I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of balancing velocity...AMEX biz cards can help. Alternating apps between players definitely helps too - this so-called "strategy" doesn't necessarily make it a good one for everybody either. For those that are faster churners it may not work. For people who only plan to get 3-4 cards a year and have a Player 2...it can really be lucrative! It can also just be a card you stick in there when you're in between large spend. OR with the CF you could pick a quarter that is attractive (i.e. groceries or Gas) and max that out.

Ah, sorry! Perhaps I should have been clearer with my question. I definitely qualify as a slow churner (low monthly expenses + an aversion to MS) and can't justify the spend or AFs on the Amex business cards right now, so I'm looking mostly at Chase and wondering what I should do after my planned Sapphire double-dip in March. Thinking of starting back up next October or so, alternating CIU/CF/CIC/CFU apps with 90 days between each one, referring DH to the CF and having him refer me to the CFU*. But maybe I should do the business cards first?

*(unless he changes his tune and is open to getting more cards! But right now that's not happening :) )

My Marriott nights and flights package experience. Called this weekend. The prompts are awful. First time I got transferred to someone who didn't know what I was talking about and could not help me. Second call in got a person who figured it out. Totally agree with everyone who said it was crazy they put the number on the website but it doesn't go to a center that can help you right away. The cert showed up immediately. Miles showed up today in my account.

We don't have Sam's or BJs here, so that wouldn't help.
You can buy Disney GCs from BJs online without a membership. I’m in IL, closest BJs is OH. No problems
Fairmont upgraded us to a 1900 square foot suite since I told them it was my birthday weekend. After this upgrade and the Hyatt one, I don't think I can stay in a regular room again...lol. Just kidding.
Happy Birthday! You are quickly becoming the upgrade queen. princess:

Soooo I think I'm going to wait until August 13th
Maybe pick a luckier date? Lol

So, one of the TPs is upgraded and attached to a reservation in N'awlins! CEMETERIES and FOOD! Two of my favorite things!
Love NOLA, love food. Mmm.
https://www.frenchquarterphantoms.com/
Haven’t done NOLA but did cemetery/graveyard tour in Charleston. So interesting

I came home to a UPS Express Envelope with a solid gray box and my shiny new Biz Platinum inside. :cloud9:

The Biz Plat's packaging is thinner than the personal Platinum's, and doesn't include a wooden cardholder/smartphone stand.

ETA: And I just added the Biz Platinum to Apple Pay, Plastiq, and PayPal.

Last edited:
Is there any point in keeping a chase card longer than two years? DH CF is over 2 years I just realized. I've already transferred those points to his CSR. Can I cancel and reapply? If so what timelines should I look at? Can I work out a referral bonus for me by doing this?

Ok, I have a P2 in the mix. I asked DH if he wanted a new business visa like me. He said “What’s my business? Monkey business?” I said...yep. So “he” applied for the CIP late this afternoon through my referral. Hoping approval goes smoothly and in time to use Plastiq for our humongous* car insurance yearly payment due end of August.

curious on what kind of category of business is monkey business in... :P

@speedyfishy and @Albort - Xfinity sent me a $250 debit card from Metabank for the cell phone promotion rebate when I got my Samsung.

Is this something I can turn into a money order at Walmart or other store such as Giant or Safeway and then deposit in my bank account? It has my name on it and $250 printed in the right corner.

I know I can just spend it but you get no points for spending it outright.

depends on what u plan to do later on, if your plan is to MS in the future, that card could be a good chance for you to test things out. like what @speedyfishy said, go to your grocery store and see if you can get an MO out of them. go to walmart, see how it works. If your not really into that, its probably easier to load it to Venmo and transfer to a friend, then have them give u back the money.

We were. But you mentioned ANA, which made me think of Star Alliance, which in turn made me think of United, which then made me think of my FOMO on 132k miles for a 5th travel package. :P
but United redemption sucks compared to ANA redemption... :P

Is there any point in keeping a chase card longer than two years? DH CF is over 2 years I just realized. I've already transferred those points to his CSR. Can I cancel and reapply? If so what timelines should I look at? Can I work out a referral bonus for me by doing this?

hard pull and a point onto your 5/24 status. CF should be pretty easy to max out every quarter. bonus on this card isnt really worth the hard pull though imo. you can make 7500 with 1.5k spendings every 3 months.

Ok another question sorry! I am in the process of having my May 2019 Disney res transferred to chase. I saw some posts about chase being able to get AP rates and other discounts? How can I do that? I just have a MYW package

Has anyone heard any more on the possibility of transferring Amex MR to SPG 1:1, before the program merges?

Ok another question sorry! I am in the process of having my May 2019 Disney res transferred to chase. I saw some posts about chase being able to get AP rates and other discounts? How can I do that? I just have a MYW package
Chase travel agents can see the same availability as all other travel agents. As long as it’s available they can book it. If it’s a room only discount or MYW, as long as it’s available it can be booked.

You could potentially PC your CF to CFU. BEFORE you do this generate a referral link for CF. THEN wait 30 days after PC to be safe and apply for a new CF using your own referral link.

Last time on Ebay, I have the person wanting their bid removed because of the shipping and the buyer also asked about shipping after paying promptly.

This time, my two auctions ended at midnight PST on Saturday, and neither buyers have paid :badpc:

Wow, thanks so much for the many quick replies!

More info for you:
We live in Northern California and are about 1 1/2 hours from the nearest airport (Sacramento), which isn't huge. I often fly to Disneyland with my friends, so SW has been great for me. I never pay for a flight and I never drive there. DD is now going to be attending school near Disneyland so more SW flights for us. I have an AP to DL and usually pay very little to go there, but dh doesn't like DL very much.

We want to do more international travel, some with the kids and some without as they get older. We went to England last year and had a blast, but it was expensive and I would like to find a way to get some free flights next time. We're planning another trip to Europe next summer, destination as yet undecided.

SW works well for us and we're looking forward to the upcoming Hawaii flights, which isn't bad from the west coast. However, I would like to have a card that earns rewards I can use for other airlines/hotels/etc.

My dh teaches math and I'm a retired English/science teacher. I also have a knitting business; I don't make a ton of money but it's nice to get paid for your hobby. I retired early to care for my dad, who had cancer and Alzheimer's. He lived with us but passed away in January.

We belong to several hotel loyalty programs but we don't often use them. With 5 of us, we usually use something like Airbnb or VRBO. When I go to DL, I generally stay in a Disney hotel (no loyalty program, sadly).

We are an active family and we like to hike, bike, walk, swim, etc. My family would be very bored just sitting around somewhere. We rented an RV this summer and went up the coast of Oregon and Washington and stayed several nights on San Juan island. I have to tell you I do not intend to rent an RV again--definitely not my cup of tea. Loved the trip, didn't love the RV.

DH and I have no joint bank accounts. We married late (40 and 43) and never saw the need to change what we already had, so I have all of my banking, cards, etc in my name only and so does he. He has a large family trust that doesn't include me but does include the kids, and I have a smaller family trust that is the same, and we have a family trust together. We are both on the mortgage and own our vehicles and property jointly. I honestly don't know how this works with credit agencies; if I open an account in my name for instance (I have my own income), does it affect his credit score and vice versa? We both have excellent credit and have no vehicle payments and just a small mortgage.

Since we are both getting older and our family and work obligations are diminishing, I would like to do a lot more traveling while we're in good shape.

I hope I didn't overload you with my personal info! I'll definitely look into the Plastic and Ink cards. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

This thread goes through slow spells and very active spurts. Hope the fast pace today didn’t scare you off. I do think the CIP is a great place to start for you. Then probably the CsR/CSP double dip. If your DH is open to also getting cards then you can refer him to the same cards. Just make sure you are able to do the required spend to get the points. $5000 in 3 months for CIP. $4000 each for CSR and CSP. Also look into the AMex business cards that have been mentioned today. If you know what airline you would use then you can decide if URs (Chase) or MRs (AMex) are more worth it for you.

If you haven’t already, pm @Lain or @SouthFayetteFan to join our Dischurners reddit group. You will find other useful info there (including info about Plastiq) and support links for helping out those who gave you advice. And somewhere you can add your support links also.

Did you all see this?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30029781-post4451.html

C&P
What will happen to existing Marriott Travel Packages which are not yet redeemed?
I did not get the answer that you may have wanted. Travel Packages are well down the list of priorities at the moment. Marriott will NOT be telling people before 18th August what will happen to their existing unused package.David’s recommendation is to redeem now if you want to be certain of getting a specific hotel, but of course that is no use if you want what is currently a Starwood property.If you are on the fence about getting a Travel Package, I can’t help you decide. You won’t know before 18th August if you will get a better deal or not by waiting. After 18th August, redemptions of existing Travel Package hotel certificates will be suspended.

David specifically said to me that Marriott is considering voiding all outstanding Travel Packages after 18th August and refunding the hotel part.This may not happen. It is possible that they find a way of mapping existing packages across to the new categories. However, be aware that – after 18th August – you will not be able to book a hotel using an existing Travel Package certificate until they have made up their mind. You are at the mercy of Marriott as to whether they decide to reimburse your points (less the value of the airline miles you’ve already had) or find a way of letting you book a comparable hotel to the old category system.

Ah, sorry! Perhaps I should have been clearer with my question. I definitely qualify as a slow churner (low monthly expenses + an aversion to MS) and can't justify the spend or AFs on the Amex business cards right now, so I'm looking mostly at Chase and wondering what I should do after my planned Sapphire double-dip in March. Thinking of starting back up next October or so, alternating CIU/CF/CIC/CFU apps with 90 days between each one, referring DH to the CF and having him refer me to the CFU*. But maybe I should do the business cards first?

*(unless he changes his tune and is open to getting more cards! But right now that's not happening :) )

I’m a slow churned too with a reluctant DH...he’s fine with me applying for cards in his name, but will not make any phone calls etc...so I’m applying for a new Chase card for each of us every 3 months...will take a while to go,through them all...
Since finding this thread..I’ve applied for,the CIP and started putting everything on the card...then paying it off weekly...we actually met the MSP in two months when initially I was worried about it

Last time on Ebay, I have the person wanting their bid removed because of the shipping and the buyer also asked about shipping after paying promptly.

This time, my two auctions ended at midnight PST on Saturday, and neither buyers have paid :badpc:

Oh no..so sorry ..have you sent “reminder “ invoices...this is why I usually just list BIN with instant payment I hated opening the unpaid item claims to get my FVF back

Are others having trouble having credit post on sams club Amex offer? I know some have and wondering if it has posted now. @CyndiLouWho? I did the chat today and they said 8 weeks. Gave me flashback to my dealings with Amex on getting Dh’s bonus to post. Maybe I will stop longing for another Amex card...they can be so difficult.

And look we are almost at 2000 pages! Wasn’t it like yesterday we were at 1000?!?

Replying to this to check my own understanding (hopefully someone will confirm or not): You don't have to cancel one Chase card to apply for a second, and you can get the sign-up bonus a second time so long as it's been more than 24 months since you received the previous sign-up bonus.

A few reasons to keep a card: It adds to your length of credit (might or might not apply to a card you've had for two years). The CF has no annual fee so it costs nothing to keep, and it has benefits you might use.

Editing to say that @SouthFayetteFan has pointed out that you DO need to cancel a Chase card before applying for the same card -- just don't want anyone to be misled.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard any more on the possibility of transferring Amex MR to SPG 1:1, before the program merges?

I saw this comment on the link posted earlier—

For anyone wanting to transfer MR to SPG to make this happen be aware that Amex have disabled all points transfers until August 8th because of a system upgrade (or so it say on my account).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter