I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, I have heard Peppa is having a British invasion on our newest generation. My 2 yr old DGD was playing with me ;) and there was a noise in the kitchen. She - What's that noise? Me - I don't know. She - Let's have a look. Nobody in our immediate family has ever said "Let's have a look."
My 3yo saw my flashlight in the cabinet and asked if she could use the "torch." Took me a minute but then realized what she was talking about. :happytv:

oh! *runs off to try that*

ETA: "You'll be able to select your seats later on in the booking process"

Oh well!

Well honestly the way things are going I might end up doing that. I'm practically ready to book an outbound for November 3 and a return for November 6 and have to move them both!
We must’ve been super lucky when we booked ours. We didn’t have the points in time to book right away but there were still quite a few dates to choose from.

oh! *runs off to try that*

ETA: "You'll be able to select your seats later on in the booking process"

Oh well!

Well honestly the way things are going I might end up doing that. I'm practically ready to book an outbound for November 3 and a return for November 6 and have to move them both!

That’s odd. It’s worked in the past and show the seat chart.

Well, right now if I look at SW for the latest dates they have available (August), it would be $69/person one way to fly out to LAX and, while not ideal timing, there are also fares for $96/person to fly back.

My understanding is that those Aspire airline credits CAN be used for SW flights under about $102 or something? So I would expect, by booking far enough ahead (as soon as I have my ANA flights and the Southwest calendar goes out far enough), that there would be those relatively inexpensive Wanna Get Away flights. Is there a flaw in my reasoning? (I honestly don't have a complete understanding of the airline credit but I believe that will work. I have to purchase the SW flights with the Aspire and Southwest will bill each flight (direction) separately so it'll show as 4 transactions of $69 each?)

No flaw in your reasoning, I was just thinking your flights would be more. Didn’t remember where you’re flying out of.

Had another thought about you applying now vs January though. Assuming you only plan to keep the card 1 year and pay 1 AF. If you apply now you can get the airline credit 3 times. In January - twice. I know you don’t need it yet, but free is free? I can’t think of a reason to put it off since you have the spend.

With Southwest when you cancel a non refundable flight, you get the credit to use which expires in a year. So even if you don’t have a flight you want to book now, you can book one later.

Lol, I have heard Peppa is having a British invasion on our newest generation. My 2 yr old DGD was playing with me ;) and there was a noise in the kitchen. She - What's that noise? Me - I don't know. She - Let's have a look. Nobody in our immediate family has ever said "Let's have a look."

Grandchildren playing with Peppa's lights and sounds motor car - 'Now we can go on Holiday'.

Okay, I'm just going to stand up for Houston here, since I've lived there three times in my life! When you are coming through on the highways, it's easy to just see the concrete, but there are very few places where a highway or convention center area will give you a true view of a city.

Houston has a range of large parks throughout the city, including Hermann Park and Buffalo Bayou; an amazing restaurant scene, both on the high end and the low end; world-class opera, symphony, and theatre options; a huge range of museums; a constant parade of shows from top performers; and excellent basketball and baseball teams (as well as pretty good football and soccer teams). It is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States, which also enriches all of the above. There are three official languages in the Houston Independent School District. You can probably guess two of them - English and Spanish. But can you guess the third? It is Vietnamese.

So, hmph.
I have only visited TX a couple of times McAllen, South Padre and San Antonio, but enjoyed my time there. I just finished the Big Rich and really want to plan another trip. I'm thinking the San Antonio rodeo in 2021, I know my DH would enjoy it. I went to Calgary during the Stampede several years ago, it was very cool. If anyone likes history type genres I recommend the Big Rich.
Amex will approve 2 of their (Amex) credit cards in a rolling 90 day period. (This rule doesn’t apply to or count Amex charge cards.) I think you’re coming off of a Hilton Surpass and that’s your only Amex card? If so, you should be fine. Knock on wood you don’t get the pop up. Keeping up spend on your Amex card(s) should help to avoid the pop up.

DO NOT self-support from your Surpass to the Aspire. Even though Amex hasn’t yet come after self-supports on or to their co-branded cards (like the Hilton), I would not advise risking it because it’s clearly a practice Amex does not condone and may do something about in the future. If you do not have someone’s Amex support link to use, please consider using a fellow DISchurner’s link and make sure you’re getting the “best” 150k Hilton points/$4k MSR offer.

As you might know, the Aspire comes with a $250 airline incidental fee credit every calendar year (the same kind of credit found on the Amex Gold, Platinum, and Biz Plat). Right now is “triple dip” season, so if you go for the Aspire card in the next week to 10 days, you’ll have a $250 credit to use before the end of the year, which resets for another $250 credit starting 1/1/20, and a third $250 credit starting 1/1/21 before you’re billed a second AF. Essentially you’d get $750 in airline credits (not to mention 2x cardmember year $250 resort credits, Free Weekend Night Certificates, a 150k Hilton points SUB, Diamond status, etc.) on 1x $450 AF if you decide to cancel or downgrade the card after the second AF is billed. If you decide to keep the card, the Aspire’s benefits still more than pay for itself, especially if you have any plans to stay at a Hilton (or you can downgrade to a no-AF Hilton card and wait for an upgrade offer).

Unfortunately, as you may know, the Amex airline credit no longer works on gift cards. The airline credit is harder to use now that airline gift cards are off the table, but there are still ways to bank it if you don’t have a flight coming up, where you’d upgrade seats or check in bags. See the discussion here for ideas about which airline you could select year and how to use up the credit:
I had no interest whatsoever in Hilton or the Aspire cc until I read this!

DH can stay home.... 🤣
::yes::
I would be very careful about this. I can't remember where the DPs were (either on reddit or flyer talk), but I seem to recall some strange DPs that points were posted to Southwest accounts for some people before the next bill. I wouldn't mess around and I'd do almost all the spend before the end of the year, and then wait until after January 1st to hit the last part. Maybe someone else remembers where I read these CP horror stories?
Yes thank you, this happened to my DD. I'm going to wait until 1/1 to finish the MSR.

Not @Haley R
But it rained a lot last night, my sister went with her kids and grandchildren....they arrived at 4, had dinner at liberty tree tavern and left at 9
She said the lines were short

We watched the fireworks at 10 from our balcony at VWL
My dd went too. It rained most of the night (as it did on us from 2-7). My dd also said lines were short. She and her friends focused on characters and they met tons. She also got evacuated off space lol!! Highlight of the night 🤣

No flaw in your reasoning, I was just thinking your flights would be more. Didn’t remember where you’re flying out of.

Had another thought about you applying now vs January though. Assuming you only plan to keep the card 1 year and pay 1 AF. If you apply now you can get the airline credit 3 times. In January - twice. I know you don’t need it yet, but free is free? I can’t think of a reason to put it off since you have the spend.

With Southwest when you cancel a non refundable flight, you get the credit to use which expires in a year. So even if you don’t have a flight you want to book now, you can book one later.
Ah, glad I understand it; thanks. I am in Phoenix (hence the desire to leave out of LAX) so I was certainly hoping there would be some decent fares out of here.

I do only plan to keep the card the one year and then cancel... I mean, I plan that right NOW but with you enablers, who knows what might happen???? Kidding, kidding... I really don't have any travel plans beyond November 2020. Not ones that include flying, anyway. We flew to DL for the first time last weekend and quite honestly, we would do it if was free but we only saved an hour (maybe) over driving and when we drive we are in complete control of when and where we go. But I suppose anything can happen!

That's a good point... you're right that I don't need it and won't have a use for it (I am actually flying one more time in early January but that is a 45 minute flight that I also booked on miles)... but I guess it wouldn't HURT anything to apply (other than that AF on top of everything else... ugggghhhhhh). I will think about it more. Thank you!

Good to know about Southwest. Gosh, now I WISH I had somewhere to fly!

It actually didn’t end up being too bad. It stopped raining around 10 right before fireworks. Up until that point was pretty miserable though. It was a constant rain with no stopping from 5-10. Five hours of constant rain.
We got a rental car at the airport and drove to MK. No rain at all. Got on the ferry and by the time we were half way across the lagoon, it was raining fault hard. It pretty much rained straight from when we arrived until we left at 7. We were soaked cause we’d left our ponchos in the car 😔

Ugh it said no rain today and I look outside our hotel window to see it pouring. We’re supposed to be going to Epcot but I really don’t wanna walk around in the rain again
We went to AK. Got there at 8 and it started raining by 9:30. Pretty much a car wash for a few hours but then it stopped and never started back. Yay! Had a great day!!

Barclay Hawaiian Biz Denied

Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card issued by Barclays Bank Delaware. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you.
😡🤬😢

Could really use Hawaiian miles for a couple of upcoming trips but I guess Barclay isn’t on board. I’ll wait for letter and maybe app DH 🤷🏼‍♀️
Amex usually has a 25-40% transfer bonus once or twice a year.

@Killer Fish I lost your quote so will just respond. Yes any charge on Delta will trigger the statement credit. I booked a companion certificate and the taxes triggered it. As mentioned a small charge on flight will also trigger. It is not picky like the Amex MR flight credit.

We did the Candlenight Processional on Tuesday night. We had the dining package for 5:15. We walked in at 5 no wait and sat down...but when leaving the line was huge for the next show. So I guess when you arrive is how badly you want good seats. They will give you a sticker to put on your shirt so they can verify your right to sit in the designated rows.

My dd went too. It rained most of the night (as it did on us from 2-7). My dd also said lines were short. She and her friends focused on characters and they met tons. She also got evacuated off space lol!! Highlight of the night 🤣
We rode people mover through space (not when it was broken) and the overlay looked pretty cool. I wish I could’ve actually ridden it. Does disney sell babysitters? We might need one in the near future 😂

We got a rental car at the airport and drove to MK. No rain at all. Got on the ferry and by the time we were half way across the lagoon, it was raining fault hard. It pretty much rained straight from when we arrived until we left at 7. We were soaked cause we’d left our ponchos in the car 😔
We don’t wear ponchos because we think they get sticky and hot. We had umbrellas but they didn’t do a whole lot of good. It was just a crappy day. We still enjoyed the party since we got lucky with the rain stopping. I had about 4-5 of those pretzel snowmen lol

We went to AK. Got there at 8 and it started raining by 9:30. Pretty much a car wash for a few hours but then it stopped and never started back. Yay! Had a great day!!
We did Epcot and Hollywood studios. I LOVE the skyliner!!! Dh and I both said we could just ride around in that all day. It’s so relaxing and smooth. We got in a huge line at HS after jingle bell, jingle bam and it moved so quickly! I couldn’t believe how fast the line moved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter