I life long Dream comes true... pre trip count down.

I am Here!!!!!!! I feel like I have been traveling for days!!!!!! Leaving Orlando was uneventful and smooth. We had business class for the trip to JFK. nice and roomy. Arriving at JFK was interesting. We took a funky bus to get to the terminal from there we had to catch a shuttle to our gate for Barcelona. Apparently during the flight, I forgot how to walk. The floor was sloping weirdly and I took it upon myself to take a fall. Pete was in front of me and we were walking, walking.... all of a sudden I tripped and went down.. it was freaky slow mo. I went down on both knees and kept leaning forward till my face was almost touching the floor. I remember thinking..." Please lord don't let my face smack the floor and knock out my teeth. I am sure from behind it looked like I was praying. Walter said "why didn't you use your luggage to catch yourself?" Well, Walter, the luggage was behind me!!!!!!! It was pushing me down. the guy at the gate said I was the first one of the day to fall there. apparently, the uneven floor had taken a few travelers down. rom there I limped to the packed shuttle.. where my right arm was pulled out of the socket by the freakin driver and his constant speeding up and stopping.At this point I was thinking I am going to Europe... I hope they have nice hospitals and I hope the doctors are nice looking.

And what's with JFK and not using air conditioning in the terminals????? It was like Ellis Island in there.

So lets recap, shall we...... At this point I was limping, dragging my bag with my dislocated arm and sweating like a pig.... But you know what? I was also smiling and laughing and having a great time!!!!! I was on my way to Barcelona!!!!

On the plane We had great seats. I was put in charge of the emergency exit. I studied the instructions and felt sure I would have no problem opening the door and shoving people out.

The flight was long, I played on my IPAd, watched a movie, took several naps and drank several glasses of wine. Dinner and Breakfast were both served on the flight and before I knew it we were landing in Barcelona.

Getting off the plan went smoothly with my stiff knees and dislocated arm. I was cleared to enter the country and took my first steps on foreign soil (concrete). My luggage arrived and I said a prayer of thanks, Courtney, our ABD guide met us and we were ready to head off to the Palace Hotel in Barcelona. My room is amazing.. Marble fireplace with golden framed mirror that magically turns into a TV. I decided to order room service for lunch and take a nice long shower in my spacious bathroom.

Room service misunderstood my order. I ordered Wild Mushroom Risotto and ended up with a fruit plate and a bucket of ice!!! LOL!!! Great fruit mind you, but not Mushroom Risotto.

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the room key. It is actually a key, with a brass key ring with the room number on it and a giant maroon tassel. When you go out for the day, you give your key to the front desk and they keep it for you. Really "old world" service.

Gotta go for now and get ready for our ABD Welcome dinner.

Tata,

T.:lovestruc

so :cool1:

oh yeah....the JFK i know and HATE...
JFK is certainly right up there among the worst airports in the world...

a definite third world experience...

it didn't used to be so bad....it's gotten worse and worse over the years..

and you're darn lucky you got your luggage....flying through JFK, that's downright miraculous....

as for the fall - sue the *******s....

and now that all that bad stuff is behind you, it's all good from here on!!!! :goodvibes

My luggage arrived and I said a prayer of thanks, Courtney, our ABD guide met us and we were ready to head off to the Palace Hotel in Barcelona. My room is amazing.. Marble fireplace with golden framed mirror that magically turns into a TV. I decided to order room service for lunch and take a nice long shower in my spacious bathroom.

Are you sure you're not in the Cinderella Castle Suite? :lmao:

JFK has EIGHT Terminals. Delta's is definitely the worst and oldest, but from what I understand is being renovated. American's terminal was pretty nice. I haven't seen JetBlue's terminal, but I hear it's nice.

Are you sure you're not in the Cinderella Castle Suite? :lmao:

JFK has EIGHT Terminals. Delta's is definitely the worst and oldest, but from what I understand is being renovated. American's terminal was pretty nice. I haven't seen JetBlue's terminal, but I hear it's nice.

yes, the delta terminal is horrifying....terminal 2 even worse than terminal 3, if that's possible...
but let's not forget the 'international' terminal - terminal 4....
the true international experience....third world international that is....

i usually fly into and out of the US through terminal 4.....
connecting domestically on delta (in terminal 3 or 2).....have you ever watched the delta baggage handlers? handle isn't at all the right word...

i'm in the process of getting tickets to chile for DS and DDIL ...i'm contemplating paying a few hundred dollars more just to keep them out of JFK....i wouldn't send my worst enemy through JFK...well...maybe my worst enemy, but not someone i love...

Teresa, it sounds like you had quite the adventure already. The hotel seems so "you". I know you will enjoy it. Glad to hear your luggage made it. :) :)

Just found this today Teresa and enjoyed getting caught up. Congrats on your weight loss, your comments about mac and cheese cracked me up. So glad you have arrived safely and are already having a good time. Count me in for being along for the ride, can't wait to read all about your adventures!!!
Lesley

I know I forgot to do something today... not sure what it is.....
Relax, maybe? ;)

YAY! You are in Barcelona, and by now should be pretty well through your first day of the ABD, and have met your Guides & fellow ABDers! Have a MAGNIFICENT time! Barcelona is such a fabulous city, and I'm sure seeing it with ABD will be the best. I *wish* they'd had that add-on last year! Can't wait to hear all about it!

ENJOY!
Sayhello

WOW!!!! What an amazing few days!!!! Our welcome dinner was overlooking the city. Our ABD group is a small one. Walter, Pete, myself and 3 others. (a family of 3) They too will be getting on the Magic on Saturday.

Today started with a buffet breakfast in our Hotel. with out a doubt, the best Buffet Breakfast ever. The choices were nothing you would find at golden corral. The basic scrambled eggs and bacon plus dim sum,fresh salmon, meats, cheeses, fruits, pasteries, fresh juices, a wonderful fresh chocolate spread which i slathered on poundcake.

We toured Barcelona today, Unbelievable!!! The old city still has the church that Columbus brought the natives. Weirdly I had my first weepy moment. when our guide Eva was talking about Columbus. Knowing that he stood on the steps that were right in front of me really was an emotional moment for me. The La Sagrada Familia Cathedral was a work of art. (most of Barcelona is) After a lunch of Tapas at Can Travi Nou Restaurant we spent the afternoon in the Gothic Quarter (this is where I had my Columbus moment) we Did alittle shopping, stopped in a tiny bar called "Cheers" for a cold drink. Followed by more shopping chocolate, earrings,A gift for Stella)and a nice walk back to our hotel for a shower and change and fresh spackle on my face and we were out the door for dinner. We took a cab ride back to where we had lunch. It was a beautiful country farm that had been turned in to a restaurant. It's all I could do not to fall asleep, Way too much walking and wine has taken it's toll on my old body. The cab ride home was really a wild ride. At one point,while going thru a tunnel I felt my life was in danger... the entire time Walter is in the front seat and the driver Michael, Miguel what ever his name was kept talking and talking and Walter says " hey buddy, you do know we don't speak Spanish. He kept saying.. "I'm A really good driver", We were all laughing so hard, even the driver) But, I was happy to se our hotel (after he took us to the wrong one first).

Did I tell you about the Hotel Bar??? I'll have to tell you tomorrow, I am so tired and need to sleep. Early day tomorrow as we ride a funicular up the mountainside to Montserrat to check out the monks.

time for bed,

tata,

T., Awesome trip reporting.

So, y'all didn't do any of the local chocolate bar hopping? My MIL loved Barcelona when she was there for New Years '09/'10.

Question.... Why don't they have wash clothes in the bathroom at the hotel??? What's up with that??? Watched Criminal minds in Spanish last night. The young guy with the long hair... can't remember his name, sounded like he was a girl.

ok, I am out for the day. got a date with some Monks,

tata,

I just asked NC Beast if he remembered if he had washcloths when he spent a month in Spain as a teenager (his family hosted an exchange student so it started a frienship between the families).

When we spent August 2001 in Ireland and Belgium, we had definitely had them at the house that my in-laws rented (it was Americanized home), B&B in the Dublin suburbs, and not 100%...the one night stay in a boutique style hotel in Brussels.

Sounds like you are having a great time so far, and I am really enjoying seeing all the photos on Facebook! Have a great day! :)

Teresa,

I'm enjoying your reports:thumbsup2

Tell Pete & Walter that we said HI

Louise & Mark

Teresa, enjoy Montserrat! I'm so jealous of your wonderful tour of Barcelona!!! (ps, the other family would have to be boarding the Magic with you. You can only book the Barcelona add-on in conjunction with a DCL Med cruise!) It must be fabulous to have 2 Guides and such a tiny group!!!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter