I know it's a long way off... but.. 2018 Dopey

Haven't been on the boards much in the past few months, but we've had Dopey circled for 2018 for over a year now -- eyeing it that year as a one and done for the anniversary medals (10k, Marathon, and Dopey). As 2x Goofy vets, we're less intimidated by the mileage than by the streak rising at 2:30 a.m...

Regarding the earlier registration date, somebody probably touched on it, but I think it has to do with the troubles of selling out Goofy (and now Dopey this year). They try breaking them up late in the game for additional half and marathon sales, but it's simply been too late IMO to draw people in even for those -- people are either going to feel too stressed to train in the remaining time or they've probably already booked another half or full marathon. Setting the registration earlier will allow them to split up any unsold Goofy and Dopey registrations sooner, providing a better chance at actually selling more of those spots if necessary.

I'll second what FFigawi offered. I'm just an average jogger (|<---- this close to age 50 --->|) and have found that training for the marathon more than covers running Goofy or Dopey. That is, provided one does solid training for the marathon. I say that because of one younger co-worker that ran the local marathon on less than adequate training. They finished but if they were doing a half/full back-to-back they would not have been able to complete that challenge. But some of the more gifted people blessed with natural athletic ability can get away with completing a marathon on less than adequate training. I wouldn't recommend that for Goofy or Dopey.

Assuming you are adequately trained, the BIGGEST factor I found in running the Goofy or Dopey isn't the running - it's those daggone early mornings!!! The four early mornings (to me, at least) are every bit of a challenge as the 48 miles of running!

I heard that from so many people at W&D about Dopey. "The mornings is what kill you" otherwise I think everyone that has completed the Dopey says the same thing. If you can complete a marathon, the actual act of "running" the 48 miles is more about a good strategy and sacrificing time in the parks. I don't see how anyone could do much of anything Saturday afternoon other then rest for example and staying low key on Friday is probably advisable, but there could be some super humans out there I guess!

Last edited:
I heard that from so many people at W&D about Dopey. "The mornings is what kill you" otherwise I think everyone that has completed the Dopey says the same thing. If you can complete a marathon, the actual act of "running" the 48 miles is more about a good strategy and sacrificing time in the parks. I don't see how anyone could do much of anything Saturday afternoon other then rest for example and staying low key on Friday is probably advisable, but there could be some super humans out there I guess!

:wave:

Count me as "super human" then. I do 95% of everything the rest of the family does on vacation (except in bed at 6pm) which includes lots of park time on everyday including Saturday. This will be my 4th Dopey and if I stay injury free up till race day my plan is to attempt the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge (PR all 6 distances as non-first attempts). I guess we'll see if 2017 is the lucky year I do it. I am able to fall asleep quite easily regardless of time of day, so the early waking doesn't bother me that much as I get plenty of sleep. I use to work 3rd shift about 13 years ago, so it was a necessary learned skill. The key to me is practice what you want to do in training. ::yes::

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it the more I want to do Goofy - and now I'm wondering how fast people think it will sell out. Right now, it looks like I could register for almost everything Marathon Weekend related now, with the race very close. So part of me wonders if it's necessary to register so early for a potential Goofy. But then part of me knows it's an anniversary year too. Any guesses? I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and register as early as possible or if I should play the waiting game based on this year's registrations.

Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it the more I want to do Goofy - and now I'm wondering how fast people think it will sell out. Right now, it looks like I could register for almost everything Marathon Weekend related now, with the race very close. So part of me wonders if it's necessary to register so early for a potential Goofy. But then part of me knows it's an anniversary year too. Any guesses? I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and register as early as possible or if I should play the waiting game based on this year's registrations.

Pure guess, but as long as they don't dramatically reduce the Goofy bibs you'll probably be safe for at least a few months if not until the last possible moment. Although, if you had polled people pre-2017 signups I think most would have thought Dopey would have sold out at some point and not pretty much gone the whole period. So who knows?

It's a tough guess I agree. I really doubt Goofy will sell out for a few months if it even does so I would guess you would be safe to wait. The marathon anniversary could help Goofy's sell faster, but maybe not since it's the 5th of Dopey & that will pull more people to it that want a challenge maybe. Plus registration is earlier now which might slow people down on registering so early too. I'm planning on registering for something (marathon I think) & I'm sure I'll just register day of as there's no reason for me not to & than I know it's said & done. Too bad they don't do the percentages of sold out their site anymore, that was nice to see.

Dealing with the fact that I am set back a year so instead of completing Dopey 6 months before I turn 50...it will be 6 months after in 2019! Still gong to be following along for all the great tips!

I too will be doing Dopey in 2019- 9 mths after my 50th. My B-day gift to myself! And a way to mentally deal with that milestone.
I am planning a 1.4 mile run on property on Expo Day- so I will have done "50 miles on WDW" in 5 days for my 50th!
Maybe we need to see how many other 50 year olds we can get to join us???
PM me and let's chat!

I am in for Dopey 2018. Are we really supposed to register for it on Feb 14th?? That seems crazy. I used a TA this year (for the half), but I think I'm going to try to go directly through RunDisney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter