I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am new here and looking for some advice. I have to pay my younger daughter's school tuition in September (~$20k) and can do so by credit card with no fee! I would like to use that large purchase as an opportunity to reach MSR for a new card. I would like advice on what the best option would be.

Upcoming travel includes a trip to Hawaii and one to Thailand - no set dates, likely over the next two years or so.

I would also like to use this opportunity to achieve status with an airline or hotel chain, or generally anything that enhances the travel experience (vs. getting stuff for free). I was tempted with the idea of using the purchase to try and reach Mosaic status on JetBlue, since I like to travel with them whenever possible.

Other recurring trips include yearly visit to Disney (always rent DVC points for our accommodations) and yearly trip to Universal (stay at Hard Rock).

Here are my recent card approvals and have no other credit cards.
12/21 - CAPITAL ONE Venture X card
1/22 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Plus card

P2 is an authorized user on both.

We typically spend ~$10k/month and pay the cards in full each month. We fly from Boston's Logan airport. We like to fly JetBlue whenever possible. Then by order of preference it would be Delta, United and AA. I have to travel occasionally for work but always need to book with corporate card. Southwest does fly from Logan but it is rarely the best option for us. My travel party is Dear Husband, along with our two daughters (5 and 7).

Finally, here is my points balance across various programs:
- World of Hyatt - 8217
- Marriott - 15,428
- Hilton, 5367
- Delta - 4097
- United - 37,140
- American - 15,524
- JetBlue - 53,503

Thanks in advance for the help!

Anne

Thanks for the input. I wonder if the store that you're shopping has a big impact? I was looking at Publix on Instacart versus Walmart delivery. Something like a package of cinnamon raisin bread or English muffins was $5 each with Publix/Instacart versus under $3 at Walmart. That adds up fast if you're buying enough for a family of 5 to eat breakfast throughout a park trip.

Even with the delivery fee waived and the $10 credit, Instacart seems like it's going to come in super high if the individual items are all $1-2 more. Does anyone know if this is Publix specific?

I can tell you that it is similar to what I've seen with Costco prices and since Costco sells larger quantity items, it's even higher.

Usually it looks like about 20% tacked on each item. Then there are the other fees. Since my little trip sometimes adds to $300 to $400, it's much less to go by myself and get my own stuff.

What I've observed is they won't bring me ordinary stuff that I buy such as Pepperidge farm sandwich bread, brie cheese, to mention 2 things. Not on their list on the website.

In the vein of scam communication, I received some trash mail yesterday telling me specific numbers of my credit card debt and what they can reduce it to. There is only a Toll free number, no company name, but they try to make it look like a government issued 'certified benefits statement'.

I have no debt and certainly no credit card debt so it's all made up, but for the person who does have outstanding debt, I guess they might reel in a fish or two.

I'm pretty good at standing at the trash can and tearing this stuff up, but this was official looking enough for me to actually open it. So much garbage....

Hello! I am new here and looking for some advice. I have to pay my younger daughter's school tuition in September (~$20k) and can do so by credit card with no fee! I would like to use that large purchase as an opportunity to reach MSR for a new card. I would like advice on what the best option would be.

Upcoming travel includes a trip to Hawaii and one to Thailand - no set dates, likely over the next two years or so.

I would also like to use this opportunity to achieve status with an airline or hotel chain, or generally anything that enhances the travel experience (vs. getting stuff for free). I was tempted with the idea of using the purchase to try and reach Mosaic status on JetBlue, since I like to travel with them whenever possible.

Other recurring trips include yearly visit to Disney (always rent DVC points for our accommodations) and yearly trip to Universal (stay at Hard Rock).

Here are my recent card approvals and have no other credit cards.
12/21 - CAPITAL ONE Venture X card
1/22 - BARCLAYS JetBlue Plus card

P2 is an authorized user on both.

We typically spend ~$10k/month and pay the cards in full each month. We fly from Boston's Logan airport. We like to fly JetBlue whenever possible. Then by order of preference it would be Delta, United and AA. I have to travel occasionally for work but always need to book with corporate card. Southwest does fly from Logan but it is rarely the best option for us. My travel party is Dear Husband, along with our two daughters (5 and 7).

Finally, here is my points balance across various programs:
- World of Hyatt - 8217
- Marriott - 15,428
- Hilton, 5367
- Delta - 4097
- United - 37,140
- American - 15,524
- JetBlue - 53,503

Thanks in advance for the help!

Anne
From a maximizing benefits standpoint, I would strongly recommend using the 20k payment to hit one or more minimum spending requirements. While you have a large organic spend each month (so less need to use a random charge to meet MSRs), it's still going to provide more travel value over time than airline status IMO. Are you willing to delve into business cards (which tend to have the higher MSRs)? If not, then you could look to your favorite airlines or hotels for their point currencies. Delta may be a backup option given its presence at BOS and you may consider the American Express Platinum (personal) card to unlock Delta Sky Lounge access (DH and daughter would cost $39 for access). I would wait on the Delta cards themselves though as they just dropped from their elevated offers (which tend to come back later in the year and Amex is a once per lifetime rule for getting card types). Membership Rewards transfer directly to Delta 1:1, so you could look at the American Express Platinum and the Gold charge cards. The Resy offers have a comparable sign up bonus with a spending bonus for restaurants: https://resy.com/amex-offers?date=2022-08-09&seats=2

Alternatively, P2 could go for the JetBlue card(s) from Barclay himself and hope to reach Mosaic through spend (college + 3 months of organic). The only complicating factor is whether they give him a large enough CL. Your spend gives you unlimited options for cards, it's just a matter of what you're willing to do and want to do. I'm jealous lol.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if the store that you're shopping has a big impact? I was looking at Publix on Instacart versus Walmart delivery. Something like a package of cinnamon raisin bread or English muffins was $5 each with Publix/Instacart versus under $3 at Walmart. That adds up fast if you're buying enough for a family of 5 to eat breakfast throughout a park trip.

Even with the delivery fee waived and the $10 credit, Instacart seems like it's going to come in super high if the individual items are all $1-2 more. Does anyone know if this is Publix specific?
I would not be surprised if all stores had higher prices through these services. I was given the store sale price on my coffee order from Safeway. The service fee was reduced from $3 to $1.50. There was tax, they charged me 5¢ for the bag, gave me a $2.00 discount for using a longer delivery window. Still the only way this is worth it for me is the $15 monthly CSR credit.

I’m looking to transfer some of my CIP credit limit over to a CIC. What’s the minimum I need to leave behind on my CIP? When my CIP anniversary hits, I want to downgrade it to another CIC, so I do want to leave behind enough credit limit so that won’t be an issue. Thanks!

Question, what is the point of where paying tuition with a CC fee makes sense? My daughter's tuition is all covered by grants/scholarships, but there is a balance showing now before the money goes into her account next week. There is a 2.9% fee to use a card, if I could open one asap to meet the MSR, would that be worth it? The scholarship money would then be refunded to me to pay off the card. Thanks for any input!

Question, what is the point of where paying tuition with a CC fee makes sense? My daughter's tuition is all covered by grants/scholarships, but there is a balance showing now before the money goes into her account next week. There is a 2.9% fee to use a card, if I could open one asap to meet the MSR, would that be worth it? The scholarship money would then be refunded to me to pay off the card. Thanks for any input!

Most subs make it worth it but you've got to do the math. It's also generally a way people meet bigger subs, like amex biz plat. Or a CIP. Cards you wouldn't be able to do with just normal spend.

Most subs make it worth it but you've got to do the math. It's also generally a way people meet bigger subs, like amex biz plat. Or a CIP. Cards you wouldn't be able to do with just normal spend.

I should have added this; I promised my daughter a trip to Japan in business class as a college grad trip, she will graduate in spring 2025, so still have some time, but should probably be ready to book in spring of 2024. So I guess my goal would be to amass enough points to do this. I know I can transfer MR to ANA but not UR, so maybe I should look at another Amex card, I had my eye on a Chase biz card.

I should have added this; I promised my daughter a trip to Japan in business class as a college grad trip, she will graduate in spring 2025, so still have some time, but should probably be ready to book in spring of 2024. So I guess my goal would be to amass enough points to do this. I know I can transfer MR to ANA but not UR, so maybe I should look at another Amex card, I had my eye on a Chase biz card.

You could try for the Amex Business Plat. There's a 170K MRs targeted offer out there but standard is around 150K. That should get you pretty far towards your goal.

ETA - even with a 2.9% fee, I think 170K MR is worth way more than what you pay in fees. Just make sure the college takes Amex.

The rule is for new accounts, not inquiries. With a deposit account, the rule is 7/12. As far as I can tell, BoA is not that inquiry sensitive. Which credit report(s) did they pull for you? They only pulled TU for me, which hardly has any pulls on it since only Barclays pulls that.

So I did a little more digging on r/churning since I'm thinking of getting DH the card and he has no BoA accounts. It looks like with no deposit accounts, approval is unpredictable. Some get instant approval, some denied, and others are asked to open a CD to secure the cc. Some think a biz deposit account is better for biz cc, but it was more in terms of getting many biz ccs. You do have to wait a bit after opening the deposit account. There are DPs of people applying too soon after and getting denied. Saw 1 DP that suggested 30 days. It might be possible to recon around that.
Did you app for your DH? Coming back to report they denied my app for a checking account! It said to go in a financial center for further assistance. I think I'm just calling it quits on them. I don't really want to go in and talk to someone.

Is there a certain cruise line? With the exception of DCL, Chase URs can be used for cruises by calling. I went this way once but have since used CruiseCompete.com for the lower pricing and just figure out a way math out covering the cost of the cruise.
This is how I have mainly used my UR's with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. A $3000 cruise would cost me $2000 (200,000 UR's). I would find the cruise I want then call Chase and tell them the cruise and cabin #. Saved lots of $$ booking my cruises with UR's - (If you have the CSR at 1.5 value or CSP at 1.25 Value).

Sounds like getting one of the Amex Plat (biz or personal) would fit best with your plans, especially if you need it in your hands ASAP to pay the bill - Amex usually has those cards to you within 48 hours. If you've never had the personal version, the Resy 125K MR + 10x restaurants for $6K MSR is still available; that's probably the best SUB:MSR for MRs currently. Or you can look for a higher Biz Plat SUB but the spend is higher.

As to whether or not it's worth it, I did the 150K /$15K NLL Biz Plat offer and paid 2.85% using Plastiq to pay for tuition (they send a check and it can take up to a couple weeks). I've paid $324 in fees, but have gotten $1478 equivalent cash back (I have a Schwab Plat) since paying tuition took care of a huge chunk of my MSR. And that's not including the Dell credits and airline reimbursement that I'll be using up for this year and next before closing the card.

Did you app for your DH? Coming back to report they denied my app for a checking account! It said to go in a financial center for further assistance. I think I'm just calling it quits on them. I don't really want to go in and talk to someone.

Did you go for a personal or biz checking?

I'm still thinking about the card for DH, but not that motivated to get it. I hate denials and not sure if I really want the extra MSR right now.

Did you go for a personal or biz checking?

I'm still thinking about the card for DH, but not that motivated to get it. I hate denials and not sure if I really want the extra MSR right now.

Biz - I was thinking that would tie in / increase my chances for the biz card. I hate denials too, and they're the only bank I've been denied! Should I attempt the personal? Or that's too much within a couple days?

or if the college allows taking $200 VGC/MCGCs haha. earning 5%, net you 2%. in a way, you are also buying points at a certain amount. you can calculate the point cost and see if its worth it to you to buy points this way. If it doesnt make sense, then its not worth it. When i paid my college fees, the 2.9% wasnt worth it. i just drew from my checking account. although first payment i made was with a biz plat for over 5k which net me 1.5x and i was working on a bonus as well so it was worth the 2.9%.
but there is also things to consider like time and gas and effort.

I received the offer for Instacart + on my CSP for quarterly benefit 'up to' $15 per quarter. I'm trying to read to find out how much you have to spend in a quarter to actually get $15. Has anyone figured this out? Also, it's a free membership for 6 months and then it's $99 a year - that I got in the fine print.

This is what the email I received says. It doesn't specify dollar amount. I am assuming it's spend $15 to "erase" $15.

Statement Credit on Instacart Purchases: Earn up to $15 per calendar quarter (for Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire cardmembers) in statement credits on qualifying Instacart purchases from 8/1/2022 through 7/31/2024 when you activate a complimentary Chase Instacart+ membership on Instacart.com/Chase with your eligible Chase credit card. Calendar quarters are Jan – March, April – June, July – September, October – December, and the partial calendar quarters at the beginning and end of the promotional period. You can check the status of your enrollment in the Chase benefit within the Instacart+ section of the Instacart mobile app. You will continue to receive statement credit benefits regardless of whether you choose to renew your Instacart+ membership at the end of your complimentary period. Qualifying Instacart purchases include only those orders purchased by you, or an authorized user, with a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire credit card through Instacart.com or the Instacart mobile application (gift cards excluded). Statement credit(s) will post to your account within 48 hours of your qualifying Instacart purchase posting to your account and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles. Statement credits will be issued for the calendar quarter in which the transaction posts to your account. For example, if you pay for an Instacart order, but Instacart does not post the transaction until after the current calendar quarter ends, the cost of the Instacart purchase will be allocated towards the next calendar quarter's maximum, or will not qualify if the promotional period has ended. If you change to another Chase credit card during the promotional period, your benefits may change. Mobile applications, websites and other information provided by Instacart are not within Chase's control and may or may not be available in Spanish. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or the failure to provide, Instacart benefits and services. Accounts must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit posts to your account

this is posted on TPG Facebook group, for places that require a chip & pin
If your credit card doesn’t have a PIN, I found that you can enter any 4 numbers when it asks for a PIN, and it will accept it. This was with a Chase/Visa card.

A could of people confirmed. Anyone on here can confirm?
this worked for me in france sorry was on the wish catching up.

If you did mean disappear from your Chase app, I'm pretty sure you have it hide it or it will hang around indefinitely. I had a PCed card that was there for months before I finally realized there was an option to hide.
is there a way to reorganize them based on the cards you use like the star with amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter