I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. I think I messed this up. I am still getting the two week message and now that we are late in the day, I have a feeling it won't be approved today. Guess I can still call recon. See if I can get anyone...

EDIT: I got someone in recon! Verified info...now waiting...

YAY!! Approved!!!

With a ginormous credit limit...so let's see how the CSP goes...

For those that didn't see this back in March - here is where I discussed the CF/CFU back and forth game to generate a bunch of URs for low spend. This strategy would probably be for somebody who is a slow churner, doesn't think they'll butt up against 5/24, or aren't interested in non UR Chase cards. The above comments summarize it but basically in 2 player mode you could start without any CF or CFU cards and end up with 2 CF and 2 CFU cards and 96,500 URs for spending just $4,000. If you already have a CSR that makes this worth $1,447.50 towards travel (but remember you each used Two 5/24 slots to get there).

You could also then PC your CFU cards to CF and now you have 4 FREEDOMS...hello 5% categories ;) haha! At any rate...figured i'd post this "mini-strategy" again for those that may be interested.

EDIT: I now see this was 20,000 comments ago. We move fast, haha! That was just March!!
EDIT2: Keep in mind that you probably want to use the middle name trick for AUs here or something else...don't actually add your player 2 and vice versa as that will hit their 5/24 count.

Thanks for reposting this....I do want to get them..just concentrating on getting the Chase cards with the higher UR bonus first

Catching up on the thread so don't know if this has been answered or not. Call 800-321-7396. When prompted about why you are calling say "transfer reward points" then when prompted again say "Something else" that will get you to the right person.

Wish I had known this last weekend when we bought ours. I didn't read through @peel's experience but thinking we had a similar one from the chatter I did catch. It took three calls, also was on hold each time for about 25 mins and then disconnected, spoke to several reps who had no idea how to help me...all said and done was well over an hour, and a lot of irritation on my dh's part...made him hang with me because they are his points.

Looks like it! Here's my contribution to that goal:

I posted on Saturday about how to use points to cover expenses other than flight/tickets/hotels at Disney and Universal, and someone suggested adding the Disney Dining Plan if I have enough points. Running the math on the points I would need booking with the CSR, it seems like it might be a great deal, especially if I can stack it with a room discount (right now for example the regular plan costs $75/pp/night, but I would only need 5k UR/pp/night to add it to a package booked through Chase.)

I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and if so what were your experiences? Did you feel like it was a good value for your points? Especially interested in anyone who is a big eater (DH and I eat out a lot! Maybe too much...) and took full advantage of alcholic beverages being included with QS and TS meals starting in 2018!

The package I booked last week for 6 nights in October is 2 moderate rooms (our family of 5 likes some space) and quick service dining plan. It will be way too much food for us but I am justifying it with the fact we are using the UR's and getting a decent room discount. I am not going to lie...the alcoholic beverages is the swaying factor for me. I was thinking of doing the dining plan (quick service and table service) but ended up deciding we don't want to eat at a ton of restaurants this trip and try to do it more budget. The tips on the TS add up. So I haven't done it yet but it does seem like a good value as this trip will be pretty much paid for before hand since I won't have any out of pocket food expenses.

@Lain prayers for you MIL :grouphug:

Well I did it. Now ya'll know my FOMO and FOUP (fear of using points). But I really did it. I booked the *GT rate for the 6 of us sailing 12/15/18! No refund, no changes. :faint:
I wiped out our URs...460k and paid the balance of $1800 on the CSR that I will reimburse myself from the Alaska sailing deposit we will forego until 2020 or 2021. Now I just need to figure out flights and wdw precruise for myself and dd2 and the rest will fly down Friday pm after school. yaaayy! What a great start to the Christmas holidays...and we get to celebrate the kids' bdays onboard.:banana:We are used to paying $10-12k for cruise/wdw trips, so only having to pay in the $2k range is HUUGGEE and I am hoping to cover incidentals with bank bonuses and discounted gift cards.

I also booked the hotel for the spring break ski trip I promised DH in compromise for sailing DCL again so soon. Used hilton points for that. Will grab flights next month when SW opens them up.

Now I need to get to work on my next cc opening plans to restock!
Congrats! Your December cruise sounds fantastic!! I can only imagine how it must have felt to wipe out that many URs all in one go. I just wiped mine out in the last month, spent them on a hotel in the UK and flights for my mom and nephew to Disneyland. It's so worth it though. I'm thrilled that we have these opportunities!

Can't wait to hear about your cruise. We've NEVER cruised before but it's something I'd consider in the future...after everything else on my bucket list though. Gotta get to work on those points, lol!

:rotfl2:

On a more personal note, my MIL is in the hospital and my wife had to fly back to Hawaii very suddenly over the weekend. Because we have stashes of points and miles, I was able to book her an award seat on Saturday night to fly out on Hawaiian the next morning. It cost us 25k HawaiianMiles and only $5.60, but cash fares were in the $600s. Holding down the fort here, and hoping seeing her daughter will help my MIL get better soon.

Sending good thoughts for your MIL and a speedy recovery.

Japan. MR is an ANA partner. its the best way to redeem a trip to Japan. I think its better doing direct to ANA instead of the Virgin Atantic route.
Cathay Pacific could also be a good one too to asia. Im not sure how their program is now though.

Now why'd you go and mention ANA again just when I was set on not pulling the trigger on a 5th Marriott travel Package? Suddenly another 132,000 United miles seems like a good plan B. Sigh ...

Ugh. I think I messed this up. I am still getting the two week message and now that we are late in the day, I have a feeling it won't be approved today. Guess I can still call recon. See if I can get anyone...

EDIT: I got someone in recon! Verified info...now waiting...

EDITED AGAIN: My address had the wrong state entered and it instantly got approved once we fixed it! Yay!

WhooHoo!! So glad you called. CONGRATS!! party:

@Lain prayers for you MIL :grouphug:

Well I did it. Now ya'll know my FOMO and FOUP (fear of using points). But I really did it. I booked the *GT rate for the 6 of us sailing 12/15/18! No refund, no changes. :faint:
I wiped out our URs...460k and paid the balance of $1800 on the CSR that I will reimburse myself from the Alaska sailing deposit we will forego until 2020 or 2021. Now I just need to figure out flights and wdw precruise for myself and dd2 and the rest will fly down Friday pm after school. yaaayy! What a great start to the Christmas holidays...and we get to celebrate the kids' bdays onboard.:banana:We are used to paying $10-12k for cruise/wdw trips, so only having to pay in the $2k range is HUUGGEE and I am hoping to cover incidentals with bank bonuses and discounted gift cards.

I also booked the hotel for the spring break ski trip I promised DH in compromise for sailing DCL again so soon. Used hilton points for that. Will grab flights next month when SW opens them up.

Now I need to get to work on my next cc opening plans to restock!
Now you have me wanting to book the Allure of the Seas for the end of this month for our final summer vacation. Only 154k URs for the 3 of us but I’m not sure DH would go for it though.

Now you have me wanting to book the Allure of the Seas for the end of this month for our final summer vacation. Only 154k URs for the 3 of us not sure DH would go for it though.

I've been eyeing cruises and reading up on the RC ships ever since we were chatting about it a couple of weeks ago. It won't happen for a bit but I'm so excited to get to take our first cruise! My aunt suggested Harmony (I think). Have you guys been on that one?

Ok, I have a P2 in the mix. I asked DH if he wanted a new business visa like me. He said “What’s my business? Monkey business?” I said...yep. So “he” applied for the CIP late this afternoon through my referral. Hoping approval goes smoothly and in time to use Plastiq for our humongous* car insurance yearly payment due end of August.

*2 adult drivers plus two teenage son drivers. :drive::faint:

I hope your teenagers don't drive as fast as you apply for new cards! Have you even had your CIP for a month yet? :car:

Both Sapphire cards will probably not be an option.$8k minimum spend is a bit much. $4k is totally doable. I am assuming based on redemption the CSR is the better of the two? If i can only apply for one is this the one to go for?. Since i am already at 4/24 would this not work because i would be applying for two and that would put me over?

I really like the freedom with the spending categories but not tied down to only use UR points. I do have a banking relationship with chase so that makes it easier.

That's where another double dip loophole comes in, because you apply for both cards on the same day, individually each application sees 4/24 and so you're good. After it you are now at 6/24 and locked out for most Chase cards until two cards age out. So you'd want to pick wisely :)

As for which Sapphire is better will depend on what you plan to use it for. If you have a travel redemption in mind the CSR is probably better even with the high AF. For $450 you get a $300 travel credit that will be automatically applied to any travel related charge until it's used up. We used most of ours on our EZPass toll charges that we were going to pay for anyway because of daily commutes. Because of that I consider it a $150 AF that I paid to get $750 worth of travel, because I will be using the points towards a cruise I have with Chase travel, giving me a net profit of $600. (My 50k sign up bonus x 1.5 cpp = $750) It also comes with a credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck if you have any interest in that. (If you planned to spend that money anyway then that effectively reduces the AF further. ) This card also earns at a 3x rate for travel and dining.

But if you don't have plans for the 1.5 cpp travel redemption, I might stick with the CSP even thought it only gets 2x earnings for travel and dining. It's the same 50k sign up bonus but the $95 AF is waived the first year, plus you have an opportunity for an extra 5k bonus if you add an AU and use that card during the first 3 months. I'd recommend not adding DH as the AU, maybe you have kids that can be added? Other trusted family members that don't play the CC game and wouldn't mind helping out? Perhaps the dog? If you're only after more points and only want one, that may be the way to go. A potentially free $550 to use as cashback or $687.50 for travel. Then if you decide later to have DH double dip, you can refer him to the CSP to get referral bonus on top and he'd apply outright for the CSR. (and vice versa if you decide on CSR)

Unless you want to go for Southwest points :) Can double dip both personal cards, but I'm not recommending it! Really just a random thought popped in for how to use the last possibly 2 slots at Chase with a lower spend requirement (each card is only 1 or 2k). Maybe someone else has another recommendation for a high earn card outside of Chase. Since you both already have the Hilton cards from AmEx, I'm drawing a blank :)

I signed up for Plastiq (yes used referral) and scheduled payment. It is set for automatic ACH withdrawal on Friday. I did it as ACH because when I entered the recipient that came up as an option, but now I am wondering if I messed up. When do you know a Plastiq payment fails? Is it when you initially schedule it or when the system tries to make the payment? If it fails do you get an email? Sorry dumb questions but just wondering if I should mess with it now or just be patient.

The bill isn't technically due until November (equity loan I have pre-paid) so I have time to wait and see what happens. I am just anxious to see if it will work! Good to have the October WDW trip paid for with UR's but my poor depleted UR stash is making me sad! :(

I totally missed that alcohol was included in QS meals. Just shows how little I pay attention to the dining plan. The day they make it a snack I think I'd be all over the plan then :laughing:

I tend to think of my points as money, and I'd come back to, would I be willing to pay $50/pp/per night for this? Is this money I would be spending anyway on meals, or would I be eating differently to get the best value? (Or do I want to splurge and eat differently this time and points allowed me to do so?)

Ha! Yes, the alcohol is a new addition this year and is what is making me reconsider the math of buying DDP. Looking at the menus of the places we are interested in, plus considering we're hoping to go during F&W, it looks like we could come out slightly ahead paying with points vs. out of pocket. I think it'll all hinge on what food and DDP prices are like whenever we are able to book, plus whatever our non-Disney travel plans at the time are. It's too far out to make a firm decision, but I was wanting to gather people's DPs on this particular type of redemption :)

For those that didn't see this back in March - here is where I discussed the CF/CFU back and forth game to generate a bunch of URs for low spend. This strategy would probably be for somebody who is a slow churner, doesn't think they'll butt up against 5/24, or aren't interested in non UR Chase cards. The above comments summarize it but basically in 2 player mode you could start without any CF or CFU cards and end up with 2 CF and 2 CFU cards and 96,500 URs for spending just $4,000. If you already have a CSR that makes this worth $1,447.50 towards travel (but remember you each used Two 5/24 slots to get there).

You could also then PC your CFU cards to CF and now you have 4 FREEDOMS...hello 5% categories ;) haha! At any rate...figured i'd post this "mini-strategy" again for those that may be interested.

EDIT: I now see this was 20,000 comments ago. We move fast, haha! That was just March!!
EDIT2: Keep in mind that you probably want to use the middle name trick for AUs here or something else...don't actually add your player 2 and vice versa as that will hit their 5/24 count.

I'm definitely interested in this strategy, so thanks for hunting down those old comments! DH has a CFU and I'm hoping he'll be up for getting a CF eventually, but I can't count on him being willing to be a P2 beyond that. I'll need a lengthy cooling-off period after my planned Sapphire double-dip in March-ish but I'll be at 3/24* after that and so I'm not sure if I should go for more personal cards or the other Inks (should have CIP and SW Biz by that point). I'm not super interested in any hotel- or airline-specific cards, since I like maximum flexibility in booking lodging, and domestic flights should be covered for a while with my SW cards. Any thoughts on how to balance velocity with Chase with this strategy and if one can/should sprinkle business card apps into the mix?

*Well, technically 5/24, but business cards don't *add* to 5/24, they just are subject to it, right? So I could still get a biz card after the Sapphire double-dip, because I'll only have three personal cards at that point, correct?

@SouthFayetteFan strategy update...for those who care (if you don't then...:P :P)

I am fast approaching my time to double dip. My wife is now 0/24 and has only 4 inquiries. Her Credit Report looks about as good as it could for somebody who actually got 5 cards in the past year, LOL! (And has 22 cards in her churning career). I've removed AUs, closed unneeded accounts, and trimmed Credit Limit also to clean everything up.

Her most recent inquiry is 4/5/18 from her CIP and although the account won't appear on her personal credit report, it was approved on 4/11/18. Soooo I think I'm going to wait until August 13th so it has been 4 months since that CIP was approved and then go for the CSR/CSP double dip. My brother-in-law can refer me to CSP but I am going to have a SUPER hard time choosing somebody's CSR link here...So many awesome contributors here...

Then I'm thinking that the $8k MSR will carry me until the end of the year with organic spend (may pickup some VGCs in November to carry us over through Dec.). I don't need the URs for our Disney Trip in Jan - just need the CSR to redeem the URs though. So these URs can start building towards something else...
How exciting, the DOUBLE DIP! I was thinking for awhile that I would just stay LOL/24 forever and not worry about the Chase cards, but seeing your success and with all the talk about the CIP, CIC, double dipping, etc, makes me want to dial it back a bit and see if I can get back under 5/24 in the future. I'd have to solely concentrate on Biz cards until March 2020, but maybe I can do it!! DH would be under 5/24 in Oct 2019, but he's still a fairly reluctant P2 so not sure I can push him in the double dip direction yet. You give me hope though!!

Ugh. I think I messed this up.

Literally 32 minutes ago.

And then:

YAY!! Approved!!!

With a ginormous credit limit...so let's see how the CSP goes...

INSTANT APPROVAL FOR CSP!!!

Well, that's exciting and a bit unexpected after the CSR application! So happy!!!

Congratulations on a successful double dip!

pixiedust:party:party:pixiedust:

P.S. As you may have read, Chase has been manually reducing credit lines on newly approved cards following a double dip. If you see that ginormous credit limit get slashed, don't worry, you've still got your cards and you'll get the two signup bonuses if you meet MSR. Chase is just mitigating their risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter