I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventana Inn in Big Sur, but adults only (guessing that doesn't work for you). Carmel Valley Ranch was nice. Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach seems to get consistently good reviews. We have a stay planned there along with Andaz Napa, I can report back. The new Alila Marea Beach (near San Diego) looks gorgeous.
Thanks! Yeah, we don’t travel without DS so that one is out. I overlooked that we would need to test coming and going to Aruba as I had just grouped it with the Caribbean wrongly. And given we are all vaccinated, I am not looking Forward to a double swabs. But I guess we are sticking with it since everything is booked up.

If I downgraded a CSR (opened 2016) to a CFU, can I upgrade the CFU to a CSR in the first year?

My understanding from reading here is that you have to hold the card you want to upgrade for a year, in your case the CFU that you downgraded your CSR to. However, if you have another product such as a Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Flex or another CFU, and you've had it for a year, you can upgrade that card to a CSR. You do need to have 10k available credit line for CSR and 5K for CSP to do your upgrade.

Hello! Just wondering if anyone did the SW 50x purchases yet. Between DH and I we have 4 SW credit cards, so I hope to buy 4 separate $100 gift cards. Does anyone foresee any issues with this?

Question for the group. Today in the mail I got an offer from Amex for 0% APR on all charges for the next 12 mos on my Hilton Surpass. Is there any reason why I shouldn't accept this? I have monthly charges I put on the card, and then whenever there's a VGC offer I buy on that card (to hit the $15k). I don't "need" to carry a balance or need the time to pay things off, plus I'm working on SUB for Chase right now.

But I feel like there's no harm in accepting the 0% offer. If interest rates were better I'd use the time to earn some money in savings, but it's so low right now, LOL
Your credit score may change, so it could impact future apps. That may not be a big deal, but it's something to keep in mind.

Haha your post reminded me of my childhood. As a little kid, my dad had an old VW microbus camper that would not go in reverse. It drove my mom absolutely bonkers! Needless to say, I have some very funny memories of our family adventures in the microbus. Also, when I turned 16, my very first driving experience was my brother's Bonneville. It WAS a tank. Three people could sit comfortably on the bench seat in the front. Wow, I have some great memories of that as well!!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Yes, and in retrospect and with respect to my EX, the car was about 6-7 years old when DD first got it. 2 bench type seats, front and back in a medium blue inside and out.

When DS decided not to continue at his school in Boston and returned, he was really sorry to have given up the car, but it was not in my budget to keep it insured while he attended college out of state.

Overall, other than the tranny, the car was in good condition throughout its time with us and other than general maintenance served the kids well.

Older DD would have adored your VW bus. She's wanted one forever, and I just saw a picture of myself standing next to one that she took at a campground at Assateague in the last couple of years - a true relic - all rusty and used to be a cream color. One of the surfers had it. Not sure what year it was but probably from the 1980ties or so. It's tranny probably worked as it was parked nose in. Son used to do drive through parking both at school and at his job, and parked in front of my house on the street so he never had to do any pushing.

Did anyone get the 5X Amazon offer up to $1500? I have it on my Rose Gold. I went nuts on Amazon with 4 or 5 orders right before the offer. Now I need nothing right now, and for 5x, not worth gift cards.

Yes, and in retrospect and with respect to my EX, the car was about 6-7 years old when DD first got it. 2 bench type seats, front and back in a medium blue inside and out.

When DS decided not to continue at his school in Boston and returned, he was really sorry to have given up the car, but it was not in my budget to keep it insured while he attended college out of state.

Overall, other than the tranny, the car was in good condition throughout its time with us and other than general maintenance served the kids well.

Older DD would have adored your VW bus. She's wanted one forever, and I just saw a picture of myself standing next to one that she took at a campground at Assateague in the last couple of years - a true relic - all rusty and used to be a cream color. One of the surfers had it. Not sure what year it was but probably from the 1980ties or so. It's tranny probably worked as it was parked nose in. Son used to do drive through parking both at school and at his job, and parked in front of my house on the street so he never had to do any pushing.

Did anyone get the 5X Amazon offer up to $1500? I have it on my Rose Gold. I went nuts on Amazon with 4 or 5 orders right before the offer. Now I need nothing right now, and for 5x, not worth gift cards.
Reminds me of Unsellable Houses on HGTV. One of the twins has a VW Bus.

Reminds me of Unsellable Houses on HGTV. One of the twins has a VW Bus.

I've never watched that show. Don't watch much TV and stopped HGTV when Comcast switched our plan and tried to charge to have it included in an 'upgraded' package. Joke on them - nobody cared so went back to basic. But, it tends to be on TV in most of the hotels so I'll watch for it later this month when I'm with older DD so she can see the VW!

We have a Southwest flight tonight, I was thinking about upgrading our boarding number at the gate, DH still has his 4 upgrade. They usually charge the card then Chase credits it back, do you think would count toward the 50X?

Anyone have a sense of what an umbrella policy should cost for $1 million of coverage (I know there are tons of variables involved). I was quoted $560 through Geico which seems kind of high although I have one brand new driver and a 17 year old who has been driving for 18 months. Driving records are spotless and no accidents.
somewhere between $190-390....depends on who lives in the house,ages,and drivers. ours rose by about $200 b/c of those factors. Shop around- originally we had been paying $900 for this:scared1: until I realized that was way too high- so right now I think I'm paying around $350 (bc of our 'risk' factors of who lives here right now)

Thank you for reminding me how high the stakes are. I really don't want to pay $560/year, but I do want to protect my assets (they're modest, but I'd still like to keep them!).
I learned this lesson a few years back- a friend of mine had her YA son driving her car, tiny fender bender(like a bump at a stoplight) and suddenly they were in court for months being sued for their HOME and everything they owned...... it turned out ok for them (bc this person was a liar) but lesson learned about umbrella coverage,even if you think your assets aren't worth much..

FWIW I'm paying more than both of you, but with bundles it is hard to compare individual policies. I recently switched to Liberty Mutual for Home, Auto and Umbrella and I now keep getting notifications from Mint that I'm overpaying for Umbrella. That's true when looked at alone but my combo deal for all 3 is saving me considerably from what I had before and could get elsewhere because my home premium more than makes up for the high umbrella cost and if I took my umbrella business away from LM I would pay more for the other 2 components.
This is who we switched from..... the rates started ok and became outrageous. It pays to shop around,I found a local insurance agent from another company who beat that bundle by miles

Hello! Just wondering if anyone did the SW 50x purchases yet. Between DH and I we have 4 SW credit cards, so I hope to buy 4 separate $100 gift cards. Does anyone foresee any issues with this?

Not yet but my wife and I both have SW cards. Definitely buying 2 $100 gift cards today!

I logged onto to SWA to buy EBCI for flight I purchased yesterday in order to get the 50x Rapid Rewards points. When I try to buy them, this is the error message I get.

Ineligible for EarlyBird Check-In®
  • Thank you for your interest in EarlyBird Check-In®. The passengers and flights associated with this itinerary do not qualify for EarlyBird Check-In® purchase at this time. Please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) for assistance.
Has anyone else had luck purchasing anything other than flights on SWA.com today to get the bonus points?

Edit - I finally got through to someone on FB Messenger. The problem was that we were "granted A-List Status" and thus the website didn't think I needed to buy EBCI. However, our A-List Status is only good for travel through June 30, 2021 and our flight is in November. The CS rep was able to remove our RR#s from the reservation so I could go in and buy EBCI. I then had to add our RR#s and TT#s back to the reservation. Luckily I just kept working while I was waiting for a response, so no time wasted, and I got 4,000 points for buying it.

I am now trying to decide if I should buy $100 gift cards with our 2 remaining SWA credit cards. We tend to only buy tickets with our points, so not sure how long it would take to use the $220 for fees (at a rate of $11.20/flight). 11,000 points are nice, but I would have to keep track of those GFs for a long time.

Last edited:
My understanding from reading here is that you have to hold the card you want to upgrade for a year, in your case the CFU that you downgraded your CSR to. However, if you have another product such as a Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Flex or another CFU, and you've had it for a year, you can upgrade that card to a CSR. You do need to have 10k available credit line for CSR and 5K for CSP to do your upgrade.

Yes, I knew I couldn’t upgrade the new CSP, but I was hoping I could the CFU bc it kind of carries the age and cc# of the old CSR.

I need to decide what I’m doing bc I’m second-guessing going for day 2 of DH’s MDD (CSR) today. There have been so many 100k offers lately, I’m just not sure I want to give up a 5/24 slot for 60k card, especially at the new AF. He’s 3/24 as of yesterday.

I’ll take any advice. I’m a bit stuck.

For the southwest bonus, is it better to buy the $100 gc or to buy points? It looks like the closest is 3,500pts for $105.

For the southwest bonus, is it better to buy the $100 gc or to buy points? It looks like the closest is 3,500pts for $105.

A $105 flight can be purchased with 6624 pts + $5.60 taxes, so it seems to me you're losing half the value by buying points. But there is a convenience factor with points. Others have suggested to buy the GC and use it primarily for taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!