I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so you had to ask them? it's not just on offer?
I was chatting on Twitter trying to get LUV vouchers for EBCI. They offered me 1000 points or the LUV voucher. I have since requested a few more LUV vouchers and wasn’t offered points, but I didn’t ask either. I’m sure they would have given me the points had I requested them.

I was chatting on Twitter trying to get LUV vouchers for EBCI. They offered me 1000 points or the LUV voucher. I have since requested a few more LUV vouchers and wasn’t offered points, but I didn’t ask either. I’m sure they would have given me the points had I requested them.
For those of us who are Twitter illiterate, how do you do this? So you just #southwest or is there some way to contact them on Twitter.

@StephPlum

I signed up for Twitter and once I had an account there’s a place to send direct messages. I searched Southwest and it gave me @SouthwestAir. I then sent them a message. It’s essentially the same as online chat. They replied to me within about 30 minutes and everything I needed was taken care of. They’re incredibly friendly and helpful. Definitely recommend signing up for Twitter just for that feature

A glimpse into your future, @Haley R ... Our Elliott is graduating from high school this year and we picked up our yard sign today. One "T". :rotfl2:

When we were talking about it at dinner, he reminded me of the time he went to summer camp and they spelled his name wrong on his name tag. He told one of the counselors and she said, "Are you sure?" :laughing:

From the critically acclaimed and ever popular series Fireside chats with @SouthFayetteFan comes the newest installment:
"What Now? How to Re-calibrate Your Churning Strategy"

(WARNING - THIS IS GOING TO BE SUPER LONG!)

I know many of you out there are wondering how to navigate the new reality in 2020. And no...I'm not talking about some pandemic - I'm talking about the fact that Chase Business Cards might be dead (or at the very least they are highly hit or miss with many more "misses" than "hits" lately).

First, a brief history lesson:
Imagine if you will a simpler churning time where 5/24 did not exist. Where a churner could pursue any card their heart desired. To some this may seem like a fairy tale land that could never have existed, but for the old guard, we remember it fondly as the golden era of churning. In my humble opinion, the introduction of 5/24 in early 2015 was the most impactful change to churning strategy that has ever occurred. Others may argue it was Amex introducing once per lifetime, but I hold to the fact that 5/24, the timing of when it was introduced, and subsequent fall-out with other issuers after the fact changed the churning landscape forever.

When 5/24 came along, suddenly the "get all the cards, as quickly as possible" strategy came into question. It actually took quite awhile for us to figure out that Chase business cards did NOT count in the "5" (although they were still subject to the 5/24 rule) - that fact I believe was discovered later in 2016. So as things evolved, for people who valued their <5/24 status, the strategy of all biz cards became very valuable. For those under 5/24, Chase biz cards were a lucrative way to protect your 5/24 status and continue to rake in URs. For those over 5/24 trying to get back under, biz cards from other issuers were a godsend.

I employed such a strategy throughout much of 2016-2018 when getting back under 5/24. From June 2016 until now my wife has gotten 15 cards and 13 of them were for her small business. For me, it started in Oct of 2017 when I got 10 straight business cards until recently going for a SW personal offer.

Nonetheless, once one obtained a sub 5/24 status (or for somebody starting out) if you had a qualifying small business, it has been relatively easy to maintain that precious status through Chase's extensive lineup of great biz card offers! That is...until recently:

So what's changed:
Thanks for bearing with me on the history lesson. As you might know, churning history is one of my hobbies (yes, I realize how pathetic that in addition having credit cards be a hobby of mine... the history of credit card offers is also a hobby... but I digress)...

Let's go over the recent plethora of (bad) news:
  • Late March: CIP introduces a public 100k UR/$15k MSR offer
  • Just days later: I write-up a fireside chat hypothesizing that 80k UR CIP support links might be doomed
  • April 1st: That hypothesis starts to appear like a reality as the ability to generate new CIP links is taken away
  • As April continues: Existing links continue to work...but it feels like it's only a matter of time. At some point during the month, the ability to generate CIU/CIP links also disappears.
  • April 16th: Chase makes some major changes to their business card application format and appears to tighten up on sole prop approvals.
  • Days Ago: I share additional thoughts on the disappearance of support links.
And as you likely have read on the thread, there are scattered DPs of biz card applications going immediately to 7-10 days, and getting flat out denied. Few and far between are the success stories, and they are unexplainable... there does not appear to be a "secret sauce" to getting a Chase Biz card right now. I know that some of us are searching for the "reason" behind this (is it COVID, if not, what is it?)... truthfully it doesn't matter. I would assume that this change is permanent. Rarely does something change for the negative in this game and then later get better again. It's a shame, but it's often true - embrace this as the new reality.

So where does this leave us?
- We cannot assume that Chase business cards will be a part of our go forward strategy.

This should come as no surprise. There are constant warnings on the thread and in different forums/blogs that the only constant in churning is change. Some might remember in a previous fireside chat that I HIGHLY recommended going for 2 Chase SW Biz cards to reach your CP this year leaving the personal option open for the future. I promise I have no insider information here, I just sometimes take really good guesses... But again, assume this is a permanent change.

- STOP cancelling your existing Chase Biz cards when the AF posts.
This might be your last chance to hold a CIP, CIC, or CIU. With the game constantly in flux, you want to keep these cards OPEN so you could PC them in the future if something good comes along. Also, try to keep ample Biz Credit Limit available across those cards so that you can use it to PC in the future if necessary. I might consider holding 2 CICs right now vs. cancelling a CIP. What if the long-rumored Chase Ink Reserve comes along and you want it due to some awesome benefits? You gotta have an open card to do a PC to grab it! If you think I'm crazy here, just ask the people who hold the old Chase Ink+ how they feel about that card (am I right, @calypso726 and @Albort ???)

EDIT: To be clear, I’m not advocating for people to pay AFs. Just don’t cancel the card! PC it to a CIC or a CIU and avoid the AF. IF you cancel you might never get a CIC in the future. I’d rather have 3 CICs now than cancel 2 of my Chase biz cards and only have 1. IF I want a CIP again the future for some purpose (it to transfer URs to partners) I need a card to PC from. I have NEVER regretted PCing a card and leaving it open. You can always call back and cancel it tomorrow, or a month from now, or a year from now!

- ADDENDUM: Assess how you should best manage your Chase credit limits.
A wise person (aka @Lain) mentioned that this would be a good time to also call out that certain PCs require a minimum CL. We've seen that PCing a biz card often requires at least $5k in CL. PCing to a CSR might require $10k. These policies can vary a bit by card, but it's important to keep enough CL available to complete these PCs when necessary. It's also important to note that you can easily transfer CL between personal cards, or between business cards (but not between the 2 categories) very easily by calling in or even via SM. So each card doesn't need to keep significant CL on it, BUT overall you need to have enough CL to effectively accomplish a PC. (It's also possible to increase CLs down the line if you agree to a credit pull but I would be especially wary of doing this on biz cards as it could spark a review of your account and not bring a favorable result!)

- Familiarize yourself with all other Biz Card issuers:
  • American Express remains a fickle beast. The pop-up always looms, keeping in their good graces with ongoing spend can be difficult, BUT they might become an important part of your future strategy. Focus on all-time best offers as the once per lifetime rule makes all of their cards "un-churnable".
  • Citi has limited biz card options but if you can find a good use for AA miles that card seems like a no-brainer to mix in while preserving your 5/24 status. Make sure it's at a high offer because once you get it, you're locked out for 48 months. And don't play games with Citi sign-up offers because they will come for you, they will find you, and they will kill you... (or at least shut you down).
  • Barclays is a great mystery. They have some decent biz cards out there but they are inconsistent in their application procedures. It seems like you want to have some sort to biz card history before going with them (maybe?) or they might ask for lots of entity documents and proof of business income. Again, they are very inconsistent with this so don't let it spook you from trying them.
  • Bank of America should die a slow painful death... Oh, wait - they haven't wronged your family yet? Well they will... but for those able to get approved, they have some decent biz cards. I hate them and always will - but don't let my personal vendetta stand in the way of lucrative offers. Also be advised that they have inconsistent application procedures and might ask for entity documents and proof of business income.
  • Others: There are others out there. If you find a good offer or have a good "other" biz card - please share with the group! Also, be wary of any biz card issuers (Cap1 for example) that show up on your personal credit report. That achieves nothing as it still hits your "5" count in the 5/24 status.
- Evaluate if staying under 5/24 still makes sense:
As a group, we are primarily slow churners. I think the majority of us here are <5/24. That's ok...people on r/churning might make fun of us, but that's not cool, because as I've said many times: there's no wrong way to churn. That said, this new situation could be a game changer for YOU. Evaluate if <5/24 is the right strategy going forward. And if you're in 2 player mode, perhaps you go half and half. To be clear, I'm not saying that this is the RIGHT answer... I'm just saying it warrants consideration.

If you're eligible and haven't gotten a CSP and/or CSR yet, think about how long 48 months is. Get them NOW because 2024 is a long way away (the next time you'll be able to churn them). If you have a CSP/CSR in your past, figure out when you're eligible again and is it worth waiting around for that? If your plan is to churn SW personal cards and CSP/CSR going forward, you're going to need to fill in A LOT of gaps between the one-sapphire, one-southwest, and 24month and 48month rules respectively.

- If you decide to break out of 5/24:
While you're still under, make sure to get the cards you want, because you might never get them again. If you want a Hyatt card, a SW card, a Freedom...get them before you go over. And consider doing a 4/24 MDD to push the envelope and get that one extra Chase card. Also, NEVER close your Chase cards unless you're sure you won't want them in the future. Remember what I said earlier about being able to PC - you have to have open cards to do that! And that principle would also apply to personal cards for those >5/24.

- I have REALLY high organic spend...what should I do:
You're going to find that attempting to stay <5/24 will leave your without an MSR a lot of the time. BUT even going >5/24 could cause you issues because of Amex Popups and other things. Face the facts...with high organic spend you cannot always be MSRing... I know, that's sad, but it's your reality! Prioritize cards with category bonuses that work to your advantage. Have a Chase Freedom, a CIC, an Amex Gold, an Amex BBP, an Amex BCP (or others that fit your spending pattern) in your arsenal to earn major points in certain categories. Be strategic with your new cards and keep Amex happy with regular spend across all of your cards.

- We should immediately stop advising newbies to attempt Chase business cards.
An inquiry and a denial out of the gate is probably a tough way to start the game. I've adjusted my header comment on the CIP discussion thread on DISchurners as a result of this. I would not necessarily dissuade somebody from attempting a Chase Biz card, but since we ALWAYS provide the best advice here, you need to call out the risks. Other biz cards should probably still be emphasized though where appropriate (but keep in mind what was previously mentioned on this topic).

I'd also remind people that inquiries do not hurt your credit score in a large way so it's not necessarily a huge risk to try something. If somebody's score drops, IMO - it's not due to a simple inquiry. It's probably utilization or something else at play which can easily fix itself a month later.

- So what SHOULD we tell newbies:
Well, that's tricky. I think it's important to emphasize how biz cards can help them extend their <5/24 status. Make sure they're aware of the pitfalls of Amex (one card and then pop-up purgatory is a tough way to start); but emphasize that small biz cards are still a viable strategy. Also make them aware of the 48 month rule and one-sapphire rule on CSP and CSR. Getting a CSP and/or CSR out of the gate could make sense to get that 48 month clock ticking.

The MAJOR takeaway here though: I'd tell them to pause and take in all of the advice before making a move. 5/24 slots are basically like GOLD now so we want to be careful in rushing a newbie to a decision that might not be the best for them.

So what's this all mean? Is churning dead??
Of course not, you've heard me say this a million times before: the game will change but it will also live on! BUT it will require us to adapt and be more thoughtful with our strategy. Some might decide to go in a whole new direction, others may stay the course are <5/24 but with adaptations to make it work. I hope that we can all find a lucrative path forward in this new reality! :D

Last edited:
A glimpse into your future, @Haley R ... Our Elliott is graduating from high school this year and we picked up our yard sign today. One "T". :rotfl2:

When we were talking about it at dinner, he reminded me of the time he went to summer camp and they spelled his name wrong on his name tag. He told one of the counselors and she said, "Are you sure?" :laughing:
Oh geez can’t wait lol. I thought it was an easy enough name to spell but I guess not.

I was wondering about masks on flights. Does anyone know if the airlines will still be serving drinks and snacks since you'd have to remove the mask to eat/drink? Also, will masks be required for kids on SW?
My dd19's bf flew on AA yesterday and masks were not required but most wore one. They did not provide any drinks or snacks. He said there were only about 30 people on the plane. Seats were preassigned beforehand and when he board (flying alone), he was seated in a row with two others. Once the flight attendant realized he was not with them, they moved him to a row by himself.

@StephPlum

I signed up for Twitter and once I had an account there’s a place to send direct messages. I searched Southwest and it gave me @SouthwestAir. I then sent them a message. It’s essentially the same as online chat. They replied to me within about 30 minutes and everything I needed was taken care of. They’re incredibly friendly and helpful. Definitely recommend signing up for Twitter just for that feature

I just DM’ed @SouthwestAir for the first time last week and couldn’t have been more happy with the results. The really short version is they were able to make changes to our flight I could not get done over the phone. If you want the long version, here goes...

We are taking our first trip to Aulani in July (fingers crossed) and while SW doesn’t have a direct flight from DAL to HNL, we did have a same day flight with a layover in SJC. The one-way fare for that flight had dropped from $650 to $203 (booked on points) the last several weeks. I had heard that SW was cutting flights to Hawaii in May/June, so I was not shocked when our flight was cancelled.

SW changed our flight to DAL/AUS/PHX/SJC/HNL with a plane change at each stop. Not only was I not excited about so many connections, but this change wouldn’t work because they had us landing in SJC after the connecting flight departed, so that obviously needed to change. Before I called to update, I did my research and found that OAK to HNL was the route that was still running in May/June, so I knew our best option was connecting there. We talked about the possibility of flying to OAK and staying the night to fly out to HNL the next morning, but decided we would rather have a longer travel time and get to HNL in the same day, as originally planned.

So, I call SW with the new itinerary and spent over an hour on the phone with them. I was firm that my fare price shouldn’t change because SW changed my flight and I had identified an alternative that still achieved my goal in same day final destination. The rep was certainly understanding and recognized that the changed flight wouldn’t work as booked and started the rebooking process. After a long hold, she came back on and told me that they couldn’t rebook with a different city pairing for the same fare, but they could rebook me in Aug through SJC. I told her that was unacceptable, as our DVC reservations are not easily moveable and we need to leave on the date as originally planned for the fare that was originally booked. She can’t do anything so I ask to speak to her supervisor, who proceeds to give me the same spill but does give me the phone number to a higher level of customer service and says they might be able to make the change.

I call this number and walk them through the whole scenario and she comes back with two options as solutions. First, we could arrive in SJC with 15 min to make our connecting flight or have 30 min for the connection, but the flight time is almost doubled because their is an additional connection added to the leg. I told her neither of those options were acceptable and I didn’t understand why they couldn’t rebook us through OAK at the same fare. She told me the directive had come from the CEO that they could not change city pairings and honor the fare and she would be risking her job if she made that change. I am extremely frustrated by this point and tell her that this flies against SW’s usually customer friendly attitude and all of the changes they have implemented over the last several weeks during these troubling times. She sticks to her guns and says she does not have a supervisor I can speak to. So, I hang up thinking we are going to have to rebook our flight and pay the increased fare.

That’s when I decide to DM on Twitter and they fixed the entire situation. Got us rebooked on the flight I wanted with no extra charge. And it was easier than being on the phone because I could continue to work and just respond when convenient. I was tempted to call back to the “special” number and let them know it had been resolved, but it wasn’t worth it. Just glad it was over for now....here’s hoping they don’t change the flight again! But definitely will be using DM @SouthwestAir in the future.

I think I have decided I just need to breakdown and cancel Australia in Aug. It just won’t be the same experience. What fun is it to fly 1st class if we can’t even access the Qantas lounge to enjoy a burger or something pre-flight? I am going to cry as I do it since it was reliving our honeymoon and a celebration of 20 years of marriage and a chance to experience Australia through DS’s eyes. I am beyond 💔 but it’s time to put my big girl panties on and face reality.

I think I have decided I just need to breakdown and cancel Australia in Aug. It just won’t be the same experience. What fun is it to fly 1st class if we can’t even access the Qantas lounge to enjoy a burger or something pre-flight? I am going to cry as I do it since it was reliving our honeymoon and a celebration of 20 years of marriage and a chance to experience Australia through DS’s eyes. I am beyond 💔 but it’s time to put my big girl panties on and face reality.
I still haven't cancelled my end of August Europe trip. I figure, it costs me nothing to wait at this point. It's the same whether I cancel now or wait until middle of July to make a decision, so I am going to wait for now.

From the critically acclaimed and ever popular series Fireside chats with @SouthFayetteFan comes the newest installment:
"What Now? How to Re-calibrate Your Churning Strategy"

(WARNING - THIS IS GOING TO BE SUPER LONG!)

I know many of you out there are wondering how to navigate the new reality in 2020. And no...I'm not talking about some pandemic - I'm talking about the fact that Chase Business Cards might be dead (or at the very least they are highly hit or miss with many more "misses" than "hits" lately).

First, a brief history lesson:
Imagine if you will a simpler churning time where 5/24 did not exist. Where a churner could pursue any card their heart desired. To some this may seem like a fairy tale land that could never have existed, but for the old guard, we remember it fondly as the golden era of churning. In my humble opinion, the introduction of 5/24 in early 2015 was the most impactful change to churning strategy that has ever occurred. Others may argue it was Amex introducing once per lifetime, but I hold to the fact that 5/24, the timing of when it was introduced, and subsequent fall-out with other issuers after the fact changed the churning landscape forever.

When 5/24 came along, suddenly the "get all the cards, as quickly as possible" strategy came into question. It actually took quite awhile for us to figure out that Chase business cards did NOT count in the "5" (although they were still subject to the 5/24 rule) - that fact I believe was discovered later in 2016. So as things evolved, for people who valued their <5/24 status, the strategy of all biz cards became very valuable. For those under 5/24, Chase biz cards were a lucrative way to protect your 5/24 status and continue to rake in URs. For those over 5/24 trying to get back under, biz cards from other issuers were a godsend.

I employed such a strategy throughout much of 2016-2018 when getting back under 5/24. From June 2016 until now my wife has gotten 15 cards and 13 of them were for her small business. For me, it started in Oct of 2017 when I got 10 straight business cards until recently going for a SW personal offer.

Nonetheless, once one obtained a sub 5/24 status (or for somebody starting out) if you had a qualifying small business, it has been relatively easy to maintain that precious status through Chase's extensive lineup of great biz card offers! That is...until recently:

So what's changed:
Thanks for bearing with me on the history lesson. As you might know, churning history is one of my hobbies (yes, I realize how pathetic that in addition having credit cards be a hobby of mine... the history of credit card offers is also a hobby... but I digress)...

Let's go over the recent plethora of (bad) news:
  • Late March: CIP introduces a public 100k UR/$15k MSR offer
  • Just days later: I write-up a fireside chat hypothesizing that 80k UR CIP support links might be doomed
  • April 1st: That hypothesis starts to appear like a reality as the ability to generate new CIP links is taken away
  • As April continues: Existing links continue to work...but it feels like it's only a matter of time. At some point during the month, the ability to generate CIU/CIP links also disappears.
  • April 16th: Chase makes some major changes to their business card application format and appears to tighten up on sole prop approvals.
  • Days Ago: I share additional thoughts on the disappearance of support links.
And as you likely have read on the thread, there are scattered DPs of biz card applications going immediately to 7-10 days, and getting flat out denied. Few and far between are the success stories, and they are unexplainable... there does not appear to be a "secret sauce" to getting a Chase Biz card right now. I know that some of us are searching for the "reason" behind this (is it COVID, if not, what is it?)... truthfully it doesn't matter. I would assume that this change is permanent. Rarely does something change for the negative in this game and then later get better again. It's a shame, but it's often true - embrace this as the new reality.

So where does this leave us?
- We cannot assume that Chase business cards will be a part of our go forward strategy.

This should come as no surprise. There are constant warnings on the thread and in different forums/blogs that the only constant in churning is change. Some might remember in a previous fireside chat that I HIGHLY recommended going for 2 Chase SW Biz cards to reach your CP this year leaving the personal option open for the future. I promise I have no insider information here, I just sometimes take really good guesses... But again, assume this is a permanent change.

- STOP cancelling your existing Chase Biz cards when the AF posts.
This might be your last chance to hold a CIP, CIC, or CIU. With the game constantly in flux, you want to keep these cards OPEN so you could PC them in the future if something good comes along. Also, try to keep ample Biz Credit Limit available across those cards so that you can use it to PC in the future if necessary. I might consider holding 2 CICs right now vs. cancelling a CIP. What if the long-rumored Chase Ink Reserve comes along and you want it due to some awesome benefits? You gotta have an open card to do a PC to grab it! If you think I'm crazy here, just ask the people who hold the old Chase Ink+ how they feel about that card (am I right, @calypso726 and @Albort ???)

- Familiarize yourself with all other Biz Card issuers:
  • American Express remains a fickle beast. The pop-up always looms, keeping in their good graces with ongoing spend can be difficult, BUT they might become an important part of your future strategy. Focus on all-time best offers as the once per lifetime rule makes all of their cards "un-churnable".
  • Citi has limited biz card options but if you can find a good use for AA miles that card seems like a no-brainer to mix in while preserving your 5/24 status. Make sure it's at a high offer because once you get it, you're locked out for 48 months. And don't play games with Citi sign-up offers because they will come for you, they will find you, and they will kill you... (or at least shut you down).
  • Barclays is a great mystery. They have some decent biz cards out there but they are inconsistent in their application procedures. It seems like you want to have some sort to biz card history before going with them (maybe?) or they might ask for lots of entity documents and proof of business income. Again, they are very inconsistent with this so don't let it spook you from trying them.
  • Bank of America should die a slow painful death... Oh, wait - they haven't wronged your family yet? Well they will... but for those able to get approved, they have some decent biz cards. I hate them and always will - but don't let my personal vendetta stand in the way of lucrative offers. Also be advised that they have inconsistent application procedures and might ask for entity documents and proof of business income.
  • Others: There are others out there. If you find a good offer or have a good "other" biz card - please share with the group! Also, be wary of any biz card issuers (Cap1 for example) that show up on your personal credit report. That achieves nothing as it still hits your "5" count in the 5/24 status.
- Evaluate if staying under 5/24 still makes sense:
As a group, we are primarily slow churners. I think the majority of us here are <5/24. That's ok...people on r/churning might make fun of us, but that's not cool, because as I've said many times: there's no wrong way to churn. That said, this new situation could be a game changer for YOU. Evaluate if <5/24 is the right strategy going forward. And if you're in 2 player mode, perhaps you go half and half. To be clear, I'm not saying that this is the RIGHT answer... I'm just saying it warrants consideration.

If you're eligible and haven't gotten a CSP and/or CSR yet, think about how long 48 months is. Get them NOW because 2024 is a long way away (the next time you'll be able to churn them). If you have a CSP/CSR in your past, figure out when you're eligible again and is it worth waiting around for that? If your plan is to churn SW personal cards and CSP/CSR going forward, you're going to need to fill in A LOT of gaps between the one-sapphire, one-southwest, and 24month and 48month rules respectively.

- If you decide to break out of 5/24:
While you're still under, make sure to get the cards you want, because you might never get them again. If you want a Hyatt card, a SW card, a Freedom...get them before you go over. And consider doing a 4/24 MDD to push the envelope and get that one extra Chase card. Also, NEVER close your Chase cards unless you're sure you won't want them in the future. Remember what I said earlier about being able to PC - you have to have open cards to do that! And that principle would also apply to personal cards for those >5/24.

- I have REALLY high organic spend...what should I do:
You're going to find that attempting to stay <5/24 will leave your without an MSR a lot of the time. BUT even going >5/24 could cause you issues because of Amex Popups and other things. Face the facts...with high organic spend you cannot always be MSRing... I know, that's sad, but it's your reality! Prioritize cards with category bonuses that work to your advantage. Have a Chase Freedom, a CIC, an Amex Gold, an Amex BBP, an Amex BCP (or others that fit your spending pattern) in your arsenal to earn major points in certain categories. Be strategic with your new cards and keep Amex happy with regular spend across all of your cards.

- We should immediately stop advising newbies to attempt Chase business cards.
An inquiry and a denial out of the gate is probably a tough way to start the game. I've adjusted my header comment on the CIP discussion thread on DISchurners as a result of this. I would not necessarily dissuade somebody from attempting a Chase Biz card, but since we ALWAYS provide the best advice here, you need to call out the risks. Other biz cards should probably still be emphasized though where appropriate (but keep in mind what was previously mentioned on this topic).

I'd also remind people that inquiries do not hurt your credit score in a large way so it's not necessarily a huge risk to try something. If somebody's score drops, IMO - it's not due to a simple inquiry. It's probably utilization or something else at play which can easily fix itself a month later.

- So what SHOULD we tell newbies:
Well, that's tricky. I think it's important to emphasize how biz cards can help them extend their <5/24 status. Make sure they're aware of the pitfalls of Amex (one card and then pop-up purgatory is a tough way to start); but emphasize that small biz cards are still a viable strategy. Also make them aware of the 48 month rule and one-sapphire rule on CSP and CSR. Getting a CSP and/or CSR out of the gate could make sense to get that 48 month clock ticking.

The MAJOR takeaway here though: I'd tell them to pause and take in all of the advice before making a move. 5/24 slots are basically like GOLD now so we want to be careful in rushing a newbie to a decision that might not be the best for them.

So what's this all mean? Is churning dead??
Of course not, you've heard me say this a million times before: the game will change but it will also live on! BUT it will require us to adapt and be more thoughtful with our strategy. Some might decide to go in a whole new direction, others may stay the course are <5/24 but with adaptations to make it work. I hope that we can all find a lucrative path forward in this new reality! :D

Like everyone else, I am unhappy with the current turn of events. I have always been a slow churner, but I have always churned with a travel goal in mind. Unfortunately, the way things stand now, I will have to rethink my goals. Unfortunately, I am now stuck with miles and points in programs which are devaluating them (I'm looking at you United and BonPoop). I have to use those up, so my MRs and URs should continue to accumulate. I agree about not cancelling the CIPs right away when the AP hits. You never know what will come out down the pike. Additionally, at this point, I will have DH try to use a CIP link. His credit score can afford the minor hit and I think it's still worth trying. After that, I really don't know what my plans are. I might lay low for a while, just using the cards I have for the category spend.

What is a Chase a Freedom business? 🤣

Sorry about your denials though.
ugh. I messed up the name of it. It was the Ink Business Unlimited I think. I can't see the application in my application section; I'll have to wait for the denial letter. I was surprised that they didn't send an email. The credit report inquiry just says JCMorgan Chase so I can't see it there either. :(

Thanks for catching that. I'll edit it to correct it.

It’s crazy how some names we think are easy people get wrong...my son is Keith...but people sometimes spell it Kieth :confused3 ..
My last name understandably causes issues for people in both spelling and pronunciation, but I am most amused when they assume the pronunciation and spelling are delinked, like Coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, whose last name has no K sound in the beginning, and his initial 'krzyz" is expressed vocally as "shuhszh". And because of crazy examples like that, people sometimes twist themselves into pretzels trying to figure out my last name, which is actually quite simple and the spelling and pronunciation match exactly. The only real issue is whether the middle syllable rhymes with tow or cow. (It's cow in America but was probably tow back in Poland). But I'll never ding you and often won't even even correct you for getting that wrong. But if you think my name is pronounced "sha" something, or if you hear it and try to overcomplicate the spelling with a bunch of KZ combos, or 5 consecutive consonants, I will make it clear that unlike Coach K, my family knows how to spell. 😉 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter