I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone book on Aer Lingus? I am trying to book my DD on the same flights as her school group and they are way cheaper on Aer Lingus than booking through British Airways. Any downsides on booking these Aer Lingus flights through the Chase portal on points? She will be flying from ATL to DUB. The flight to London is on BA and the flight to DUB is on Aer Lingus.

I listed an extra set of Harry tickets on StubHub and they sold, so I was excited.....then I found out you don't get paid until a week after the concert! So that'll be MID-OCT! UGH!

That's a somewhat new thing that started last year maybe? It can be frustrating. I always have to mark my calendar to know when to expect the pay out. Right now I've got Hamilton (touring) tickets (purchased before the pandemic, rescheduled twice, and the people we were going with can't go), a NHL playoff game (that should come this week tho), and a July concert (we were going to make a quick long weekend to MSP to a concert + a quick nearby family visit but the prices of car rentals and airfare are crazy so we canceled).

This $100+ gas fill up has me spiraling. My 17yo likes to be lazy. She currently has $400 in her checking account, but $1200 in Harry Styles tickets! I owe my mom and sister $400/ea. Then the rest were on my credit cards. She refs soccer, but hasn't wanted to do it lately. And she THINKS she's going to spend her summer traveling (like 3 weeks in TX w/ her BFFs for example). So she's like I can't get a "real" summer job. I listed an extra set of Harry tickets on StubHub and they sold, so I was excited.....then I found out you don't get paid until a week after the concert! So that'll be MID-OCT! UGH!

I totally applied to both the Hilton and Hyatt Jobs. I told my 17yo at the point I'm applying for a second job, she needs to start to cover some expenses herself. I need to do some new bank bonuses too right now. I'm planning on canceling cable this month and having my mom sign up for a new account at my house. It'll get me 2 years of Internet only for $50/mo! My mom already made the move to YouTube TV and can share her account w/ me. So that will save me $80/mo (or almost 1 fill up, grrrr!).

I will say I'm grateful for my hacking though. It's getting the BF and I a vaca at the end of this month (my cancelled NC trip) (using his flight bennies, and 4 FNC, it will be a very cheap trip) and the trip to NC in Aug w/ the kids. I really need to find some side hustles. And look at other things I can cut from my budget. Adulting sucks!

Not sure what you are doing for groceries, but I have been doing a combination of meeting MSRs, fuel points, GC purchases, etc to save/earn about 37%. So I'll buy a $250 GC for Instacart from Kroger when they are running their 4x fuel points sale. At Instacart I earn both a rebate back and Delta SkyMiles. We fill up both cars at the pump and save $35 using our fuel points. Right now I have a free express membership at Instacart (I primarily use Aldi- so also super cheap).

Savings and earnings on a $250 Instacart GC
Savings/EarningsPoints Value
SUB (prorated)
2500​
URs$ 37.50
category UR earned (1x)
250​
URs$ 3.75
4x fuel point savings$ 35.00
Instacart Express 5 % rebate$ 12.50
Delta Skymiles linked to Instacart (1.5 miles/$)
375​
SkyMiles$ 4.88
$ 47.50$ 46.13
37%​
savings/earnings on grocery spend

turo strikes again 230$ cheaper for a 3-day weekend and a 30$ Amex rebate.
Is the "Amex rebate" one of their offers? I'll have to check mine and DH cards. I'm going to look into Turo for our Yellowstone trip!

ETA: Oh bummer, I just realized one way bookings aren't available on Turo Makes sense but I hadn't thought about it. Maybe I'll look into it for another trip though. Didn't have a Turo offer on either card, or Walmart offers either for that matter. :(

Last edited:
Anyone book on Aer Lingus? I am trying to book my DD on the same flights as her school group and they are way cheaper on Aer Lingus than booking through British Airways. Any downsides on booking these Aer Lingus flights through the Chase portal on points? She will be flying from ATL to DUB. The flight to London is on BA and the flight to DUB is on Aer Lingus.

Booking through the portal is like booking a cash ticket, so if she needs to cancel she'll likely get a voucher. But check the cancellation policy, I know things are changing after September 30. Plus any issues or changes, you'll have to go through Chase. Lots of reports of headaches with that.

It would be worth checking how much it is to book with Avios miles, though taxes on BA flights are notoriously high. There is a 30% Chase transfer bonus to BA Avios right now.

Yes, she will get the bonus after you meet the MSR.
Phew! Thank you! I was worried there. I just also remembered that there's Peleton credit for the CSP, right? My daughter is so excited for her first real card. She had the Discover Student before.

Booking through the portal is like booking a cash ticket, so if she needs to cancel she'll likely get a voucher. But check the cancellation policy, I know things are changing after September 30. Plus any issues or changes, you'll have to go through Chase. Lots of reports of headaches with that.

It would be worth checking how much it is to book with Avios miles, though taxes on BA flights are notoriously high. There is a 30% Chase transfer bonus to BA Avios right now.
Thanks! There aren't any award tickets on Avios - either with BA or AL. The flight is in 2 1/2 weeks. I thought she had a ticket with the group, but she doesn't!! Do you think it would be better to book directly with Aer Lingus than paying with points on Chase?

Thanks! There aren't any award tickets on Avios - either with BA or AL. The flight is in 2 1/2 weeks. I thought she had a ticket with the group, but she doesn't!! Do you think it would be better to book directly with Aer Lingus than paying with points on Chase?

I think it depends on how much you want to use up the points. Booking direct cuts out the middle man, any issues or changes you can deal directly with Aer Lingus.

Global entry is fast pass through US Customs (coming from abroad) you also get TSA precheck for 5 years with it.
Clear is only available in the US at a some airports and some big venues (stadiums), you use biometrics for your identity (no ID needed) then they walk you to the precheck line, but doesn’t get you precheck.
You have to apply for GE, then go for an interview - sometimes hard to get appointments depends on where you live, but the interview can also be done when you enter the country.
Clear takes 5 minutes to set up.
Do you know if you can get Global Entry if you already have TSA Precheck? Not sure if it would give you a different known traveler number with precheck or cause issues.

Is the "Amex rebate" one of their offers? I'll have to check mine and DH cards. I'm going to look into Turo for our Yellowstone trip!

ETA: Oh bummer, I just realized one way bookings aren't available on Turo Makes sense but I hadn't thought about it. Maybe I'll look into it for another trip though. Didn't have a Turo offer on either card, or Walmart offers either for that matter. :(
yeah it was an AMEX offer for 30$ im glad to see that hertz came down a little though maybe they realized they are charging way too much :) I still remember getting a malibu and a free upgrade for 120 a week and this wasn't that long ago this was 2019.

Do you know if you can get Global Entry if you already have TSA Precheck? Not sure if it would give you a different known traveler number with precheck or cause issues.

You can because they aren't the same thing. It does seem that once you have some type of border entry then you can get another. I have nexus and was going to do ge in case my Nexus didn't renew or required an in person which has caused delays. But it wouldn't let me do ge.

If it gives a new number just update it. It will still have the precheck so the old number wouldn't be needed and you wouldn't need to renew it as long as you have ge. And you may not be able to renew it with ge active. Pretty sure all 4 programs are on the same page so they are linked and they know what you have when you are logged into the site.

I think you can make sure you can burn a credit I would just wait until pre-check was over instead of going through the process again.

You can because they aren't the same thing. It does seem that once you have some type of border entry then you can get another. I have nexus and was going to do ge in case my Nexus didn't renew or required an in person which has caused delays. But it wouldn't let me do ge.

If it gives a new number just update it. It will still have the precheck so the old number wouldn't be needed and you wouldn't need to renew it as long as you have ge. And you may not be able to renew it with ge active. Pretty sure all 4 programs are on the same page so they are linked and they know what you have when you are logged into the site.
I didn't know this! I was thinking of getting Nexus because we have relatives in Canada. Does this mean we can't apply for Nexus too? We are about 1 year in with GE.

I would NOT book flights through the Chase portal. there are hundreds of horror stories, Chase isn't flexible when it comes to flights, it seems that they have their own terms and conditions even if you book a "refundable" flight. Unless you at okay losing out points if the flight doesn't happen.

I did this because I wanted GE for travel w/ the BF, plus I was cancelling the card I had a free GE credit on. My TSA expires this year, and I obv won't extend it. My GE I got last year, so I had a year of overlap and I've used both numbers on trips in the past year, LOL.

Not sure what you are doing for groceries, but I have been doing a combination of meeting MSRs, fuel points, GC purchases, etc to save/earn about 37%. So I'll buy a $250 GC for Instacart from Kroger when they are running their 4x fuel points sale. At Instacart I earn both a rebate back and Delta SkyMiles. We fill up both cars at the pump and save $35 using our fuel points. Right now I have a free express membership at Instacart (I primarily use Aldi- so also super cheap).

Savings and earnings on a $250 Instacart GC
Savings/EarningsPoints Value
SUB (prorated)
2500​
URs$ 37.50
category UR earned (1x)
250​
URs$ 3.75
4x fuel point savings$ 35.00
Instacart Express 5 % rebate$ 12.50
Delta Skymiles linked to Instacart (1.5 miles/$)
375​
SkyMiles$ 4.88
$ 47.50$ 46.13
37%​
savings/earnings on grocery spend
I've been meaning to try and get better and getting GCs when it's 4x fuel at Kroger. But my Costco and Sam's are normally 20-50 cents less per gallon than Kroger. So I feel like that almost makes it not worth messing with it all. I mean I paid $4.39 at Costco and Kroger was $4.79.

I think you can make sure you can burn a credit I would just wait until pre-check was over instead of going through the process again.
I have multiple cards that offer a credit for Precheck or Global Entry. I went with Precheck because I didn't think I would need Global Entry. Now it's possible that I'll be traveling to London in October so I wanted to get Global Entry if I could because it won't cost me anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter