I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it goes in the seemingly never-ending saga of our quest to get to the Maldives on points......

With the entry requirements to Singapore being announced, it seems very, very unlikely that I will be able to secure seats on points on 1 of the 2 approved flights from Vancouver to Singapore (there aren't any VTL-approved flights from Toronto -- meaning flights that avoid mandatory quarantine). Add to the fact that the Maldives isn't on Singapore's list of VTL-approved countries, and our trip collapses like a house of cards. Could we fly direct to Singapore and skip the Maldives? Yep, but there are currently only 2 VTL-approved flights from Canada (arriving flights have to be on an approved list), so there is close to zero percent chance that I will be able to get seats on points. Then add to this the fact that we would require no less then 6 rapid PCR tests along the way and suddenly this trip becomes extremely unattractive.

Dd was home for reading week last week and she and I discussed the pros and cons ad nauseum of hoping that this trip goes despite the current restrictions. She doesn't want to endure 6 PCR tests (I don't either); I am worried that some of the restrictions may stay in place (like the VTL-approved flights to Singapore). Which leads me to the likely conclusion that this trip will most likely be cancelled in late spring :(:(. Everything booked can easily be cancelled without penalty, except for the 2 bedroom Fullerton Suite at the Fullerton Hotel in Singapore that I pre-paid for on a rate that can't be cancelled (and I do know better :headache::headache:, but such was my confidence / stupidity when I booked this trip).

We decided that a trip to London / Scotland would be a nice substitute, so I have gone ahead and booked seats in first class from JFK to LHR for 74k points per person. We will stay at either the Conrad or Biltmore (both Hilton properties and would be booked on points). I'm not sure where we would stay in Edinburgh (maybe the WA Caledonian). We would definitely be taking 2 day trips -- to the Glenfinnan Viaduct on the Harry Potter train and Alnwick Castle (the real life Hogwarts).

Given the time and effort it took to book this trip to say I am disappointed is an understatement. Perhaps the 4th time will be the charm (2023)? Or maybe it's a sign that the Maldives just isn't meant to be. Of course there is still a chance that this trip could still go; I guess time will tell. But we will have a (much less complicated) backup plan just in case.

And so it goes in the seemingly never-ending saga of our quest to get to the Maldives on points......

With the entry requirements to Singapore being announced, it seems very, very unlikely that I will be able to secure seats on points on 1 of the 2 approved flights from Vancouver to Singapore (there aren't any VTL-approved flights from Toronto -- meaning flights that avoid mandatory quarantine). Add to the fact that the Maldives isn't on Singapore's list of VTL-approved countries, and our trip collapses like a house of cards. Could we fly direct to Singapore and skip the Maldives? Yep, but there are currently only 2 VTL-approved flights from Canada (arriving flights have to be on an approved list), so there is close to zero percent chance that I will be able to get seats on points. Then add to this the fact that we would require no less then 6 rapid PCR tests along the way and suddenly this trip becomes extremely unattractive.

Dd was home for reading week last week and she and I discussed the pros and cons ad nauseum of hoping that this trip goes despite the current restrictions. She doesn't want to endure 6 PCR tests (I don't either); I am worried that some of the restrictions may stay in place (like the VTL-approved flights to Singapore). Which leads me to the likely conclusion that this trip will most likely be cancelled in late spring :(:(. Everything booked can easily be cancelled without penalty, except for the 2 bedroom Fullerton Suite at the Fullerton Hotel in Singapore that I pre-paid for on a rate that can't be cancelled (and I do know better :headache::headache:, but such was my confidence / stupidity when I booked this trip).

We decided that a trip to London / Scotland would be a nice substitute, so I have gone ahead and booked seats in first class from JFK to LHR for 74k points per person. We will stay at either the Conrad or Biltmore (both Hilton properties and would be booked on points). I'm not sure where we would stay in Edinburgh (maybe the WA Caledonian). We would definitely be taking 2 day trips -- to the Glenfinnan Viaduct on the Harry Potter train and Alnwick Castle (the real life Hogwarts).

Given the time and effort it took to book this trip to say I am disappointed is an understatement. Perhaps the 4th time will be the charm (2023)? Or maybe it's a sign that the Maldives just isn't meant to be. Of course there is still a chance that this trip could still go; I guess time will tell. But we will have a (much less complicated) backup plan just in case.

So sorry about the cancellation although sounds like it's for the best-sounds like there's a level of hassle and uncertainty that takes away the joy and relaxation of a vacation right now. OTOH, you're headed to (my beloved) Scotland so definitely a silver lining! The Caledonian is down the street from my go to hotel-Grand Sheraton Hotel and Spa and it's an easy walk to Waverly Station (train), Princes Street and shopping and across from the castle so just wonderful location-and from the outside looks lovely.

The good news is my ankle didn't bother me. The bad is it was over a miler longer than it should have been, so over 10, and most everything else hurts :rotfl2: looking forward to my pedicure later.

Also, if anyone here does trail racea, you're insane but also awesome. I did one loop and there were people doing 2 and 3 for 30k and 50k. I will stick to roads and paved trails, but it was quite peaceful and we had great weather.

I am so jealous of this. I can’t get RT ORD to LHR in biz for less than 200k miles. I check every day. I managed to book 2 for less but can get a third☹
I was shocked that the seats were open as well. Since I have never flown first class and each of my (many) previous attempts have failed, I feel fairly certain that something will happen to prevent this flight from taking place :confused3 .

I wasn't as lucky coming back. Dh doesn't have enough AA miles (or I have too many tied up might be a more appropriate statement) for AA so I had to use AC. The only biz class seats that I could get are from Edinburgh to Brussels (1 hour and change in economy class on Brussels Air) on May 15 and Brussels to Toronto on May 16th, which cost 70k points / person and $600.00 in "taxes, fees, and charges". Ugh. We land in Belgium at 6:45pm, so maybe we will have enough time to do some chocolate shopping and have a nice dinner before we leave for the airport at 7:00am for our 10:45am flight.

Quick credit card question: We have a voucher from Avis for 2 free days of car rental (because our rental car from them broke down last year.) Usually, when we rent a car we don't take the insurance since it is covered by the credit card; however, since the car rental is now free we will not be paying with a credit card since there is no charge. Is there any way to get the credit card to cover the insurance? Has anyone ever encountered this situation?

Quick credit card question: We have a voucher from Avis for 2 free days of car rental (because our rental car from them broke down last year.) Usually, when we rent a car we don't take the insurance since it is covered by the credit card; however, since the car rental is now free we will not be paying with a credit card since there is no charge. Is there any way to get the credit card to cover the insurance? Has anyone ever encountered this situation?

Is it totally free or will there be fees/taxes? Or maybe pay the fee to not have to return it full of gas?

This is probably a basic question - I have an Arrival + I don't intend to keep open after I use the points for a Disney trip for next November. If I go ahead and pay on my account with the card sometime in the next couple of months and use my points up, can I close the card then? Or do I need to keep it open until the trip date? Also if we had to cancel for some reason and were issued a refund, how would this work if the card is closed?

Does anyone have an induction cooktop? Is it worth the upgraded price? We have a burner out on our cooktop so I need to replace it and the induction ones are calling my name but are $400 more.

Does anyone have an induction cooktop? Is it worth the upgraded price? We have a burner out on our cooktop so I need to replace it and the induction ones are calling my name but are $400 more.

Is that the flat top? If it is, mom and I hated it. It's what my stepdad wanted. After complaining to each other for years we finally replaced it earlier this year. The flat top is nice but you aren't supposed to use cast iron and the burners aren't on consistently. They cycle on and off to keep the temperature supposedly the same.

It's harder to clean because stuff burns to the cooktop. We can take the elements out of this one and clean the drip pans, replace if necessary. And can replace the elements if you ever need to.

My Mom has one and I will second what @afan says, she hates it. I hear all the time about how hard it is to clean. It seems like it would be easier to clean but I guess not. The do look sleeker.

Is that the flat top? If it is, mom and I hated it. It's what my stepdad wanted. After complaining to each other for years we finally replaced it earlier this year. The flat top is nice but you aren't supposed to use cast iron and the burners aren't on consistently. They cycle on and off to keep the temperature supposedly the same.

It's harder to clean because stuff burns to the cooktop. We can take the elements out of this one and clean the drip pans, replace if necessary. And can replace the elements if you ever need to.
My Mom has one and I will second what @afan says, she hates it. I hear all the time about how hard it is to clean. It seems like it would be easier to clean but I guess not. The do look sleeker.
I am surprised about the spills because the commercials say you shouldn’t get the stains because there is no heat on the burners unlike the conventional electric cooktops. We have the conventional and you can see the burn stains from pot boil overs.

This is probably a basic question - I have an Arrival + I don't intend to keep open after I use the points for a Disney trip for next November. If I go ahead and pay on my account with the card sometime in the next couple of months and use my points up, can I close the card then? Or do I need to keep it open until the trip date? Also if we had to cancel for some reason and were issued a refund, how would this work if the card is closed?

If this is a new card, you should keep it the first full year.

You don't need to have it open at the time of your trip. If you cancel, the refund would still go to your closed account and Barclay's would send you a check. The process may or may not go smoothly. There was another thread where someone had an issue with a Disney refund going to a closed Barclay's card. You might have to follow-up, but you should get your refund eventually.

I should have taken DS homecoming outfit shopping by myself. DH will have him looking like an old man going into the office rather than a stylish teen going to a semi-formal dance. Definitely a lesson learned!

Laughing but I feel for your son! As an older person I struggle with the clothes thing for my grands. When they were 0-3, no problem. But getting stuff for them at almost 5 and almost 6 is 'different'. I'll be completely out of the game once they are teens.

I have an older stepbrother and his grandma was a second grandma for us. She lived to be 106 years old. I'll never forget visiting with her as a teen or 20ish and mini's were what we wore. She was so kind and sweet. But she couldn't help but remind me that she could see my knees.

So, I've made it through lots of fashions and fads with my own kids. The one single item I can't stand is ripped jeans. People my age wear them. But, I can't like them. Other than the celebrity quest to see who can be more naked, I'm okay with most anything else.

ILs got an induction top when they remodeled a couple years ago and I miss it 😂 it boiled so quickly, temperature adjustments were instant, and they got a fancy model that didn't have set areas for the pans, you could put them anywhere and it would figure it out. Us kids chipped in on a new set of pans for mothers day then, bc only certain pans will work and most of mils old ones didn't. They went with gaggenau appliances and were able to get last years floor models.

Oh wow, we didn't have any trouble cleaning that one, and no real issue with things burning on the top from spills/splashes. The top would be hot after using where the pans had been, but not too bad. Mil just kept some microfiber clothes close buy just for cleaning the top without scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter