I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it for the first time last night. My wife has been obsessed with it since 2016, we tried to get tickets in NY, Chicago, Minneapolis and ended up getting her a season ticket to the theater in Appleton just so she could see Hamilton. I enjoyed it, especially the first half. Some of the second half I felt dragged on too long. I am a history fan and a fan of intelligent rap music, so I knew I would like it. Not enough to spend $500 to see it, but I'm glad I watched it. I will probably watch it again at some point, my wife has already told me she will have it on the entire day Monday while she's "working" from home.

Enjoying all the Hamilton talk. We watched yesterday and loved it. One of my biggest travel regrets will always be passing on a pair of orchestra resale tickets to see the original cast on Broadway while we were vacationing in NYC. At the time we were making a lot less and our trips were very frugal, and I figured it was such a smash hit we would have the chance to see it in the future. I had no idea most would only stay on for a year. Crazy thing is, those tickets resale were less expensive than face value costs now! But we are lucky, we've seen it 3x on Broadway. We had tickets to the DC run Thursday, July 2, but of course it was cancelled.

Somewhat related note: On a trip to Philadelphia a few years ago, we had no plans on one day and went to the National Constitution Center on a whim because it was close to our hotel (Wyndham Philadelphia on Arch St). The museum is pretty good with lots of interesting tidbits, but as we were about to leave a worker asked if we had seen the Signers exhibit and encouraged us to check it out. Glad we listened to him, because we unknowingly stumbled on one of the coolest exhibits I had ever seen - life-sized models of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention! The museum worker explained that because the founding fathers were all men of relative wealth, they had personal tailors, and their measurements survived history, so the models are very close to accurate.

If you're ever in Philadelphia, don't miss it!

The only picture I have of Hamilton's model is with DW and she's not available at the moment to give permission to post it, so this picture including a seated Benjamin Franklin (on the right side of the table) directing traffic will have to do instead.

20180616_111646.jpg

Hamilton is my favorite musical. We’ve seen it 7 times in NYC, DC, SF, Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale. Rent used to be my favorite but that’s now my 2nd favorite. I am not a fan of rap music, operas or history. I read the lyrics while listening to the soundtrack long before seeing the show. I think that helped me appreciate the genius of the writing.

I like history and living in the bubble that I do, I'm immersed in it. Don't ask me for historical fact or fiction - my mind is a sieve for remembering things now, although at odd times it will let me spout off as if I know what I'm talking about.

Another huge Hamilton fan here. I’ve seen it on stage in NY and Chicago, and have tickets to the Broadway series here in Boise where it is part of the 2021 season (crossing fingers it doesn’t get cancelled because it is scheduled for Feb). I watched the first act on Disney+ last night and plan to watch the second act tonight. I do agree that it loses something from stage to screen, but they did an incredible job filming it. I absolutely love the music, mostly because the lyrics are sos so clever. This is one of the reasons Wicked is another of my faves. Contrary to lots of the above posts, I absolutely hated Rent. Not sure why, since I am a fan of musicals in general. The story and music of Rent just didn’t grab me at all.....

Hamilton is my favorite musical. We’ve seen it 7 times in NYC, DC, SF, Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale. Rent used to be my favorite but that’s now my 2nd favorite. I am not a fan of rap music, operas or history. I read the lyrics while listening to the soundtrack long before seeing the show. I think that helped me appreciate the genius of the writing.

I totally agree about the soundtrack and knowing the songs before. We absolutely love Hamilton. Saw it on Broadway with some of the original cast (DD has a great pic with George Washington, aka Christopher Jackson) and in London. The London cast was just as good as Broadway and in some cases better (loved the guy who played Hamilton).

I am also not a rap fan. But DD insisted I listen to it on a long drive to Fresno when it was about a year old. She helped explain what was going on before each song, and I literally cried while driving. "Forgiveness" and "The Orphanage" still get me!

Most of the songs are traditional broadway, but I read somewhere that without the rap songs the musical would be 6 hours long or something like that.

I have to say that it changed my opinion on rap. I still don't love it, but I definitely appreciate it more. And I can't imagine the cabinet scene without it. That was one song I didn't love before seeing it in person.

Another huge Hamilton fan here. I’ve seen it on stage in NY and Chicago, and have tickets to the Broadway series here in Boise where it is part of the 2021 season (crossing fingers it doesn’t get cancelled because it is scheduled for Feb). I watched the first act on Disney+ last night and plan to watch the second act tonight. I do agree that it loses something from stage to screen, but they did an incredible job filming it. I absolutely love the music, mostly because the lyrics are sos so clever. This is one of the reasons Wicked is another of my faves. Contrary to lots of the above posts, I absolutely hated Rent. Not sure why, since I am a fan of musicals in general. The story and music of Rent just didn’t grab me at all.....

We watched the entire thing as a family last night. I agree that something is lost on the small screen, but like you said the lyrics are so awesome I barely noticed. The one performance that I think was enhanced by the tv version is King George since you can see all of Jonathan's expressions. He is sooo good.

Count me in as also not loving rent--which is weird since I love most musicals

My all-time favorites: Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Mis, Hamilton, Six, Wicked, and Phantom.

Honestly, it's not my favorite musical to watch, probably not even in my top 5, but it makes the top 10. (Maybe that's because I've seen it and listened to the soundtrack too many times?). I still respect the heck out of it, though, especially Lin Manuel Miranda's writing. I mean, seriously, you pick up a book on Alexander Hamilton, and it prompts you to start writing songs that blend rap and pop and classical broadway? It's too crazy to imagine.

This, 100%. It's just a marvel to watch, for this reason. Lin Manuel is amazing (I don't mean his perfromance, I mean this). I was surprise at how much we enjoyed In The Heights though too.

I don't know if I have a favorite musical, I love so many. Wicked was amazing each of the 6th times I have seen it. For sentimental reasons I think it's my favorite because of the history my dd and I have with it. Also love Mamma Mia, Mary Poppins, Once, Next to Normal, Book of Mormon, geez I could probably go on and on. Priscilla Queen of the Desert is one that really surprised me.

I cannot stand Phantom or Cats though, ALW is NOT my thing. Except Joseph, for some reason I love Joseph.

I totally agree about the soundtrack and knowing the songs before. We absolutely love Hamilton. Saw it on Broadway with some of the original cast (DD has a great pic with George Washington, aka Christopher Jackson) and in London. The London cast was just as good as Broadway and in some cases better (loved the guy who played Hamilton).

I am also not a rap fan. But DD insisted I listen to it on a long drive to Fresno when it was about a year old. She helped explain what was going on before each song, and I literally cried while driving. "Forgiveness" and "The Orphanage" still get me!

Most of the songs are traditional broadway, but I read somewhere that without the rap songs the musical would be 6 hours long or something like that.

I have to say that it changed my opinion on rap. I still don't love it, but I definitely appreciate it more. And I can't imagine the cabinet scene without it. That was one song I didn't love before seeing it in person.

We watched the entire thing as a family last night. I agree that something is lost on the small screen, but like you said the lyrics are so awesome I barely noticed. The one performance that I think was enhanced by the tv version is King George since you can see all of Jonathan's expressions. He is sooo good.

Count me in as also not loving rent--which is weird since I love most musicals

My all-time favorites: Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Mis, Hamilton, Six, Wicked, and Phantom.

Yes!! Loved loved loved King George in the filmed version :)

Yes!! Loved loved loved King George in the filmed version :)
Just watched that scene and this time I could understand the words. He was good. I've never listened to a sound track. So I've got one experience, prior to today.

Watching Lin MM, I quickly had to google to find the actor who played Hamilton when I saw it 2 years ago. It was Austin Scott. I was very drawn into it by him, so much so that I will try to see 'Girl from the North Country' if Broadway ever gets going again and he is still in it.

Even with all the talk on here, I had not planned on watching Hamilton today. But I was resting and daughter came down and turned it on. I guess she has a Disney + subscription - I don't keep up with any of the streaming stuff, but I know if I want to see something, it will show up for me sooner or later.

We loved Hamilton in the theater and again on Disney+ last night. I'm not a fan of rap in general but it works here.

Somewhat related note: On a trip to Philadelphia a few years ago, we had no plans on one day and went to the National Constitution Center on a whim because it was close to our hotel (Wyndham Philadelphia on Arch St). The museum is pretty good with lots of interesting tidbits, but as we were about to leave a worker asked if we had seen the Signers exhibit and encouraged us to check it out. Glad we listened to him, because we unknowingly stumbled on one of the coolest exhibits I had ever seen - life-sized models of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention! The museum worker explained that because the founding fathers were all men of relative wealth, they had personal tailors, and their measurements survived history, so the models are very close to accurate.

If you're ever in Philadelphia, don't miss it!

The only picture I have of Hamilton's model is with DW and she's not available at the moment to give permission to post it, so this picture including a seated Benjamin Franklin (on the right side of the table) directing traffic will have to do instead.

View attachment 506368

Yes! It's a great museum and I love that room with all the presidents. I might have a few selfies with a founding father or two. I went alone when DH was in Philly on a business trip and then again last summer with DH and DD when we were in the city for her graduation. I've been there twice and another good one is the Revolutionary War museum which is on the other side of Independence Hall. It was new when DH and I toured it, and I was really impressed.

DS now wants to go on our Iceland/Norway cruise next year. OMG it was $10k already without him--lol! I need to figure out if he's serious. He always has said he has no interest in going to Europe because it takes too long to get there. I told him he'd be without an xbox for two weeks but he still wants to go. This is dd's graduation trip so I need to talk to her. And then in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm wasting a lot of energy on a trip which won't happen.

Ooh are we talking musicals? My favorites, in no particular order, are Hamilton, Wicked, Kinky Boots, and Book of Mormon. If I can cheat, I'd also like to include Stomp on there - technically, they make music!

We've seen Hamilton 3 times and every time has been the same Aaron Burr, played by Daniel Breaker. He's amazing. I like him better than Leslie Odom, although my only experience with Odom is on the movie and not in person. Also, our Lafayette/Jefferson was James Monroe-Iglehart (we saw him in Aladdin as Genie also!), who is phenomenal, but he's no Daveed Diggs.

Also we saw Wayne Brady as Lola in Kinky Boots and he is amazing.

Anyway, now I want to go back to Philadelphia and tour the historical sites.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite musical, but Hamilton is definitely up there. Saw it in Boston and Chicago. And had plans to see it in other places, before everything shut down. Also love Rent, Les Mis, Joseph, Miss Saigon, Come from Away, and probably several others i'm forgetting at the moment. Very happy that there is no dialogue. I'm not a fan of breaking out into song in between dialog. I like it all or nothing. ;) Also not a fan of rap or history. Actually really hate rap music. My kids play it all the time and it grates on my nerves. :rotfl: But I think Hamilton and Lin Manual Miranda are genius! So happy it's on Disney. I can watch Leslie Odom Jr and Daveed Diggs all day. :D

Just sayin’ most NYC-based actors/actresses have taken a paycheck role on one of the L&Os.
That's what DD and I do, when we sit down at every show. Scan the Playbill for L&O credits LOL. Since streaming services started original content though, the L&O credits are decreasing. We had a lot of Maisel credits this past season.

I really regretted not using the Amex Rimowa deal last year, and want to share that it's back on my Amex Platinum offers. Now, of course, I have no trips planned and no excuse to "need" a new suitcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter