I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a bunch of Clear credits. Thinking how to maximize it. No friends have taken me up on the offer yet. I don't think GC works as it doesn't go through Clear. Looks like renewal is automated, so can't renew early. Best I can come up with so far is do TCB at the $149 rate, get $10 back. Have DH's and my account separate, so get the $10 twice. It's a big IF if I'll have any plats or biz plats in a year for the renewal. If I just have one credit by then, can renew at the Delta or United rate $119 and move one account under another as family for $60.

Anyone have other thoughts?
I think there are some DP of people basically begging to let them do early renewal that have worked.

Also, can any SW card refer to any other SW card, or can it only be Priority refer Priority?
You should be able to refer to any SW card from any SW card. When I check my link, there are five tabs at the top, each one for a separate SW card product.
@platamama is correct you can support for any SW card. My wife has the Plus but I used her link for the Priority.

Next SW question - can I MDD two Chase personal cards, and qualify for the companion pass that way? DH was automatically approved for the Priority today. I’ve got a CP already, but it’ll expire at the end of this year so I’m thinking if DH can MDD, we might as well do it?

All this SW talk led me to think about our companion passes. DH and I both hold them currently. They both expire at the end of the year. I was one of the lucky ones that had mine extended for a year due to COVID. My daughter is my companion and we use it a lot, I just counted and we'll get 17 round trips out of current CP including two trips to Hawaii. DH's CP doesn't get used as much because he doesn't have as much time off as I do.

DH could earn the CP for next year by doing the 80,000 Performance Business card option, that would push him over and earn him a CP for 2022. It would also net us 95,000 RR points which would be useful because we've used up most of ours with trips to Hawaii, and all the trips DD and I took. I hesitate because he'd only have the CP for one year vs two but I'm thinking it might still be worth it. The points would be nice and even if we used the CP a couple of times it would be useful.

Am I thinking crazy? Being shortsighted?

Those of you who did the Macy's wine offer, did it post on your card yet as a credit? I've not gotten it.

What do you two think about closing any of my existing cards? How long do they have to be closed to try to get another sign up bonus on those cards? For example, I got that IHG card bc it had such a good hotel point sign up bonus. If I closed it, could I wait around for them to offer another similar bonus?

I LOVE the IHG card. I think so many don't love all that it offers. I use the cell phone protection and I finally just used the GE on it too! I'm looking to churn that one. I would make sure you use the TSA/GE before you cancel, if you haven't yet! I got the premier back in 10/18, so I can. I just did the free one in Jan to "restock" my IHG points. I'm working on the MSR on the CIU right now. But then I'm torn between getting the IHG (again) or the MDD on the CSR/CSP. I'm sitting at 3/24, so I can't do the MDD first as that will put me over, and then I have to wait until April 22, and then October 22. Which means I have to sit it out and only do Biz cards, or put myself waiting that much longer. AHHHHH! And Amex doesn't love me right now. More than you wanted to know, I know, LOL.

More Hawaii thoughts!
Today we left Maui and head to Oahu, where we are staying at HHV in Waikiki. Thought I’d give some final thoughts on Maui activities and restaurants.
I already mentioned that we did the Haleakala (not sunrise) bike ride down from the crater, and the snorkeling trip on Calypso.
We also did:

Waterfall and rainforest hiking adventure through Hike Maui. This one I randomly stumbled across while poking around on the Chase travel portal, and it was awesome! If you don’t want to mess with the ordeal of the Road to Hana (we didn’t, and teen boys DEFINITELY didn’t), this seems like it might give you a nice little taste with a lot less effort. We hiked about 3 miles total (the hike was more strenuous that I anticipated, but in a good, enjoyable way, as far as I was concerned - just be prepared for that!). We visited 4-5 waterfalls, and all but one were deserted except for folks from our Hike Maui group (we accessed them by going through private property that Hike Maui was allowed to use). At 3 of the waterfalls, we got to jump from cliffs into the pools at the bottom, which my boys absolutely LOVED. We went to Black Rock later in the week, and I’m glad they got their fix of “jumping off stuff” on our hike, because Black Rock was a lot more effort and way more crowded.
Helicopter tour through Blue Hawaiian - we did the complete island tour. I booked this also as an alternative to doing the Road to Hana. It was cool, but our pilot was a bit of a dud (I like lots of chatter and fun facts). And I’ll say - if you’ve ever done a helicopter tour in Kauai (which we were lucky enough to do when we came to Hawaii 4 years ago), don’t bother going on a helicopter tour anywhere else, because nothing remotely compared to Kauai. It was also super expensive. While I enjoyed it and I’m glad we did it, if I had to do it over again, I probably would have saved the money and skipped it.
Zipline tour with Kapalua Ziplines - this was really cool. We’ve ziplined a lot of places, so I’m as much about zipping through really cool scenery as I am about big, fast ziplines, and this was a great combo of both. I agonized when trying to choose a zipline company before our trip, and I think we chose really well! HIGHLY recommend.
Restaurants - I mentioned Humble Market Kitchin before, and they remained my favorite of the trip. Last night we went to Fleetwood’s on Front Street in Lahaina (owned by Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac), and I think that was the favorite of my husband and two sons (I also loved it, but loved HMK more). If you want a reservation - put your FP skills to work. They open reservations on OpenTable at midnight Hawaii time 30 days in advance, and they go FAST. You definitely want a rooftop table - the views are amazing!

We also ate at Hula Grill in Ka’anapali - amazing views and good food. And they take reservations, which is a huge plus! The hula pie is worth the calories.
We are about to land in Oahu to begin the last part of our adventure. More later!

@iujen94 - I'm really enjoying your trip reviews! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the rest of us.

Have a bunch of Clear credits. Thinking how to maximize it. No friends have taken me up on the offer yet. I don't think GC works as it doesn't go through Clear. Looks like renewal is automated, so can't renew early. Best I can come up with so far is do TCB at the $149 rate, get $10 back. Have DH's and my account separate, so get the $10 twice. It's a big IF if I'll have any plats or biz plats in a year for the renewal. If I just have one credit by then, can renew at the Delta or United rate $119 and move one account under another as family for $60.

Anyone have other thoughts?

I have a bunch of them too. Can you let me know what TCB is? I hate to waste them all, and we just bought Clear off DD's Green card a month ago (super annoying, Amex).

And I’ll say - if you’ve ever done a helicopter tour in Kauai (which we were lucky enough to do when we came to Hawaii 4 years ago), don’t bother going on a helicopter tour anywhere else, because nothing remotely compared to Kauai.
I did this on my honeymoon, and felt nauseous the whole time, so I kept my eyes closed to deal with it! 😂 My husband was like, "Open your eyes! You're missing the best part!" And all I could think of was, if I do that I'm gonna hurl!

Thanks for sharing your trip report with us! Have fun in Oahu!

Speaking of hard to use Amex credits, as anyone had luck using the Equinox credit by ordering stuff off of their website? Any DPs that say that buying stuff will count?

Next SW question - can I MDD two Chase personal cards, and qualify for the companion pass that way? DH was automatically approved for the Priority today. I’ve got a CP already, but it’ll expire at the end of this year so I’m thinking if DH can MDD, we might as well do it?
Yes, you must not have read @SouthFayetteFan fireside chats. He lays out this exact strategy and it works just like the CSR/CSP MDD.

All this SW talk led me to think about our companion passes. DH and I both hold them currently. They both expire at the end of the year. I was one of the lucky ones that had mine extended for a year due to COVID. My daughter is my companion and we use it a lot, I just counted and we'll get 17 round trips out of current CP including two trips to Hawaii. DH's CP doesn't get used as much because he doesn't have as much time off as I do.

DH could earn the CP for next year by doing the 80,000 Performance Business card option, that would push him over and earn him a CP for 2022. It would also net us 95,000 RR points which would be useful because we've used up most of ours with trips to Hawaii, and all the trips DD and I took. I hesitate because he'd only have the CP for one year vs two but I'm thinking it might still be worth it. The points would be nice and even if we used the CP a couple of times it would be useful.

Am I thinking crazy? Being shortsighted?
No. Are you close with the points they gave out at the beginning of the year towards CP? I have been using the AMEx airline credits to purchase DH’s flights this year plus the shopping portal and CC incentives and DH only needs 12k more points to maintain CP for 2022.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of them too. Can you let me know what TCB is? I hate to waste them all, and we just bought Clear off DD's Green card a month ago (super annoying, Amex).

Top Cashback :)

Speaking of hard to use Amex credits, as anyone had luck using the Equinox credit by ordering stuff off of their website? Any DPs that say that buying stuff will count?

I was hoping that too! But I think it only works for very specific membership types. 😞 It’s like Amex learned all the lessons from the temporary credits on how to maximize breakage. 🙄

UGH....I feel like I need some wine! My 16yo was flying on the BF's buddy pass back home tonight from DFW. She called me from the ticket counter because the agent asked her (she's 16) what happens to her checked bag if she doesn't get on :sad2: I told her to tell the agent, the pilot who gave her the pass will grab it, LOL. The flight was oversold w/ 4 on standby and she was the lowest. So we were freaking out she wouldn't get on. We also weren't thinking and didn't have her pack her carryon w/ items she'd need if stuck (contact solution, clothes, etc). Meanwhile the BF is in FLL coming home. He was supposed to land 20 min before her, so he was gonna grab her at the gate. So I have the fun of stressing over her getting on her flight. Well the BF texts me and tells me he's delayed. They were missing an FA, and now weather has them delayed. So my Friday night fun is spent on flight aware tracking both their flights, LOL. I told the BF to fly fast! LOL.

Top Cashback :)

I was hoping that too! But I think it only works for very specific membership types. 😞 It’s like Amex learned all the lessons from the temporary credits on how to maximize breakage. 🙄

Thanks. I was really hoping I could just buy something either online or at the local branch. I have no intention of joining another gym at this point. Even an overpriced water bottle would be better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter