I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:tinker:You can move them to another card

Do you know that for sure or just speculating? I tried to reopen the card or product change after close and they would not let me. That was the best of the options we had before when we talked about it. I don’t really want to try to call tonight but I can make time if it would be worthwhile.

@wendow I made her sit down and do it just now. Approved!!! party: Yay Baby steps.

I noticed that next quarter is Paypal for Discover. If her leaders take that instead of Venmo, that would be great. Does anyone know if there is any issues with P2P with Paypal and Discover? Of course her limit is tiny and not enough for trip so not sure how that might work.

That is crazy you remember that!?!
Discover 06/18
CFU 12/18
CIP 02/19
SW 05/19

She was an AU'er on two of my cards before she ever got her own and I added her to my Amex plat (gold card) in 12/18. She's also had her own college checking at Chase for 3 years now - yes, they allow high school kids to have college accounts. Credit score is high 700's now.

What is your dd's income? Did she feel comfortable trying to recon the Marriott? I know, at one point, Chase was advertising their CFU as a 'student card', which is why my dd went for that one first. I wonder if your dd should try for that one. I think the CF and CFU are easier to get. I had done some googling about different cards and CS needed and the Freedom cards both seem to allow lower scores so even though your dd's score is high, maybe it's her age. Once you get one of the freedoms and Chase sees you are responsible, other cards become available...? IDK. I'd have her keep trying!
I have no idea how I remember that except that our DD’s are close in age! Mine just finished her sophomore year. Income around $10k (summer job, will work a few shifts in the fall). I always wonder if I could add scholarships to the income but I haven’t. She has a Chase checking and savings (4/17) has been AU on 2 of my cards as well. She also has utilities in her name for her off campus housing.
I think I’ll have her go for the CF or CFU later this summer. She’d love to have some of her own points by senior year spring break lol.

Do you know that for sure or just speculating? I tried to reopen the card or product change after close and they would not let me. That was the best of the options we had before when we talked about it. I don’t really want to try to call tonight but I can make time if it would be worthwhile.

I’m just hoping, praying and sending :tinker: you can get the points...

@wendow I made her sit down and do it just now. Approved!!! party: Yay Baby steps.

I noticed that next quarter is Paypal for Discover. If her leaders take that instead of Venmo, that would be great. Does anyone know if there is any issues with P2P with Paypal and Discover? Of course her limit is tiny and not enough for trip so not sure how that might work.
Yay!!! Congrats! Baby steps are great but I'd encourage her to go for a Chase card within the next 6 mos (I really suggest starting with one of the Freedom cards).

I have no idea how I remember that except that our DD’s are close in age! Mine just finished her sophomore year. Income around $10k (summer job, will work a few shifts in the fall). I always wonder if I could add scholarships to the income but I haven’t. She has a Chase checking and savings (4/17) has been AU on 2 of my cards as well. She also has utilities in her name for her off campus housing.
I think I’ll have her go for the CF or CFU later this summer. She’d love to have some of her own points by senior year spring break lol.
My dd is finishing up her freshman year and has less income so it really seems your dd should be able to get some cards as well! I haven't added scholarships to income because I read many times Chase will request pay stubs for first time applicants and I didn't want any complications. My dd was only given $600 on her CFU card but then 5k on the CIP a few months later so I really think that CFU 'opened the door'.

It never is! And, many times, it's best if you can think even farther ahead & have a few plans going at once.

I would also recommend sharing those travel plans here from time to time as it can help to write things out & read over them. You might also be able to get good advice from someone who sees a better way to do something or knows that something won't work as you intended!

So, here are mine, updated.

May: Versailles/DL Paris/WDW - Flights were booked before I started in this hobby but our hotel in Versailles was paid for almost entirely with the Aspire... will elaborate at some point in case it can help someone. Reading "how I did it" posts from others definitely helped me a lot.
August: London - Got the flights with points at 11 months out. My first flight booked with points I earned here! But, we but did not book a chain hotel for various reasons (location & history, nothing to do with property quality or anything like that)
September: Kyoto - I have a conference here & the museum is paying for the hotel so not really relevant. We were going to go in March but decided to tack some leisure time onto the conference instead since I'd be there anyway. I don't usually count domestic trips in my plans but this is a "bigger" one so I decided to make sure I have enough time blocked for it.
October: Maldives (honeymoon) - Wedding gift from parents but the Aspire is ready for the resort charges. Originally we wanted to go touring around South Korea & we are really into Korean food/cooking at the moment but, well... honeymoon. Maldives. Must-do :beach:

January: Using our winter break to go to South Korea now (& you should see my restaurant list) - using either Hyatt or Bonkyvonk points. Probably Hyatt bc I can pair points with the free anniversary night on the CC as Grand Hyatt Seoul is only Category 4!
April/Golden Week: Disneyland (CA) - Hoping to rent points at VGC from a kind owner I found on the boards. Already paid a partial deposit for that & we will see what happens at the end of the month. Flights will be with points and I think I have those squared away!
July-August: OLYMPICS!!! I'm not going anywhere, I'm just excited. (Well... hopefully we will see some cool events. We had better hit that lottery)
October: Vienna/Prague/Budapest - I'm currently working on the "point plan" for this one & it looks like we will be staying at IHG properties. We wanted the ABD Danube Oktoberfest but timing didn't work out & we wanted to change the itinerary a little bit.

Unknown but it will likely be somewhere AA flies since I'm on the train & packing away points already :laughing: - contenders include Madrid & Dubrovnik. Copenhagen is also a possibility but not via AA. And, I think we will do a WDW/short Disney cruise combo in the fall or winter. I'll be in the second year of my PhD program so not sure how much time I will want to take off then but I will definitely need a break at some point. I won't be booking anything far ahead of time, though, so this could be a lean travel year.

March-May: ABD Egypt (this is when we think we will feel comfortable going but we will need to decide for sure at least one year in advance) - I am going to start working on these flights as a "just in case" as soon as I have the October 2020 trip squared away, since I need to be booking those flights in about 4-5 months. I try to collect Disney GC year-round but for this trip, a CIC might be a good idea. I'm thinking about going for CIP #2 next month & PCing CIP #1 to a CIC.

So, at the moment, I am planning 3 years out for multiple trips at once. I quickly learned that spreadsheets are your friends. I think it's also important not to put all of your eggs in one basket when it comes to loyalty programs. If you have a few programs to choose from, you can rotate the program you use & give yourself time to build up a stash again after each trip you take.

For airlines, I work with JAL, AA, Delta, JetBlue, United. (JAL is AA's partner & keeping points with both is not necessary for anyone who doesn't do Japanese domestic flights. The reason to do it then is because JAL blocks AA & other overseas partner awards out of J/F on domestic flights. You can upgrade for a fee, but I don't want to chance not getting the upgrade when I really want it. I don't want to pay the fee, either.)

For hotels, I have Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott. I use Hilton most because the Aspire is amazingly lucrative in terms of picking up points. Hyatt is a better brand overall, though. (IMO)

Thanks to everyone here I am always refining my strategies, picking up new ones, etc. I love this thread :lovestruc

Wow... In awe of your planning....:worship: and Congratulations on the wedding...I’m assuming that’s before the honeymoon :flower1:

Our plans are pretty boring..

May..September and December ...visit our son in Orlando

DH turns 60....trying to figure out a special trip...maybe a Mediterranean cruise....but the friends we would travel with can’t plan too far out so it’s frustrating..

Visit son in Orlando....rinse repeat each year......

Really appreciate everyone’s help and advice here in making our multiple trips possible

My dd is finishing up her freshman year and has less income so it really seems your dd should be able to get some cards as well! I haven't added scholarships to income because I read many times Chase will request pay stubs for first time applicants and I didn't want any complications. My dd was only given $600 on her CFU card but then 5k on the CIP a few months later so I really think that CFU 'opened the door'.
I was thinking that too which is why I waited for her to have her offer letter for the summer with salary info.
Slowly but surely we’ll build her portfolio!

Just got the envelope for dh's Citi AA Biz, with the "you were not solicited for this offer, please send front and back of the offer" letter LOL. No of course we weren't solicited, it's a public offer...oy. Time for try #2

I received the same letter...frustrating...tried again the other day.....wondering if anyone is getting a match lately

UGH!! Just a first world whine...I applied for the CIP (yes, using a Dis-support link) and I got the 30 day message and its annoying me to not have an answer. I've been calling but this is the first time I haven't been auto approved. I want it approved so I can request it be expedited. Do the biz cards ever just show up on your online account like the personal ones do? And, yes, if approved I'll DM the Diser who's referral I used.

UGH!! Just a first world whine...I applied for the CIP (yes, using a Dis-support link) and I got the 30 day message and its annoying me to not have an answer. I've been calling but this is the first time I haven't been auto approved. I want it approved so I can request it be expedited. Do the biz cards ever just show up on your online account like the personal ones do? And, yes, if approved I'll DM the Diser who's referral I used.

I was not auto approved for my first few business cards....it definitely is frustrating...called multiple times and it look a week ....hopefully yours will be quicker
The business card will not show up on your personal card log in....you can set up a business card Log in ...then call chase to combine the accounts if you want

Thanks to you enablers, I just ordered the Motherlode Jr and pack-it toiletry bag. Not that we need another backpack. And I figured I would get a jumpstart on DS’s khakis he’ll need for his uniform in the fall and ordered them through Ralph Lauren for the eBates 15% and 5k MR offer. Gosh, I hope he doesn’t grow much before fall. I am going to make him try the pants on to ensure they have some extra length.

We’ll have to purchase his textbooks and tried to get a rough estimate for the fall but they weren’t coming up online. And he needs a laptop also. Private school is adding up besides just the tuiti.

Thanks to you enablers, I just ordered the Motherlode Jr and pack-it toiletry bag. Not that we need another backpack. And I figured I would get a jumpstart on DS’s khakis he’ll need for his uniform in the fall and ordered them through Ralph Lauren for the eBates 15% and 5k MR offer. Gosh, I hope he doesn’t grow much before fall. I am going to make him try the pants on to ensure they have some extra length.

We’ll have to purchase his textbooks and tried to get a rough estimate for the fall but they weren’t coming up online. And he needs a laptop also. Private school is adding up besides just the tuiti.

On the textbooks....would your local school district provide them....maybe a NY thing but when my kids went to private school our local school district had to get the books they needed...we picked them up at the beginning of the school year and returned them at the end

I'm going to try to get CFUs for my DD20 and DNiece20 sometime in December. Niece has a decent income (I think about 5k), student loans, utility bills and rental (at least she will next semester). She's also AU on my venerable anex gold from 1997. I think she'll be ok. DD is harder. No loans or bills and income in the 3k range. She is au on 2 of DH's chase cards with an average age of 7 years.

If you already have a business card from Chase then yes, your card might just show up once approved. When did you apply? How long have you been pending. I remember a 6 day wait one time and it was painful.

For those looking at CFU cards - just an FYI that the old $150 offer is still available and for those with low spend (kids/students) it can make a lot more sense than the 3% offer. They have to spend $10k to break even on the 3% offer vs the $150.

Been very busy and tired. Just checked in on r/churning

The mod's choice is very interesting!

This week's topic comes courtesy of u/m16p.

If you could only only hold four cards, what would you hold? These cards could be ones still in existence, like the CSR, or something that no longer has open applications, like the Merrill+. Keep in mind the AF, rewards, and secondary benefits.

This is super hard. I know I'd keep my Rose Gold Amex and Target RedCard Debit. Beyond that I'm not sure. I do know I've been carrying around way too many cards here lately and that isn't smart. I've only been using my Hilton to spend to the free night - so why am I carrying 8 other cards? If I lost my wallet it would be a bad scene. I have some FOMO phobia that some good coupon/spending offer is going to come out on a card and I won't have it with me. :rolleyes2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter