I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, back from Disney and the boards look amazing....like it is 2019 even. Whoohoo!

So quick question so I can get caught up on my to-do list at home then caught up here...

I need to close DH's CIP today to get the AF refund. He has about 2500 points earned on next statement pending.

If I close it today, will he still get those points since he will still have a UR account thru his CSR?

He might or he might not. @kmc8826 closed her CIP with a 20k UR support bonus pending and still got it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...-addl-details.3729982/page-1296#post-60615012

But see:

I am a long time lurker here. I am so impressed by you guys and what you do. I just read a little and let it wash over me, a little is retained, much is forgotten.

I've dipped my toe in the waters (I'm sure in the wrong order, should be pinky toe to big toe. I did an Amex first, doh) and I was wondering about my next step.

DH and I are both 2/5 and we have some tuition coming up in August. We're paying $6K on one kid and $1.5K on another. There is a 2.35% convenience fee for the payments. But a sign up bonus would make that worth the while, right?

I was thinking a Chase card with UR points to be the most effective. I'm trying to get to England for our 25th anniversary next year and I figure the more flexible points would be best. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for all you all do!!
Nice to see you come out of lurkdom...if you are both willing to do business cards then your best option would be apply for CIP then refer spouse for the CIP. From your upcoming tuition looks like you will have 2.5k left to spend after if you did two CIPs. As long as you haven’t applied for a chase card in the last 3 months you should be safe to apply. That would give you 190k UR after meeting the two spends.
If you aren’t part of the dischurners group on reddit you could join and as @SouthFayetteFan says give back to the community.

ok. i have to close the account within 30 days of AF posting for a refund, right? Or would it be prorated if I wait?

Chase gives you 30 days from the date the AF posts to cancel for a full refund; after 30 days, no refunds.

You have about ~40 days from the date when the AF posts to downgrade to a no-AF card and get a full refund; after that time, you'll receive a prorated refunded when you PC.

So I guess you could PC the CIP to a CIC/CIU for a refund and to keep the account open until the points post, then cancel it.

Last edited:
I agree, I think I'm one of the few that might be acquiring the AA points for actual flights. It's one of the two airlines that fly out of our local airport. To use SW we have to drive 2 hours which sometimes makes it worth it when you're talking 4 tickets but if I can get even 2 of the 4 on AA miles, I'll do that to not have to drive and park.
We are lucky to live just 20mins from Phila Int'l. Always flew SW bc of the free luggage allowance. I just learned that AA now allows free carry on (in addition to personal item) and with the Citi AAdvantage cc you get 1st checked bag free for you and 4 others traveling on same ressie as you. So this makes AA equivalent to SW, in that regard and I learned that AA flys 10x as many passengers annually out of Phila as SW-- that means more flight options for me with them! Just makes sense to be part of their points program!

Well Delta fans - those increased offers are now live:
https://online.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/dal/dal-2308/carddetails#/cshop
All offers expire 7/2/19

Personal Cards
  • Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card - Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $2,000 within 3 months† and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within your first 3 months.† $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95†
  • Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card - Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 within 3 months.† In addition, earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within 3 months.† Annual Fee $195
  • Delta Reserve® Credit Card - Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 within 3 months.† Annual Fee $450
  • Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card - Earn 10,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $500 within 3 months. No annual fee.
Business Cards
  • Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card - Earn 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $4,000 within 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within 3 months. Plus, get a 0% introductory APR on purchases for 6 months. $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95†
  • Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card - Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after you spend $6,000 within 3 months and a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within 3 months. Plus, get a 0% introductory APR on purchases for 6 months. Annual Fee $195
  • Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card - Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after you spend $6,000 within 3 months. Plus, get a 0% introductory APR on purchases for 6 months. Annual Fee $450

I think all of these are going to be available via some sort of support link so please don't "rush to apply". You might be able to (a) self-support of (b) give back to the community. I think to generate a support link for the elevated business offers you might need to currently hold a Delta card (or Delta biz card?) but anybody can generate an elevated personal link (i.e. people who hold one of AMEX's branded cards). I'll share more as I investigate this a little bit.
I was able to generate support links for all the above offers today off my personal DL Gold. If anyone is having issues getting the higher offer on a card I posted the work around that I used on the DISchurners news thread to get the higher biz offer to show.

ETA: tagging @wintotty

Last edited:

Got an email from BofA today about a focus group they are hosting in Seattle for small business owners. Pays $300 if you get selected and participate. I first though 'oh money from bofa' then I thought of @SouthFayetteFan and how I totally need to see if I can qualify so I can share my wonderful opinions of them :rolleyes1 But really I don't anticipate actually getting picked. I did put prefer not to answer for my biz name since it was an option and I don't have a name and selected the option with real estate since it's a rental property. I imagine it's not really the kind of small biz they are looking for but the worst that can happen is they don't call or say no. Funny though because I haven't put spend on my biz card since I met MSR and will cancel it as soon as the af hits because their website sucks and I can't churn the personal AS card any more, well every 2 years.

For those planning trips to Japan in the next few years:

Studio Ghibli theme park officially coming to Japan in 2022 - Polygon

I don't get the Ghibli thing. Is it something we'd know about if we weren't into something?

So, looking for next card. At 4/24 will be 3/24 in July and another drops in December. Need to save 1 spot for SW Personal Card. Will probably get another Chase Business Card but was reading on Redditt and someone had mentioned the US Bank Altitude Reserve. Does anyone know anything about that card and if it would be worth using a spot for? I know you have to have a US Bank account, which I just opened in April for a bank account bonus. But want to see what everyone here thinks or if that is a bad idea and just stick with Chase.
Howdy! I think I'm our lone US Bank AR cardholder here :) It's been a slow burn but I've rather fallen in love with the card over the last year and a half and do believe it's worth a 5/24 slot. 3% back on all mobile purchases, RTR redmeptions at 1.5x if you follow all the rules, travel portal redemptions at 1.5x, AF essentially $75. I got a retention offer of 10k points when my renewal came up so I kept it. It's quirkier than something like the CSR so do your research first. I did a bit of a write up on DISchurners under WDW Tips thread so check that out.

Personally I got my AR 6-7 months after opening a checking account with them. It was the first time I saw it pop up on my pre-approved cards with USBank and I decided YOLO. It worked! The pre-approval doesn't guarantee approval though and I've seen plenty of reports of those pre-approved and then denied but when I reconned the card for id verification or something the person from US Bank mentioned (without being prompted by me) "oh, I see you're pre-approved" so I think it does something at least (my income was quite low for this card so maybe it helped there). Anyways, if you do decide to go for it check your pre-approved offers just in case when you are ready to apply as maybe it makes a note on your file or something when you apply. Check out my DISchurners write-up and let me know if you have any q's!

Howdy! I think I'm our lone US Bank AR cardholder here :) It's been a slow burn but I've rather fallen in love with the card over the last year and a half and do believe it's worth a 5/24 slot. 3% back on all mobile purchases, RTR redmeptions at 1.5x if you follow all the rules, travel portal redemptions at 1.5x, AF essentially $75. I got a retention offer of 10k points when my renewal came up so I kept it. It's quirkier than something like the CSR so do your research first. I did a bit of a write up on DISchurners under WDW Tips thread so check that out.

Personally I got my AR 6-7 months after opening a checking account with them. It was the first time I saw it pop up on my pre-approved cards with USBank and I decided YOLO. It worked! The pre-approval doesn't guarantee approval though and I've seen plenty of reports of those pre-approved and then denied but when I reconned the card for id verification or something the person from US Bank mentioned (without being prompted by me) "oh, I see you're pre-approved" so I think it does something at least (my income was quite low for this card so maybe it helped there). Anyways, if you do decide to go for it check your pre-approved offers just in case when you are ready to apply as maybe it makes a note on your file or something when you apply. Check out my DISchurners write-up and let me know if you have any q's!

Great. Thank You. Going to go check out your write up now. Will let you know if I have any questions.

Ugh garage door broke when I got home today. Any suggestions on how to pay someone quick using a credit card that only takes checks? I know I could use my square if it came down to it but wondering if there’s another way.

I’ll post about square on the Reddit hopefully next week. It’s going to be a busy weekend with DD pool party and other DD have parties we are going to as well.

Not @Calfan but as of yesterday 10 for me. :rotfl2:And I can say a rep did look at all my cards during my Plat retention call and asked me why would I even want to keep the Plat when I have all these other cards? :blush:

I have 10 Amex cards (Plat, Biz Plat, Rose Gold, BBP, Biz Gold, Biz Green, Hilton Aspire, Hilton Biz, Hilton no fee, Delta Biz Gold). The cards that see regular spend are the Plat (when I have an offer or when I am paying cash for Southwest flights to get 5x (and not worried about needing the insurance I get from the CSR), Rose Gold (dining and grocery), BBP (I've got some recurring payments set up on this one like the gym, Orangetheory, etc.) and occasionally Biz Gold (for gas, but I haven't used it in several months). The Biz Plat I use if I have an offer or for things like the Dell credit, but I'm not planning to keep it pas the AF date this year. I'm also planning to cancel Biz Gold and Biz Green when those AFs hit. I've continued to put a little spend on my Hilton Biz past meeting MSR to keep the RATs happy since I met MSR with one big charge. I'm not planning to keep that card after a year either. Cross fingers, but I've never gotten an Amex popup...

Thanks for this info. I have 11 cards but I'd have to close one if I were going to get another credit card. The increased offer on the Delta Biz Gold is tempting but I can't generate a link from my (regular) Biz Gold. I guess whether 10 cards is good or bad depends on which AmEx rep answers the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter