I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally have the SW CP and designated dh as my companion :thumbsup2

I just want to make sure I have the procedure correct in my mind----I cancel dh's current reservations, the points for those return to me, the $5.60 fees become his ticketless funds associated with the reservation number, I rebook him as my companion and use the funds to pay the new $5.60 fees. Is that right?

:thanks:

I finally have the SW CP and designated dh as my companion :thumbsup2

I just want to make sure I have the procedure correct in my mind----I cancel dh's current reservations, the points for those return to me, the $5.60 fees become his ticketless funds associated with the reservation number, I rebook him as my companion and use the funds to pay the new $5.60 fees. Is that right?

:thanks:
Yes...you have it right...you cancel first...the 5.60 fee can either be refunded to your CC or become ticketless funds

CIP bonus question. The charge that officially put me over $5,000 was placed on 4/2. I have spent an additional $173.62 since 4/2 just to be safe. I don't see the points pending yet. I had SMed Chase when I first opened the card and the rep told me my last day to hit the MSR was 5/16.

When should I see the points pending? My next statement closes 4/18. Not sure if I am too close to the date without pending points to actually get them this month.
I’ve met mine plus some as well and nothing is showing yet. Hoping they post (along with my referral to DH) by next statement, but kinda annoyed.

Thanks everyone. I was leaning more towards YC/BC anyways but this sealed the deal. It's literally just a few hundred point difference. Prob up to the wife if she wants to be a little closer to Epcot or have a balcony.
Once you stay in the Epcot area you will be too spoiled to stay anywhere else :-)

DH's AF on his ancient Delta Gold card posted on Monday. I'll have to get him to call to downgrade that to the no fee card. I wouldn't keep it, but it's his first Amex and it's 7 years old.

You can downgrade via chat, no need to call :-)

Once you stay in the Epcot area you will be too spoiled to stay anywhere else :-)

You can downgrade via chat, no need to call :-)
I can attest to this. We stayed at beach club last October and idk if I can have a trip without being in the Epcot area. It’s just awesome and there’s so much to do. I do like yc better but we don’t have kids

Took a half day off work today to drive the 50 miles to complete my TSA Pre-check application. Now just have to wait to get the number. I will be very happy to have it when I'm flying with my two small children two days after Thanksgiving at MSP, which is usually one of the worst airports for security. Thank you Navy Federal for paying for both my wife and I to get this.

So if I book us on United via the chase portal and have DH as the main person with his GE number then I should get precheck too? As long as it's the same reservation?

From my research it's much more likely, but by no means guaranteed. The only thing I've been able to find in writing about it is that kids should get it if the adults on the reservation have it. Nothing about spouses.

I agree with them. My CU is a non profit, they use .org. I'm a member, not a customer. They have criteria you have to meet to be a member, where you live and/or work. I don't want people that don't meet that essentially using my money to make their own. The CU has higher interest rates and I earn decently on my checking account too, something most big banks don't do/offer.

From their site -
CU is more than an alternative to a traditional bank; we're a credit union, a not-for-profit financial institution whose members are our stakeholders. We work hard to not only save you money, but help you earn more too.

I'm all for bank bonuses and stuff but it's also the difference between a for profit and a non profit. I'm sure they have bonuses worked into their budget but that doesn't mean that it's a huge part because they don't expect it to get abused. But i2 also don't doubt that they'd deny you membership if you don't meet thwir2 criteria.

So you're more than welcome to get a bonus from my CU if you want to move your accounts there. They have great customer service, offer discount perks to stuff sometimes, are very involved in the communities they are in and are good to do business with.

Totally agree. Our CU is sort of large now, but when I was little and had my first account there it wasn't. It was only for employee's at my DF's company and his badge# was part of the account number. I'd feel really awful if people piled in there to make make money off of my CU. I don't do bank bonuses at all, but have no issue with it since banks are for profit institutions and can shut down this stuff if they want to.

Nope. No one watching. Just my conscience

In my own mind, when thinking about things, I've decided that if I have to ask myself if it's ok I'm not going to do it. The gray area is large, and I'd feel better if I wasn't somewhere in the middle of it. I also think that, with contentious relatives wanting to take things over, I would make the books as simple as possible just to avoid any issues.

It's good of you to do this for your uncle. My aunt & uncle "inherited" money and the middle aged son of a friend of theirs about 20 years ago. His mother didn't know who she could trust to care for him (he is mentally disabled due to having measles as a child - they led to a high fever and seizures that permanently affected him) and I know that it was something that worried her for years. He lives in a group home and works for the county, and they help him, buy him clothes, take him on outings, etc. but it's still quite a big responsibility, so I think it's wonderful that you are doing this for your uncle.

An interesting r/churning exchange regarding credit unions.

First some backstory - recently there's been an effort on r/churning by one particular user (and others assisting) to find every bank and credit card bonus out there that they could (many from obscure localized banks and credit unions).

Yesterday somebody shared this comment on r/churning about a $500 sign up bonus for $4,500 spend from a Baton Rouge credit union. Within an hour the website had crashed due to all the applications that were submitted: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/bb6kgs/discussion_thread_april_09_2019/ekicwzo/

Well in response, a user stated that they felt it was unethical for us to abuse a local credit union and actually reached out via email to somebody there to report what was going on: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/bb6kgs/discussion_thread_april_09_2019/ekjwde6/

Additional discussion ensued in today's Discussion thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/bbkov4/discussion_thread_april_10_2019/ekjzwiz/

I thought this was interesting and worth sharing. Much of the discussion surrounds a few ideas:
  • Each person in this game has to draw their own moral boundaries (i.e. do you only "abuse" big banks, would you hit up credit unions, will you have a "business", etc...)
  • Is it ok for one person to decide to police others with their morals by reporting something like this directly to bank management?
  • Should we treat smaller banks or Credit Unions differently than larger banks? Are they better (or any less "guilty" if that's your premise)?
  • Should it be the responsibility of the business to police their own terms and conditions and who they are approving?
If anybody has any thoughts on this exchange and how they approach these "issues" in the game, I for one would be fascinated to hear them. I think it's an interesting discussion topic for our group here :)
I’m ticked beyond belief at that person. Even small banks/credit unions are completely capable of taking care of themselves or they wouldn’t exist! I’m in agreement with the actions taken against the user. After all even the most community friendly bank isn’t there just for the community, it’s a business. I 100% believe in buyer beware and business beware. If you’re not being paid by the business to help them become aware of less than ideal situations they might be getting themselves into keep your mouth shut. *

*if I come off a bit opinionated it’s because I am- but it doesn’t mean I don’t respect the opinions and experiences of all of you! I was raised in small businesses & I think it makes me a bit harsher towards them and companies like credit unions. Dog eat dog and all that. I’ve also watched fam members get darn near scammed by their local credit union that they just can’t quit because they’re “members” and I saw the “community bank” get bought out by a big boy. As such my jaded opinion is they’re ultimately in for the bucks.

Yacht Club and Beach Club are just amazing to me. That area is so beautiful, you can walk to Epcot or HS, you can boat as well. I honestly don't have a preference between the 2 - both are nice and they share the same restaurants and awesome pool.
My favs as well, as you know! This is my kids fav resorts too but dh & I love as well :D

Opened a Discover savings account last weekend. My initial transfer is showing as pending. Can I make another deposit before the initial one shows? Is it better/quicker to push or pull money from Discover? FWIW I plan on reach8ng the $15 or $25k with repeated deposits/withdrawals but will end up leaving some money to keep as a savings account.

Since we’re discussing morals today, give me your take on this please. My “business” is a rental property which I inherited in a trust (I can’t sell it). It was left to me, with some cash, in order to provide a home for someone who is disabled and can’t own her own home. To keep everything above board, I charge her rent that is equal to taxes + insurance (no profit). I deposit all rent checks in a specific savings account and pay all bills pertaining to this property from that account (like paying the roofer with my CIP and paid that charge on it directly from the savings account). I keep everything very transparent in case anything is questioned in the future. So my plan with the Discover savings is to transfer this rental property account to Discover so it makes more interest. I will use that money, plus some of mine, to reach th bonus level, then withdraw the bonus and all my personal money, leaving only the exact amount in Discover that was originally in the rental property account. Sorry if that’s confusing. Somehow I feel a little guilty that I’m making a $200 bonus in part off money that I don’t feel is mine. I’m not sure I should though since all interest will stay in that account and it will be making more interest in the end. Thoughts?
Saw your follow up. Since you’re legally fine I see no problem here. The asset was left in your care. Extract the most value from it while maintaining the ability of the tenant to live there sounds ethically 100% ok to me. Assets are to be grown/put to use. Don’t be afraid to do that. One gets in trouble when one squanders an asset & you are certainly not doing that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I’m looking at nov 2-6. Two adults and two kids ages 6 and 4. Down to yacht club, beach club or Coronado. Never stayed at either. Seems like you guys like yc. What say you?
I've stayed at Coronado and at BC/YC. I do love us some BC/YC, even though we did stay at Coronado and very much enjoyed it as well. I thought we were gonna maybe ride out Hurricane Irma at Coronado so I already hurricane proofed the place lol! Coronado is just really big so if you decide to stay there, do some research on room locations and choose wisely...

Our kids (and us...who am I kidding?? We love the pirate ship slide at BC/YC!?!) love the pool at BC/YC so the pool at Coronado was a bit of a downer for us but it wasn't bad and since you have younger kids, they will not know the difference ;-) I happen to have teens and two 'middle' age kids so they go for more thrill pool slides...as do their parents... :D

Thanks everyone. I was leaning more towards YC/BC anyways but this sealed the deal. It's literally just a few hundred point difference. Prob up to the wife if she wants to be a little closer to Epcot or have a balcony.
I just stayed one night YC and transferred to CSR for the last 2. OMG YC/BC because
1) not hearing people/kids running up and down the halls all hours of the day & night
2) convenience. BC/YC is close to 2 parks and CSR is HUGE! This was my first mod stay and I was left wondering how the heck people do that? It was massive. I would die doing a week with that much walking after I got back to my hotel! I want afternoon breaks. I want a hot tub 10 mins from my room max & same with the lobby. YC/BC all the way if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter