I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be booking my flights for my wedding :-) I have to book most of my family too. I got my dad, granny, and MIL CSP's and they will be using those points to cover their flights, but I have to walk them through it and just do it for my Granny lol.

I’m not sure if it would matter for your situation but I have found it to be useful to create a SW account for the people I will be booking for. This is especially valuable if I’m booking with my points. Then if flights change the points go back into my account and I don’t need to deal with travel credits.

Thanks @Lain. That was very helpful. The Spg is DH’s and he is lol/24. My biggest travel dream is to go to Hawaii so I’m trying to save Marriott points. Hoping for 2021 or 2022. I’ll prob cancel one of them and keep the other. I don’t have any Amex so I’m going to look into applying for the Spg Lux/Bonvoy Brilliant. I just got approved so CIP so I will have to wait until I’m finished the MS. But I have the Marriott Card. I got it 6/18. Does that mean I don’t qualify for the SUB?

Suggestions for a warm, family friendly, short (5 days) vacation in October? My plans for December Costa Rica have been scrapped but I am still holding out hope for a short getaway in the fall.

Places on my radar for trips:
Clearwater Beach
Marco Island

We love Hilton Head, but it might be too cold in October.

I’m hoping someone can answer a question for me. I tried to research but couldn’t find the answer. My Marriott Premier Plus card AF will post next month. DH’s Amex Spg AF just hit. Now that they are Bonvoy should we close one? keep them both? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ONE MORE THING!

If you're on the fence about renewing, definitely call Chase and Amex to ask if there are any retention offers!

Back around February and March, Chase was waiving the AF or at least offsetting it with some kind of statement credit on the Marriott Biz. (By the time I called into Chase, they didn't give me any retention offers.)

My Amex SPG personal card's AF posted recently, and about two weeks ago I called into Amex's retention line and got a 20k Marriott points for $2k spend in 3 months retention offer. Here's my post about it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60626120

So on top of the 35k FN certs, a phone call might be able to save you some or all of the AF with Chase and get you an opportunity to earn more points with Amex.

I know that there has been talk on this but searching isn't really helping me, so I am going to ask.

I called today to cancel my AMEX SPG Personal. I will admit that I got really lost in the whole Bonvoy switch. I thought I lost my free night when that happened but she said that I still have it. That seems worth the $95 AF. Maybe? I don't really know, TBH.

She also offered me an offer for 20,000 pts after 2,000 in spend. I am not sure if that is really worth it or not for me when other cards have better bonuses for just a little more spend. I took it. Anyone want to tell me that I did the right things? Or tell me I made a huge mistake? Whichever. I can take it. ;)

I’m not sure if it would matter for your situation but I have found it to be useful to create a SW account for the people I will be booking for. This is especially valuable if I’m booking with my points. Then if flights change the points go back into my account and I don’t need to deal with travel credits.

Thanks! They have their own points from the CSP so they will be booking through their accounts, but my dad is doing my siblings and my grandma will do my aunt/uncle and cousins. It would be too much to make them their own accounts and keep track of their info.

Thanks @Lain. That was very helpful. The Spg is DH’s and he is lol/24. My biggest travel dream is to go to Hawaii so I’m trying to save Marriott points. Hoping for 2021 or 2022. I’ll prob cancel one of them and keep the other. I don’t have any Amex so I’m going to look into applying for the Spg Lux/Bonvoy Brilliant. I just got approved so CIP so I will have to wait until I’m finished the MS. But I have the Marriott Card. I got it 6/18. Does that mean I don’t qualify for the SUB?

Which Marriott/SPG/Bonvoy cards do you have regardless whether issued by Chase or Amex, when did you open them, and when did you get the bonus on them? With the new rules on Marriott cards, you kind of have to follow a chart for your specific situation.

Another thing to weigh in keeping DH's SPG card is he could use it to refer you to Amex's Bonvoy Biz and Brilliant cards for 20k Marriott points/approval.

I know that there has been talk on this but searching isn't really helping me, so I am going to ask.

I called today to cancel my AMEX SPG Personal. I will admit that I got really lost in the whole Bonvoy switch. I thought I lost my free night when that happened but she said that I still have it. That seems worth the $95 AF. Maybe? I don't really know, TBH.

She also offered me an offer for 20,000 pts after 2,000 in spend. I am not sure if that is really worth it or not for me when other cards have better bonuses for just a little more spend. I took it. Anyone want to tell me that I did the right things? Or tell me I made a huge mistake? Whichever. I can take it. ;)

I would have taken that offer. They didn’t give me any offer tho so I cancelled.

I took the same offer.

20k points for $2k spend means 10 additional Marriott points per $1. The SPG card already has a base earn rate of 2 points per $1. So that's 12x Marriott points for the next $2k of spend. That's not bad! And it'll help you slow your roll if you need something to keep you busy in between Chase, Citi, and Amex apps.

The AF is "only" $95. I can get more than that in value from the 35k FN certificate. Although peak pricing is looming, which will devalue the 35k FN cert, I do expect Marriott to give some advance notice when it'll go into effect, and I'm fairly confident that my latest FN cert will deposit and I can redeem it before then.

Tagging @nhgirl.

Can I close a PNC account online? I can't find a way to send a message them but I feel like someone said they sent a message to close.

Screenshots are awesome, I must say :p I closed mine couple months ago and couldn't remember the exact tab name had the message center in it and then Ah HA! I took a screenshot of my messages!

Under the "Customer Service" tab there's an option for "Message Center", just send a message through that. IIRC they don't show your sent messages in the messages list but they responded back to me the next day. Just make sure all transactions have finished posting when you ask to close. My last transaction that took the account to $0 was still listed as "pending" when they responded (even though the money was gone and in the other account already) so I had to reply back the next day when it fully cleared. They also asked to confirm my mailing address, so I did that in the reply. They mail out your last statement and closing letters.

Your wife has a great thing going!! She seems like an excellent negotiator.

But just want to mention that Daily Getaways still has Universal 3 day tickets....yikes who am I talking to?

Actually not sure if they are a deal or not as they are still available.
Thanks but I’m going to (finally) use some URs thru a CSR to get that sweet 1.50x kicker!

How much value do you attribute to your happiness on your spreadsheets?
My happiness carries a lot of value LOL! It’s a 1.2x kicker on the value of the pts :P

I pulled my credit report to see my Amex history. I have three cards two of which I opened in 2003. I'm not sure if I got bonuses on these or not. If I did they weren't anything significant. The other card I just opened March 19. It was the Delta Gold and I got 60k miles. I put 3k on it the first month. I don't see how I qualify as a gamer with Amex. I hope I'm getting the pop up because I'm within 90 days. I'll be trying again the end of June for the Hilton Aspire. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Which Marriott/SPG/Bonvoy cards do you have regardless whether issued by Chase or Amex, when did you open them, and when did you get the bonus on them? With the new rules on Marriott cards, you kind of have to follow a chart for your specific situation.

Another thing to weigh in keeping DH's SPG card is he could use it to refer you to Amex's Bonvoy Biz and Brilliant cards for 20k Marriott points/approval.

I have Marriott Premiere Plus Opened 6/18
Bonus posted 8/18

DH has Spg Personal (the purple card) Opened 4/18
I don’t remember when bonus posted. We hit MS right away so not long after we opened it.

I apologize for asking this again, but the search (at least for me) is messed up and is listing everything out of order.

I got my CIP in early March. Can I apply for a CIP2 or a CSP today, or should I wait until sometime in June? Asking because some big bills are coming up and we don't have much of an MSR left. @SouthFayetteFan @Lain
I’d wait 3 months from your last app.

DH's 2nd Citi AA Biz came today. Activated and set up autopay. I was reading some of the DPs on getting/not getting the bonus on reddit. Wish there was clear evidence what worked and didn't (excluding mailers).

For my 2nd Citi Biz, I still had my 1st one open, used the dummy booking (40K/2K with $250 stmt credit). For DH, I had already closed his 1st card 2 months before applying. Still used the dummy booking offer, same as me. I'll see if closing his card affects getting the bonus. I probably won't go for a gift card for the stmt credit until I see if I get the bonus.
When did your DH get approved? Still waiting on my card.

I pulled my credit report to see my Amex history. I have three cards two of which I opened in 2003. I'm not sure if I got bonuses on these or not. If I did they weren't anything significant. The other card I just opened March 19. It was the Delta Gold and I got 60k miles. I put 3k on it the first month. I don't see how I qualify as a gamer with Amex. I hope I'm getting the pop up because I'm within 90 days. I'll be trying again the end of June for the Hilton Aspire. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Of those two cards opened in 2003, are they still open?

Amex has a so-called 2/90 rule, which means they'll approve you for up to 2 Amex credit cards within 90 days. Getting the Delta Gold in March should not make you ineligible for another Amex credit card in the next 90 days. Even if you fell under the 2/90 rule, that doesn't trigger a no bonus denial pop up; you'd just get denied the card (not just the bonus)

Have you put any more spend on the Delta Gold since meeting the minimum spending requirement to get the 60k miles?

Thank you, I guess I'll have to try again much later once I'm done with getting other cards.

How many inquiries are bad in terms of getting a new card (non-Barclay). When my husband leased a car (May 2018), Chase did 2 hard inquiries in different days, which really sucks.

Chase is more concerned about actual cards you have opened and their rule is 5/24 (most biz cards don't count in that). Supposedly Barclay has a 6/24 rule but my dh was not 6/24 and he was denied so I think there may be a 6/24 but there is also just a sensitivity to too many recent cards. I don't think the car lease will affect anything at all.

Now it's time to test drive the Plastiq HELOC MS strategy :) If I can fuel the train of grAAvy via that method, I can use my regular spend to keep drinking from the cup of CIPpy!
I did my first HELOC test with Plastiq and the payment just posted. I transferred the amount of the Plastiq payment out of my HELOC last night. Today the Plastiq payment was posted to my account and I have a whopping positive $0.10 balance in my account. Will be interesting to see how interest is calculated on this (it will be pennies). Setting up a $4k 1x payment with DH’s 1% Plastiq promo now to knock out his Citi AA Business.

I think I must have missed this HELOC strategy. Is it summarized somewhere? I tried searching on the reddit thread and didn't see it, but I'm not the best with the features there, so could have missed it.

I think I must have missed this HELOC strategy. Is it summarized somewhere? I tried searching on the reddit thread and didn't see it, but I'm not the best with the features there, so could have missed it.
I believe these quotes are what you’re looking for: :)

Comment from yesterday:
Since it’s a MasterCard you can pay any supported expense with Plastiq - I often just pay my HELOC via Plastiq with a MasterCard to hit MSR. Then pay off the card with money from my HELOC via my checking account.

Same user - a whole exchange of comments:
Other than this guy, there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on this in the last 6-9 months.

Basically...fund money from HELOC into checking. Payoff HELOC balance using Plastiq. The quicker you do it, the less interest you'll pay.

EDIT: And you're probably talking roughly $1 in interest per $1,000 for approx. a week so VERY minimal
Scheduled my first HELOC payment via Plastiq. DH called bank and asked the process and it’s as simple as an online transfer between accounts. Tested it out with a $1 txfr to checking and a quick txfr (payment) right back to the HELOC. Took about 40 seconds total.

So now I have 3 weekly payments scheduled on my new Barclay Aviator for $333.34. Triggered the 1% fee. A day before Plastiq check is scheduled to arrive I’ll withdraw $333.34 leaving room for the payment to be applied. Although I’m kind of curious to see if the available balance would just go up with an overpayment. I’ll cover any small interest with a transfer from my checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter