• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I feel so poor...

Disney is pricing us out of our park focus. I see the park reservation system, the 2p hopping, the increased ticket pricing, G+, increased pricing of everything (food, rooms, clothing, souvenirs) and the removal of included services to be an indicator that Disney is focusing the parks on the one-time family vacationer.

As retirees, the current economy and stock market direction has us more motivated to enjoy the Floridian resorts. As DVC members our room costs are reduced (which was the point of joining). The food is helped by grocery orders so we're eat out less at WDW.

Disney is pricing us out of our park focus. I see the park reservation system, the 2p hopping, the increased ticket pricing, G+, increased pricing of everything (food, rooms, clothing, souvenirs) and the removal of included services to be an indicator that Disney is focusing the parks on the one-time family vacationer.

As retirees, the current economy and stock market direction has us more motivated to enjoy the Floridian resorts. As DVC members our room costs are reduced (which was the point of joining). The food is helped by grocery orders so we're eat out less at WDW.
Good point about the possible focus on the one-time family vacationer. I never really thought about that as something Disney hats sit around and talk about. Interesting!

Disney made clear in their own words they do not want repeat guests they want the one time or one time every ? years people its no secret they spend more. The flip side is when recession comes and people can't travel they have DVC (we are DVC) who still have to use or loss their points also not an unknown secret for Disney. But in the end they have lost sight of who really pays their bills and those are repeat guests. I was around for the early 2000 crash (many of the same as today from tickets pricing on and a great economy until it wasn't) and Disney revamped their pricing to get people to come I would suspect the same will happen in the coming years. How and what they will do? But lets say without repeat guests their whole concept will fail... People going every year or more certainly puts the idea of what am i missing in a persons head who has never been.

Our deeply indebted national government actually benefits from inflation. They pour money into the economy. (Sometimes it has the effect of convincing more people to vote for the political party in power when they did that.). Then inflation follows because there is too much money chasing goods and services. But the government can use dollars that buy less to pay down the earlier debt incurred when dollars had more value. Example, $3 buys a gallon of gas. Inflation comes. Now $6 buys a gallon of gas. But the taxes collected on $6 are now used to pay the debt incurred when the value of the dollar was $3 per gallon. Cheaper dollars to pay the debt.
Assuming they are paying it down.

Our deeply indebted national government actually benefits from inflation. They pour money into the economy. (Sometimes it has the effect of convincing more people to vote for the political party in power when they did that.). Then inflation follows because there is too much money chasing goods and services. But the government can use dollars that buy less to pay down the earlier debt incurred when dollars had more value. Example, $3 buys a gallon of gas. Inflation comes. Now $6 buys a gallon of gas. But the taxes collected on $6 are now used to pay the debt incurred when the value of the dollar was $3 per gallon. Cheaper dollars to pay the debt.
Combine all that with a supply issue and the debt keeps increasing.

For us, it’s not just pricing us out of park focus. It’s so many negative changes they’ve made. They have completely changed the way people visit WDW (removal of DME, EMH, & FP). We haven’t visited since they implemented Genie and among the Disboards, friends & coworkers, I haven’t heard a single positive comment about it. I don’t want to spend half of my vacation time on my phone.
We went once post pandemic, in March 2021, once we were vaccinated. I got my fix but I have no desire to return with what they’ve done to it. The outrageous resort and ticket prices prevent me from being tempted.

That is the theory of it, but it s even worse when they do not pay it at all. Kick in the teeth to the younger generations.
They print money to buy debt. It’s the only way the can keep the debt market from imploding. China and Japan have reduced their US treasury holdings of late. The volatility In the 10 year last week was interesting to say the least.

For us, it’s not just pricing us out of park focus. It’s so many negative changes they’ve made. They have completely changed the way people visit WDW (removal of DME, EMH, & FP). We haven’t visited since they implemented Genie and among the Disboards, friends & coworkers, I haven’t heard a single positive comment about it. I don’t want to spend half of my vacation time on my phone.
We went once post pandemic, in March 2021, once we were vaccinated. I got my fix but I have no desire to return with what they’ve done to it. The outrageous resort and ticket prices prevent me from being tempted.

This! I check in occasionally to see if things are improving but it isn’t happening yet. Demand has been so strong. We can afford Disney vacations but don’t see the value right now (experience + price). We normally do annual passes at DL every other year and WDW in between. We haven’t been back since covid. We miss it, but it sounds like the current experience is much different. At this point we’ve decided to hold off another year. There are plenty of other places to vacation

Post ME and FP+ it is definitely less of an experience. For us it is not such a big deal. The new rides are for the younger generation (RofR and MMT) so I don't feel I'm missing much there but I do feel that the long standby lines for the rides I usually like with the only option to be paid for over and above the ticket price is wrong.

I feel like the value is not there in terms of the hotel prices. They were always expensive for what you got, but now they are truly outrageous. People seem to still be paying but not sure how long that will last once we get beyond the famous 'pent up demand'.
I so agree with you on this. I'm one who has always felt Disney lodging was too expensive for what is offered and have always stayed offsite unless DH had a conference onsite and his company was paying (That means that I have stayed onsite four times).

And OP I feel your pain.

Offsite is much less expensive, BUT boy did I miss being able to do rope drop on my last visit (now only onsite get that). And as an offsite visitor I couldn't get the pay lightening lanes either during a busy spring break week.

So for me, I refuse to pay onsite prices, but I don't like that offsite I don't get rope drop which leaves me skipping the place for the most part. Since I have relatives in the area though, I do think I'll be back for the occasional one day visit as an offsite visitor to the MK just for the vibe and to do mostly low key low line rides off season. I'll buy that Genie pass to skip a few lines and keep expectations low. I wonder though if I'll ever go back to any of the other WDW parks. I imagine that my mini Orlando trip to visit relatives might include one day at the MK and one day at SeaWorld, but that's about it. I like the HP areas, but Universal just isn't my thing either (more of a one and done). Doubt I'll be visiting Orlando as much as I have in the past.

Since we are all having fun expressing frivolous / fun opinions, let me say that I think OPs post is entirely appropriate for a Disney budget board (just my opinion, of course and I'm fine with others saying they disagree). IMHO What's the main thing we talk about -- Disney -- totally first world -- totally frivolous -- not really in the real world, more of an escapism place. And I think we all have nostalgia or some love for the place or why in the heck would be be on this forum.

Last edited:
I so agree with you on this. I'm one who has always felt Disney lodging was too expensive for what is offered and have always stayed offsite unless DH had a conference onsite and his company was paying (That means that I have stayed onsite four times).

And OP I feel your pain.

Offsite is much less expensive, BUT boy did I miss being able to do rope drop on my last visit (now only onsite get that). And as an offsite visitor I couldn't get the pay lightening lanes either during a busy spring break week either.

So for me, I refuse to pay onsite prices, but I don't like that offsite I don't get rope drop which leaves me skipping the place for the most part.

Anyone can rope drop whether they are onsite or not. Only onsite and partner hotels get the early entry hours. When we were last there (January 2022), early entry made a big difference even though we were never at the start of the early entry crowd. I can only imagine how advantageous it is for those who are near the start of the early entry lines.

However, I have to agree that onsite prices right now are mind-boggling to me. We stay onsite only because we have prepaid for the rooms (via DVC). Without that, we would not be staying onsite right now.

Last edited:
I don't know, it really depends on what you define as "poor". You can be classed as poor without being homeless, and there are tons of people who are only a pay or two from actually being homeless, yet they continue to behave as though they have loads of money to throw around.

I'm a pay to pay person. At one time I got lucky, and my family decided to have a "family vacation" (since we'd never had one when I was living with them) and they sprung for the trip to WDW. I figured it would be a once in a lifetime trip, and the time off work nearly bankrupted me. And that was with my parents paying for almost everything (with debt, I later learned). Fast forward some years, and my SO and I scraped together enough for a couple days at Disney, with employee and friends and family rates at hotels, while we were on our way through Florida for other reasons. I haven't been able to afford to go back since, yet I'm still on the boards.

In fact, I haven't had a vacation at all in years. Not just travelling, but time off work at all. I didn't get a single vacation day last year, 1 so far this year (which was really to go to an appointment) and I haven't been able to take a sick day this year. Yet I'm still on the boards.

Sometimes it's about escapism, or just wanting to dream that someday I might be able to go back. And sometimes I have to go away for a long time, because it's depressing to realize that I can barely keep a roof over my head let alone thing about going anywhere.
It sounds like you live within your means, and I hope you can save up and go again. I could never afford to take my kids to Disney when they were growing up. I didn't start going to Disney until I was in my 50's and my kids have all gone as adults. On the other hand, I know many people who can't afford to go but pile up credit card debt and go every year. A few of them have gone bankrupt and don't have to pay it back. Yes, there credit is bad for about 7 years but then they can get credit cards again. And they start all over with the debt. Something in this scenario doesn't seem right.

I started going down to Orlando (from IL) even more during the pandemic. Cheap flights with Frontier helped. Last few times I’ve been down there “going to Disney” has meant having lunch at a resort hotel. The parks are just a poor value. $120 or whatever it is now just to walk around crowds and stand in line. No thanks.

They print money to buy debt. It’s the only way the can keep the debt market from imploding. China and Japan have reduced their US treasury holdings of late. The volatility In the 10 year last week was interesting to say the least.
Maybe the cataclysmic events the gold bugs have warned about for years are about to come true.

Maybe the cataclysmic events the gold bugs have warned about for years are about to come true.
It depends on how much longer the central bank's magic toolboxes will continue to work. I don't know what will happen with Gold, but I do think the Euro is going to implode in the next year or so, and then who knows. They certainly haven't kept their plans a secret.

It sounds like you live within your means, and I hope you can save up and go again. I could never afford to take my kids to Disney when they were growing up. I didn't start going to Disney until I was in my 50's and my kids have all gone as adults. On the other hand, I know many people who can't afford to go but pile up credit card debt and go every year. A few of them have gone bankrupt and don't have to pay it back. Yes, there credit is bad for about 7 years but then they can get credit cards again. And they start all over with the debt. Something in this scenario doesn't seem right.
I try, but the cost of living is out of control and employers around here just don't pay well enough. Until covid I'd been working 2 jobs and getting by, but one of the jobs went away when everything shut down. and I haven't been able to replace it yet.

When we went I was also an adult living on my own. The racked up debt to do it, but they'd also planned it as a once in a lifetime trip because we'd never had a family vacation (not even something local). In a way I wish they hadn't, because I never knew what I was missing. I also know I'm lucky, because for so many people a vacation will never happen for them.

I try, but the cost of living is out of control and employers around here just don't pay well enough. Until covid I'd been working 2 jobs and getting by, but one of the jobs went away when everything shut down. and I haven't been able to replace it yet.

When we went I was also an adult living on my own. The racked up debt to do it, but they'd also planned it as a once in a lifetime trip because we'd never had a family vacation (not even something local). In a way I wish they hadn't, because I never knew what I was missing. I also know I'm lucky, because for so many people a vacation will never happen for them.
At one point in time my sister had three jobs going. Right now everyone seems to need help. I don't know what happened to all the work force. My daughter works for a school and they can't even find enough drivers for the busses. Disney still isn't at full capacity due to hiring issues. Where have all the workers gone? Do what you can to save up for a trip. I know you can make it happen!

Anyone can rope drop whether they are onsite or not. Only onsite and partner hotels get the early entry hours. When we were last there (January 2022), early entry made a big difference even though we were never at the start of the early entry crowd. I can only imagine how advantageous it is for those who are near the start of the early entry lines.

However, I have to agree that onsite prices right now are mind-boggling to me. We stay onsite only because we have prepaid for the rooms (via DVC). Without that, we would not be staying onsite right now.
I've been visiting since 1971 and previously was almost always at the front of rope drop (never visiting when there were extra magic morning hours). We used to almost always be some of the first people in the park and on certain attractions. We really enjoyed those first two park hours typically in the past.

We were there early this last March too and at the front of the line for offsite visitors, but it was not too fun waiting while onsite visitors were starting their day and we were just watching them waiting for our turn. The first two hours were not nearly so magical as they were for us in the past. We got maybe one ride with a walk on line, but that was about it. I didn't like not having that perk, but all that said, I do think that with how much onsite visitors are paying for their hotel rooms / condos / campsites, that they should have certain perks. But as much as I really love that first people rope drop perk, I'm just not willing to pay for it. WDW lodging prices are higher than what seems reasonable to me for what you get..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter