I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on my SPG lux upgrade MSR. From my calculations, I've met the MSR but bonus points haven't posted yet. (no AF posted yet) When should I see the points? I thought they should show right away unlike Chase.

I had a pending transaction for over a week, but when the transaction finally posted, I could see the points that day on the Amex site and I think next morning on my Marriott account. Have you spent the full MSR plus the $450 fee?

I’m very glad we didn’t decide to do ABD. That would’ve cost so much more for us. I luckily have the free time to plan everything for Japan and the people on the Tokyo forum have been great. I have pretty much everything planned now. We have a few hotels to get situated and need to buy some things ahead of time (like our rail pass). Thank you to everyone on here that has helped me!

ABD trips are expensive to be sure and the Japan trip is one of the pricier ones. I would love to hear about your plans. I am hoping to go a couple of days before and explore. I’m always open to ideas. If not for @striker1064 it would have never occurred to me to go try Ethiopian food. Now, I really want to go to the robot restaurant in Tokyo! Beyond that I haven’t given things much thought.

Ah but it will go back up in a couple months, probably higher. My score is always >800 but when I applied for a car loan, it dropped to 780. Credit card apps usually drop mine 10-15 points. After a few months it’s back over 800.

Yup! Mine goes up and down all the time but stays in the 800’s for the most part. It has dipped a few times over the last few years into the high 700’s and then pops back over 800. I open about 5-8 cards every year.

Yep I think he said he was at 800 or a little above and now he’s under but we have automatic payments on everything so nothing is ever overdue.

It may look like an ECG of a heart in ventricular fibrillation but it is actual footage of my credit score over the last few years. :P

76F82391-92F8-4F4A-B0E4-EE7DC76A1353.jpeg

Anyone else who uses CCards for hotels care to chime in?

I'm trying to understand if it's better to just collect MRs and URs or if we should also get a hotel CC (Hyatt/SPG/Hilton) for hotel nights. Is there an advantage to going for one of those co-branded cards I keep reading about? Or should we just collect as many URs and MRs as possible?

I use credit cards for hotels but don’t really put spend on them. I will pick one up for the sign up bonus and if the benefits are worth I will keep it. If they aren’t, I cancel after a year. Here is what I have and why. DH and I each always get the same hotel card to maximize value and get a 2 free nights together for weekend getaways on cards that offer a free night.

Marriott Premier Plus - The free night is for a hotel up to 35k points per night. We ar able to get a weekend stay near WDW each year. This is convenient when there aren’t DVC rooms to be had on a last minute trip or we want to conserve DVC points if we are planning something big. We may reload an Amazon gift card with the card once a year to have some activity.

SPG business- now with the new card earning structure I don’t put spend on it, it used to be the card I put all non bonus category spending on. Keeps JB it fun r the same reason as the Marriott Premier Plus. I know we will use the anniversary nights every year with no problem.

SPG Lux - this one comes with a 50k anniversary night. We’ve discovered that we like Staycations too. We like these at a beach front Marriott that is 15 minutes from home. It is a 50k per night property so that one weekend. The $300 credit which we’d soend to stay there anyhow is another weekend. This is the only hotel card we’d be putting any spend on.

IHG - This card used to offer an unrestricted free night each card anniversary which is worth way more than the $49 AF. We have one more unrestricted free night coming on our card anniversaries. After that the card get a free night up to 40k points. I will reevaluate if I am keeping it once the anninight restriction goes into effect.

Club Carlson - gives us 40,000 anniversary points each year. We’ve had a good number of hotel stays in Europe for free thanks to this card.

I messaged the person who put an offer in on my ebay item. I just apologized and said I was out of town, and wanted to let them know I'd relisted it.

I got all excited because today I got an offer but was from someone else, for $20 less than I'm asking. Will think about it but may hold out.

Another Dance Party!! Applied DH for CIP#2 on Monday. Finally was approved today. Yeah!!. His last CIP was 5/29/18 - wasn't sure if it would be too soon but figured I would try with Christmas coming up and can pay tuition in December - should be good to go to meet the $5000 spend. I referred him from my CIP so an extra 20,000 there too. Starting to build back up our UR's after depleting them for our Spring Break Cruise.

I too am hoping Disney comes back. Would love to get tickets at a discount. Don't need hotel rooms. We know someone who owns DVC and rents to us at $6 a point. So, can't beat that.

My second round of RMN posted this morning for CVS and Walgreens . Yay! Home Depot is still pending. I was thinking I’d wind up doing round 3 once we got to the WDW area today after work. Well, fortune smiled upon me and there was a Walgreens and CVS across the street from each other about a block away from the exit where I was teaching CPR class today. I made a pit stop after class on the way homeand pciked up two more cards and saved $20 more.

Now we are headed to WDW, DH got out of work early and I only had one class today instead of two. It will be a novelty arriving during the day for once.

Avios/Miami Experts please (@calypso726 and anyone else ):

Question 1: I am thinking of possibly transferring UR -> Avios for an AA flight next Feb or Mar. I have never done this before and have been reading up on the transfer process on TPG and other resources. I was going to save our 150K UR for our Disney trip at this time, but...... :rolleyes1

Our flight from the midwest to MIA, and from Orlando to the midwest is currently $310.45 per person or $1,241.60 for the group. I need 4 tickets. Amazingly enough, BA is showing 4 award seats on the flights we want! :worship: Total cost to transfer is 70,000 Avios + $45, which would put it at 1.709 cpp. TPG values at 1.5 cpp, but wanted to hear other people's valuations. Good? Not good enough? United wants 214k to 230k miles. :lmao:

I checked what seats are available, and we could all sit together. When doing award travel, can I pick the seats? We have two adults and two minors so I will need one adult to sit by a minor at the very least.

If I were to transfer, do I call and put it on hold like I have done with United, then transfer, then call back? Or is there a way to do it online?

Question 2: Any good pre-cruise hotels? We are probably going to get into MIA around dinner time so we will just go to the hotel and/or find dinner. The kids get up early, so I was thinking if there was a place by the beach, we could play at the beach in the morning before heading to the pier. Too much? How far is it from a good beach area hotel to the pier or from MIA?

Thanks!!!!

Oh I was so wishing our trips would be at the same time next year. We couldn't swing the dates earlier due to how PTO is allotted and or accrued with our jobs. I totally agree, the Scotland trips where we met is still my all time favorite ABD. Oddly enough, the Norway cruise we were all on is tied for my favorite cruise of the 19 we have done with the Fantasy Maiden Voyage. The China ABD blew me away too. That was an awesome trip and I absolutely loved our guides, as always.

I think you know that Bruce developed the Scotland ABD. Did you know he is also the developer of the China and the Japan ABD? That alone tells me it will be great.

Yup, I'll be doing my usual day by day, play by play trip report and forgo sleep. I'll sleep enough when I'm dead :D

Sorry for the odd time delayed responses, but I'm in England moving DD into her University accommodations and things have been crazy!

Norway was probably my favorite cruise out of 13 (or 14, I'll have to ask @Calfan), too!

I didn't realize Bruce had developed the Japan trip. That is awesome to hear. As you also experienced, I had a long conversation with him about the Scotland ABD before we left, and he seemed like a really nice guy. I'll be looking forward to comparing trip reports!

SPG points (aka Starpoints) no longer exist. Strike it from your mind. Everything is now in Marriott points. 15k Marriott points is equal to 5k old Starpoints.
SPG points (aka Starpoints) no longer exist. Ok good...got it

Strike it from your mind. Yup - done! Struck...gone!

Everything is now in Marriott points. Right...what else would they be?

15k Marriott points is equal to 5k old Starpoints. What are these old Starpoints you speak of?? I'm so confused! Tell me more about them! :P

Sorry for the odd time delayed responses, but I'm in England moving DD into her University accommodations and things have been crazy!

Norway was probably my favorite cruise out of 13 (or 14, I'll have to ask @Calfan), too!

I didn't realize Bruce had developed the Japan trip. That is awesome to hear. As you also experienced, I had a long conversation with him about the Scotland ABD before we left, and he seemed like a really nice guy. I'll be looking forward to comparing trip reports!

13 (for you - 12 for me), and I agree that Iceland/Norway/Scotland has been my favorite, neck in neck with British Isles.

DP: RMN for HD, WG, and CVS have all progressed to the cash back in the app stage for both my DW and I for DGCs. It took about 4-5 days to get the money for each of them. They all showed pending within minutes of purchasing, but for at least two of them, one WG and one CVS, the pending never showed in the purchase date and the estimated date of payment. I initially thought I woudn't get paid on those and just figured the money on the other ones would soften that loss, but I did get payment on both of those as well. The funny thing is those two do not allow us to relink the offer b/c it shows that we've already done it.
All of the rest that behaved nicely are easily relinked, so we'll be heading out for one more round on those this weekend.

Wow! Thank you for all the responses. I was out doing round 3 of the RMN deal.

The responses are giving me a lot to think about. I'll post back today with more info/questions. @Lain, I think I already listed all the cards but maybe I just think I did and I need to do it later today. If I am an AU that would affect my X/5 number wouldn't it? Those 2 dumb retailer CCards DH opened were mainly for me, so I'm holding both of them too.

And is there a preferred Chase business card we should be researching? Or does it just depend on our situation? He's reluctant to do more with Chase at the moment since 1) he did the DD in July and it hasn't been that long and 2) he wants those points to post first.

Avios/Miami Experts please (@calypso726 and anyone else ):

Question 1: I am thinking of possibly transferring UR -> Avios for an AA flight next Feb or Mar. I have never done this before and have been reading up on the transfer process on TPG and other resources. I was going to save our 150K UR for our Disney trip at this time, but...... :rolleyes1

Our flight from the midwest to MIA, and from Orlando to the midwest is currently $310.45 per person or $1,241.60 for the group. I need 4 tickets. Amazingly enough, BA is showing 4 award seats on the flights we want! :worship: Total cost to transfer is 70,000 Avios + $45, which would put it at 1.709 cpp. TPG values at 1.5 cpp, but wanted to hear other people's valuations. Good? Not good enough? United wants 214k to 230k miles. :lmao:

I checked what seats are available, and we could all sit together. When doing award travel, can I pick the seats? We have two adults and two minors so I will need one adult to sit by a minor at the very least.

If I were to transfer, do I call and put it on hold like I have done with United, then transfer, then call back? Or is there a way to do it online?

Question 2: Any good pre-cruise hotels? We are probably going to get into MIA around dinner time so we will just go to the hotel and/or find dinner. The kids get up early, so I was thinking if there was a place by the beach, we could play at the beach in the morning before heading to the pier. Too much? How far is it from a good beach area hotel to the pier or from MIA?

Thanks!!!!

I would call that a good deal. I’d do the same thing given the same circumstances. I don’t know if you have MR but there is a transfer bonus of MR to BA Avios right now.

As for seating, I don’t know to be sure. We use points to book business or first and you are allowed to choose seats on those award flights. I think you get to for economy too but the seats are more limited with regards to choices. Plus, you’d likely have to check your AA record locator and log in AA to choose seats.

Hotels, I don’t know about since we live here and have only recently discovered the joy of staycations. So we’ve only experienced one Marriott on the beach and it was in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I’d check out TripAdvisor for reviews on nearby hotels as well as Cruise Critic to see what are the recommended pre stay hotels.hope this helps. :flower3:

Another Dance Party!! Applied DH for CIP#2 on Monday. Finally was approved today. Yeah!!. His last CIP was 5/29/18 - wasn't sure if it would be too soon but figured I would try with Christmas coming up and can pay tuition in December - should be good to go to meet the $5000 spend. I referred him from my CIP so an extra 20,000 there too. Starting to build back up our UR's after depleting them for our Spring Break Cruise.

I too am hoping Disney comes back. Would love to get tickets at a discount. Don't need hotel rooms. We know someone who owns DVC and rents to us at $6 a point. So, can't beat that.

Ok—congratulations!

pixiedust::cheer2:party::cheer2:pixiedust:

Just wondering if DH’s second CIP is using an EIN?

OMG! I can’t beleive she’s already going to University! Please tell her we said Hi, wish her well and congratulations!

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for all the responses. I was out doing round 3 of the RMN deal.

The responses are giving me a lot to think about. I'll post back today with more info/questions. @Lain, I think I already listed all the cards but maybe I just think I did and I need to do it later today. If I am an AU that would affect my X/5 number wouldn't it? Those 2 dumb retailer CCards DH opened were mainly for me, so I'm holding both of them too.

And is there a preferred Chase business card we should be researching? Or does it just depend on our situation? He's reluctant to do more with Chase at the moment since 1) he did the DD in July and it hasn't been that long and 2) he wants those points to post first.

1. If the AU is for a card opened in the past 24 months, it’ll likely count against you. The best way to check is probably pull a copy of your credit report, or check your credit reports on Credit Karma (which pulls the data from Equifax and TransUnion), look at your card accounts and count the ones opened in the last 2 years.

Although you mentioned that two are store cards, they may or may not be reported, and will likely count if issued by a bank. If a store card puts you at or over 5/24, you could recon Chase and ask they disregard the cards as store cards only. But DPs are mixed whether the Chase rep will not count them.

2. Chase has 3 Ink business cards, the Preferred (CIP), Cash (CIC), and Unlimited (CIU). @calypso726 @SouthFayetteFan and others had a very detailed discussion weighing the benefits of each card last week. Just do a search.

One basic way to look at which card to get (first — because if you plan it right, you can eventually get them all), is do you value the initial signup bonus or the ongoing earning ability of the card?

The CIP has the biggest signup bonus with 80k UR and the ability to refer at 20k per approved signup, but it has a $95 AF and a severely nerfed 3x UR bonus category now that Chase killed Plastiq earning 3x UR on the CIP. Remember, @Haley R and her husband signed up for just 1 CSR and 2 CIPs, with her DH signing up first then referring her for a CIP, and had enough points for 2 business class RT tickets to Japan, a hotel, and points left over.

The CIC and CIU don’t have AFs, but each card currently offer a 50k UR signup bonus (with no ability to refer), so an awesome deal on no fee cards. The CIC is a potential UR-earning machine, because it earns 5x UR on up to $25k/year in spend on, particularly, office supply stores. Office supply stores like Office Depot, Office Max, and Staples sells prepaid VGCs, MCGCs, and third-party gift cards like Disney, Amazon, gas, restaurants, retailers, etc. You’ve been doing RMN — all those gift cards you see at Staples? You could be earning 5x UR on them and passing on that category bonus to whatever merchant you buy a gift card to. The CIC also earns 5x on a gift card app called Gyft when using it through PayPal checkout, which can save you a trip to the office supply store.

Totally understand your DH wanting to space out his next app after a Sapphire double dip and waiting for those points to post first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter