I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't sew, but I wonder if I can cobble something together by hand. I'd rather have something I can wash.

I made a couple out of old Lularoe leggings. They're definitely not medical-grade, they're not even the recommended 100% cotton, but there is a "pocket" that you can put filters into. I read that you can even cut up the static filter material from HVAC filters (if you have unused ones that you maybe store in the garage or something) to stuff in between the two "layers". As a bonus, I had Donald Duck leggings, so my husband's thrilled that he has Donald Duck masks haha.

I made a couple out of old Lularoe leggings. They're definitely not medical-grade, they're not even the recommended 100% cotton, but there is a "pocket" that you can put filters into. I read that you can even cut up the static filter material from HVAC filters (if you have unused ones that you maybe store in the garage or something) to stuff in between the two "layers". As a bonus, I had Donald Duck leggings, so my husband's thrilled that he has Donald Duck masks haha.
I don't think we have anything we could use as a filter. We used to have the blue shop towels in our garage, but ran out and they're hard to get now. Idk if we should be trying to figure something out like that or just not worry about it.

We would be on Maui right now, but instead we are on almost 4 weeks of shelter in place. Crazy. Anyway, I'm playing chicken with United and Alaska, waiting for them to cancel my mid-April flights for Star Wars Half Marathon weekend, and trying to keep track of all my other travel changes I need to make. Such a bummer.

I just got hit with my CIP annual fee so I'm planning to downgrade to the business unlimited. I think I recall that I need to call and that I can't do it by chat?

I don't sew, but I wonder if I can cobble something together by hand. I'd rather have something I can wash.

We have been following that video that I'd seen on Twitter (I think someone already posted it here) that uses a folded bandana, but instead we are using tea towels. They are one of the things that I collect on my many travels and are supposed to be one of the best choices for a make-your-own mask. We use them with hair ties. I have about a hundred of them so we can all wear them once and toss them in the wash hamper. Totally agree that you should be washing them every time you go out.

I don't think we have anything we could use as a filter. We used to have the blue shop towels in our garage, but ran out and they're hard to get now. Idk if we should be trying to figure something out like that or just not worry about it.
I saw something on Twitter with people using coffee filters!

I also read that vacuum cleaner bags make almost as good as N95 masks.

I saw something on Twitter with people using coffee filters!

I also read that vacuum cleaner bags make almost as good as N95 masks.
We don't have vacuum bags or coffee filters lol. I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy those when we literally don't leave the house. I'm going to my appointment alone tomorrow so Dh can stay home and limit his exposure. I don't want to risk him not being let into the delivery room with me. Besides my appointments, we only leave to go on walks or drives. It's been pretty horrible to walk here, though. I wasn't kidding when I said we walk at 9 pm. Dh has been going to bed before that, though, so we haven't been walking much. He tried to go on a walk during his lunch today and said there were so many people he had to come back home. No one here is distancing themselves and it's annoying that we're always the ones to cross the street or walk IN the street to get away from others.

For my Virginia friends including @pillow and @DisneyMandC the Washington model now shows us peaking 4/20 and our deaths are cut in half.

And I'm confused on the JHU map. It shows two deaths in my county but we have one nursing home alone that has had 20 deaths. And they didn't just happen.
Sorry if this was already addressed, but be careful with the results reported on the Washington website. It seems like they occasionally have errors in what they report, like somebody entering the data misses a zero, or something. If the results today are suddenly drastically different than yesterday, take it with a grain of salt. If you see the same results for several days in a row, then it's probably an accurate prediction.

(I don't have any inside knowledge here - it's just that the predictions radically improved for my state about a week ago, then went back to the prior prediction a day later.)

Sorry if this was already addressed, but be careful with the results reported on the Washington website. It seems like they occasionally have errors in what they report, like somebody entering the data misses a zero, or something. If the results today are suddenly drastically different than yesterday, take it with a grain of salt. If you see the same results for several days in a row, then it's probably an accurate prediction.

(I don't have any inside knowledge here - it's just that the predictions radically improved for my state about a week ago, then went back to the prior prediction a day later.)

Weird. I can't believe they actually enter data for something like this. Should be downloaded and pulled into their model. We do a ton of economic modeling (huge national data sets) and I can't think of anything we manually enter.

VA was a bizarre outlier. We were the last to peak and our death total made no sense. Our deaths were further reduced when I checked this morning. We were at 3,200, then 1,400, now 900.

I'm surprised Washington doesn't have a better data governance process. I also think given the federal government is using it, it's generally a good model. But when you put a massive model like this together quickly, you definitely can make a mistake here and there.

I believe (I'm not there yet) we just got mandated to wear masks at work... so I suppose it's time to shop for a cute on on Etsy somewhere with Disney fabric or something. Yay....?
If you want to PM me your address I can ship you one of the ones I made. They are cloth -- nothing fancy, but they fit well and will do the trick. Machine washable.

Weird. I can't believe they actually enter data for something like this. Should be downloaded and pulled into their model. We do a ton of economic modeling (huge national data sets) and I can't think of anything we manually enter.

VA was a bizarre outlier. We were the last to peak and our death total made no sense. Our deaths were further reduced when I checked this morning. We were at 3,200, then 1,400, now 900.

I'm surprised Washington doesn't have a better data governance process. I also think given the federal government is using it, it's generally a good model. But when you put a massive model like this together quickly, you definitely can make a mistake here and there.

There was an article on NPR yesterday about the Univ of Wash data . . . https://www.npr.org/sections/health...y-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

I girl I work with did that for all of us in the office. She said her sister used to sell them, so she had a lot of pairs, but she hardly ever used them. She said she was happy to be able to finally do something with them lol!

So AA has updated it's change policy through September. I have one ways booked from Vancouver to Reagan for August which I doubt I'll need (Alaska cruise). I think they changed my flight time enough that I can get a refund, but if not, it sounds like they'll give a credit good through 2021. I'd rather have the UR points, but I can probably use the credit too to visit my parents in Michigan or Florida.

I also cancelled my 2021 Spring break cruise on Royal Caribbean. I'm going to offer the break to my ex since he was supposed to have the kids this year and take them to Chicago to see My Fair Lady and a Bulls game. I also would rather have the 200k UR in my account right now. I don't think I'll cash them out at this point but it's nice to know they are there.

My match bonus posted to my Southwest Credit Card account (and then transferred to my Rapid Rewards account). I had applied for the SW personal card when it was at 40,000 (I believe) points. The day after I applied they came out with the higher bonus. I sent them a SM and they said to notify them when I had reached the higher spend requirement and they would match it. This month, I met the spend, but I didn't have to remind them to match - the points were already in my account.

Another bonus is that I had the special offer on my account to receive a 25% bonus on all points that posted to my account in April, May and June, so hopefully, I'll get the 25% bonus on those points as well since they posted April 4th!

Now - looking forward to being able to spend the points!!

Is anyone still planning fall/winter trips?
Still have our Washington DC trip booked for October.

I just booked Yavapai Lodge (Grand Canyon) for Christmas week, I was only able to get until the 24th on the Chase Travel Portal, but I have Bright Angel Lodge booked until the 25th. Still holding out for some Phantom Ranch cancellations that week.

I bought a Mickey one off Etsy. It's hard to find one on there that isn't 3 week shipping, at least that was the case three days ago. I finally found some and placed an order only to have it canceled today. I wish I had a sewing machine and some skill lol But, I have a friend in AZ that is making me some masks so we're good now.

Thought I just struck gold seeing that Kirkland tp. Added to my cart went to check out and it's not available. I guess I will keep stalking and maybe I'll get lucky enough to get some along with green beans.
I am running low on baby headbands (which is what I use for the elastic that goes behind the ears), so I went on Amazon last night to purchase more. All sold out -- unless I want shipping at the end of May. No problem, I thought, I will buy elastic. Nope, also sold out everywhere. I went through my limited stash of sewing supplies this morning and found 14 yards of elastic, thank goodness (I have 50 cotton quilting patches being delivered tomorrow, which will net 25 masks if I use an old t-shirt for the backing). It only takes 20-25 minutes to make a mask now that I have a system in place.

I just booked Yavapai Lodge (Grand Canyon) for Christmas week, I was only able to get until the 24th on the Chase Travel Portal, but I have Bright Angel Lodge booked until the 25th. Still holding out for some Phantom Ranch cancellations that week.

I would like to. We are in transition years with our family due to the kids becoming adults - oldest DD graduated college last year, middle DD is graduating this year and DS is graduating high school this year. I never know who will be able to go so I can't really plan in advance like I used to be able to.

I hadn't booked anything, but I was thinking since DH and I will basically be empty nesters we'd take a couple of fall long-weekend trips. I was thinking possibly San Antonio and the Boston area. I'm still hoping to do that - but everything seems so up in the air, I can't make myself try to plan anything right now.

Also, my sister and I had talked about trying to take an extended family trip leaving the day after Christmas to possibly go on a week long cruise. As much as I love cruises, I can't make myself get excited about that either with everything that's going on :guilty:

We still have Wine and Dine race week/weekend in early November and marathon weekend in January booked, although those are also DVC so there are some complications if we cancel now but those race weekends are still on and we want to go. As of now our plan is to go if they're on, though.

We do have a long weekend mid-June at WDW to visit friends that I am much less sure about. Those are booked at Swan though, so we have some time.

We always take a weekend in NYC to see the Christmas lights in early to mid December and although I don't book that until closer to time, we are still planning to do that as well.

I logged into my United account and noticed that my June 11 trip was now eligible for free cancellation. I cancelled it and the miles immediately redeposited. No mention of any redeposit fees, so we shall see.

ETA: no refund of fees paid on platinum amex yet. I will give it a couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter