I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I applied about half the dues amount before they posted. It came of the top and then when January rolled around I owed a payment.

This year I'm waiting until they are posted and then I will pay down each of my four contracts until I've exhausted what I've collected.

That will give me more time to get the better gift card deals, plus earn a few cards.

Edit: If you have enough cards to pay the whole year, it should be fine to pay at any time. I've never had enough cards to do that. So far I've been able to keep above 10% by collecting as I go along.
Thanks. Glad I asked. I do not have enough to pay the whole amount. I will wait.

The Fidelity ATM card will be a good back-up to my Schwab. I noticed that it said there's a 1% foreign transaction fee, but I see many reports that doesn't apply to ATM withdrawals, only debit card purchases.
I've used the Fidelity debit card a few times at ATMs and no extra fees. The amount charged was basically the xe.com rate, so no extra fees and prompt ATM fee reimbursement.

What I've liked about Fidelity over my Schwab is their money transfer speed. I don't usually keep cash in the CMA, ironically, so I'm sometimes transferring money last minute. Fidelity is usually cleared within a day and available for withdrawal. Schwab IME is the more typical 2-3 day speed. Also, IIRC Schwab reimburses the fees at the end of the statement whereas Fidelity does it after the transaction, so within a few days that money is available again.

Have not used either for a purchase so no info on any other fees that might differentiate. But ATM use is pretty equal so you can't go wrong with either.

Never tried it, so no first hand knowledge. But I think the change wouldn't take effect until the next statement. Was that how it worked for you?
With Hubby's app, we had time so we called and fixed everything a full billing cycle early.

I also wanted my card to close quickly so that I could start December spending that would count for January. I called to ask for a new closing date assuming they would short cycle my card (would have been a 10 day cycle) and then I could spend. Instead, they extended mine out (ended up with a first statement covering about 5.5 weeks) and my first due date was in mid-January. So, I *think* they would do something similar for OP if he had time to call and give him an extended first cycle such that the first closing date was out to January and no points would post in December.

Does anyone know how to check on the status of an Amex biz checking account app? I jumped on the 60K offer last week and it went pending, something along the lines of "we'll let you know." I haven't seen any notification, and the 1st requirement is deposit w/in 20 days.

2nd question - has anyone travelled to Tulum with kids? We are looking at a family trip to Tulum and wondering if there are recs for kid-friendly resorts and what might be the best way to see the pyramids? We'd prefer not to rent a car / drive. Bonus if anyone has stayed at the Waldorf or Conrad as we're partial to Hilton.

I mentioned looking for a Princess offer. I have the HAL one, RCCL, NCL, Carnival and a few of the smaller, upscale lines, but not one for Princess!
yes! ok princess ill keep an eye out its been a while, I remember telling my parents last time it came up.

tenor.gif
@becauseimnew - hard to tell. This is from April and was his mean girls response to @PolyRob who we also see little off. It was his last post as far as I can tell.

SFF had quite a few life changes - new baby boy, new job and new house. Sounds like enough to keep anyone busy.

If when the time comes there is no action, I'm sure most would appreciate a new thread being started. SFF wasn't the original. It was @FairestOfThemAll37 back in 2016.

@becauseimnew - hard to tell. This is from April and was his mean girls response to @PolyRob who we also see little off. It was his last post as far as I can tell.

SFF had quite a few life changes - new baby boy, new job and new house. Sounds like enough to keep anyone busy.

If when the time comes there is no action, I'm sure most would appreciate a new thread being started. SFF wasn't the original. It was @FairestOfThemAll37 back in 2016.

Just a matter of starting the new thread and then contacting webmasterdoc to close this thread. There's a few useful posts on the first page that should get moved over, no idea if all of it's accurate, but at least the info needed post needs to be moved. Haven't looked at the 1st page since we were posting on it :teeth:

Just a matter of starting the new thread and then contacting webmasterdoc to close this thread. There's a few useful posts on the first page that should get moved over, no idea if all of it's accurate, but at least the info needed post needs to be moved. Haven't looked at the 1st page since we were posting on it :teeth:

I'm not sure contacting Doc will help. Haven't seen any activity from him in about a year. Sure hope he's still doing well!

However one of these @webmaster Alex, Corey, John, Jackie, Maryjo, Kathy, Pete, might be able to help. Since we rarely get looked in on with any comments I'm not sure who is our current contact.

PS: not stalking these members. I just did searches when the question was posted.

I'm not sure contacting Doc will help. Haven't seen any activity from him in about a year. Sure hope he's still doing well!

However one of these @webmaster Alex, Corey, John, Jackie, Maryjo, Kathy, Pete, might be able to help. Since we rarely get looked in on with any comments I'm not sure who is our current contact.

PS: not stalking these members. I just did searches when the question was posted.

That was just who I remember him tagging. I think it would be best to message someone that's active to see who can do it vs tagging someone random. Mary Jo is the most active from your list and then Jackie. The others don't post much and I don't know what they can do it. Not sure MJ or Jackie can. I know mods can only do their own board but they can at least let you know who to contact. Or someone just reports it and ask that it be closed, may take longer that way though.

2022 Travel Hacking Recap

We are done traveling for the year so I wanted to share how we did this year. Our big trips this year were to Hawaii & Paris, but we did lots of smaller trips: Seattle, San Diego, Kansas City, Carnival Cruise, Sacramento, funeral trip to Mexico (just me) and our anniversary trip to Alila Ventana Big Sur.

Hotel/Cruise nights: 40
One-way plane tickets: 53
Car rental days: 11
Cash spent on food, excursion, misc travel items: $14,940
Credit card fees: $3,500
TOTAL: $18,440
Chase PYB: $6,440
Cashed in MRs: $600
Credit Card offers: $1,920 (the big ones were $450 from Amex Verizon $75/$150, $250 from Chase ATT Fiber) I track all offers in our vacation fund since we pay for all credit card fees from our vacation fund.

Total CASH for 2022 vacations $6,960
But we've also already paid for some of 2023 travel ($3,940)
In 2022, we spent $10,900 on travel expenditures.

We are done traveling for the year so I wanted to share how we did this year. Our big trips this year were to Hawaii & Paris, but we did lots of smaller trips: Seattle, San Diego, Kansas City, Carnival Cruise, Sacramento, funeral trip to Mexico (just me) and our anniversary trip to Alila Ventana Big Sur.

Credit Card offers: $1,920 (the big ones were $450 from Amex Verizon $75/$150, $250 from Chase ATT Fiber) I track all offers in our vacation fund since we pay for all credit card fees from our vacation fund.

I'm going to try this for next year but I did do it for Hyatt globalist. of our 17 stays i got upgraded 11 times to a suite. 1 time was declined, got the room upgraded 2 times so about 75% I also saved 2400$ in resort fees, and at breakfast at 10$ a pop im at 740$.

I'm going to try this for next year but I did do it for Hyatt globalist. of our 17 stays i got upgraded 11 times to a suite. 1 time was declined, got the room upgraded 2 times so about 75% I also saved 2400$ in resort fees, and at breakfast at 10$ a pop im at 740$.
I'm going to miss being a Globalist. I didn't account for all the savings from the Globalist benefits.

Does anyone know how to check on the status of an Amex biz checking account app? I jumped on the 60K offer last week and it went pending, something along the lines of "we'll let you know." I haven't seen any notification, and the 1st requirement is deposit w/in 20 days.

2nd question - has anyone travelled to Tulum with kids? We are looking at a family trip to Tulum and wondering if there are recs for kid-friendly resorts and what might be the best way to see the pyramids? We'd prefer not to rent a car / drive. Bonus if anyone has stayed at the Waldorf or Conrad as we're partial to Hilton.

We love Tulum for a family and have been recently. You can peek at my Tulum trip report in my signature; we stayed at the new Conrad and it was great for families. If you have an Amex plat, check out the FHR promos- there were really great ones for the Conrad with the 3rd night free and much bettter priced than using points, but it will vary by the time of year you are going.

You don't mention which pyramids, so I'll give you info on all three archeological sites:
- Tulum. Easy peasy- grab a cab at the hotel. Go as early as you can- it gets hot and busy. Buy tickets online in advance if you can. Tip- tons of iguanas there and they like bananas.
- Coba. About 45 min drive. This is one of my favorite sites. You can still climb the main pyramid, which is steep and quite the accomplishment. The view from the top is amazing. To get around the site, you can rent bicycles, or if your kids are younger, you can rent a bicycle taxi (rickshaw) for a very reasonable amount.
- ChichenItza- one of the seven wonders of the world. Everyone should visit at least once and hiring a guide onsite is easy. Hot and sunny.

For Coba and ChickenItza, if you don't care to drive, I like to use entertainmentplus/USA transfers to hire a car/driver for the day. They are also great for airport transfers. They do shared tours too.

LMK if you have other questions. I could talk about Tulum all day.

@NewbieMom

FHR offer:

Conrad Tulum Riviera Maya​

Receive a complimentary third night add a US$275 property credit when booking a stay of at least 3 nights at Conrad Tulum Riviera Maya. To take advantage of this offer, book from 01OCT22 through 31DEC22 for hotel stays from 01OCT22 and completed by 31MAR23. In addition, enjoy these valuable benefits with each Fine Hotels + Resorts® booking: 12pm check-in, when available, Room upgrade upon arrival, when available (certain room categories are not eligible for upgrade), Daily breakfast for two people, Complimentary Wi-Fi, Guaranteed 4pm late checkout, and

I love these posts at the end of the year. I wish I was more meticulous with tracking all the things. I’m usually aware at the time of the trip how much we’ve spent /saved, but never actually track it. All I know is that this year we took so many amazing trips thanks to the information I started learning right here a few years ago.

*Dec/Jan ‘22 Maui 7 nights Grand Wailea

*Mar.’22. Zion 3 nights Cliffrose Resort

*May/June ‘22. 9 nights Maui- 3 Hana Resort & 6 Puunoa Beach Estates (Hyatts)

*June ‘22 Disneyland 3 nights Marriott

*July ‘22 Solana Beach 3 nights Marriott

*October ‘22 Disney World 5 nights Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek

*Nov ‘22 Maui 5 nights Marriott

Yep folks we went to Maui 3x this year thanks to miles and points. Life is great!

A reminder the 25% AirFrance/KLM Flying Blue transfer bonuses from Amex and CapitalOne are ending `12/7.

OMAAT is reporting the AirFrance website actually works for rewards searches after being a mess for several years. Remember how it would error out (spin) after doing one reward search, which you couldn't modify. The work around had been to use the app, but it's great to have the website actually function.

ETA: Disregard, AF is still a joke.

Last edited:
I asked this within a whole other complicated question, so I think it got missed. If dd applies for MR card (so she can get the Amex bank bonus and put her MR"s there to transfer to Delta) and she gets the popup, can she say yes and still get the card and just not earn a bonus?

Quick recap on my last 2 hotel stays. From Vienna ds and I took the train to Salzburg. Ride was uneventful, I really love train travel in Europe.

I had booked the Goldener Hersch (Marriott Luxury Collection) last January for a sweet price (270 Euros / night for a Jr. Ste applied $200.00 plat travel credit and also got $100.00 F&B credit); ds’s room I booked using AAA rate on Marriottdotcom for 225Euros (was selling for 550Euros by September) for a King deluxe room (this room was upgraded prior to arrival to a Jr. Ste). I may have set my expectations too high for this hotel since I followed it from renovation to opening a few yrs ago. It is a lovely property a few mins walk from the historic square (it is on one of the main pedestrian streets). BUT and this was huge problem for me, my room was next to a room (shared wall by my headboard) called the bibliotheque (translated to library from French, so I thought nothing of it). However it turns out that this room is a room that private parties can rent for, well, parties. And unfortunately for me there was a VERY loud party in that room when ds and I came back from dinner on Friday night. When I say loud, I mean loud music, people laughing, cheering, yelling and generally doing things that people do when they are drinking and having a good time. Which is great for them, for me in my room, not at all. I may as well have been in the room with them, so loud was the noise. This went on until after 11:30pm, at which time the party continued out in the hallway right.outside.my.room. Actually a few times people tried to access my room by turning the handle, why I have not a clue, but it was a bit scary for me each time. The front desk offered to move me, but since we were only there for 2 nights and I had already unpacked, this was not a palatable option for me. Ugh. I wasn’t a happy customer. However it is really a lovely property. The breakfast was probably the worst of our trip so far. A rather small buffet with very lackluster service. I cannot rave about the food — scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon, some cereal, cold meats and cheeses, fresh pineapple, grapefruit and blueberries and a few fruit juices. When I compare it to the Matild Palace in Budapest it pales in comparison. It is more in line with an upscale Holiday Inn. I would stay here again, but I would temper my expectations drastically.

6D2E0CF9-DB2C-4F26-A929-75BC9807C0F8.jpeg6828C967-5E61-4E44-B7B8-33A272EED50B.jpeg639CC999-FADD-4F9C-A542-66BF8F2B2280.jpeg38D5CFB4-3D1A-49B0-9CF5-F66D3175A50D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter