I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happened to check AA and found JAL biz flights for our outbound! :cheer2: Pretty sure I didn't see it before, so maybe a cancellation or hold release. We have to leave 2 days later than I wanted, but thinking it's worth it. Flight is out of Seattle, but was able to get the connecting on the same ticket. Was short 1445 miles lol, so I transferred from Bonvoy. Hope it makes it over in 48 hours, which is supposed to be the usual case. Otherwise, buying for $75 or transferring from DH for $30 isn't too bad. The AA 5 day hold is very nice. First time using the Bonvoy transfer and was happy to see that they don't make you do it in increments of 1000 and I could do the exact amount.

More retention DPs lol. Tried again for DH's second plat, a few days after the AF posted. Still getting the 40k for $3000 spend. But since we took the AU offer on the card, pushed me over the edge and decided to take the offer. It would probably be cutting it close on the AU offer to close the card in time for the AF refund.

Tried again for the Bonvoy biz retention. STILL not transferred. Third time now. Was told no offers. When I asked to be transferred to Business Membership Consulting, was told that they can only help when there are offers on the account. Huh. I guess that could be true. I think I've always had some sort of offer before and was always transferred. I might try asking to be transferred right away next time.
So jealous of your Japan bookings. Did you see that some of the Hyatt Cat 7s are moving to Cat 8 including Park Hyatt Kyoto. Have you started booking hotels?
I'm still stalking availability on AA even though I'm 5 months away from my booking window. Unfortunately I don't have 480K AA miles, between DH and I we have 270K. I plan to apply for the Barclays in April, fingers cross I'm approved. I only have 209K miles in my account and I would really like to book the 4 of us on the same itinerary.

Looking for some advice on which cards to keep open and what to apply for next for some upcoming expenses.

I am currently at 3/24 (assuming that a biz card does not count. If it does, I'd be at 4/24):

-Chase SW Priority - before 2015 (not sure of exact date, but 2015 is as far back as statements go on my app). Just submitted for upgrade to get 5k points - not a lot, but I just need a few more for flights I'm looking at.
-Chase Slate - 12/2016 - don't use often, unless there is a promotion or offer on the account that is useful to me, so possibly close?
-Chase Sapphire - 6/2019 - my primary card, to buildup URs - want to keep for now to use global entry credit for one of my kids & to keep building URs
-Chase SW Performance Biz: 5/2021
-Amex Platinum: 1/2021 - want to keep for now, as I am renewing my passport & then want to use the global entry credit
-Amex Rose Gold 3/2021 - possibly close once my anniversary hits. We generally use the uber credits & dining credits which mostly offset the annual fee, but otherwise nothing special here.
-BOA Amtrak - 10/2021
-BOA CT Bar Association - I've had this since around 1998. Seldom use it, but I've held it for so long I worry about the hit to my credit if I close it, since it will greatly reduce the average age of my accounts

I'm going to owe taxes (which will have to be paid by 4/15) and also have a long weekend to WDW planned in late March to visit DD who is doing the DCP this semester, so I can probably manage to hit $7,000 - $9,000 in spend easily in the short term, and would love to be able to hit a good sub with those expenses. Can't go with CSR until 2023 (at which point I'm thinking I'll PC my CSP then do a MDD if it still works then).

My main goal is points for travel. I like the flexibility of URs since I have the option to transfer to a number of providers, or book on the portal. Hoping to plan a couple of big trips in the next couple of years, but no definitive time frame yet - I was supposed to take oldest DD to Italy & Greece in 2020 for her high school graduation, and had to scrap it due to covid, so we still want to do that, although time frame is a bit up in the air due to her schedule. Younger DD is graduating high school this year and has said she'd like to go to Bora Bora (which I've warned her may be a pipe dream :P). Our primary airport is Bradley (Hartford), although Providence is a pretty easy alternative, and for a bigger trip I'd be willing to consider flying out of NYC (JFK or LGA) or Boston. I have a few Marriott points, but not many (around 20,000)

From the small amount of research I've doe so far, I'm think maybe the CIC - $7500 spend for 75,000 URs makes sense for a new card. I don't think I'd have enough spend for the CIP.

TIA for any advice!

Agree on asking for retention offers on the plat and gold. You can do it via chat, but during regular business hours so they can transfer you. Best on the plat is 55-60k for $4000 spend (60k is more rare, but I did see a recent data point). 40k for $3000 is more common. On the gold, I think best is 30k for $3000.

After your gold hits one year, it might get an upgrade offer to plat. I have the 25k for $2000 offer, which is not attractive to me. But have seen 75k or 100k for $6000 spend. Wish I could get that! But those offers seem less common than the retention offers.

So jealous of your Japan bookings. Did you see that some of the Hyatt Cat 7s are moving to Cat 8 including Park Hyatt Kyoto. Have you started booking hotels?
I'm still stalking availability on AA even though I'm 5 months away from my booking window. Unfortunately I don't have 480K AA miles, between DH and I we have 270K. I plan to apply for the Barclays in April, fingers cross I'm approved. I only have 209K miles in my account and I would really like to book the 4 of us on the same itinerary.

Thanks for the heads up! Wow a 10k jump going to Cat 8. 😞 I think the PH Kyoto award rooms only fit 2, so I haven't really considered it. We'll probably do the Conrad Osaka with 5th night free. But there are other ones on the list I'm interested in, some down the line so I guess it can't be helped. I was considering booking another stay at the Ventana, but I don't see any availability even at calendar open.

I haven't booked hotels yet for winter. Have lot of points tied up in the summer reservations that I can't quite bring myself to cancel yet. I guess hope springs eternal lol.

Doing the math in my head (assuming the $900 or so pending isn't in the $2900 spend).....I have $2k to hit by 2/28.

I just dropped $160 to stay a teacher, LOL. The hotel will likely be $400-500. I can pay my cable, $130. Probably need 3 tanks of gas before 2/28, $180 (min). Figure "everyday" spending between now and then $200. So I'm looking at maybe only need to "make" $1k happen. I think I'm going to try my luck at Office Max buying some MCGC this week (to pay my gas and electric).

How about $2,900 in Girl Scout cookies?
What about just VGC at the grocery store? Prepay Netflix?

HA! I'm trying to lose the quarantine weight, so that many GS cookies won't help. I'm thinking between my natural spending and maybe a few GCs I might be able to actually do it! But GS cookies would taste good, LOL.

I guess I could do Prime, but not 10 years. I debated cancelling it w/ the raise in cost, or making the ex split that with me, LOL. We split netflix now, our phone plan, DD's car and insurance, etc. But I guess the positive is I could convert to Amazon credit. Hmmmm.

I'm so irritated with SW. I purposely booked a spring break trip out of Reagan (90 minutes away) to Fort Myers to get a nonstop. The nonstop no longer exists and they reassigned us to a flight connecting in Midway. And they will only honor the fare for flights out of DCA, IAD, or BWI. BWI is a hike but is the only option with nonstops. Tickets out of Richmond are now about 70,000 rr points (I think I booked for about 20,000 points).
70,000 RRs? 😳 Have you checked thru your Biz Plat to see what flights would cost with MRs, especially if you pick that airline for your incidentals since you get 35% MRs back?

It looks like you are 3/24, so the CIC would be my suggestion. You really can't go wrong with URs.

As for which cards to keep, I would keep your BOA CT card, specially if it doesn't have an annual fee. I would close any cards that you don't use that have AFs.

I would ask for a retention offer on the Gold now, that way if you do get an offer you can close it when the 2023 AF hits.
Remember that you have to keep the card for 12 months after you accept the retention offer and you can only get a retention offer every 13 months for each card, so you could potentially ask for another retention offer in March of 2023. You can also ask about the retention offer on your platinum card, you could always downgrade to a Green card next year.
Agree on asking for retention offers on the plat and gold. You can do it via chat, but during regular business hours so they can transfer you. Best on the plat is 55-60k for $4000 spend (60k is more rare, but I did see a recent data point). 40k for $3000 is more common. On the gold, I think best is 30k for $3000.

After your gold hits one year, it might get an upgrade offer to plat. I have the 25k for $2000 offer, which is not attractive to me. But have seen 75k or 100k for $6000 spend. Wish I could get that! But those offers seem less common than the retention offers.

Thanks for the suggestions on asking for a retention offer. Even though I really had no intent to drop the Amex Platinum, I started there since the AF just posted, and got 40,000 MRs for $3k spend in 3 months. Did it via chat & it was very simple. Thought of asking about the Rose Gold as well, but didn't know if I should ask for both at the same time, so I'll try another day on the gold. For now I think I'll hold off on the CIC until I know I have met my spend for the retention offer.

Last edited:
Doing the math in my head (assuming the $900 or so pending isn't in the $2900 spend).....I have $2k to hit by 2/28.

I just dropped $160 to stay a teacher, LOL. The hotel will likely be $400-500. I can pay my cable, $130. Probably need 3 tanks of gas before 2/28, $180 (min). Figure "everyday" spending between now and then $200. So I'm looking at maybe only need to "make" $1k happen. I think I'm going to try my luck at Office Max buying some MCGC this week (to pay my gas and electric).

HA! I'm trying to lose the quarantine weight, so that many GS cookies won't help. I'm thinking between my natural spending and maybe a few GCs I might be able to actually do it! But GS cookies would taste good, LOL.

I guess I could do Prime, but not 10 years. I debated cancelling it w/ the raise in cost, or making the ex split that with me, LOL. We split netflix now, our phone plan, DD's car and insurance, etc. But I guess the positive is I could convert to Amazon credit. Hmmmm.
We had a similar dilemma in December. Other things I did… I bought a few restaurant gift cards that I knew we would use in the short term (and got the holiday bonus deals they offered). I also paid off my husband’s cell phone and made an advance payment on my gas bill since they took AmEx. I was definitely digging through the upcoming expenses for ideas.

Tried again for the Bonvoy biz retention. STILL not transferred. Third time now. Was told no offers. When I asked to be transferred to Business Membership Consulting, was told that they can only help when there are offers on the account. Huh. I guess that could be true. I think I've always had some sort of offer before and was always transferred. I might try asking to be transferred right away next time.

Just chatted re: the Amex biz plat. Was transferred but then told no offers.

Looks like a lot of Hyatt properties went up 3-5k points a night, im still anticipating the bonvy'd to be worse.
[UR. unfurl="true"]https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/en/landing/award-category-chart-updates.html[/URL]

The hyatt I have booked in okinawa is going up to a 5. More reason to hope my trip happens this year.

Only other I noticed is the vendome in paris is going up to an 8. Not sure it's worth that extra though I did like the location.

I know no one really uses hyatt in Orlando but I did notice that some of the hyatt houses went down a cat and the one inside mco is going up to a 5.

The hyatt I have booked in okinawa is going up to a 5. More reason to hope my trip happens this year.

Only other I noticed is the vendome in paris is going up to an 8. Not sure it's worth that extra though I did like the location.

I know no one really uses hyatt in Orlando but I did notice that some of the hyatt houses went down a cat and the one inside mco is going up to a 5.
the MCO one is a steal with the cat 1-4-night certificate, I use it all the time for early flights. ugh this stinks

still even with the deval (for now) you are still getting a better rebate at hyatt... back of the paper math.
You are still getting 10x at hyatt top tier and 17 at marriot.
So to me hyatt is 2.5x what 1 point is at Marriot. it used to be more like 3-3.5-1.
I have a gut feeling that Marriot with the variableness is going to be worth .5-.75 to 2.5x. But i also know i have a points problem.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the VRBO/Airbnb $200 credit on the Capital One Venture X? I had an Airbnb charge on January 28, and the credit still hasn’t posted.

Related: does Capital One have a messaging or chat system similar to Chase’s SM? I poked around on the app, and the options seem to be chat with a bot (not helpful) or call. The VX is in P2’s name, and I know he won’t want to call, so I’m hoping there’s an alternative way to contact them.
Yes, I stayed at an Airbnb on Dec 21st in Paris, and the $200 credit posted on Dec 23rd. Cap One has been very helpful when I call. DD had her card shipped to our address because she's stationed in Germany, and they allowed me to activate her card when I called, as well as DSIL, who is an AU. She could not use the APP as it asks for a phone # and she only has a German # now.

Last edited:
yep agreed.
Does anyone ever booked hotels without an airplane ticket? trying to do japan spring next year but I also wanna do ana or jal first but at the same time 35k more points may make me try and do it early without a ticket.

I have. It can be kind of a puzzle making everything work. I've read some DP where someone needed to drop some days from a booking they made before the non-peak/peak changes and it revised the rate to the current peak rate. In my head, I've labeled my reservations that are affected by that "do not touch" lol. You might want to consider making them as single day reservations if they don't have minimum stay restrictions.

I have. It can be kind of a puzzle making everything work. I've read some DP where someone needed to drop some days from a booking they made before the non-peak/peak changes and it revised the rate to the current peak rate. In my head, I've labeled my reservations that are affected by that "do not touch" lol. You might want to consider making them as single day reservations if they don't have minimum stay restrictions.
in japan too (i try to get 2cpp) I noticed the taxes can make it make or break it for rooms, I just texted my buddy whos coming with asked how bad he wants to do Kyoto because if not ill do it next trip. With wanting to go to both Disney parks (ofc) it may be too much for a first trip. @Wander I think you have done it correctly? too much for 8-day trip? it's all i can do next year. If only i didn't have to work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter