I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been playing the AA anniversary promo game. I think it started yesterday and goes for several weeks. I can’t tell if it’s random or if it actually depends on where you tap the globe to stop it spinning. I got 400 miles for landing on Seattle yesterday and 40 miles for landing on Rio de Janeiro today.
I played 20x first day (10 each for me and DH) got nothing. ☹
ETA: Played today. DH got 40 miles, I got 20% off FTD 🙄

Last edited:
I don’t know about the Aspire specifically but I would say try again and maybe you will get a better offer. I went from a no offer on my Plat last month to MR’s if kept open. I waited a week and then had everything paid off other than fee as I was fully intending to close it. So that will sometimes work. On the other hand, last month I also did a retention chat on my husband’s Green and could only get like 7500 MR’s after trying twice. (When I had a retention offer double that on mine the month before).

I just think there are a lot of factors. And it being Amex those factors change!

Thanks. It's so weird how the offers change all the time. Last time they gave him nothing for his plat, and then a week later offered a great deal. I am hoping it will be the same for the Aspire, but since he doesn't use it much I know it's unlikely.

I am new to Globalist too but I would maybe just call the property you are thinking of and ask. I know with Covid individual properties are handling things differently and there does not seem to be a set rule other than the standard benefits that might be offered.

Thanks. Reading online people are saying it's not great since all you get is a free "not great" breakfast. On the other hand, we can use up those FNCs there, so I'm considering it.

I had a retention offer in January -- I can't recall what it was, but I think it was similar to what your dh received. I decided to cancel the card because I haven't stayed at a Hilton property in years (I always seem to find myself at Marriott properties) and I get to keep diamond status through 2022. At some point I'll probably apply for the Surpass and hopefully get an upgrade offer, but I'm not in any rush.

Thanks. We had high hopes for the card when DH applied for it, but we didn't think we'd spend a year not traveling and not planning anything fun abroad - thought we could easily make up the AF with the FNC, but not so sure now.

SW Companion pass question: I currently have the SW RR plus card. My last bonus on this card was May 2020. I currently have a companion pass for last year (what a waste!!!) and this year. I have 53,000 points towards my next CP and feel I can get the SW performance business card, easily putting me over the 125,000 needed points. Here's my dilemma: do I get the CP for next year now and only have it for 2022 or try to get it next year for some of 2022 and 2023. I can't get another SW personal card bonus until after May 2022, and we are taking a big family trip in May, so the CP would be helpful for that. But, we'll also take a big family trip in 2023, so it would be helpful then, too! I'm just not sure how to get the CP next year. Would it look like this: get the SW performance business in early 2022 (80,000 if it's still that much); cancel my SW RR plus card in May, then re-apply in June to get the 40,000 point bonus. This should give me 130,000 points, enough for a CP from maybe July 2022 to Dec 2023. Does this sound right, and the way to go? Also, how do people get a CP every year? Do you have to have a partner to do this. If so, no luck for me. Mine uses.....a debit card for his purchases :scared: Thanks for any SW tips! It's my favorite way to save on our Disney trips!

Should I get a GC for $200 or $250? I’ll get $250 statement credit
That's up to you. If you want a zero balance on the credit card (assuming this is the only transaction for the billing statement), then get a $250 gc. But if you really just want to max out the remaining travel credit on the card ($210 if I understood your previous post correctly) then buy a $210 gc and have a floating $40 credit on your card that you can spend anywhere else you'd like, e.g. for dining out to augment your $20/mo dining credit on the Brilliant, as an idea.

SW Companion pass question: I currently have the SW RR plus card. My last bonus on this card was May 2020. I currently have a companion pass for last year (what a waste!!!) and this year. I have 53,000 points towards my next CP and feel I can get the SW performance business card, easily putting me over the 125,000 needed points. Here's my dilemma: do I get the CP for next year now and only have it for 2022 or try to get it next year for some of 2022 and 2023. I can't get another SW personal card bonus until after May 2022, and we are taking a big family trip in May, so the CP would be helpful for that. But, we'll also take a big family trip in 2023, so it would be helpful then, too! I'm just not sure how to get the CP next year. Would it look like this: get the SW performance business in early 2022 (80,000 if it's still that much); cancel my SW RR plus card in May, then re-apply in June to get the 40,000 point bonus. This should give me 130,000 points, enough for a CP from maybe July 2022 to Dec 2023. Does this sound right, and the way to go? Also, how do people get a CP every year? Do you have to have a partner to do this. If so, no luck for me. Mine uses.....a debit card for his purchases :scared: Thanks for any SW tips! It's my favorite way to save on our Disney trips!
Your plans to earn the CP in 2022 look right. If you have earned 53k points this year you are only 47k points away from earning the CP this year which will extend it to 12/31/22. Or are you counting the 25k SW gave everyone towards the CP?
P2 was able to extend his CP another year with referrals. He had the Personal and Biz cards and earned 80k referral points last year. When SW was having that amazing SUB last year I posted his link on my Facebook page. Maybe when

Last edited:

Does anyone know about how long after you get the Chase Sapphire Preferred it takes for Chase offers to show up online?

It always takes awhile for Chase offers to show up on new cards. Once they do start to show up, it's usually just a couple of the really common offers at first and then it slowly builds from there.
Thanks, i wont hold out for any offers to show in the next 10 days before our trip then

Looking like the increased AF on the plat is more likely from DoC. Also no more guests with you to centurion lounges starting in 2023.

Think so far the lounge thing has people more upset, but it's also a sure thing where the AF is still a rumor though much more likely given the lounge thing did pan out.

Looking like the increased AF on the plat is more likely from DoC. Also no more guests with you to centurion lounges starting in 2023.

Think so far the lounge thing has people more upset, but it's also a sure thing where the AF is still a rumor though much more likely given the lounge thing did pan out.
Well that sucks! I guess I better move out on DH’s CS Plat.

We got out negative test results today. Hawaii, here we come!

Checked to see if I can change my car rental to a later pickup (since we had to change flights, we get in later), but no luck. There are no rental cars available from any company in any category! I really hope the car we reserved is available when we arrive!

Thinking of what card to get next. Haven’t gotten a new card since 7/2020. Currently at 2/24. Here are my stats:
5/19 Chase SW Biz ( planning to close once I get anniversary points this year)
6/19 Chase SW premier -( currently have CP good until end of 2021)
9/19 CIP - PC to CIC 9/20
7/20 CSP - should I PC or keep open when I get to one year?
P2 is very reluctant but currently has
5/20 CSP which I am planning to PC for him to CF?
also had CIP 11/19 closed
Any suggestions?
Another question. ..Thinking of staying at a Hyatt resort when we do eventually go to Hawaii. Would it be good idea to transfer some of my URs to Hyatt while I still have CSP? Once I PC it I won’t be able to transfer right? Or should I wait until I have an actual date planned for trip before transferring. Currently do not even have a Hyatt account.

Last edited:
Made back-up car rental reservations for our Kauai/Maui trip. Hertz was the cheapest, though of course way more than the Thrifty bookings I made last year. After I made the Hertz reservations, I realized that Thrifty is the same parent company. Is it even going to help if they run out of cars? Maybe they're even in the same office sharing the same parking lot? Then I went and made reservations with Enterprise. So now I have back-ups for the back-ups and I feel sufficiently paranoid. 😅

When we arrived in Maui last week we waited in the hertz/thrifty/dollar line for about 30 minutes. All agents were helping guests regardless of brand. Agent does the usual paperwork, etc and sends us to the lot to pick any minivan in Hertz aisle 6. Our ressie was with Thrifty, so they are definitely using cars interchangeably. Get to the lot and there’s about 20 families there, just waiting. No cars. As fast as they could clean cars, they were bringing them out and then an agent in the parking lot would call out for the family it “belonged” to. So, I DO think multiple ressies will help if they are in different car classes. If it’s the same class with sister car companies, then I don’t think it will help. Even with the wait, we were out in another 30 minutes. They offered us an Escalade that had been sit there the whole time, eventually.

Right? Clearly not airsick since not even flying. But aren't they supposed to be screening for illness? They could have COVID or worse.
Former flight attendant here. I can assure you they absolutely did assess this situation before they took off with a nauseous person. It could've just been a pregnant lady feeling nauseous or someone who has a history of airsickness trying to address it before takeoff. The crew would not risk their own health, or the passengers health, if they suspected the person might be contagious. I personally have prevented people from boarding because they looked very ill, and that was many years before the pandemic. As for the front row, not sure why they made that request but my guess is the FAs were thinking the person would be close to the lavatory in case they were going to get sick.

Another former flight attendant agreeing with @djmeredith. My lil guy is 7 and now has motion sickness from flights. I think he’s developing anxiety about it too, as his stomach will hurt prior and the smell of the airplane cabin makes him nauseated. Also, keep in mind people may be connecting or driving long distances, so there may be motion sickness in play before that particular flight even takes off. Having said that, I would NEVER expect anyone to move for us for motion sickness. And if I know there’s room on the plane, I try to give peeps around us the heads up that he has motion sickness, in case they prefer to sit elsewhere (Southwest). My lil guy’s motion sickness is now well under control with dramamine. We will see how this flight anxiety progresses...

How many times were you able to play today? I was only able to play twice even though four of the tasks were checked.

We got out negative test results today. Hawaii, here we come!

Checked to see if I can change my car rental to a later pickup (since we had to change flights, we get in later), but no luck. There are no rental cars available from any company in any category! I really hope the car we reserved is available when we arrive!
I saw someone on Instagram that arrived in Hawaii 2 days ago. They waited an hour in the car rental line then another hour for a car. I would say that you get to the car rental line ASAP.

I’ve been playing the AA anniversary promo game. I think it started yesterday and goes for several weeks. I can’t tell if it’s random or if it actually depends on where you tap the globe to stop it spinning. I got 400 miles for landing on Seattle yesterday and 40 miles for landing on Rio de Janeiro today.
Well thanks for letting me know where you click matters. After getting NOTHING the first few times, I got a whopping 20% off FTD for landing on China :rolleyes2 :rotfl2:

I'm new to the forum but was big into the points game starting in 2015 for a Disney cruise to Iceland and a trip to Japan. I stopped keeping up with the points and took a European vacation/Disney Med cruise two years ago with less points and more credit card charges which put me into a bad spot. I'm finally getting all that cleaned up and in the past 6 months have closed a 2 Barclays Cards, IHG Chase, Hyatt Chase, 2 Hilton Amex Cards, Bank of America and a Wells Fargo card. All of these were from my initial sign up bonuses in 2015. I still have a Discover card, Citi AA, Southwest and the Disney Chase.

My new goal is to get back into the game for an Octoberfest Disney river cruise and another trip to Japan in 2-3 years. My strategy is to wait another year and then apply for a new round of sign up bonuses. Until then I'm working on earning miles on my AA. In the past I did a lot of manufactured spending with gift cards but this time I'm trying a resale approach. I sell stuff on Ebay and am looking at opening an Amazon seller account. I also work full time. Whew, that was a long introduction.

Looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences and plans. Thanks!
What are you reselling? I like to try and hit the $15k on my hilton card for the free night. But since I'm normally using other cards for spends, I rarely spend on it. I used to do MS, but it's near impossible to get VGC here during Staples offers. So I'd love other ways to hit a spend. I know there are lots on Tik Tok making money w/ reselling, Amazon and drop shipping.

I got the FTD too, WOOOO :rolleyes2

Well between always getting the pop-up and this new AF, I guess Amex Platinum is not in my future. I can't foresee an almost $700 AF having enough value for me.

As much as I don't want October to hurry up and get here (because it'll mean summer is over and I am back to school), I really would like it to hurry up so I can get on my BFs flight benefits, LOL. It seems the cheap flights are GONE! The BF can hop on any plane any time for free. And w/ his schedule we really can't plan a trip until just before we'd want to go. Which was fine for me when flights were cheap. If anything this might help me win the argument for him to add me, LOL. He's on vaca starting Saturday till the 21st and sadly I don't think I can do a quick vaca w/ him anymore. WAHHHHH!

Oh and in the car rental world......I did the "skip the line" for Alamo in ATL. We landed at 8:30pm. There were about 10 people in the line. I walked right to the lot and they told me to take anything I wanted in the "mid-range" SUV area. There was a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which is what I have) and I raced to it. Nothing like spending the week in my own car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter