a meal be a bust but haven't been in awhile, again the ambiance is key here also, I would keep it. I am not a fan of Chef Mickey's, would not go even if it were free, it is like Chuckie Cheese on steroids :yay:(or 40 pounds of sugar and red dye). I liked 1900 but it was a long time ago, of the 3 that is the one I personally would probably go with, unless your group is made up of 16, 5 year olds :) I do not envy you this chore, bad enough with 9.

I've never been to Chef Mickeys but yes, the sounds coming from that restaurant sound so loud and obnoxious lol! I'd rather put them at Ohanas or 1900 PF for their departure b-fast. We normally do one of those two when staying on the monorail. However, the main lady who is kind of running the show (not paying for the trip...that is mom...this is one of her dd's I work with), she is really concerned about having to get going too early on departure morning, and already having everything packed up and them checked out super early. I definitely understand her thinking. The 1900 PF is 8:25, Ohanas 8:50 and CM 9:35 so the CM gives them more flexibility with their time all around.

Personally I'd do CP on arrival day since you want to be in MK that night anyway. Keeps it simple and there's lots for first timers to keep busy without having to transport in and out of the park. (already spent the morning traveling, no need to do more of it just for food)
No issues with BOG, while I was unimpressed with the food for the price, they're on DDP and it's really the atmosphere you go for. Have to do it at least once. We've done Boma a few times and while we don't think it's as good as it had been, it's not bad and could be something different.
I'm not very helpful on DHS, we always ate at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic package so that's our only TS experience. But if they want to experience something different, 50's PT would be it from what I hear. It's unique, but possibly not for everyone. Are they fun folks that can get into it? Or a little stuffy?
Even though it's later, I'd probably go with 1900 PF for departure day, although full disclosure we never ended up eating there so no first hand experience. CM and even Ohana's can be a little chaotic, and we've never been seated on time for Ohana's Bfast, so 1900 PF seems like a nice wind down from the crazy that is a week at Disney with 16 people.

FWIW we did dinner at Ohana's, Biergarten, Chef Mickey, Mama Melrose and a lunch at the Coral Reef with our large group some years ago. Similar age ranges, 9 kids ages 21 down to 1. The aquarium held the kids attention enough to put up with Coral Reef. They all got into the show at the Biergarten, with the younger ones joining in on stage and the older ones signing along. A couple nights we split up, one night half the group wanted to do the Safari dinner in AK for 2 TS credits so the other half of us went to Wolfgang Puck's in DTD. We didn't always go en masse but we were also there longer, some were there 10 days and the rest of us were 7. For a large group trying to keep to easy transportation options, hat you have seems pretty good.

I have no idea what kind of people they are. I've only talked to one of the dd's. She is nice but 'business like'. Everything I tell her about or describe the type of restaurant it is, she says, "oh that sounds great. That sounds like fun". So it seems she is fairly 'go-with-the-flow' and easy to please but will they get into the antics at 50's PT?? Idk. We've only been to 50's once and I found the food great but I didn't love the server. She just came across so rude to me. And I love the antics at Whispering Canyon. The problem at DHS is I cannot find anywhere else I can get them in that will seat a party that large. Hollywood is the only other place and I do not think the Disney Jr characters are their cup of tea at all, nor do they want park day character meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter